Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

hedgegnome posted:

Im going to be doing a turchetta for t-day next week. Im wondering how i should finish it, though. It looks like I could deep fry it, pan sear it, or use my searsall torch. Id prefer using the torch, but would deep frying provide a real benefit thats worth the effort/mess over the torch? Plus, i just got the torch and its awesome and i want to use it on everything all the time :D

So I'm guessing the torch is going to too tricky for poultry skin. I used a skillet on the one I made last weekend, but next time I think I'm going to deep fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Made the Serious Eats turchetta (x3) last week along with a bunch of other delicious food for an office Thanksgiving:

Turchetta in progress.

Had to cut them in half to fit a little easier in my dutch oven when frying.

Sliced turchetta & venison sausage.

Stuffing muffins, white chedder & gruyere mac & cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy from scratch.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Goddamn that's a good looking turchetta. Nicely done.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Got a hold of some Mangalitza pork belly from a fellow goon. Going to make Kenji's 36 hour sous vide all belly porchetta.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Cooked the turchetta tonight; ended up having too much sage, and everything wasn't spread very well, but for the most part it was pretty good! I think I'd rather find other things to fill a rolled up turkey with though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Random Hero posted:

Made the Serious Eats turchetta (x3) last week along with a bunch of other delicious food for an office Thanksgiving:

Turchetta in progress.

Had to cut them in half to fit a little easier in my dutch oven when frying.

Sliced turchetta & venison sausage.

Stuffing muffins, white chedder & gruyere mac & cheese, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy from scratch.

This is the part where you tell us how many other people in the office actually bothered bringing something homemade

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I leave mine in the water basically constantly... :confused:

Maybe yours just has mineral buildup? Dump a bunch of vinegar into your water and then run it for a while.

The newer Anovas are fine but the lack of an on/off switch on the unit is lame.

Mine stays in the water constantly also but i supply it with water from the 5 gallon jugs I take from work. Haven't noticed any mineral build up so far 6+ months in.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Choadmaster posted:

I leave mine in the water basically constantly... :confused:

Maybe yours just has mineral buildup? Dump a bunch of vinegar into your water and then run it for a while.

The newer Anovas are fine but the lack of an on/off switch on the unit is lame.

Definitely wasn't just mineral buildup - the probe corroded pretty badly and broke off when I touched it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a foolish pianist posted:

Definitely wasn't just mineral buildup - the probe corroded pretty badly and broke off when I touched it.

I wonder if the probe is ground/anode. Corrosion could be hastened by increased water conductivity due to mineral content. I think, anyway. Did you leave it plugged in all the time?

E: I wonder if the anova heater element switch is on the ground side of the element

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 23, 2016

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Random Hero posted:

Turchetta in progress.

drat, I've never made such a nice and even turchetta and I've probably done a dozen now. There's always a fat end and a skinny end and then some random bulges, no matter how evenly I try to butterfly the breast. Nice.

a foolish pianist posted:

Definitely doesn't sound normal to me. moe might have it right.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah sounds like galvanic corrosion.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sous viddled my Turchetta today and chilled in advance of tomorrow. Worth reheating in a water bath before frying? Comments on the serious eats site suggest that frying from the fridge will warm it through adequately. Anyone done either approach and have feedback on what works?

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Breaking down the turkey was both easier and harder than I expected. That keel bone is tricky.

But the legs and thighs are puddlin and I am going to throw the breasts in tomorrow morning. Had to break out the cooler as there is no way I was getting all that meat into my Cambro.

Im also making a ham, is there any reason I can't throw it into the cooler with the breasts at 130F to let it heat up an then finish it with a glaze in a very hot oven?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Breaking down the turkey was both easier and harder than I expected. That keel bone is tricky.

But the legs and thighs are puddlin and I am going to throw the breasts in tomorrow morning. Had to break out the cooler as there is no way I was getting all that meat into my Cambro.

