Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Housing New Zealand is selling off state houses in Christchurch partly because it is increasingly focused on Auckland's housing shortage, Bill English says.

this makes no loving sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

we're worried about the housing shortage, so we're going to take cheap housing and sell it to other people

this will help the housing shortage

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Swan Oat posted:

how can you tell it doesnt have a finished basement from the picture

And a furnished basement, not or.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1nUVlqzdY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Jesus the comments on Twitter went on about how Jeff was distorting the article and nope lol

literal loving purple prose on how child labor helped give those kids meaning and helped "our nation", aka lovely awful capitalists, get rich

So basically Newt Gingrich's plan x 50

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

exmarx posted:

this owns:

Uber came to Parliament today hoping to win over MPs deciding what the future of the taxi industry will look like.

But the company's Australasian executives ran into some resistance from MPs who appeared to be struggling with the very concept of a disruptive ride-sharing business.

Appearing before Parliament's Transport Committee, Uber New Zealand general manager Richard Menzies tried to argue that the company should not have to adopt outdated taxi requirements like logbooks, signage and stringent driver and vehicle checks.

But first he was forced to explain to the committee, over and over again, that Uber was not a "rank and hail" taxi company.

National MP Alastair Scott was the first to bite.

"We're concerned that you could get some gypsy operators who are not licensed by anyone appearing on a taxi rank."

Labour MP Sue Moroney interjected, offering a more politically-correct term: "Cowboys".

"Cowboys, gypsies, whatever," Scott said.

Menzies politely explained that an Uber vehicle could only be ordered through its app.

"People can't simply spot at Uber and jump into random car," he said.

Labour MP Sue Moroney wasn't convinced.

"How do you know that? How do you know that people who are your drivers are not sitting at taxi stands or being hailed?"

Menzies, looking slightly bemused, said: "We don't use taxi ranks."

Green MP Jan Logie noted that the law change would allow Uber to use taxi ranks - how did Uber feel about that?

Menzies, again: "The way our system is currently set up, we don't need taxi ranks."

At that point National backbencher Paul Foster-Bell appeared to sum up the situation: "Do you think Parliament should be grasping that this is a different paradigm we are talking about?"

Menzies began spelling out the benefits of the company. By putting more people in fewer cars, he said, the company had reduced carbon emissions in New Zealand by 55 metric tonnes.

Moroney had more pressing concerns. Under the law changes, Uber cars would be able to use transit lanes on New Zealand motorways.

Wouldn't it be worth signing up as an Uber driver just to use transit lanes? she asked. And how could you tell whether it was an Uber car using a transit lane if it was unmarked?

For once, Menzies appeared to be caught off-guard. "I'm not 100 per cent familiar with all the details," he said.

As it was becoming apparent that no MP on the committee had ever used the Uber service, National MP and technophile Maurice Williamson piped up that he was a "massive fan".

But he did not favour the ordinary Uber, he said. He wanted to know when Uber New Zealand would roll out Uber Black - the company's VIP service.

By now, Uber's committee appearance had gone well overtime. But Moroney wanted one last shot, asking Uber whether it would actually follow any rules set by Parliament.

"All I want to hear is that you won't be breaking the law," she said.

Menzies raised his hands in front of his face, wordlessly, as the committee chairman brought the session to a close.

How the hell is cowboy a better word than gypsy instead of I dunno Romani

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

How the hell is cowboy a better word than gypsy instead of I dunno Romani

they weren't talking about actual gypsies

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Nzposters, is NZ like the US where most people don't know "Gypsies" are real people and not a reference to fairy tales?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
This Mfing houseguest best wake up before I go to town on these hoerdeurves myself

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

taking bets that at least one GoP congressperson or major advocacy group suddenly decides to support gun control

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Proclick for the Oprah video at the bottom god drat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/801470384562282496

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Hey, it worked on Reagan (when the Black Panthers started arming up).

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Housing New Zealand is selling off state houses in Christchurch partly because it is increasingly focused on Auckland's housing shortage, Bill English says.

this makes no loving sense

You could always use the traditional line of selling housing stock to raise money to build more state housing

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Basically taking advantage of property price increases and feeding bubbles

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe I am paranoid but there is no way Hillary Clinton didn't by proxy through Jill Stein do this whole recount thing

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Swan Oat posted:

my friend who's doing nanowrimo got mad at me when I told him John Galt's speech is longer than his book is going to be

That awful speech is longer than some Steinbeck stories

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Hollismason posted:

Maybe I am paranoid but there is no way Hillary Clinton didn't by proxy through Jill Stein do this whole recount thing

no

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Jill Stein has plenty of personal reasons to not want Trump be president

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Basically taking advantage of property price increases and feeding bubbles

House flipping as state policy

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Hollismason posted:

I have read this sentence ten times and I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I have read this sentence ten times and I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about

Hillary and Jillary are in cahoots

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jill stein is fundraising for vote recount in michigan, pennsylvania, and wisconsin. he is saying that she fulfils hillary's bidding.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

It could use a couple of commas

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I am sorry I have been cooking all night. Soon I will post picture of my HAM

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 24, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

that's the boot not the bonnet ffs

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PupsOfWar posted:

offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the paradigm shift posted:

that's the boot not the bonnet ffs

Isn't the boot in the back

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn't the boot in the back
yes it is

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Porsches are the other way around

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Porsches are the other way around
oh rip

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also both are wrong it would be a trunk anyway :911:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Hollismason posted:

I am sorry I have been cooking all night. Soon I will post picture of my HAM

That looks like a war crime

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

frunk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

thankfully im discussing porsches only after the trip to mars. cant say ive even seen a porsche in latvia, other than porsche cayenne, which are popular with rich russian kids

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That looks like a war crime
looks real good if you ask me

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gin and Juche posted:

Hillary and Jillary are in cahoots

IDK. If I were deluded enough to think that there was VOTE RIGGING going on that wasn't of the run-of-the-mill, totally legal, voter suppression I would support something like this if I thought it might keep fascists out of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's wasn't done yet . Apple Cider Vinegar , Light Brown Sugar, Mustard Glaze. Then cooked on the grill with applewood smoked chips.

This is it finished

• Locked thread