Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Tiggum posted:

At that point you may as well admit to yourself that what you want is a bowl of melted cheese and just eat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkdYC8L4Fn0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You sure its juice
Not drink
Or simulated fruit liquid

Cuz juice (if thee reside in america) can only be 100% fruit.
Else he may be allergic to things processed in the same place. Or one of the super juicy varietals they like to use.
actually pasteurized orange juice has no flavor of its own(thanks to the oxygen being removed from the cooking vessel and the heat, etc), so the flavor's got to be added back with natural flavoring derived from oranges, which is why you don't see anything on the label. tl,dr it's because of deceptive labeling.

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Nov 23, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
[

quote:

Even the turkey's like "I dunno man"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its not no flavor.
The various light aromatics usually kept in by the rind (and the cause of why ripping open an orange makes the smell jump everywhere: theyre quite volatile) get destroyed or lost during various processes to store/concentrate/deaerate etc.

Itll still taste like oranges, just not fully and completely like one because youre missing all the olfactory portion of the taste.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

Panfilo posted:

In addition to Orthorexia, I think these raw foods people may have some undiagnosed illness which they are convinced is cured by eating raw /gluten free/etc. I mean that's the only thing I can think of.

Its also a good example of how privilege can indulge people in weird things like this. If someone is poor they often can't afford to be picky about what they eat /how it's prepared. And given the fact that our food is so calorie dense that even the working poor are heavily affected by obesity, I seriously doubt the problem with food is that we are heating it up destructively.

All the militant vegans/raw food/paleo adherents I've ever met could indulge in their myopic diets specifically because they live in a modern industrialized nation with a food system built on the back of global trade and all of the human and environmental exploitation that comes along with it. They also live in a nation where they have access to (and can afford) quality multivitamins produced by big evil corporations to cover up the holes in their lovely diets. It has everything to do with how much better they are than the rest of us.

There's also awesome vegans like dino. who are totally not part of that assessment.

That Fit Vegan Ginger girl vanished from the internet a while ago - I hope that means she's undergoing treatment for her eating disorder. She made a 'cookbook' that is just as horrifying as you can imagine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is it always so brown?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Welp, here's some AFP I just had for dinner.

Rice noodles drenched in leftover bolognese sauce, some chicken nuggets, and of course thread-favorite loose corn.

It was delicious.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where's the bolognese sauce?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where's the bolognese sauce?

So thin it's only a red tint :v:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its not no flavor.
The various light aromatics usually kept in by the rind (and the cause of why ripping open an orange makes the smell jump everywhere: theyre quite volatile) get destroyed or lost during various processes to store/concentrate/deaerate etc.

Itll still taste like oranges, just not fully and completely like one because youre missing all the olfactory portion of the taste.
there's no flavor left post pasteurisation, it has to be added back with flavorpaks. (done with this derail also)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

slinkimalinki posted:

People say this, but in seven years in Japan, I never saw anyone not use chopsticks. Maybe I didn't go to fancy enough places.
I've seen people very occasionally pick up nigiri with their thumb and first two fingers, but never maki. Whoever says NO CHOPSTICKS WITH SUSHI EVER is full of poo poo.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I really hate people who go to a Cambodian or Vietnamese place and are all "CHOPSTICKS PLEASE I AM SO GOOD WITH THEM" when I'm pretty sure the answer in Cambodia and Vietnam is basically "shove it in your foodhole and get out"

Like there's chopsticks or there ain't, yes they keep some for people like you, you are trying to eat non-sticky rice with chopsticks, you are going to ruin your shirt, I hope you do.

Not all Asian countries use chopsticks! If they give you a spoon, use the spoon. You're like 30, you know how to do things.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The accepted method of eating non sticky rice with chopsticks is to hold the bowl to your mouth and use the chopsticks as a shovel, it's totally a thing and I don't get why this is suddenly something to ridicule

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How are you supposed to eat Pho if not by using chopsticks to lift huge tangles of noodles into the air at full arm extension and drop them sloppily into your spoon

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Stink Terios posted:

Welp, here's some AFP I just had for dinner.

Rice noodles drenched in leftover bolognese sauce, some chicken nuggets, and of course thread-favorite loose corn.

It was delicious.

Hey, maybe don't feel like this is a thing you should have done. Do you need to include chopsticks if you're presenting a plate of sushi? American food can stand for itself without adding exoticizing props.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Data Graham posted:

How are you supposed to eat Pho if not by using chopsticks to lift huge tangles of noodles into the air at full arm extension and drop them sloppily into your spoon

Lift the tangle of noodles up just enough to bite off the top and let the rest fall back into the bowl like a animal

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Depending on the country, you eat some things with chopsticks and some things with spoons and even forks. One of the only things I preferred about living in Korea over living in Japan was getting to eat my rice with a spoon.

Also, in Thailand, you're supposed to use your spoon to cut things and your fork doesn't go in your mouth. You use the fork to put food on your spoon.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I had a friend who could eat cooked apples but not raw ones. Or maybe the other way around, I don't remember. Anyway that's my story

I'm this person, though not literally. I'm not your IRL friend. A lot of raw fruit gives me digestive murder in the same way as lactose intolerance. Allegedly it has to do with the fructose concentration which is harder to digest than glucose and if you don't have the proper enzyme you don't digest it, but your gut bacteria does just as it does with lactose. Both are sugars that are a step above the absolute simplest which is glucose. So you get the same discomfort as lactose intolerance because it's essentially the same thing. Cooking fruit breaks down the fructose into glucose for you. Apples have incredibly high fructose concentration so they're often the worst fruit for a person whose liver doesn't produce the proper enzyme. Or at least that's what I'm told.

