Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah I didn't like Key and Peele at first but I later changed my mind. Their best sketches are the ones that don't focus on race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

K&P made me feel a little awkward watching it. Chappel was clearly black stereotypes being done for a black audience which then white people laughed at because lol blacks, but K&P feel like two middle class suburban guys making fun of black things specifically for a white audience. I actually like a lot of their stuff that doesn't deal with race, but a lot of their race based stuff seems very much geared towards making white people laugh at the stereotype.

I remember reading some interview with them where they said they grew up in very safe white sheltered suburbia, so when they do all their "thug" characters it feels a touch exploitative.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

K&P made me feel a little awkward watching it. Chappel was clearly black stereotypes being done for a black audience which then white people laughed at because lol blacks, but K&P feel like two middle class suburban guys making fun of black things specifically for a white audience. I actually like a lot of their stuff that doesn't deal with race, but a lot of their race based stuff seems very much geared towards making white people laugh at the stereotype.

I remember reading some interview with them where they said they grew up in very safe white sheltered suburbia, so when they do all their "thug" characters it feels a touch exploitative.

Yeah, agreed with this. When it came to any obvious topics (such as the white girls talking in the bar sketch is fuckin hilarious) they can nail it, but anything requiring nuance, they get way off the mark due to zero lived experience with it. They approach those nuanced subjects no different than a white guy would.

But I have zero hope in Get Out being anything other than entertaining for white people and at best eye rolling for black people.

They just lack the depth of general black experience to pull it off.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh, Screw you and your "depth of general blackness". I grew up in white rear end white suburbia and am pretty sure I'm pretty black.

This movie isn't about a so called "thug" and seems like exactly the type of movie Peele would have personal poo poo to draw on when making.

Awkward poo poo happening when dating a white chick and meeting their family is like suburban black american 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Like a Suburban rear end black dude is probably the perfect guy to make this movie.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So is the premise psycho white couple is giving black folks the Stepford Wife type treatment?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

Eh, Screw you and your "depth of general blackness". I grew up in white rear end white suburbia and am pretty sure I'm pretty black.

This movie isn't about a so called "thug" and seems like exactly the type of movie Peele would have personal poo poo to draw on when making.

Awkward poo poo happening when dating a white chick and meeting their family is like suburban black american 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

Like a Suburban rear end black dude is probably the perfect guy to make this movie.

You right.

Can't relate to that existence on any level.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Panfilo posted:

So is the premise psycho white couple is giving black folks the Stepford Wife type treatment?

Pretty much. Instead of kidnapping and lobotomies I think it's hypnotism.

negromancer posted:

You right.

Can't relate to that existence on any level.
I mean I can. I was raised like Dexo. On the other hand, I never felt the black/white dynamic. I just felt anxious meeting their parents because I thought I would rip rear end and embarrass myself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
<------. Hahahhahahahahahah

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's been a bit since I've seen The Dark Knight, but has anyone else noticed how every person The Joker kills on screen is black?
-the "bus driver" (this guy was in a mask+gloves so I'm uncertain if he was black or not but considering all of The Joker's other victims in this movie at a statistical level, it's highly likely)
-the pencil trick guy
-Gamble (mob leader)
-the police man who stops the truck he's hiding in right before the big chase scene starts
-the policeman who goes into the hospital to find Harvey Dent
He also killed that Batman impersonator that he took the video with (caucasian) but that was all offscreen,so I don't know if it counts.

What is Christopher Nolan trying to say here: Is he implying The Joker is white supremacist? Or is he trying to point out how young black men are statistically more likely to die violently than any other ethnicity+age group in the US? Going by this line of thinking, could the contemporary origins of the "#Black Lives Matter" Movement be traced to this groundbreaking 2008 film?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dexo posted:

Of all things this year a Video game managed to capture this poo poo perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrePfqalRw&t=567s

I...actually want to play Watch Dogs 2 now. Boy fuckin' howdy is it hurtful when you get called "well-spoken" and you're expected to take it as a compliment.

