Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

fish and chips and dip posted:

I found this facebook group today https://www.facebook.com/asiansnotbrainwashbymedia/ I was reading about an industrial accident in Jiangxi and there was a comment by this group on the article saying it was fake (the accident was reported by Xinhua). It's so over the top I have problems determining whether it's real or satire.

Industrial accident in question https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/11/24/china-power-plant-collapse-kills-least-40-xinhua/

I remember walking up to one of those massive 30+ storey apartment buildings they were putting up in Shenyang, to get a better look at the bamboo scaffolding. It was spring festival, so nobody was around. As I approached the building I noticed that the concrete looked really rough. I got closer and saw that it was in really, really bad shape. Like what you would expect so see if you tried pouring in the winter and the moisture inside froze and started to cause the concrete to spall and break apart. I walked over to the next one which was further along and saw that they would cover the entire building with a 1/4" coat of decent concrete (parging) and then paint it to give it an attractive look.

You couldn't pay me to live in a Chinese apartment block that has been built in the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Blistex posted:

I remember walking up to one of those massive 30+ storey apartment buildings they were putting up in Shenyang, to get a better look at the bamboo scaffolding. It was spring festival, so nobody was around. As I approached the building I noticed that the concrete looked really rough. I got closer and saw that it was in really, really bad shape. Like what you would expect so see if you tried pouring in the winter and the moisture inside froze and started to cause the concrete to spall and break apart. I walked over to the next one which was further along and saw that they would cover the entire building with a 1/4" coat of decent concrete (parging) and then paint it to give it an attractive look.

You couldn't pay me to live in a Chinese apartment block that has been built in the last 20 years.

Then where would you live?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I thought those kinds of buildings were just so the government could pay them compensation when they come to demolish it? The more floors, the more RMB!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
The thing that I like the least about cool/cold weather or winter in China is that suddenly everyone looks like they are coming back from a funeral. Black, black, and more black, or grays and navys. The random girl/grannie in bright red or the college kid wearing a multi-colored jacket sets it apart, but not enough that the somber look of an entire populace can be brightened.

Today is 19C/66F and people have their scarves and heavy winter clothes on. At lunch I went to Gong Cha for a bubble tea and they weren't making cold drinks. She finally agreed to make it cold, but said there was no ice, because it's cold outside. Except for the people doing exercise, I was the only person not wearing a coat or sweatshirt outside.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Students today were sitting in their classroom wearing multiple coats. The heater was set to 30 C (around 90 F) and the room was indeed 30 C, no windows to let the heat out.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grand Fromage posted:

Students today were sitting in their classroom wearing multiple coats. The heater was set to 30 C (around 90 F) and the room was indeed 30 C, no windows to let the heat out.

It's winter, cold, don't you know?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess Southern China has a quasi-tropical climate and that's why people can't handle slightly lower temperatures?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

I guess Southern China has a quasi-tropical climate and that's why people can't handle slightly lower temperatures?
Yes. My boss has been in SZ for 20 years and said it sometimes gets to about 4C/39F at night, but otherwise it is much better than the rest of the smog and coal blanket that blows black snow across the rest of the country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sichuan (the not-Himalayas part) is like... Georgia or South Carolina climate, maybe? Florida at the most. Southerners are wimps about cold but it's nothing like here. Wearing coats in 90 degree heat because it's winter and therefore winter is cold is not something I have ever observed in the US.

Koreans act the same way and that poo poo isn't even close to tropical.

E: Also an inability to process the idea that people from different environments have different tolerances. I get that people here get colder than me because I'm from the north. I literally cannot count how many "Aren't you cold?" "No." "But it's cold outside." "I'm from the north, this isn't cold to me." conversations I've had with the exact same people, over and over, every single day, for years. It never sticks.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 24, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Sounds more like everybody just dresses like northern folks because "it's the time of year you bundle up", no matter what. Like everybody thinks "It's November! Time to dress like we live in Minnesota and crank the heat up!" even though they're in Florida while everybody in Minnesota is like "Fresh air is good for you, crank the windows open and fire up the coal stoves!" no matter how cold they are.

Back when everybody was complaining about AQI in the thread I was loving miserable because people here in Minnesota were going "It's November! Time to burn wood in the fireplace!" even though it was like 70 loving degrees in the daytime (normal high: 48) and the AQI rocketed up to the 60's.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What it reminds me of is British Empire guys wearing five layers and overcoats in India and Hong Kong and poo poo and complaining about the heat but refusing to take anything off because you might catch your death from a chill miasma or whatever the gently caress nonsense they believed in at the time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather, but I just go out for a run to keep my body warm. The worst part about cold weather in the sub tropics is that the temperature change can be relatively drastic and yo-yo back and forth between balmy/hot/muggy. It's 21/25 and then suddenly it's 13 or something stupid. Then the day after it's 21 again. It's not cold here in southern China, but the weather is still miserable. Mostly grey skies, high humidity, bad insulation. Heck, going outside you might even feel warmer than staying inside because of the sun light. Your clothes never dry and in poorer built homes, pools of condensation form on the tiles and mold grows everywhere.

