Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good chapter.

Hope it doesn't go full Naruto like it's echoing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I was getting some serious early naruto vibes off of that. if nothing else I cannot imagine it going as bad as that tho

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
After this sequence I'm either gonna hate Bakugou forever or finally start actually liking him and I don't see any middle ground

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why are people so obsessed with comparing this to naruto

edit: Also I started liking Bakugou during the tournament arc when he was the only one who gave Urakara her due.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Endorph posted:

why are people so obsessed with comparing this to naruto

edit: Also I started liking Bakugou during the tournament arc when he was the only one who gave Urakara her due.

Naruto was also a series about a superhero school full of interesting side characters with unique powers, it had a strong start and a couple incredibly good early arcs, and it mostly played shonen tropes straight but delivered on them super well. Its hard not to make comparisons. People have been worrying this series will fall into a shonen pit of bad plotlines eventually like Naruto did, like most shonen manga do, and it hasn't yet.

And yeah I think that moment in the tournament is where I also started to like this guy. It helps that he followed that up with being the sorest winner to ever win a shonen tournament. The kid loses even when he wins. Bakugou's a way better Vegeta than Vegeta ever was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this scene specifically is pretty similar to naruto. like yea, the comparison is usually not fair, I get that. but this one is

bakugou's been watching scrublord deku get better and better and even overtake him occasionally, plus the person he admires most has shown a greater interest in deku than in bakugou himself. now he wants to fight deku to prove his worth because his sense of superiority is threatened. the parallels to sasuke are pretty obvious here. I don't think we're gonna spend the next 300 chapters chasing bakugou as he goes full emo or anything, but this scene absolutely has similarities to the way sasuke was characterized in early naruto. if you're caught up on why naruto in particular, well, it was really popular and everyone knows about it? I guess you could try the dragon ball/vegeta comparison but that's way less appropriate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason sasuke was bad was that he was a character who only existed because the editors demanded he existed and then he was made the focus of the entire story because he and the characters related to him were dominating the popularity polls, neither of which is true of Bakugou. Sasuke was also bad because even though he was in a very similar situation to Naruto, everyone loved him and put up with all the terrible poo poo he said and did, which, again, isn't true of Bakugou. Bakugou has consistently faced consequences for his actions and only has two or three people in the entire class who put up with him, and he certainly doesn't have every female character arguing over who gets to date him. Even if Bakugou were to become much more of a featured character, he wouldn't be able to do it in the same way as Sasuke because there is literally nothing connecting the two characters. They don't even have the same relationship with the main character, since Sasuke and Naruto didn't know each other from a hole in the ground until the story started, while Deku and Bakugou have known each other their whole lives.

It's fine to have a fear that maybe this manga will go downhill as the years go on but worrying that suddenly literally everything about the manga and its characters will change overnight is just pointless. You might as well worry that the next chapter will show that Deku died in that first incident where All Might saved him and the entire manga has been a trial on his way to Heaven.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nobody is saying that bakugou is bad like sasuke was. obviously they have differences because they're not the same person, but that doesn't mean that similarities don't also exist. early sasuke's arc from around the exam until he fights naruto on the roof is pretty similar to the way bakugou has interacted with deku. I never said I was worried that he'd turn out like sasuke either so idk why you're directing that at me :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
bakugou is vegeta

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It's only like Sasuke if he were to lose and then run off to join the villains. What I expect is that he doesn't win (loss/double KO/draw) and actually starts to respect Deku for who he is. In his own way of course...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe in Bakugou.

Kick his rear end, put that nerd in his place

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Remember folks: NOBODY IS SASUKE

I do like how the difference in their ideals is so stark that Bakugou cannot even fathom that what All Might saw in Deku wasn't fighting prowess, but a good heart and the desire to save people. It's entirely incompatible with his world view.

I have a feeling someone is going to break the fight up before it gets big, and all might'll have a conversation with bakugou.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bakugou will probably figure out that the moment when All Might decided to give Deku his powers was when Deku "saved" him and oooh boy I look forward to that!!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Can we get a mod to change the thread title now? In all seriousness though, I'm looking forward to this, and I fully trust the author to handle it with a bit more grace than Naruto.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The reader is Sasuke

They were betrayed by the "elder brother" and now only expect pain and torment and sullenly shut out the world, and now they see the manga having success and are challenging it in combat to have it prove itself

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And yes, that is reaching, but so is every bakugou/todoroki = sasuke post

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Piriwi posted:

It's only like Sasuke if he were to lose and then run off to join the villains.