I appreciate that they seemingly tried to move past the silly "angry white dad uncle out to get revenge" plot of the first game to try something new. The Bay Area must be a loving nightmare town to live in if you aren't deeply entrenched in the tech industry.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dexo posted:

Jesus loving Christ white people are real mad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's been a bit since I've seen The Dark Knight, but has anyone else noticed how every person The Joker kills on screen is black?
-the "bus driver" (this guy was in a mask+gloves so I'm uncertain if he was black or not but considering all of The Joker's other victims in this movie at a statistical level, it's highly likely)
-the pencil trick guy
-Gamble (mob leader)
-the police man who stops the truck he's hiding in right before the big chase scene starts
-the policeman who goes into the hospital to find Harvey Dent
He also killed that Batman impersonator that he took the video with (caucasian) but that was all offscreen,so I don't know if it counts.

What is Christopher Nolan trying to say here: Is he implying The Joker is white supremacist? Or is he trying to point out how young black men are statistically more likely to die violently than any other ethnicity+age group in the US? Going by this line of thinking, could the contemporary origins of the "#Black Lives Matter" Movement be traced to this groundbreaking 2008 film?

Christoper Nolan likes killing black and asian people in his movies.

Also the bus driver was a white.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Jesus loving Christ white people are real mad.

This thread is like a shrine to white fragility where the prayer candles are red titles, it's amazing.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Christoper Nolan likes killing black and asian people in his movies.

Also the bus driver was a white.

When the evil Asian dude said he was good at calculations my eyes rolled so hard that I was looking at the back in of my skull

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dexo posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I wonder what being a real black person entails.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm honestly a little jealous I didn't get one of these red texts. Guess I'm still not woke enough :(

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I wonder what being a real black person entails.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

edit: removed

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 17, 2017

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

LMFAOOOOO goddamn.

So much for the diversity of black experience.

Though you did literally try to say that the only black experiences were "thug" and "suburban black dude", so...

Protip: Not everyone who grows up in the inner city is a thug.

I don't think a white person gave you that redtext, tbh.

amethystbliss posted:

I've read most of this thread--it's awesome and eye-opening. Thank you to everyone who contributes!

Speaking of suburban black experiences, I hope it’s okay to post this here. I am a white woman raising/adopting my younger two black brothers (ages 11 and 14) in a fairly affluent suburb of the Bay Area. They’ve lived with me and my (also white) husband for 3 years now. They went from living in homeless shelters in a hellhole in Florida to now living a very upper middle class life with us. Both struggle with severe anxiety and depression related to their childhood trauma. When we try to talk to them about privilege and race and current events, they mostly just roll their eyes at us and say it’s not a big deal. I worry that we've unconsciously whitewashed them too much, or that they live in too much of a bubble. I want to protect them, but I also want to raise them to be aware of the world we live in.

They don't any family members of color in their lives other than some close friends of ours. We make conscious efforts to have them see providers and teachers of color, we’re members of the Black Parents Association (open to any parents of black kids), and we take people to task when racist issues come up. We’re trying our best, but also feel in over our heads sometimes, especially as the boys become older and struggle more with their identities.

Does anyone here have any general parenting advice they would share with people in our situation? Or would anyone be willing to share what kind of childhood experiences were most formative for their development as a woke black person? The boys are the most wonderful kids, and parenting them is such a joy even on the most challenging days. I just worry that we're not doing enough. I'm more than happy to remove this post if this isn't the best place to solicit such advice.

It's too late, you ruined them.

Kidding.

Get them involved in things specifically for black children to be in.

Though that would require you to drive to Oakland, so lock your car doors.

Kidding again, yall have gentrified the gently caress out of Oakland.

But honestly, San Fran is up there with some of the least diverse and most hostile places I've been as an adult. I literally get into a fist fight every time I'm there with some libertarian tech bro. I would never raise a black child there.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 24, 2016

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

negromancer posted:

I literally get into a fist fight every time I'm there with some libertarian tech bro.