But hey, it's winter and that means BBQ and hot pot season!

Living in the tropics means I can wear long sleeves shirt and jeans in 34C no problem

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also an inability to process the idea that people from different environments have different tolerances. I get that people here get colder than me because I'm from the north. I literally cannot count how many "Aren't you cold?" "No." "But it's cold outside." "I'm from the north, this isn't cold to me." conversations I've had with the exact same people, over and over, every single day, for years. It never sticks.
When I was in the USA I added a foreign (Chinese) student on Wechat. Within the first five minutes she asked me "WHY DO YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS WEAR T-SHIRTS OUTSIDE WHEN IT IS COLD?" but it wasn't even cold yet. Her mind was blown seeing people wear t-shirts when it wasn't cold, just because the month or season meant it was supposed to be cold, even if it wasn't.

MisterOblivious posted:

Sounds more like everybody just dresses like northern folks because "it's the time of year you bundle up", no matter what. Like everybody thinks "It's November! Time to dress like we live in Minnesota and crank the heat up!" even though they're in Florida while everybody in Minnesota is like "Fresh air is good for you, crank the windows open and fire up the coal stoves!" no matter how cold they are.
In China it goes along with what the highly unscientific traditional calendar says is the season. Just like Spring Festival is never actually in Spring, and this year is even earlier in January, whatever the season the calendar says it must be the truth. People get so weird that calendar, and I regularly meet people that can't figure out their birthday by non-Chinese calendar. I had a girl last week need to use an app to find out she was born in December because she only knew her Chinese lunar calendar birthday.
Anyway, this year it became autumn in August or July or something and the mid-Autumn festival was in September and it's 33C/91F and people are eating cold weather foods because "now it is autumn, the body is easy to become cold." People I work with were turning off my fan when I'd go to the bathroom, and nobody wanted the AC on because it's "autumn."

Basically, there is no logic to any of this. You just do what you're supposed to do because something somewhere said so and that is that. Don't think for yourself about it, that's really, really bad and dumb.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Hm which one of you was the guy who knew a chinese girl/woman who was making a killing from peddling western quack "medicine"? Homeopathy or something?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Wait? They'd actually go for that rather than dismissing as inferior WESTERN medicine?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which region are cold months / warm months standardized to?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

caberham posted:

but I just go out for a run to keep my body warm.

That's a fun conversation no matter where you are, I imagine.

No, I'm not cold, I'm warmer than you. I'm literally sweating right now because I'm exercising in [clothes not suitable for lounging around in that weather] but I stopped moving.

For me it usually goes like:

(70 y/o) Aren't you cold like that?
Nah, I bike year round, I'm probably warmer than you right now
70 y/o looks at me funny wishing it was warmer out so they could tell me a story about how they liked riding bikes in the summer in their youth

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iO-zjhHvg4

I love China's knockoff movies

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Which region are cold months / warm months standardized to?

Probably central Yellow River a couple thousand years ago. So climate change + calendar drift is in there.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Also an inability to process the idea that people from different environments have different tolerances. I get that people here get colder than me because I'm from the north. I literally cannot count how many "Aren't you cold?" "No." "But it's cold outside." "I'm from the north, this isn't cold to me." conversations I've had with the exact same people, over and over, every single day, for years. It never sticks.

The Plun'Qing-Kruger effect

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Made using babbys first after effects

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Is it bad of me that I can never take it seriously when I see Asian media pushing those immaculately groomed twinky flower boys as badasses or heroes?

It's like when Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull cast Shia LaBeouf as a hard as nails greaser biker.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 24, 2016

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
"Teacher people in your country are very gay!" says the student giggling whilst sitting on his friends lap and watching some korean twinks wearing their sisters clothes on his phone. Later in the semester he does a presentation on why shane is his favourite member of westlife because he is the most handsurm.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is it bad of me that I can never take it seriously when I see Asian media pushing those immaculately groomed twinky flower boys as badasses or heroes?
People never seem to understand when I say that these pretty boys are wearing more make up than the women they share the screen with, and fall into the ladyboy-standard of facial gender-bending.
Thanks to this trope of waifish-Final-Fantasy-tween-anime-twink-IRL being the perfect desired look for the hero of TV and movies, I enjoy the fact that men wearing make up in China, Korea, and Japan is a regular thing as some guys have bought into the idea that looking like that is something to work towards.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
i cant believe it

its actually called the LingLong DingDong

i thought you guys were taking the piss

i have mentally regressed to a 12 year old and cant stop laughing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Whoreax posted:

i cant believe it

its actually called the LingLong DingDong

i thought you guys were taking the piss

i have mentally regressed to a 12 year old and cant stop laughing

Don't be immature, people in China are lining up to get their hands on the Ling Long Ding Dong.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

People never seem to understand when I say that these pretty boys are wearing more make up than the women they share the screen with, and fall into the ladyboy-standard of facial gender-bending.
Thanks to this trope of waifish-Final-Fantasy-tween-anime-twink-IRL being the perfect desired look for the hero of TV and movies, I enjoy the fact that men wearing make up in China, Korea, and Japan is a regular thing as some guys have bought into the idea that looking like that is something to work towards.

