Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's perfectly safe actually, unless they hosed up a weld, or didn't test the program with a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

so close to a funny number

Well the toll could still grow.

He heh :awesome:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kommando posted:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/truck-peeled-after-striking-rail-bridge-barrier-20161124-gsweae.html

Annerley Rd rail bridge barricade working as intended. Protecting the bridge from belligerent trucks.

That's pretty impressive

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/skid-marks-as-truck-loses-a-load-of-waste-near-toowoomba-20161123-gsw3ef.html

Related, now that's what I call a lovely situation

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The best part is that it looks like the ball is bouncing off of the goalpost.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

New Racing sim chair looking good. Just need a way of mounting an LG B6.

CADPAT posted:

I was waiting for that thing to smash him around like that Hulk/Loki scene in Avengers

Or this:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Talk about foreign OSHA: scaffolding at a Chinese power plant construction site collapsed, killing at least 67. I wonder if we'll ever hear of the reason. Do they even have any kind of industrial accident investigations, or is life too cheap in China?
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/24/construction-site-collapse-in-china-kills-at-least-67.html
There are investigations, it's likely that some upper level supervisor is executed, and "at least" 67 is probably lowballing it by a fair amount.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

uXs posted:

This does look dangerous and not really what it was designed for. On the other hand, it's totally within weight limits and apparently fully programmed beforehand so they could test it before someone actually got on?

So on the whole looks quite a lot safer than a whole lot of jury rigged contraptions I've seen here.

(Should probably wear a helmet though.)

Someone I know who works with industrial robots - he's a goon btw but he's even worse at posting than me - said a robot like that can change direction fast enough to give the rider a concussion.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Someone I know who works with industrial robots - he's a goon btw but he's even worse at posting than me - said a robot like that can change direction fast enough to give the rider a concussion.

Sure, but they programmed it to not do that. I don't see a dude wiggling a stick somewhere, that would make it infinitely more dangerous.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

uXs posted:

Sure, but they programmed it to not do that. I don't see a dude wiggling a stick somewhere, that would make it infinitely more dangerous.
The possibility means its a lot harder to prove as fit for human use. For example if bit rot shifts an x to a y in a coordinate system and it smears the top of the chair along the ground or less dramatically accelerates enough to cause internal injury, you're going to have trouble making any civil claims and depending on your life insurance idiot clauses, ditto there because industrial robots come with very prominent warnings that humans shouldn't even be in the range of motion let alone attached to the end.

e. make the robot guy post here because chances are good he has stories of when the robots go Terminator

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Talk about foreign OSHA: scaffolding at a Chinese power plant construction site collapsed, killing at least 67. I wonder if we'll ever hear of the reason. Do they even have any kind of industrial accident investigations, or is life too cheap in China?
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/24/construction-site-collapse-in-china-kills-at-least-67.html

First thing I thought of after hearing this in the news was the Willow Island disaster, where the scaffolding collapsed due to a multitude of reasons, two of which were missing/broken bolts, and attaching the scaffolding to concrete that hadn't even dried out yet. Oh, and of course, a third reason, that was mentioned in some news articles about the Chinese accident, rushing of the construction due to dates that had to be kept despite delays making them impossible to achieve.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

zedprime posted:

For example if bit rot shifts an x to a y in a coordinate system and it smears the top of the chair along the ground or less dramatically accelerates enough to cause internal injury

i'm sure there are also physical rotation locks and motor limiters that can prevent unsafe motions

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VectorSigma posted:

i'm sure there are also physical rotation locks and motor limiters that can prevent unsafe motions
In a mass produced robot advertised for its range of motion, speed, and torque, the physical control against robot on human violence is usually putting it in a cage that cuts the power if the door is open and only letting it handle things you are ok with getting jerked around and run into the floor/other robots.

MercurialOne
Feb 28, 2016

VectorSigma posted:

There's a ton of safety mechanisms to prevent the robot from damaging itself, because it is very expensive. But these safety mechanisms only engage if the robot itself is in danger. Once I had a robot bend a metal bolt as thick as my finger before the safety system stopped it. I doubt dragging a human along the floor would even register to it. Humans aren't supposed to be in reach of it when it's running.

The real problem with that chair-riding video is that the emergency stop is not usable. An emergency stop to a robot means "ENGAGE THE MECHANICAL BRAKES NOW", not "please halt". Last time I had to use an emergency stop the robot nearly ripped itself out of the floor, caused several tons of steel to literally bounce and made a terrible noise. I don't think it would kill the chair guy if you hit the emergency stop while it was spinning in a big circle, but he'd maybe get a concussion and whiplash.

Note that when I had to use the emergency stop I was safely behind a fence. That said, there are a ton of robots that are safe for human interaction. However, they're slow and weak. The robot in that video is definitely not one of them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

Unsafe for the robot, not the human bolted to the end.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Chinese crane & scaffolding collapse season isn't March to April like in New York?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

MercurialOne posted:

There's a ton of safety mechanisms to prevent the robot from damaging itself, because it is very expensive. But these safety mechanisms only engage if the robot itself is in danger. Once I had a robot bend a metal bolt as thick as my finger before the safety system stopped it. I doubt dragging a human along the floor would even register to it. Humans aren't supposed to be in reach of it when it's running.