You're doing the Lord's work.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Between a friend that lived in San Fran for years and a family friend that's originally from Daly City, I don't want to go to San Francisco because I think I'd be sharpening a guillotine the very night of my arrival. Our family friend's husband grew up in Oakland and went to Berkeley for his comp sci degree and Master's and the amount of poo poo he went through as a black programmer in the 80s trying to prove himself is enough to fill a series of novels.

I haven't spoken with him in a few years but I remember him telling us how when he was looking for other jobs in the Bay Area after being laid off from Cisco, several of his interviews immediately went south because they would see he's black and would then hyper-scrutinize his resume as if they were vetting him to protect the POTUS.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

inkblot posted:

You're doing the Lord's work.

While using the Devils hands.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

negromancer posted:

While using the Devils hands.

Look... I'm not saying I condone beating up tech bros... I'm just saying I'll lie for you under oath. Just sayin'.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
https://newrepublic.com/article/138921/bernie-sanders-meant-say-identity-politics

So apparently Bernie Sanders called out what I would call tokenism and identity politics. But I can't help but think that the man hasn't learned poo poo from the primary and just doesn't know how to speak beyond general economic issues.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

negromancer posted:

LMFAOOOOO goddamn.

So much for the diversity of black experience.

Though you did literally try to say that the only black experiences were "thug" and "suburban black dude", so...

Protip: Not everyone who grows up in the inner city is a thug.

I don't think a white person gave you that redtext, tbh.

Lol wow was my post wildly misinterpreted then. I was simply questioning why you said Peele didn't have the blackness necessary to write Get Out and have it work.

I used "Thug" because that's how a previous poster referred to the characters that Key and Peele can't portray well without it often coming off as minstrel like. And I was simply saying the character in this movie doesn't seem to be going for that stereotype.

I was talking about you saying what you said about their lack of blackness being a problem with making that movie.

I wasn't saying poo poo about you or anyone else.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 24, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

blackguy32 posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/138921/bernie-sanders-meant-say-identity-politics

So apparently Bernie Sanders called out what I would call tokenism and identity politics. But I can't help but think that the man hasn't learned poo poo from the primary and just doesn't know how to speak beyond general economic issues.

It kind of reads as a pivot to what he thinks the "real" issue is, unless I'm missing something. That kind of sent me through a rabbit hole of looking up Bernie speeches, and basically what I found was no matter the issue it always ends with "help the working class", so yeah I agree with you I don't think learned.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey egg on my face if I'm wrong but, there can be several different types of black experiences. There shouldn't be one mainstream black experience.

You know what it's like growing up in white suburbia and you're the faint brown dot? It's loving nerve wracking. You are never going to be white because lol white supremacy and you'll never be seen as "authentically black" because you don't fit in with the lovely narrative that white supremacy slaps on to black and African American people as a whole. You are in a limbo of identity.

loving catch me with that "they're from white suburbia so their poo poo is inauthentic."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Bernie needs to have several seats. I have never been able to stand him, and it's even worse now.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress Bernie Sanders. Any time a black person tries to stan for him, I show them how much worse institutional racism is in his state the time he's been a senator compared to the average across the nation.

Dexo posted:

Lol wow was my post wildly misinterpreted then. I was simply questioning why you said Peele didn't have the blackness necessary to write Get Out and have it work.

I used "Thug" because that's how a previous poster referred to the characters that Key and Peele can't portray well without it often coming off as minstrel like. And I was simply saying the character in this movie doesn't seem to be going for that stereotype.

I was talking about you saying what you said about their lack of blackness being a problem with making that movie.

I wasn't saying poo poo about you or anyone else.

I didn't say they lacked blackness. I said they lacked the depth of blackness. As in, neither of them have the the diversity of black experience to handle nuance.

Yes. Key and Peele don't have the depth of blackness. If you're a lone black dude in a white rear end area, you only get one black experience. Your own.

Meanwhile I got to see everything from thugs to grandmas to black panthers to business owners to immigrants from other African countries, and everything in between.

Depth of blackness requires density, which requires numbers.

Or, in other words, "We don't believe you, you need more people."

teen witch posted:

Hey egg on my face if I'm wrong but, there can be several different types of black experiences.

loving catch me with that "they're from white suburbia so their poo poo is inauthentic."