Im also making a ham, is there any reason I can't throw it into the cooler with the breasts at 130F to let it heat up an then finish it with a glaze in a very hot oven?

130F sounds a bit low for ham & turkey, I think. Kenji has a sv ham that calls for 140F.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ultimate Mango posted:

Sous viddled my Turchetta today and chilled in advance of tomorrow. Worth reheating in a water bath before frying? Comments on the serious eats site suggest that frying from the fridge will warm it through adequately. Anyone done either approach and have feedback on what works?

I fried mine straight from the fridge and it was more than heated enough.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
The Bluetooth Anova is $99 on Amazon right now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKPBXM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Did anybody do the Chefsteps turkey? I am a little afraid of cooking a turkey breast at 131, especially if I have to serve it to people who are unfamiliar with the joys of low-temperature cooking.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I don't think I could ever eat pink poultry. Like that japanese chicken that's eaten pink...no thanks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

131 seems really low. I have a hard time with 140 if it's not done long enough, the texture is just so strange.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

lavaca posted:

Did anybody do the Chefsteps turkey? I am a little afraid of cooking a turkey breast at 131, especially if I have to serve it to people who are unfamiliar with the joys of low-temperature cooking.

I did everything they suggested minus the 55C turkey breast. I did 60C for 12 hours since my wife was concerned about serving "unusually smooth" poultry and it was a hit with my family. Not having to carve the turkey in front of everyone was worth the effort alone. I also used their oven method for making broth out of the scraps which turned out pretty great.

Word of warning - the turkey they use in the video is tiny. You'll want to make sure you have a decent sized container if you do something like a 20+lb bird.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
I'm looking for a container, and I was wondering if I should be worried about the presence of BPA in the cambro containers? I know that the dangers of BPA in water bottles is probably a bit overhyped (since leakage only occurs when it's damaged) but isn't consistently filling it with hot water going to accelerate the degradation? Or am I being paranoid?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neurostorm posted:

I'm looking for a container, and I was wondering if I should be worried about the presence of BPA in the cambro containers? I know that the dangers of BPA in water bottles is probably a bit overhyped (since leakage only occurs when it's damaged) but isn't consistently filling it with hot water going to accelerate the degradation? Or am I being paranoid?

Well it would still need to penetrate whatever you have your sealed in so I don't think I'd worry too much.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

131 seems really low. I have a hard time with 140 if it's not done long enough, the texture is just so strange.
I did the breasts at 131 for about 10 hours and texturally they seemed quite normal. The family was way more weirded out by the concept of deconstructing the turkey. It was goddamn delicious, especially finished in the grill.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Man this was so easy, I should've done it ages ago

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice! That hole dozer, where did you buy yours?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Home Depot. 2 3/8 inch hole saw bit is $15, the chuck to attach it to the drill was another $15. Go slow for a cleaner cut. Sandpaper or dremel the edges, done!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've never done this before and my annova is getting delivered today. Thinking about doing some pork chops, any recipes/guides/tips/cook times suggestions would be awesome.

Edit: from frozen

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 27, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I've never done this before and my annova is getting delivered today. Thinking about doing some pork chops, any recipes/guides/tips/cook times suggestions would be awesome.

Edit: from frozen

No specific numbers because I haven't cooked anything not already thawed. Someone with more experience will surely chime in. One thing I found is that when I first got the Anova, even having read up on sous-vide, I ended up overcooking pork chops and chicken breasts.Not to inedibility, but more time and temperature than they really needed. It's kind of an instinct to say "gosh, 140ºF for an hour sounds edgy, better set it to 150 and let it go for an hour and a half". It's not going to ruin it, but going with the scary-sounding time/temperature recipes does get better results.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My finding with frozen is that 20-40 extra minutes depending on bulk tends to do the job. No change in temperature needed.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Google Butt posted:

131° for a couple of hours for pork chops. From frozen isn't actually that big a deal so long as you have a big enough tank of water already at temp when the chops go in. Brown them after you get them out, reserving the bag liquid. As they're already cooked, you're going to want to brown in a fairly hot pan just to get some color on the outside. I like to make a pan sauce afterwards with the bag liquid, a little stock, and some other stuff that fits with both the pork and whatever else I'm serving. Soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and lime are the go-to flavors for me, given what I tend to have around.

