Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
App13
Dec 31, 2011

God drat, I hate the feeing of knowing that you're going to fail a course. My physics class has just been systematically kicking my rear end. First test, 50%, second test 30%, third test tomorrow morning.

90% average in lab and homework, but the tests always absolutely destroy me. No curve for the course, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
If I don't have to ever divide polynomials via long division again, it'll be too soon. Holy gently caress, I just couldn't get a single thing right today when doing the assignment.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Oh, while we're posting good news, it looks like I'll be doing some work down in Florida over the summer. Non-mil, but mil-related. Gonna live on the beach and get a sweet beer gut.

Florida loving sucks and you got screwed.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lol if you don't have a chegg subscription

Differential Equations would probably take literally all day to do 9 problems and now just takes 2 or 3 hours simply copying stuff down.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
lol if you don't voc rehab and buy new books at the book store and rack up the biggest loving bill you can, smuggly smile, and sign the little electronic pad.

Feels extra good to say "wow, $800 for four classes worth of books, they really rob you here huh?!" loud enough for the poor people behind you in line to hear.

Then sell them back at the end of the semester.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

lol if you don't have a chegg subscription

Differential Equations would probably take literally all day to do 9 problems and now just takes 2 or 3 hours simply copying stuff down.

I have a chegg subscription that I let people access for $5/mo. I make $20 profit and change the pw every month to make sure people are honest.

Done it for two semesters now.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Kuroyama posted:

If I don't have to ever divide polynomials via long division again, it'll be too soon. Holy gently caress, I just couldn't get a single thing right today when doing the assignment.

Seriously. gently caress college algebra. My instructor is the worst

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Grem posted:

lol if you don't voc rehab and buy new books at the book store and rack up the biggest loving bill you can, smuggly smile, and sign the little electronic pad.

Feels extra good to say "wow, $800 for four classes worth of books, they really rob you here huh?!" loud enough for the poor people behind you in line to hear.

Then sell them back at the end of the semester.

lol if you don't buy the books labeled "NOT FOR CIRCULATION OUTSIDE OF THE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT" from shady amazon sellers that are only different in that they're paperback for $15

It's outright criminal publishers will sell poo poo for pennies on the dollar to poors overseas but charge $300 here because "heh dumbass American college students are too stupid to shop around and will put it all on their loan tab anyway" and they think a publisher specifically labeling a book a certain way is legally binding (it's not, but they still do it anyway for whatever reason).

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 22, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's not legally binding in the sense that they'll throw the distributer in jail, but they'll cut the supply contract to anybody that gets caught. Textbooks are a scam all the way around, so the publishers will basically threaten to cut anybody's nuts off that dare expose that fact.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Genocide Tendency posted:

Florida loving sucks and you got screwed.

:(

Is it possible just to hide out in my trailer on the beach for the whole summer and not have to deal with Floridians?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is it possible just to hide out in my trailer on the beach for the whole summer and not have to deal with Floridians?

In theory, yes, but you'd have to mask your scent.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Deathy McDeath posted:

No. and if you have to drive anywhere lol.

This place loving sucks and belongs on the bottom of the Atlantic.

The only thing redeeming about this hell hole is that there is a boarder. Which means you can actually leave.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I live in one of the liberal counties in the state despite being surrounded by the most conservative in the country. It's really not bad up here. You go anywhere very far south of I-10, though, you're in florida florida and will get large doses of florida man whether you like it or not.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vasudus posted:

It's not legally binding in the sense that they'll throw the distributer in jail, but they'll cut the supply contract to anybody that gets caught. Textbooks are a scam all the way around, so the publishers will basically threaten to cut anybody's nuts off that dare expose that fact.

Not like it's particularly difficult to get the monkeymodel books anyway, but they could be a little less blatant with their scam because several hundreds of dollars in price discrepancy for the same material minus color printing is entering into hilariously exploitative territory.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I just try to pirate pdfs

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Not like it's particularly difficult to get the monkeymodel books anyway, but they could be a little less blatant with their scam because several hundreds of dollars in price discrepancy for the same material minus color printing is entering into hilariously exploitative territory.

STEM & medicine courses are great in that literally every science textbook I've needed since going back to school has been available for free on torrent websites. Chem/Biology/Organic/Phyiscs I & II, Biochemistry, Statistics, Genetics, Evolutionary Biology, Microbiology, Neurobiology & Endocrine Physiology in undergrad, then pretty much all of medical school Y1 has been available in the newest edition. I just download them onto my iPad and blow the GI Bill on fun stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've stopped buying text books for my master's courses because I never end up using them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I usually don't buy textbooks until I'm 100% sure we need them. And almost every novel I had to read in lit classes is available in the library.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kuroyama posted:

I would like to adjust my previous viewpoint. It's not the math that sucks, gently caress WebAssign's online homework assignments.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

gently caress WebAssign's online homework assignments.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Online homework is actually really nice in my opinion, because online or not the answers are all online so at least with online homework you don't need to write all your work down to turn in.