Precisely, but it's set up in a way where it's a realistic thing that could happen and the thing Horikoshi will hopefully avoid. I don't think Bakugo will defect, personally.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm cool with the development right now. Bakugou doesn't seem to be going full Sasuke because he's not losing his head over it. Seems more like he wants to get his feelings right through a bro fight. Don't think he's gonna emo out or anything.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Terper posted:

And yes, that is reaching, but so is every bakugou/todoroki = sasuke post

Todoroki isnt the main childhood rival and disdainful of the MC.

That people ate worrying that bakugou doesnt become sasuke is great. It means they care and the manga invested them enough to say that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Todoroki isnt the main childhood rival and disdainful of the MC.

That people ate worrying that bakugou doesnt become sasuke is great. It means they care and the manga invested them enough to say that.
personally when im invested in a story i talk about the story, instead of other, totally unrelated stories

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guys, look at Bakugou's face when he's speaking with Deku. He's figuring things out for himself, not about to go villain.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think he's gonna become a villain, I just think that the story beats for him have been similar to another character in a different thing I read

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
No, I'm with Monsieur chocolat and the others: this isn't bakugou breaking bad, it's him figuring out things in the best way he knows how. This is the guy who told the big bad where he could stick it when the chance of corruption came up, after all; I doubt any kind of answer one way or the other is going to change his motivations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress is a sasuke

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

here's hoping Aizawa comes and break the fight, kicking baku's dumb rear end out for using his dangerous quirk without care

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All Might didn't stop their fight last time because he wanted to give Deku the chance to duke it out. I wonder how his attitude has changed since then since he's been reading Teaching For Dummies

bondster
May 6, 2007

I think that this probably the best point for Bakugou to bring this up. Deku spent all this time trying to catch up to Bakugou, and after the license exam its official: Bakugou must now try to catch up to Deku. Just this fact alone probably lead to this confrontation.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

where the red fern gropes posted:

Explained on this page! :buddy:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
deku is going to accidentally kick bakugou's head off

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Thread title is a lie....
Everything is a lie...

Chaos reigns.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Jose posted:

deku is going to accidentally kick bakugou's head off

hey man, it was in self-defense

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My Hero Academia: Don't Ask About Sasuke

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

bondster posted:

I think that this probably the best point for Bakugou to bring this up. Deku spent all this time trying to catch up to Bakugou, and after the license exam its official: Bakugou must now try to catch up to Deku. Just this fact alone probably lead to this confrontation.

This is why Bakugou isn't Sasuke, but Vegeta.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

where the red fern gropes posted:

Sasuke is nobody

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugou isn't Sasuke, because in Naruto, the rivalry between Narootoo/Sasook seemed to actually build up to something after the chuunin exam, only for kidnapping to follow.

This time the kidnapping came first, and now after these two get this out of their system I assume their rivalry will finally start building to something. It's basically what I wanted from Naruto 47 years ago. I have faith Bakugou is gonna be a good tolerable dude after this whole thing blows over.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
new thread title

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Somehow I knew it was gonna turn into a slobberknocker between Deku and Kacchan but drat that chapter was intense

Also, Pokemon update: I now have an Alolan Vulpix named ShotoTodroki, a Mimikyu named ToruHagakure, and a new Crabrawler that I've bestowed the name of All Might to (Nana Shimura has been let go as of this post). I also got a Turtonator that I was gonna name after Bakugou, but it only half-fits since Turtonator has explosive attacks, but is more defensive compared to Bakugou's offensive approach

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MonsieurChoc posted:

Guys, look at Bakugou's face when he's speaking with Deku. He's figuring things out for himself, not about to go villain.

Yeah, I see this fight going a chapter or two then it ending with them both loving exhausted. Nobody goes evil, but maybe a little character develops.

One thing I see popping up in this chapter here is one of the problems about the world of MHA that we were introduced to in the first chapter (embodied in Bakuguo's view of the world and Todoroki's very existence) is the inherent inequality of the new system and how people are valued more based on random chance. A good quirk gets you praise and means you are a better person in many people's minds (including Bakuguo). So all this is the violent conclusion of Bakuguo's worldview finally shattering.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Poison Mushroom posted:

My Hero Academia: Don't Ask About Sasuke

My Hero Academia: What If A Sasuke, A Vegeta, And A Hand Grenade Had A Baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yeah, I see this fight going a chapter or two then it ending with them both loving exhausted. Nobody goes evil, but maybe a little character develops.

One thing I see popping up in this chapter here is one of the problems about the world of MHA that we were introduced to in the first chapter (embodied in Bakuguo's view of the world and Todoroki's very existence) is the inherent inequality of the new system and how people are valued more based on random chance. A good quirk gets you praise and means you are a better person in many people's minds (including Bakuguo). So all this is the violent conclusion of Bakuguo's worldview finally shattering.

And yet, he still thinks that Deku only rushed to save him after getting All Might's quirk.