The real problem with that chair-riding video is that the emergency stop is not usable. An emergency stop to a robot means "ENGAGE THE MECHANICAL BRAKES NOW", not "please halt". Last time I had to use an emergency stop the robot nearly ripped itself out of the floor, caused several tons of steel to literally bounce and made a terrible noise. I don't think it would kill the chair guy if you hit the emergency stop while it was spinning in a big circle, but he'd maybe get a concussion and whiplash.

Note that when I had to use the emergency stop I was safely behind a fence. That said, there are a ton of robots that are safe for human interaction. However, they're slow and weak. The robot in that video is definitely not one of them.

You should probably speak to congress, because very shortly people are going to be having sex with robots.

Imagine a 10th scale robot, reenacting that video on some goon's erection.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

You should probably speak to congress, because very shortly people are going to be having sex with robots.

Time for this thread's favorite word degloving.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Those sexbots are just gonna be realdolls with a heating pad and a speaker

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
Re: Manhandling robot joyrides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWLlx_GzB0&t=521s

OSHA content; the hair of the woman at 9:55 is kinda long and I was worried it would get caught somewhere.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

wdarkk posted:

Time for this thread's favorite word degloving.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

evil_bunnY posted:

That's perfectly safe actually, unless they hosed up a weld, or didn't test the program with a dummy.

Quoting this, because there's nothing to be afraid of. This is a industrial machine, made to repeat motions within very small margins of error forever (until it gets replaces by a better machine). If you use the right program, it will do what it did the last time, the time before that and for the next xxxxx times.

There's a lot of safety in place if it is off the path. If nothing breaks, because it is properly cared for and the program ran fine before, everything is good. This is a machine that is aware of it's position and knows how to correct movement to get where it should. If it runs once with a load of X, it will run forever with everything <=X.

Fakeedit: Here, have some safe, human controlled rides after all these :words:

http://i.imgur.com/ykruWFK.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/5lTxe8Q.mp4

For more safe rides, there's Youtube.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

czg posted:

Re: Manhandling robot joyrides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWLlx_GzB0&t=521s

OSHA content; the hair of the woman at 9:55 is kinda long and I was worried it would get caught somewhere.

A friend of mine works for Kuka. Unfortunately he didn't let me ride any of the robots when I was in Augsburg and seems to be mostly coding boring crap himself too :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Since I'm not phoneposting I can add the picture.

Imagine suddenly braking to avoid crashing into an idiot, then realizing that your cargo of liquid feces is coming through the back of your cab.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
What a shithead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The most :psyduck: thing I got from that article is that he was apparently carting around a load of liquid human sewage in an open-bed dump truck, covered only with a tarp.

imagine the smell, even before the crash

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

The most :psyduck: thing I got from that article is that he was apparently carting around a load of liquid human sewage in an open-bed dump truck, covered only with a tarp.

quote:

Arkwood Organic Recycling co-director Elissa Clarke said "it's like carting a fish bowl" and the sudden braking had forced the waste to spill through the cover.

She also had a message for other drivers.

"Tell people not to pull out in front of trucks, because you don't know what they're carrying," she said.

Oh that's cool then. I'm just going to drive around this load of steel beams without actually restraining them in any way. Watch out, you don't want me to break suddenly or a steel beam with my decapitated head on the front of it is gonna ram into your car.

Surely you need to secure your load well enough that you can brake in an unexpected situation without the braking causing you to lose your load? What happens if a stupid school kid steps out in front of the truck?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Buttcoin purse posted:

What happens if a stupid school kid steps out in front of the truck?

Well, poo poo happens.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"We contacted Other Drivers for a response to co-director Clarke's statement, which they gladly provided, but which would be against our professional standards to repeat in print."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now he'll never be the head of a lovely corporation

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh that's cool then. I'm just going to drive around this load of steel beams without actually restraining them in any way. Watch out, you don't want me to break suddenly or a steel beam with my decapitated head on the front of it is gonna ram into your car.

Surely you need to secure your load well enough that you can brake in an unexpected situation without the braking causing you to lose your load? What happens if a stupid school kid steps out in front of the truck?

Or, you could realize that trucks hauling loads stop on a mile-long dime, AND NOT CUT THEM OFF.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Two things to take from this which should be obvious:

1) Never cut off a truck.

2) Always secure your loads.

This was a minor accident, caused by a dumb rear end certainly, which turned into a big one because the trucking company failed in their duty of care.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Or, you could realize that trucks hauling loads stop on a mile-long dime, AND NOT CUT THEM OFF.

And also secure your load.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All lorry drivers are imbeciles with severe mental disorders so don't cut them off because they will kill you one way or another.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
[Driver screeches to a halt, gets splashed by a wave]
Driver: Woo, I gotta replace that window.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sponge Baathist posted:

Driver: Woo, I gotta replace that window.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Wow.
Wonder which pipe has the driver's head in it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It looks like a right hand drive truck, so he probably got away with just making GBS threads himself.

EDIT: Yep, happened in Karratha* in Western Australia.

* It's between Cooya Pooya and West Intercourse Island.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

* It's between Cooya Pooya and West Intercourse Island.

Tell me more about this magical place