Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The show's almost as old as Hartnell and Capaldi were when they became the Doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Happy 53rd Birthday, Dr Who!

Maybe I'll watch that first serial to celebrate. I've become weirdly attached to An Unearthly Child after watching all the commentary and everything. I really like the Hartnell years. :unsmith:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm interested in the Silenced and Assembled sets of UNIT so I decided to just go ahead and grab the bundle of four volumes. Big Finish keep taking my money :negative:

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Happy 53rd Birthday, Dr Who!

53 years of thinking what it's like to be wanders in the fourth dimension :3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now feel depressed that Hartnell died at 67 due to complications from a disease that is easily treatable today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh hey, UNIT: Silenced is out!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Those who haven't got your Santees yet, don't worry, I'll sort you today. Turns out I needed sleep last night.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
On BTTF, my favourite is II, then I, then III. Although I haven't seem them in ages, and could change my mind on a rewatch, which I might do now they're on Aussie Netflix.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who is still younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor.

And it's been said before, but Peter Capaldi and William Hartnell were both the same age when they first appeared as the Doctor :stare:

Paul McGann is only one year younger than Peter Capaldi despite looking about 10 years younger.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Paul McGann is only one year younger than Peter Capaldi despite looking about 10 years younger.

Yeah but McGann is a method actor so he made a point of aging extremely slowly to the point that he seems to be immortal v:shobon:v

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Watching Mawdryn Undead. This episode is cool as poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only listened to the first episode, but so far UNIT: Silenced is exactly what I was hoping for. The Silents are ideally suited to the audio format and they're so well realized in this - it also plays around with some neat subversions of what we've seen on television as a direct result of those things we've seen on television. My favorite so far being,"Humans have hunted us for a generation... YOU are the killers."

CommonShore posted:

Watching Mawdryn Undead. This episode is cool as poo poo.

Yeah this one freaked me out as a kid (that cliffhanger of the "Doctor" with their spaghetti-forehead :gonk:) but watching it as an adult, it's got a really good story in there and it all comes to a really neat conclusion.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I've only listened to the first episode, but so far UNIT: Silenced is exactly what I was hoping for. The Silents are ideally suited to the audio format and they're so well realized in this - it also plays around with some neat subversions of what we've seen on television as a direct result of those things we've seen on television. My favorite so far being,"Humans have hunted us for a generation... YOU are the killers."

Yeah this one freaked me out as a kid (that cliffhanger of the "Doctor" with their spaghetti-forehead :gonk:) but watching it as an adult, it's got a really good story in there and it all comes to a really neat conclusion.

I'm not sure if I like the improbable timing of the climax, or if I can accept that it was an inevitability of the paradox they were playing in, but I love a good time travel cause-effect sequence story. It had me thinking of Heaven Sent in certain ways, and the major guest appearance of the story made my day.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Mawdryn also played on the concept of the companions (and viewers) being aware of the regeneration process, but not knowing how it works. Also VALENTINE DYALL.

In short: Season 20 :stwoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Mawdryn also played on the concept of the companions (and viewers) being aware of the regeneration process, but not knowing how it works.

Ha, it only just occurred to me that as far as Tegan and Nyssa knew, regeneration involved a white spectral figure showing up and climbing into the body of the dying Doctor and then the two forming a new, combined body.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Is there a spending limit on our Secret Santa gifts? I had it in my head we could only spend £5, which I think is wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vegetables posted:

Is there a spending limit on our Secret Santa gifts? I had it in my head we could only spend £5, which I think is wrong.

quote:

BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cool stuff!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've just realised how comically out of date that currency exchange is now. $25-30 = £20-24 now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I listened to The Savages today and really enjoyed it. A neat 60s scifi concept and some great feistiness from Dodo and indignant anger from Hartnell. Steven's departure is also a lot better than most other companions to this point (apart from Ian and Barbara, of course); feels much more natural than the kind of "I've fallen so in love with this person we just met this adventure that I'm going to hang around in this environment that would be entirely unsuitable" that Susan and especially Vicki got.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Big Finish is kicking off 4 consecutive 24 hour monster sales. Today is Black Dalek Friday. Highlights include discounts on all 4 series of Dalek Empire, 5 Main Range Dalek stories, the 3 Dalek stage play adaptations, and the super cheap Dalek focused Bonus release.

The next three days will be Sontarans (Small Business Sontarans?), Ice Warriors (no idea what pithy name Sunday gets), and finally Cybermen (the oh-so-obvious Cyber Monday)

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

jivjov posted:

Big Finish is kicking off 4 consecutive 24 hour monster sales. Today is Black Dalek Friday. Highlights include discounts on all 4 series of Dalek Empire, 5 Main Range Dalek stories, the 3 Dalek stage play adaptations, and the super cheap Dalek focused Bonus release.

