Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most of my bootup time in the old days of "stick in a million external drives" was getting the USB-attached HDDs to spool up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It is immensely faster on newer systems not using things like Intel Raid and any other controller BIOS's. But even with most of that all turned off, the X79 is not a fast booter, no sir.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have an ASRock Celeron N3150 board with an "Ultra Fast Boot" option under the Fast Boot menu which causes it to use EFI wizardry to go into the bootloader almost instantaneously after power on. However, I actually didn't like it because as far as I can tell it locks you out of the boot menu and other EFI menus entirely and the only way to recover is to reset the CMOS settings via battery/jumper.

It seems like the thing that really drives up boot times is having extra menus like RAID controllers or network boot enabled. On an EFI system without those, it's typically only 1-3 seconds before I'm seeing the Windows splash or GRUB menu.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 22, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

I have an ASRock Celeron N3150 board with an "Ultra Fast Boot" option under the Fast Boot menu which causes it to use EFI wizardry to go into the bootloader almost instantaneously after power on. However, I actually didn't like it because as far as I can tell it locks you out of the boot menu and other EFI menus entirely and the only way to recover is to reset the CMOS settings via battery/jumper.

Also, it's heavily relying on the OS to actually get around to initializing all the USB devices, so you can end up with issues where your USB mouse/keyboard/storage won't initialize properly in the UEFI boot. Also, once you log into Windows you usually have to spend some time initializing those devices anyway so measured against a regular fast-boot it's not as much of a magic gain in time to system usability as you'd think, especially if you are in the habit of pressing the button to let your system boot up and then coming back to log in.

quote:

It seems like the thing that really drives up boot times is having extra menus like RAID controllers or network boot enabled. On an EFI system without those, it's typically only 1-3 seconds before I'm seeing the Windows splash or GRUB menu.

Yeah option ROMs kill your boot times. Regular fast boot is pretty much almost just as fast, all the real improvements are in Windows (they never really shut the kernel all the way down in Win8/8.1/10, it shuts everything in userspace down but the kernel hibernates to disk). All the Ultra Fast Boot is doing is skipping initializing some USB devices, you're saving maybe a second off a five-second boot tops, and you add at least a second in Windows before it's usable.

On some motherboards regular fast boot still means bypassing the POST screen which can make it challenging to get into the UEFI. There is not a good fix for this as far as I know, unless you have a motherboard with a UEFI mode button inside. I personally just have regular Slow Boot and wait an extra two seconds for it to POST since I have had issues with unrecoverable systems before. I love seeing Ye Olde American Megatrendes Inc. POST screen anyway, that big red triangle always takes me back to my first computer...

I think maybe there might be some way to make a boot disk that bounces back to UEFI/recovery mode though?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 22, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can shut down 8 or 10 while holding shift and you get an option to boot to UEFI BIOS settings.

Asus boards let you wire your reset button to a boot bios button also.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
From reddit, but apparently AMD just trademarked a bunch of names.

AMD RYZEN
AMD THREADRIPPER
AMD VARA
AMD JORO
AMD JITZU
AMD GROK

JFC AMD, fire your marketing team.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You could mix and match any two of those and have the name of a Star Wars character, maybe AMD is doing a Rogue One marketing tie-in

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is threadripper hyper threading? I assume Grok is an acronym or else oh boy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I grok Spock

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

First thing that came to mind (and yes I know "Grok" isn't his name, my mind is just random)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FaustianQ posted:

AMD THREADRIPPER

MODS

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

From reddit, but apparently AMD just trademarked a bunch of names.

AMD RYZEN
AMD THREADRIPPER
AMD VARA
AMD JORO
AMD JITZU
AMD GROK

JFC AMD, fire your marketing team.
unlike most of amd's marketing team's output, this is legitimately great

whoever bought me an unban and a titanfall 2 avatar: thanks! <3

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Welcome back.... HERETIC! :commissar:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Welcome back.... HERETIC! :commissar:
i'm likely to sell this thing for a vega because hahahah gently caress only 1 out of 3 drivers work on c226 motherboards :suicide:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There are so many things going on in these past two posts, I don't even know where to start.