There are far more than several types, but suburban blacks tend to only have one and believe there's only two types of black experience.

Key and Peele come off as inauthentic in a lot of their portrayals of blackness because it is inauthentic. They have no actual experience with it.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 24, 2016

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

There are far more than several types, but suburban blacks tend to only have one and believe there's only two types of black experience.

Key and Peele come off as inauthentic in a lot of their portrayals of blackness because it is inauthentic. They have no actual experience with it.

Hi! Suburban black here! Key and Peele's experience is probably entirely different than mine for a bevy of different factors! My black experience is different than my sisters! And hosed up but true, but they're just as authentic as yours.

Being black is not a loving monolithic, one-size-fits-all experience. There can be similarities but inherently, they're all loving different and we shouldn't disengage with those that are different because hell, disregarding them is the same poo poo white society does. Be better.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nude posted:

It kind of reads as a pivot to what he thinks the "real" issue is, unless I'm missing something. That kind of sent me through a rabbit hole of looking up Bernie speeches, and basically what I found was no matter the issue it always ends with "help the working class", so yeah I agree with you I don't think learned.

I suppose it's fitting that even while demanding that other people diversify their own politics to encompass multiple causes, he can't see past his own pet issue.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Yeah, please don't start this 'I'm the real black culture' poo poo.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there a list or a blog or whatever out there that collects all the instances of racist casting decisions in Hollywood movies? From blackface / yellowface to whitewashing, i.e. let's cast Tom Cruise as the last samurai also all our Egyptians are now played by British men. I realize this isn't really a question specific to the black experience in the US but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

Hi! Suburban black here! Key and Peele's experience is probably entirely different than mine for a bevy of different factors! My black experience is different than my sisters! And hosed up but true, but they're just as authentic as yours.

Being black is not a loving monolithic, one-size-fits-all experience. There can be similarities but inherently, they're all loving different and we shouldn't disengage with those that are different because hell, disregarding them is the same poo poo white society does. Be better.

You're getting awfully defensive when no one said your experience was authentic.

Let me put it clearer for you:

If the only niggas you saw on a regular basis were in your household for a majority of your life, you lack the depth of black experience to talk about nuanced black issues.

Debate your white friends.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yeah, please don't start this 'I'm the real black culture' poo poo.

No one is. I'm saying that a lot of suburban black people lack experiencing the diversity of blackness considering they were in non diverse spaces.

It logically makes sense but folks want to get in their feelings when they need to get into their white friends about seasoning food.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

teen witch posted:

drat that loving red text. Another one.

negromancer posted:

If the only niggas you saw on a regular basis were in your household for a majority of your life, you lack the depth of black experience to talk about nuanced black issues.

Except this is wrong because the black experience does not end when you turn 18 and move out the house. That was almost half of my lifetime ago and my "depth" of life experience comes from all over the place.

Besides, my black experience is from country rear end Alabama, but it is not the only part of my life that counts towards this scorecard you are trying to build.

Also, for suburban black people who didn't have a lot of black folks around them, that is also a nuanced black issue and shouldn't be discounted from the overall black experience.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 24, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

botany posted:

Is there a list or a blog or whatever out there that collects all the instances of racist casting decisions in Hollywood movies? From blackface / yellowface to whitewashing, i.e. let's cast Tom Cruise as the last samurai also all our Egyptians are now played by British men. I realize this isn't really a question specific to the black experience in the US but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

There is (or was), but I can't find it. They had a massive (justified) hatred of 21.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

drat that loving red text. Another one.

I am amazed that the racists keep buying avatars like that. It's a lot of effort.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
making GBS threads on people for the circumstances of their birth sounds awfully loving familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Flattered that someone spent money on me to prove? Something?

I'm more upset that my redtext is a weird "You're a badposter, now post in the rest of D&D!"

I've said way more redtext worthy things. This is the worst internet RaHoWa EVER.

E: also I'm technically biracial. Though one-drop and so on.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 24, 2016

• Locked thread