Someone put a racially insensitive Chinese hat on that guy and translate the text to PUTONGHUA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
In brief: I had a student read an article and watch a video, both about giant pandas and panda diplomacy. The video showed some guys from the Sichuan panda research site talking about pandas, whatever, they were going on in Sichuanhua.

Five second in my student blurts out "oooooh, they are so rude!"

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Kind of surprised researchers would make a video speaking their local "dialect" honestly.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

like over a decade ago I read some article where a dude did a survey about Japanese men wearing make up.

Seems men said they wore it cause women liked it, while women said they found it weird.

I think the point the author tried to make was that cosmetic companies figured they could boost profits if they got men to wear make up.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nickmeister posted:

Kind of surprised researchers would make a video speaking their local "dialect" honestly.

I was a little surprised too, but it was a kinda candid "watch these researchers with these pandas" video and not a formal "academic talking to the camera" kind of video

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Haier posted:

When I was in the USA I added a foreign (Chinese) student on Wechat. Within the first five minutes she asked me "WHY DO YOU PEOPLE ALWAYS WEAR T-SHIRTS OUTSIDE WHEN IT IS COLD?" but it wasn't even cold yet. Her mind was blown seeing people wear t-shirts when it wasn't cold, just because the month or season meant it was supposed to be cold, even if it wasn't.

In China it goes along with what the highly unscientific traditional calendar says is the season. Just like Spring Festival is never actually in Spring, and this year is even earlier in January, whatever the season the calendar says it must be the truth. People get so weird that calendar, and I regularly meet people that can't figure out their birthday by non-Chinese calendar. I had a girl last week need to use an app to find out she was born in December because she only knew her Chinese lunar calendar birthday.
Anyway, this year it became autumn in August or July or something and the mid-Autumn festival was in September and it's 33C/91F and people are eating cold weather foods because "now it is autumn, the body is easy to become cold." People I work with were turning off my fan when I'd go to the bathroom, and nobody wanted the AC on because it's "autumn."

Basically, there is no logic to any of this. You just do what you're supposed to do because something somewhere said so and that is that. Don't think for yourself about it, that's really, really bad and dumb.

If Chinese peoples bullshit radar is as broken as it seems; can't you just tell everyone that you spoke with [Highly regarded TCM guru] and he told you that cold is more gooder for healty than hot! and make everyone accept this as true?

What I'm asking is could you just lie your rear end off for fun and profit? Or would you just be met with tsk-tsk-ing Chinese?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Sheep-Goats posted:

Someone put a racially insensitive Chinese hat on that guy and translate the text to PUTONGHUA

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Potrzebie posted:

What I'm asking is could you just lie your rear end off for fun and profit? Or would you just be met with tsk-tsk-ing Chinese?
For China-related things, the foreigner would be met with some considerable "U DON'T UNDERSTAND CHINA." I have found that getting people to think thing are their own idea is easier and gooder.

LMAO. Saving this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nickmeister posted:

In Sichuan people believe their local language is the same as Mandarin so they tend not to learn Mandarin very well and just speak Sichuanhua.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How long until a SV startup makes a Haier 2000 bot to send overseas?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Just finished watching Dennis Rodman's Big Bang in PyongYang, truly North Korea IS best Korea!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grand Fromage posted:

In Sichuan people believe their local language is the same as Mandarin so they tend not to learn Mandarin very well and just speak Sichuanhua.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I recently struck up a friendship with a Sichuanese girl on wechat.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

How different is it? Like Standard German - Swiss German?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JaucheCharly posted:

How different is it? Like Standard German - Swiss German?

I don't know the language well enough to be sure but that sounds right. I learned standard German and Swiss German is loving nightmarish and incomprehensible, which is similar to how Mandarin speakers I know talk about Sichuanhua. Every native Mandarin speaker or native Cantonese then learned Mandarin speaker that I know finds Sichuanhua impossible. As someone who speaks very bad Mandarin, I also cannot understand a word of Sichuanhua. I've been in situations where there's a Sichuan-only speaker and a Mandarin-only speaker and someone has to translate between them. However it's not an entirely different language the way Cantonese and Mandarin are.

• Locked thread