The next three days will be Sontarans (Small Business Sontarans?), Ice Warriors (no idea what pithy name Sunday gets), and finally Cybermen (the oh-so-obvious Cyber Monday)

Sssszzzzuper Sssszzzzale Sssszzzzunday, clearly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wow, Geoffrey Bayldon is brilliant as the Doctor that never left Gallifrey in Auld Mortality . Channels Hartnell better than just about anyone else I've heard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wow, Geoffrey Bayldon is brilliant as the Doctor that never left Gallifrey in Auld Mortality . Channels Hartnell better than just about anyone else I've heard.

Oh hey, I quite literally just listened to this one too! I really enjoyed it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have my laptop hooked into my TV and am listening to Big Finish in between Sopranos episodes. I'm still 6 years behind, yikes.

Graceless is still quite terrible.

E: There was a nice reference to Evelyn at one point but the end of Season 1, Part 2 is basically it was all a dream! We were just experiencing the thoughts of those during their last moments, and in the worst possible way.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 26, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Part 2 is basically it was all a dream! We were just experiencing the thoughts of those during their last moments, and in the worst possible way.

Yes, but with David Warner!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

Yes, but with David Warner!

That just adds insult to injury! All of his other Doctor Who related roles, he's given something to work with, in this one, he's "Inspector Japp, the good-hearted inspector with no idea what's going on who is willing to listen to the protagonists but doesn't get it, but without characterization beyond that."

I may be even grumpier because my bird loves radio dramas so much that he went to go kiss the screen and managed to restart the story from the beginning, making me spend several minutes figuring out how to get back to my place, but it's maybe my least favorite Big Finish since Iris Wildthyme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Happy Sontaran Saturday everyone! This one is a bit lower key than the Dalek sale, but they've got three Main Range titles, one Lost Story (although this one was a Listener's Title a month or two ago for even cheaper), one Fourth Doctor adventure, and a plug for the already-running sale on Jago & Litefoot & Strax.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
UNIT Silenced just made me laugh out loud. Not spoilerly in terms of the story, but I'll tag it for those who don't want it spoiled. "Research can be duplicated, Osgoods can't"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: The Doctor is too clever for his own good.

Long Synopsis: The 7th Doctor awakes on a cable car traveling to a Sanatorium in 1920s Switzerland with no memory or who he is or how he got there. The other patients are similarly forgetful about certain things, and the Doctor sets about to restore all their memories and uncover the secret hidden in the attic, not realizing just how dangerous a "game" he is playing.

What's Good:
  • The Doctor outplaying himself. From the moment the Doctor awakens in the cable car he knows something is up - he doesn't remember who he is, why he is there, or that he has been there many times before.... but he knows that he's not being the person he usually is and something isn't quite right. So he rather gleefully sets about investigating, rather enjoying not being in full possession of the facts for once, finding the rather clumsy machinations of the other "players" amusing as they try to get him to play his part and he cheerfully ignores them to inject chaos and confusion. But his opponent knows him better than he thinks, and every move the Doctor makes has been anticipated and prepared for to keep him off the scent just long enough for the day to complete and things to reset. There are shades of the (later produced) excellence that was Heaven Sent but the mid-story revelation of an old villain - the Celestial Toymaker - is but another misdirection as to who is really orchestrating all events. When the Doctor, of course, manages to throw everything into disarray and destroy the plans of his opponent he discovers the opponent was himself, he set everything into motion and put himself into the middle of the game with strict instructions to everybody else to keep him from uncovering it all so they could run out the clock and do away with the already defeated Toymaker. Now his inability to just let events take their course has doomed them all and he has to scramble on the fly to come up with a solution, something he actually completely fails to do. It's really well-handled and rather refreshing to see the Machiavellian 7th Doctor screw things up so badly.

• The Celestial Toymaker. It's a returning character who has been used poorly in the past, and even at their best people have had very understandable issues with the character in concept alone. Here they are used extremely appropriately though, and writer Ken Bentley does a good job or detouring around/obfuscating the more problematic aspects and just getting to the core of the character. The background is established neatly as we realize we've come into the story at the halfway point, an entire other adventure has occurred before the story ever started and THIS story is about mopping up the damage from that. The Toymaker was defeated by the Doctor and a collection of abducted human players who are now "infected" with aspects of the defeated Toymaker's powers. Considering that includes the ability to alter reality, even the memory/perception of the Toymaker as an entity would be enough to restore it to life, so the Doctor sets up a game in which all of them keep the memory of the Toymaker buried long enough for the energy they carry to burn out of them and take the Toymaker with them, destroying him forever. When that inevitably fails, the Toymaker returns to life in the form of a ventriloquist's doll, stealing the voice of another character and cheerily torturing them all anew to regain its powers by wiping them out one by one. What could easily have been laughable or pathetic comes across as menacing and implacable, it's a very well-realized turn with the character and possibility a rehabilitation of them from their now dated origins.