And yes, I am both lactose and fructose intolerant. My liver is garbage.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm this person, though not literally. I'm not your IRL friend. A lot of raw fruit gives me digestive murder in the same way as lactose intolerance. Allegedly it has to do with the fructose concentration which is harder to digest than glucose and if you don't have the proper enzyme you don't digest it, but your gut bacteria does just as it does with lactose. Both are sugars that are a step above the absolute simplest which is glucose. So you get the same discomfort as lactose intolerance because it's essentially the same thing. Cooking fruit breaks down the fructose into glucose for you. Apples have incredibly high fructose concentration so they're often the worst fruit for a person whose liver doesn't produce the proper enzyme. Or at least that's what I'm told.

I'm sucrose intolerant, anything with sugar in it murders my guts. Same side effects as lactose intolerance. I didn't know fructose intolerance was a thing but it makes sense.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Poop Cupcake posted:

That Fit Vegan Ginger girl vanished from the internet a while ago - I hope that means she's undergoing treatment for her eating disorder. She made a 'cookbook' that is just as horrifying as you can imagine.

No, she just set all of her accounts to private. I saw a recent picture of her, she is still the same size and is apparently still obsessed with the gym. :smith: Also, not to be a bummer, but a lot of anorexics will make food deliberately unappealing because either they don't plan on eating it or they want to eat it but they don't want to feel like they could finish it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Self punishment for eating.

It's really sad.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Feel free to share weird rear end cocktail recipes y'all try when having to deal with family, everyone! :getin:

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
Any surreptitious pictures of AFP family dishes today would be much appreciated. Sadly my mom is alright at cooking so nothing there but from some of the stories I imagine there's a goon or two here looking forward to a questionably identifiable dish

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Picnic Princess posted:

Are you Kate McCartney from The Katering Show?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

left_unattended posted:

Are you Kate McCartney from The Katering Show?

Part of the reason I love that show is because I relate! :smith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

blunt for century posted:

Feel free to share weird rear end cocktail recipes y'all try when having to deal with family, everyone! :getin:

Probably not all that weird and I haven't tried it with booze yet but one I like goes like this;

One can of lemon lime soda(probably would do a little less if one were to add booze)

Orange juice(exact amount to taste)

A splash or two of grenadine(mostly for color, but it definitely tastes better than without)

Properly mixed it has the color of and tastes a lot like one of those sherbet pushup pops

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Tequila and San Pellegrino grapefruit soda is a great drink for every occasion.

I'm having Down East winter special cider, though. With pumpkin pie.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pineapple Whiskey and Blood orange Sour mix

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

thecluckmeme posted:

Pineapple Whiskey and Blood orange Sour mix

how was it? seems like it would be either pretty good, or offensively bad. i'm very skeptical of flavored whiskey

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

angerbeet posted:

I really hate people who go to a Cambodian or Vietnamese place and are all "CHOPSTICKS PLEASE I AM SO GOOD WITH THEM" when I'm pretty sure the answer in Cambodia and Vietnam is basically "shove it in your foodhole and get out"

Chopsticks in Vietnam, forks and spoons in the rest of Southeast Asia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chopsticks were normal in Malaysia except at Indian places. Cambodia I can't actually remember if they did or not.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

how was it? seems like it would be either pretty good, or offensively bad. i'm very skeptical of flavored whiskey

It's sweet, a bit sour, and delicious

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Chopsticks were normal in Malaysia except at Indian places. Cambodia I can't actually remember if they did or not.

My experience in Malaysia was chopsticks in Chinese places, hands in Indian places, forks or chopsticks almost at random in Malay places.

On the topic of cocktails, I had horchata with dark rum recently and that's a tasty drink.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My mother was recently diagnosed with gallstones. Which means eventual gall bladder removal.

Dinner at home is about to get a whole lot more boring. :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diet Cherry RC Cola + 2ish shots of Fireball. Would not recommend. It was a random idea, no family annoyances. Just a post-work drink.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

stereobreadsticks posted:

My experience in Malaysia was chopsticks in Chinese places, hands in Indian places, forks or chopsticks almost at random in Malay places.

Yeah there's pretty much all kinds of cutlery in Malaysia everywhere. Most places will have backup cutlery in case you dont know how to use what's provided.

Also in Indian places it's bread to handle food, then you wipe your hads on it and eat it. yum.

Now what's up with metal chopsticks? I've never even seen those around before I started eating Korean.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Mom's a teetotaller so right now I'm on the half bottle of rum she didn't use on puddings + some sparkling fruit juices that got leftover.

It ain't terrible.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Korea uses stainless chopsticks

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I had a friend who could eat cooked apples but not raw ones. Or maybe the other way around, I don't remember. Anyway that's my story

Picnic Princess posted:

What else do you get it with. I've got the same issue with apples unless cooked thoroughly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Last Christmas we drank a ton of Snowballs (advocaat + Sprite), which were awesome.

Drinks that were okay, but possibly only because I was already tipsy: peppermint schnapps + milk; straight creme de banane; akvavit + Coke

Bad ideas: that time my roommate used leftover eggnog (with lots of rum already mixed in) to make mashed potatoes; a Christmas house party where we ended up mixing "cocktails" in my buddy's beer bong that consisted of whatever was left of the other drinks (peach schnapps, the aforementioned eggnog, Bud Light, blue curacao, mulled apple cider, grenadine, possibly Bailey's?, probably other crap I'm forgetting)