On the other hand, being forced to show your work imprints the method into your brain better, even if it takes longer.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Justin Tyme posted:

Online homework is actually really nice in my opinion, because online or not the answers are all online so at least with online homework you don't need to write all your work down to turn in.

On the other hand, being forced to show your work imprints the method into your brain better, even if it takes longer.

It's for a math class, so I do all the work by hand, and just put in the final answer. But one of my major complaints is that it's so clunky putting in the answer, everything takes another 30 minutes longer than it should. Plus, each individual answer I put in is just one point, so there are times when one problem out of at least 20 is worth half the grade.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I had a class that had a MyMathLab portion.

gently caress MyMathLab.

gently caress MyMathLab right in the ear.

It is obnoxious as poo poo and takes forever to enter your answer and then it tells you the answer is wrong when you factored something one way and not another or wrote AB instead of BA. Of course all it tells you is "Yeah that's wrong" and when someone is attempting to LEARN something math based and you tell them an answer is wrong with zero further feedback you have no idea if they wanted BA or if you've completely hosed up the entire answer from the ground up and have to re-do everything. Every MyMathLab assignment became a group project in that class and nobody payed any attention to it beyond copy/pasting the answer in as fast as possible so we could get the homework credit then everyone went to Khan academy to actually learn what the gently caress was being taught.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I had to use mymathlab this semester and my experience was completely the opposite. Either it's gotten better, or maybe it's because I was doing algebra for retards.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I had to use WileyPlus for Calc 2 and it was a nightmare getting the thing to figure out what I wanted.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
For: MyMathLab
Against: WebAssign

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

bird food bathtub posted:

I had a class that had a MyMathLab portion.

gently caress MyMathLab.

gently caress MyMathLab right in the ear.

It is obnoxious as poo poo and takes forever to enter your answer and then it tells you the answer is wrong when you factored something one way and not another or wrote AB instead of BA. Of course all it tells you is "Yeah that's wrong" and when someone is attempting to LEARN something math based and you tell them an answer is wrong with zero further feedback you have no idea if they wanted BA or if you've completely hosed up the entire answer from the ground up and have to re-do everything. Every MyMathLab assignment became a group project in that class and nobody payed any attention to it beyond copy/pasting the answer in as fast as possible so we could get the homework credit then everyone went to Khan academy to actually learn what the gently caress was being taught.

Replace "MyMathLab" with"WebAssign" and you have my situation.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
For: writing down the answer on a piece of paper and turning it in
Against: all that bullshit

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

For: Yoga Butts
Against: not yoga butts

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kuroyama posted:

Replace "MyMathLab" with"WebAssign" and you have my situation.

I had WebAssign for Calc III and DiffEq and it worked really well. It wasn't picky about variable order or whatever that guy's talking about. (A/B)^2 worked just as well as B^(-2) * A * A, it just had to work out to the same answer. Occasionally the programmed answer was just wrong, and that was frustrating, but overall I think it must have been a huge boon to the community college professor with no TA not to have to grade written homework.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anybody have experiences trying to get a mortgage on GI bill money? I'm moving again soon and the rent costs in the area are absurdly inflated when I could just buy a house.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just submitted a resume to a company that is out in the rear end end of nowhere. If I get it I think I'm going to put the majority of my possessions at my mom's house and plot to see how quickly I can jump ship for someplace better. No sense moving a bunch of stuff and then doing it again 6 months later.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

M_Gargantua posted:

Anybody have experiences trying to get a mortgage on GI bill money? I'm moving again soon and the rent costs in the area are absurdly inflated when I could just buy a house.

A lot of places don't count education benefits as income because it's not stable enough for them. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may be very, very hard to do.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

not caring here posted:

A lot of places don't count education benefits as income because it's not stable enough for them. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may be very, very hard to do.

It is drat near impossible because you aren't taxed on it. I did get a mortgage with VA disability income factored in though.

Alloy
Aug 15, 2004
Rocks the Universe
I have been absolutely unable to bring myself to write this term paper and its due this Thursday. Guess I'll just fail out

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Zeris posted:

It is drat near impossible because you aren't taxed on it. I did get a mortgage with VA disability income factored in though.

This is what aim gonna have to try to do in a few months with a part time job factored in. A work study if I am lucky.

How does pay work for the lull periods? My last class is the 12th and my next is the 26th of Jan.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
You get paid for 12 days in December on the 1st of January, and 5 days of January on February 1st.

Lull periods suck but hopefully you can last til them grants come in!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I managed to get my loan officer to role my education benefits in to my disability benefits as generic "VA benefits" whilst being fully honest with them about what they were.

Though YMMV because they weren't scrutinizing my income that hard cause my wife's was plenty for the mortgage, mine was just nudging the interest rate matrix.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think I used MyMathLab for a stats course a while back. It wasn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Alloy posted:

I have been absolutely unable to bring myself to write this term paper and its due this Thursday. Guess I'll just fail out

Just re-enlist! also enjoy paying for the classes you fail

• Locked thread