• The end of the "game". With the Doctor having outplayed himself and failed to have worked out a feasible back-up plan, the villain seems to have the upper hand. The rather clever way it is defeated is extremely well handled, as two characters come to the realization that the Toymaker's games can only end with a winner and a loser, so why not end the game with neither? Playing chess on a giant board they themselves previously set up to be lethal, they use their family connection to come to an unspoken agreement, and play out a game of chess that ends with both players unable to avoid ending up in a position that will prove lethal to the human players. The Toymaker requires a surviving winner to regain his lost powers which have been jumping from winner to winner, and so finds himself locked in an eternal stalemate - should he force the game to end both players will die and his power will go nowhere and he will die, but leave the game as it is and he is trapped forever in his little wooden form unable to escape. It's an ending that feels earned in both a narrative and character sense, all the elements were put into place well ahead of time, and the relationship between the two surviving players has been established so that their ability to communicate between each other without explicitly saying what the other is thinking feels natural.

What's Not:

• Ace, Hex & Queenie. There is actually nothing wrong with the performances by any of the actors involved, and the characters themselves are well incorporated into the story. It's just that.... they shouldn't be. It's early on established that Ace and Hex (who get to put on some lovely ridiculous accents) are working under orders and doing what they can to keep the Doctor in the dark, while Queenie is a chaotic element who forces herself into the mix... but they shouldn't be. For the story to work, certain characters need to be part of the "game' being played which means they need to be at risk of death should they fail. It's established that Ace and Hex were actually not part of the unseen adventure and are thus free to work as outside elements.... except later on in the story it turns out they WERE part of the unseen adventure and ARE part of the game. Except then why do they NOT have aspects of the Toymaker inside themselves? The answer is because then by the rules of the story they would have to be viable "players" for the "game" and at least one of them would need to die, so instead they just.... aren't. It's even commented on by the Doctor who says words to the effect of,"Oh I guess you just got left out of this (nasty, lethal) part of things :shrug:" and it's not particularly satisfying. Queenie is DEFINITELY not part of the game, one of the big reveals is that she should not be there and once they figure out exactly where "there" is, she absolutely, positively could NOT be there... but she is. And as far as I can tell it's never really explained how she got there, how much she knew etc. I may have missed an explanatory line, maybe she was drawn by a subconscious pull of her father unknowingly using the Toymaker's power but at the end of the story I thought,"Hang on.... how the hell did she even get into that cable car in the first place?"

• Mrs Kerniddle. I kept waiting for this to go somewhere and it never did. She's a mute (by choice) character with some terrifying secret hanging over her past but an obvious intelligence and talent for games. Then she dies. That's it.

• The Three Companions. Again there is nothing wrong with the characters or even the story in this little short audio (part 1 apparently) that features correspondence between Polly and the Brigadier who uncomfortably attempt to bridge the gap of their shared acquaintance having literally been different men when they knew him. It's actually rather sweet, as the Brigadier fondly reminisces about the characteristics of the 3rd Doctor until Polly responds that she never knew that version and he sounds quite unlike the two she knew. The Brigadier knew the 2nd Doctor of course but far less than the 3rd (or even 4th) and even their shared memories of Jamie come from a time AFTER Polly's departure, and he has no memory of the 1st Doctor at all. But what ruins (perhaps too strong a word) this story is the capper, as the correspondence is revealed to have been intercepted and read by.... sigh.... Thomas loving Brewster. A character I never particularly liked who I thankfully thought was gone for good is apparently making a return, working for some shadowy figure who I presume has some interest in the Doctor. I can't say I'm looking forward to Brewster returning even in a limited capacity, even if it comes with the Brigadier as a package deal.