That said, I could have told you a C226 was going to be utter pants, I've been talking about the octa-core VM machine for nigh on a year while salivating for Zen now, if I could have done it with a Xeon, I would have by now, except, as noted:

1) Intel wants way too much for more than 4 cores,
2) Octacores from Intel at prices that don't involve organ donation or annual budges are utter pants.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
This, right here? This stands to be the opening that AMD needs to take off like a rocketship this next year.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/11/17/intel-preferentially-offers-two-customers-skylake-xeon-cpus/

In short: Intel will make Purley(aka Skylake-EP) Xeons preferentially available to Google and Facebook, everyone else (And this includes big names like Amazon, Tencent, Alibaba, Baidu as well as OEMs like Dell, Lenovo, and HP Enterprise) won't have those same Xeons available to them until _Q2 2017_.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This, right here? This stands to be the opening that AMD needs to take off like a rocketship this next year.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/11/17/intel-preferentially-offers-two-customers-skylake-xeon-cpus/

In short: Intel will make Purley(aka Skylake-EP) Xeons preferentially available to Google and Facebook, everyone else (And this includes big names like Amazon, Tencent, Alibaba, Baidu as well as OEMs like Dell, Lenovo, and HP Enterprise) won't have those same Xeons available to them until _Q2 2017_.

If Google and Facebook are wiling to pay a 10k per tray premium, for as many trays as they can buy per quarter, Intel would be stupid to not jump on all the delicious free money. Sucks to be the rest of us, but we don't have retarded quantities of cash siting in fat stacks holding the datacenter room doors open.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is Skylake-EP the processor that would go into a theoretical trashcan Mac Pro refresh?
If so then surely Apple has no other choice than to go with AMD (or kill of the product line, heh).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If Google and Facebook are wiling to pay a 10k per tray premium, for as many trays as they can buy per quarter, Intel would be stupid to not jump on all the delicious free money. Sucks to be the rest of us, but we don't have retarded quantities of cash siting in fat stacks holding the datacenter room doors open.

Yeah, but at the cost of alienating everyone else? I mean, if AMD can just land Amazon, one other Chinese name (AMD has already locked up Alibaba with a deal to sell them Zen chips for their cloud service) and one of those hardware OEMs, AMD's revenue will explode in 2017.

And I don't think that's out of the question.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, but at the cost of alienating everyone else? I mean, if AMD can just land Amazon, one other Chinese name (AMD has already locked up Alibaba with a deal to sell them Zen chips for their cloud service) and one of those hardware OEMs, AMD's revenue will explode in 2017.

Oh yeah, there are going to be a hilariously large quantity of chapped asses over that particular move. Possibly enough to tell Intel to eat a bag of discount dicks and switch to AMD, assuming AMD can avoid loving it all up like they seem to do every generation with the rare exception. I'm really hoping Zen can pull a shiny turd out of the dumpster fire the construction core nonsense was, I wanna upgrade my virtualization stuff to a modern chipset and new octacore processor without spending 4k on it all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A-loving-men.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

eames posted:

Is Skylake-EP the processor that would go into a theoretical trashcan Mac Pro refresh?
If so then surely Apple has no other choice than to go with AMD (or kill of the product line, heh).

EP is for multi-processor use, and Skylake-W is for the single score stuff that would end up in a Mac Pro. Haven't heard a peep about SKL-W though, but if Apple are determined to release something early 2017 there's still Broadwell. Skylake-W will apparently still be 2011-3, too. Main issue has to do with the GPUs more os than the CPUs though, it's all about what happens with Vega.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Didn't AMD just secure wins with Google to use their older 28nm Fiji's for cloud server use? This seems to indicate that Google likes what it sees with any samples of Vega 10, probably will get a cheap replacement as well (turn in old S9300 X2s, get shiny new Vega 10s and 20s for half price). Why take the plunge to use AMD while using Nvidia GPU's unless the code is readily transferable or AMD is offering a better deal?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You're correct that yes, AMD did sign a deal with Google to sell them 28nm Fiji-based FirePro SC9300 x2s. That said, AMD *has* been working on making CUDA applications to run on FirePro hardware, that's the entire gist of ROCm 1.3.

