Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

blamegame posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUr99epJh8
all this stuff about radio and mtv is like... wow

also he's right about obama?? also i guess he really wanted to talk about feelings, so thats cool.

He's really doubling down huh?

Vox Nihili posted:

Trump received more votes than Romney. There were a wave of lovely articles making wild claims about votes and turnout. Most of the authors forgot that absentee ballots are still being counted because they are incompetent hacks.

There are ten million more eligible voters this year than in 2012. Trump had lower turnout than Romney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

npr is dumb

neoliberal public radio

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In Kaine's defense, I was glad Hillary picked him because had Hillary got elected, it would've gave progressives a chance to deny the VP a nomination coronation in 2024. I couldn't imagine the same thing happening with Booker or Castro. And Kaine, as an older face of the party's old guard, offends me way less than the fresh faces of the old guard.

Of course, that all doesn't matter anymore. I doubt Kaine's still next in line now that Hillary blew it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

devtesla posted:

I'm all in for Keith Ellison and what convinced me was this perfect tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

Going way back to quote this but has anyone else noticed the surge in editorials blaming identity politics and political correctness for Clinton's loss? All these pundits think you can't have social liberalism and economic populism at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?_r=0

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Going way back to quote this but has anyone else noticed the surge in editorials blaming identity politics and political correctness for Clinton's loss? All these pundits think you can't have social liberalism and economic populism at the same time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?_r=0

it sucks. i dont know what to do about it. it's like we don't have the language that can connect w/people about how this stuff is interrelated and complementary. for all the 'lol intersectionality' it was at least a way of starting to talk about it, even if it was in a kind of alienating, academic elitist way.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

devtesla posted:

I'm all in for Keith Ellison and what convinced me was this perfect tweet.

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

this tweet is beautiful in its simple, zen-like stupidity

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I didn't know Keith was part of the Obama coalition

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I also think there's a lot of different stuff people mean when they talk about identity in politics and identity politics.

I think the more real problem is identity politics as practiced by establishment dems which seems to be more about "representation" that only benefits the already priveleged, and making those who identify a certain way feel obligated to support politicians because of it even though those politicians promise nothing in return but get pissed if you "betray them", and justifying ignoring the diversity within identity groups and treating them as a monolith which is pretty lovely.

I dont think the way it is practiced right now by the dems in general is very good for actual social justice, and hopefully whoever is up next adopts a better way to do it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I also think there's a lot of different stuff people mean when they talk about identity in politics and identity politics.

I think the more real problem is identity politics as practiced by establishment dems which seems to be more about "representation" that only benefits the already priveleged, and making those who identify a certain way feel obligated to support politicians because of it even though those politicians promise nothing in return but get pissed if you "betray them", and justifying ignoring the diversity within identity groups and treating them as a monolith which is pretty lovely.

I dont think the way it is practiced right now by the dems in general is very good for actual social justice, and hopefully whoever is up next adopts a better way to do it.

I agree. Too many neo-liberals have no interest in actual social justice, they just want a more diverse oligarchy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's incredibly stupid and completely terrifying. Obama won on both, why the gently caress would we not try this again?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

devtesla posted:

It's incredibly stupid and completely terrifying. Obama won on both, why the gently caress would we not try this again?

because whitelash isn't limited to the republicans

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

blaming political correctness or identity politics is wrong. the issue is not that the democrats focused on them, its that they didnt focus on economics at all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

blaming political correctness or identity politics is wrong. the issue is not that the democrats focused on them, its that they didnt focus on economics at all.

and the reason they are pretending that social justice and economic justice are incompatible is because it gives them a convenient excuse for not being economically left at all

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

social justice (the basics like "maybe black people can be programmers too", not stuff like "maybe we should not let police murder black people at will") is in with corporate america, but economic justice isn't, which is why hillary's campaign which catered to corporate america ignored economic justice like the plague

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://youtu.be/u52Oz-54VYw

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

They also didnt use them well.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jon Stewart 2020? :q:

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Cory Booker is pretty good IMO.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Though he spits a lot when he speaks, at least when I saw him in '08.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

kenner116 posted:

[in Borat voice] NOT!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

kenner116 posted:

he needs to stay in the senate op

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Cory Booker can give a good speech and is very personable. That's literally all you need to win elections today.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

it's not so much that they didn't focus on economics - they did. it's that they didn't focus on economics framed toward specific segments of the population that tilted the electoral college.

i think there's also some sort of myth here that democrats never focus on economics arguments and that's why they lose. in 2014, the entire dem message was economics! they basically ran on raising the minimum wage and college affordability but no one gave a poo poo.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

it's not so much that they didn't focus on economics - they did. it's that they didn't focus on economics framed toward specific segments of the population that tilted the electoral college.

i think there's also some sort of myth here that democrats never focus on economics arguments and that's why they lose. in 2014, the entire dem message was economics! they basically ran on raising the minimum wage and college affordability but no one gave a poo poo.

At least n the current cycle, they had a plan - a very good, progressive plan - but refused to even try to advertise it. All of Clinton's ads were pointing out how lovely Trump is. Everyone knows Trump is a lovely person. Few people knew how that would negatively affect them personally, and they didn't even try to explain that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

At least n the current cycle, they had a plan - a very good, progressive plan - but refused to even try to advertise it. All of Clinton's ads were pointing out how lovely Trump is. Everyone knows Trump is a lovely person. Few people knew how that would negatively affect them personally, and they didn't even try to explain that.

they went back and forth on this, but yes i think that's true. their testing basically said "telling voters trump would make a terrible president works better than talking about policy," but oftentimes items that test well in focus groups and message tests don't actually motivate voters to the polls. it's a really big issue overall with the democratic messaging machine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

And meanwhile we finally have a nationally known senator asking why we aren't doing more and the Democratic Party finds that an uncomfortable question.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

zegermans posted:

Cory Booker can give a good speech and is very personable. That's literally all you need to win elections today.