Final Thoughts:

The Magic Mousetrap is a cracker - 7th Doctor audios are sadly more often miss than hit for me but when they work they REALLY work and I think this one absolutely does. Despite the issues I had with the dangling loose ends and seeming plotholes, those are negligible issues when it comes to how much I enjoyed the story as a whole. The atmosphere is wonderful, the Doctor is at his cheerfully chaotic best, the villain is a wonderfully realized surprise and the ending feels earned. There's an interesting cast of characters, the setting is unusual, they throw in some neat twists and the Doctor is the one who screws everything up for everybody because he can't help being himself. It also (sans The Three Companions) acts as a nicely self-contained story, there is no larger overarching narrative or longer season-arc going on. It's just the story of an adventure for the Doctor and his companions that resolves neatly (if not entirely tidily) before they move on to the next. Good, solid stuff and very recommended from me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress. Missed Power of the Daleks 2 due to family obligations and wasn't even able to set the DVR. Last week they repeated the episode late night but they're not doing that now because of the Trek marathon. Next airing scheduled is for part 3.

BBC America is so bad at this.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

It also (sans The Three Companions) acts as a nicely self-contained story, there is no larger overarching narrative or longer season-arc going on.

It's definitely a part of Hex's character arc, which is the big theme for this "season" or whatever you want to call these little clumps of consecutive stories. The good news is that it's all part of one of BF's best eras (that I've encountered). Just assume that everything is connected at this point, and go into each audio with the expectation that they're going to be playing in the universe they've built over the past 120 stories. Call it "serialized" if you have to, just... have some tissues ready. You'll know when.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

It's definitely a part of Hex's character arc, which is the big theme for this "season" or whatever you want to call these little clumps of consecutive stories. The good news is that it's all part of one of BF's best eras (that I've encountered). Just assume that everything is connected at this point, and go into each audio with the expectation that they're going to be playing in the universe they've built over the past 120 stories. Call it "serialized" if you have to, just... have some tissues ready. You'll know when.

I'm down for every part of that which doesn't involve Thomas Brewster!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Six stories on sale for Ice Warrior Ssssssssssunday!

2 main range, 1 Companion Chronicle, 3 Lost Stories. $25 download bundle available.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Six stories on sale for Ice Warrior Ssssssssssunday!

2 main range, 1 Companion Chronicle, 3 Lost Stories. $25 download bundle available.

Oh thank God, today the main range titles are ones I already own - I've already picked up 5 new titles so far this weekend.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God, today the main range titles are ones I already own - I've already picked up 5 new titles so far this weekend.

I regrettably had to skip getting Dalek Empire, but other than that I've picked up everything so far. (I owned all but 2 of the Sontaran stories though).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

I'm feeling the same about the fact that I already own everything they could offer for Cyber Monday. Between the BBC Facebook Dalek offer, the DWM poll winner specials, these last few days of specials, and finally jumping onto the new UNIT series with the release of Silenced I've spent entirely too much on Big Finish this week.

(Though Jago & Litefoot & Strax made it all worthwhile)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm down for every part of that which doesn't involve Thomas Brewster!

Aw. Brewster isn't so bad. He's a Dickensian orphan with the unlikable self-preservation that we don't like to think of being included with Dickensian orphans. Without checking my reviews, I'd say a solid half of his stories that I've heard are at least okay?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Aw. Brewster isn't so bad. He's a Dickensian orphan with the unlikable self-preservation that we don't like to think of being included with Dickensian orphans. Without checking my reviews, I'd say a solid half of his stories that I've heard are at least okay?

I like the idea of him in principle, a charming character with a tragic past with his eye on taking opportunities to enrich himself because he's grown up learning that you have to look out for yourself. The trouble is that is his character's description, but he seems to be lacking the charming part that is so necessary to make a character like that work. As it is, he just kind of shows up and constantly lies to and cheats everybody for his own benefit AND puts the lives of others at risk and refuses to accept blame or admit wrongdoing when called out on it... and then everybody just kind of forgives him anyway, even going so far as to chide themselves for not being more understanding of him. He's just an aggravating character to me, I honestly don't see what he brings to the table that would cause either Nyssa or (especially) the Doctor to want anything to do with him beyond their initial meeting.

If they actually wrote him with some level of charm it might be a different story, or even childish guilde - as it is he's just a thief and a liar who not only shows no remorse for his actions but acts aggrieved to be called out on them. The backstory they gave him in his first story was an attempt to point out he's a product of his environment but even then you had characters going on about being unable to resist his natural charms when he's essentially an aggressively dim dullard. Not the character's fault based on his upbringing, sure, but the charm they insist he has never actually seems to show up in any of the actual audios beyond characters saying he has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's fair. I guess it's a fairly typical Fifth Doctor problem, really, because Adric and Turlough have some similar issues. I do admit to getting pretty drat aggravated with how often the Fifth Doctor gets (gasp) the TARDIS stolen, so that he is stranded in time!! The first time, you have to give the TV show some credit for it, and Big Finish some credit for using the same plot point as an homage to the Doctor it belongs to, but sheesh!

• Locked thread