The big thing you're fighting with pork chops is dryness, hence the relatively low temperature and need to brown them quickly afterwards. But if you do it right, sous vide can really help what's often an unimpressive piece of meat.

Ciaphas posted:

My finding with frozen is that 20-40 extra minutes depending on bulk tends to do the job. No change in temperature needed.

Yes, absolutely do not change the temperature for from frozen. You're picking your temp based on your desired internal temperature.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Sir Kodiak posted:

131° for a couple of hours for pork chops. From frozen isn't actually that big a deal so long as you have a big enough tank of water already at temp when the chops go in. Brown them after you get them out, reserving the bag liquid. As they're already cooked, you're going to want to brown in a fairly hot pan just to get some color on the outside. I like to make a pan sauce afterwards with the bag liquid, a little stock, and some other stuff that fits with both the pork and whatever else I'm serving. Soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and lime are the go-to flavors for me, given what I tend to have around.

The big thing you're fighting with pork chops is dryness, hence the relatively low temperature and need to brown them quickly afterwards. But if you do it right, sous vide can really help what's often an unimpressive piece of meat.

Yes, absolutely do not change the temperature for from frozen. You're picking your temp based on your desired internal temperature.

Ah okay, thanks! The guides I've looked at give a range from 1-4 hours, how do you decide on a cook time?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Google Butt posted:

Ah okay, thanks! The guides I've looked at give a range from 1-4 hours, how do you decide on a cook time?

It doesn't matter, that range gives you basically the same thing. If you cooked it for 12 hours it would start to break down and not really feel like a chop anymore.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

uPen posted:

It doesn't matter, that range gives you basically the same thing. If you cooked it for 12 hours it would start to break down and not really feel like a chop anymore.

So basically beyond an hour it's about your preferred tenderness?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Google Butt posted:

That particular time and temp combination was something SubG recommended a ways back that worked out well for me. I've also had success doing 136° for an hour or so if you have the time to defrost the chops first and chill them afterwards (good if you're prepping meals for the week in advance), since the inside will be cold when you go into the pan and not starting from 131°.

In terms of more broadly coming to a decision, I tend start with this chart https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-time-and-temperature-guide when putting things together, keep an eye on the chart in the OP for pasteurization times, and then experiment. In general, at least when it comes to meat, sous vide is much more forgiving of longer cooking times than it is of higher cooking temperatures. There's be an argument for going to three hours at 131° to make sure you're really pasteurizing.

Google Butt posted:

So basically beyond an hour it's about your preferred tenderness?

An hour will be too short to pasteurize from frozen at low enough temperatures. But going beyond a few hours is about breaking down tough cuts of meat.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Thanks for the help guys. One more thing, should I be concerned about ice on these frozen pork chops when sous viding?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for the help guys. One more thing, should I be concerned about ice on these frozen pork chops when sous viding?

Nah, I wouldn't be, unless they are completely covered in freezer burn. How much ice?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Did the Kenji Turchetta for Thanksgiving like a few others it seems. Went with 140F for 4 hours. Texture was fantastic. I should have seared the outside a bit longer as the skin was still a bit chewy, but not bad. I also should have listed to the people who said that Kenji is heavy handed on the salt. I should have backed it down just a touch as with even a tiny bit of gravy, it was a little bit much on the salt. Still drat good though. I think I'm planning on giving this a go with pork for Christmas.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Amazon has the Anova wifi cooker for 126. Dunno how long the sale will last.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Is it necessary to clip the bags to the side when you cook them, or is that just a convenience thing? I set up one of those stacker coolers to use and it's more than a bit awkward to set that up at times, I'm wondering if I have something that's vacuum sealed if I can just toss it in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've never clipped anything.