You can have any number of wives and ex-wives, but you need at least one

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zeris posted:

You can have any number of wives and ex-wives, but you need at least one

Oh, he's single?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

I have nothing but scorn for him and all third way Dems, but any port in a storm, said the guy who suggested Bill Maher for president ITT and was only mostly joking

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

It's about perception. Hillary talked a bit about economics (and certainly had plenty on her website about it), but if people wanted to distill a singular message from her campaign, it wouldn't be that -- it'd probably be something along the lines of 'Donald Trump hates women.' Hillary's economics plans weren't bad -- they're at least as good as Obama's, for what it's worth -- but despite her proposals for job expansion, minimum wage, etc, the underlying message toward it always seemed to come across (to me at least) as 'things are pretty good now, so let's keep doing that.' The thing is, despite what U3 unemployment numbers may suggest, the economy still sucks hard for a lot of people, and she did not acknowledge or tap into that.

I disagree with the notion that the 2014 focus from the Democrats was all economics. I don't know if they really had much of a singular focus, but from what I recall, one of the recurring themes seemed to be trying to tie the Republicans to extreme misogyny for a repeat of 2012. It didn't work. I specifically remember it in the context of the Colorado election: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/10/13/mark-udall-has-been-dubbed-mark-uterus-on-the-campaign-trail-thats-a-problem/

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

eh, i don't think hillary's economic plan was that good, but if she had actually advertised it she almost definitely would've won. her campaign was a comedy of errors that managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh yeah, fighting against torture of gay people and the forced public humiliation of trans individuals is just for "representation". Totally nothing important or meaningful being done there.

This is entirely why people see a tradeoff - because you are so loving eager to poo poo on all the progress on social issues that we have made it makes it clear you don't consider those victories important in any way, and thus, they will be ignored or regress if we listen to you.

Suckthemonkey posted:

It's about perception. Hillary talked a bit about economics (and certainly had plenty on her website about it), but if people wanted to distill a singular message from her campaign, it wouldn't be that -- it'd probably be something along the lines of 'Donald Trump hates women.' Hillary's economics plans weren't bad -- they're at least as good as Obama's, for what it's worth -- but despite her proposals for job expansion, minimum wage, etc, the underlying message toward it always seemed to come across (to me at least) as 'things are pretty good now, so let's keep doing that.' The thing is, despite what U3 unemployment numbers may suggest, the economy still sucks hard for a lot of people, and she did not acknowledge or tap into that.

She did acknowledge it - it was the second half of the deplorables talk. She had a plan involving incentivizing green energy plants opening in cities affected by 20th century plant closures.

But that message never got out. Most of that is on the Clinton Campaign not putting the proper focus on that, but you must admit, a large bit is on the news channels, where discussion of policy loving nosedived this year.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

People say that Democrats focused on economics in 2014? The "I'm not Barrack Obama " year? They're just making poo poo up now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Oh yeah, fighting against torture of gay people and the forced public humiliation of trans individuals is just for "representation". Totally nothing important or meaningful being done there.

This is entirely why people see a tradeoff - because you are so loving eager to poo poo on all the progress on social issues that we have made it makes it clear you don't consider those victories important in any way, and thus, they will be ignored or regress if we listen to you.

She did acknowledge it - it was the second half of the deplorables talk. She had a plan involving incentivizing green energy plants opening in cities affected by 20th century plant closures.

But that message never got out. Most of that is on the Clinton Campaign not putting the proper focus on that, but you must admit, a large bit is on the news channels, where discussion of policy loving nosedived this year.

One of her first general ads was economic policy, but then she just ran "trump bad" ones for the rest of the cycle until the Katy perry one after Halloween lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Lol if you think social progress has been on the back of efforts made by the establishment Democrats that passed DOMA and only "evolved" on the issue so they could claim part of the credit instead of the incredible LGBT groups that had already done all the hard work of pushing a platorm of public acceptance while the Democrats were busy triangulating away from them.

Unless there was some particular Democratic core plank of destroying the horror of conversion camps once and for all and prosecuting anyone ever involved in running them, I dont know what the gently caress you are actually talking about anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lol at people who actually believe the Democrats gave a poo poo about LBGT rights. They only switched the second it was inconvenient to them to not to hold that stance. Once national polls hit 51% for gay marriage, every Democrat just happened to become "enlightened" or at best "evolved".

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
And now we see you going beyond that to pretending that Dems didn't do anything to advance these causes and that they just naturally happened regardless of politics, so of course we can ignore them completely and things will go great.

You're about 5 posts away from going full Ted Rall "maybe a few neo-nazi beatings and round of national humiliation will make gay people ready to support the revolution".

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
They did little to nothing to advance those causes. I'm not sure why correctly pointing out that advocacy groups have done and do do all the work is consigning people to die in the streets.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There was nothing natural about it happening, and the politics involved were vicious, and the fact that you would take what is honestly a stunning achievement away from the peole who actually accomplished it, to defend those who did nothing at best and often actively opposed it, it is disgusting.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I look forward to Fulchrum defending the third way Establishment Democrats on all the incredible progress they made ending the drug war a decade from now, lol.

• Locked thread