AMD touts that when they took the CAFFE deep learning framework and ported it from CUDA to HIP, they were able to port 99.6% of it automatically, and complete the port entirely in 4 days. 4 days for 55K lines of code!

So yeah, AMD is well-aware that they need to be make porting incredibly easy if they're going to eat into NVidia's GPGPU business.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10831/amd-sc16-rocm-13-released-boltzmann-realized

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 24, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hope I don't have to try to convince people to buy an AMD RHYZEN THREADRIPPER FX

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FuturePastNow posted:

I hope I don't have to try to convince people to buy an AMD RHYZEN THREADRIPPER FX

you won't, because the AMD THREADRIPPER GROK GAMING 5DFX 13770-69K will be a much better value for money :colbert:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 24, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that's actually a gay space marine, and you're welcome <3

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
surely the AMD GROK will be the best card for GPU accelereated AI and deep learning

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's plenty of rumored going around that the Zen 8-core would be relatively cheap, at least compared to the 8-core HEDTs from Intel. If that's indeed the case, and the Zen is competitive with Intels line-up, I'm toying with the idea of a 2S showboat build. That'd be loving hilarious.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD touts that when they took the CAFFE deep learning framework and ported it from CUDA to HIP, they were able to port 99.6% of it automatically, and complete the port entirely in 4 days. 4 days for 55K lines of code!

AMD ported Caffe's fully open-source CUDA backend that nobody uses. Their real competition is Caffe's CUDA+cuDNN backend, which moves the heavy lifting to NVs closed-source library of hand-optimized deep learning functions.

They're just posturing until they show benchmarks on par with cuDNN :shrug:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

blowfish posted:

you won't, because the AMD THREADRIPPER GROK GAMING 5DFX 13770-69K will be a much better value for money :colbert:

for the love of god, why don't they just call it Athlon again

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean considering OpenCL is pretty much a direct CUDA clone that shouldn't be much of a surprise

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I noticed how much people in this thread discuss stock price compared to other threads. How much of this eventuality is probably priced in?

Would be interesting to get access to a Bloomberg terminal and see how much the analysts talk about this.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zen official preview announcement countdown clock:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

Two weeks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It'll be really interesting to see. Looks like it's just a heads up, probably going to preview and confirm some of the rumors floating around?

I'm personally excited because the Kaby Lake release is really meh. The most exciting thing about it is that Netflix will decode 4k streams in browser with them.

Hopefully the (IIRC) base 4C/4T configuration will be any good - with a good hunk of graphics on an APU it would be exciting to see some good off-to-college/road warrior laptops roll out that could play light games even at "cinematic" settings.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

APU isn't coming until dec 2017 at the earliest

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aww shucks. Hopefully we can have nice things soon.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Keep in mind Intels recent actions and GloFos potential inability to meet demand for Zen processors and the backlog might be so great that Raven Ridge could be ready for June 2017 but never see the light of day until 6 months later. This is especially true when Zen+ is apparently planned for early 2018 on 7nm, because I guess AMD is extremely optimistic (they're also calling for a 10% increase in IPC which would bring parity with Intel if I'm guessing right, so yeah optimistic).

I wonder, would there ever be a point at which AMD might reabsorb GloFo? They'd have to be raking in several billion dollars a year but apparently GloFo is substantially staffed by IBM? Wouldn't an AMD and IBM partnership with shared ownership of the fabs be extremely intimidating to Intel?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there any reason to believe AMD will actually price 8x Haswell cores in the ballpark of something like $350?

That would be awesome, but it's just as likely they'll put it in an awkward dead zone between high-end Intel -K desktop and the $1000 enthusiast xeon poo poo unless there's already MSRPs or other pricing guidance out. Is there?

Would you buy a $650 or $700 Zen octocore that's under Haswell performance or just say "gently caress it" and pay the rest of the way to Intel's octocore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

500-550 for 8c, 250-300 for 6c, 150-175 for 4c is more realistic, 550 is "appealing price" compared to the shrinking inventory of 1k haswells but not cheap enough to have zero margin

the key is whether they actually can make a 6 core part

• Locked thread