Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Faux Mulder posted:

Yeah, I mean that would make sense. Putting the affected body part into an open flame is a very effective cure for real-life frostbite.

No it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

AlternateNu posted:

I'm still on my first playthrough, and I'm looking at building a PvE focused pyro, which is odd in this game since they dual scale with INT/FTH.
Chaos Uchigatana/Chaos Astora Greatsword + Pyroflame + Spirit Tree Crest Shield/Dragon Crest Shield
Ring of Favor/Witch's Ring/Carthus Milkring/"Flex Spot"

It's unoptimized to hell, and I have no idea in what order I need to be maxing my stats to be useful at each SL for SunBroing.

It isn't weird at all, pyro is a fantastic build for both PvE and PVP. A few tips. If you really are going pyro, I would try to get 30/30 in FTH and INT as soon as you can. Your Vig should also be bumped up to at least 20 now, and definitely go higher than that when you have the souls to do so. As for STR and DEX, keep them at the minimum levels to one hand your weapons, because Chaos scaling will make them scale better with FTH/INT, meaning you shouldn't need extra levels in str or dex unless you really want to. I currently have my ATT at 24, which is enough for 4 spell slots, and it works absolutely fine for me. Your END and Vit look good to me.

Right now, prioritize either VIG or FTH/INT. Your weapons and general loadout to me look fine, but remember this is a video game and you should play what you enjoy, not what is the "meta" or whatever, so even if I said your weapons are bad if you like it then run it regardless. That said, if you do plan to run a pyro, then it is highly recommended you get the two rings that boost pyromancy, both can be found in the Catacombs/Smouldering Lake. I don't remember where to get to pyro clutch ring, but that one I consider optional because the clutch rings lower your defense.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I'm still on my first playthrough, and I'm looking at building a PvE focused pyro, which is odd in this game since they dual scale with INT/FTH.

Here's my current stat spread and load out. Help me:

SL 61
VIG: 12
ATT: 11
END: 20
VIT: 21
STR: 16
DEX: 21
INT: 19
FTH: 19
LUK: 14

Chaos Uchigatana/Chaos Astora Greatsword + Pyroflame + Spirit Tree Crest Shield/Dragon Crest Shield
Ring of Favor/Witch's Ring/Carthus Milkring/"Flex Spot"

It's unoptimized to hell, and I have no idea in what order I need to be maxing my stats to be useful at each SL for SunBroing.

heres how id do my pyro:
VIG: 40
ATT: 30 (this can go lower too depending on how many slots you need, id only go higher on extreme cases)
END: 30-40
VIT: 8-fashion tax
STR: depends on weapon you want to use, as low as possible, Onyx Blade is the new hot poo poo so 14 i guess. for a pvp build this might go even higher since pyros tend to want to use dark infused carthus curved sword or some other meta weapon.
DEX: depends on weapon you want to use, as low as possible, Onyx Blade is the new hot poo poo so 12 i guess. for a pvp build this might go even higher since pyros tend to want to use dark infused carthus curved sword or some other meta weapon.
INT: 40
FTH: 40
LUK: 7 useless stat
rings: RoF/witch/great swamp ring/sage ring +2. On a pyro RoF isnt that important so it can be switched to whatever else you might need. If you really want the health and endurance boost then great swamp ring can also be switched out since its only a 10% damage boost.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 23, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My favorite DS2 build was the Manscorpion stinger or whatever it was called in my main hand, and a Murakumo in my off hand. It was a surprisingly versatile combination and it killed in PVP. Ah. Back when Poison meant something.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm going to use dancer swords with my pyro because I am a dunce

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dancer swords are a lot of fun/use when it comes to dealing with enemies that are weak to fire. Also the warden twinblades are insane due to both having high damage and solid bleed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

AlternateNu posted:

So the main thing is your Vit is fuckin bonkers for a Pyro and your Attunement is non-existent. If you want to fix that your best bet is rerolling with Rosaria (what's your starting class, Pyro I'm assuming?). Your Vig is also really low and you've got a lot of extra Str/Dex and low Int/Fth. Definitely would think about rerolling, here's what an optimized spread at your SL would be assuming Pyro as your starting class:

Vig: 20-25
Att: 24
End: 15-20
Vit: 8
Str: 12
Dex: 9
Int: 25
Fth: 25
Lck: 7

You can move points out of Int/Fth (keep them both above 20 there's weird scaling breakpoints with Fire Orb and some other poo poo) into Str/Dex or Vig/End depending on your weapon choice. I like Astora's Greatsword on my Pyro because the scaling as Chaos or Dark (Dark is a great enchant for a Pyro, relies on the same stats) is really good. However, it's a higher SL weapon in my opinion because the stamina cost per swing is high. The Chaos Uchi is a good standby as is a Chaos Lothric Knight Sword or Dark Sword.

As you level you want to aim for a lot more Vig and End (they should both end up in the 30s at minimum, more Vig than End), hit your weapon stat-reqs, and get Int/Fth to 40/40 by SL 120. You can take Att as high as 30 but I don't think you need more than that as a Pyro.

Pick a good low weight fashion and dump the shields, Vit is a dump stat on a pure Pyro and you can get a lot done with Ring of Favor + 8 Vit and some good looking low-weight fashion (I have three weapons, a talisman, and my two pyro flames on my Pyro).

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Servers are back up.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I think they overdid it on the mimics vs real chest rate

I don't think I've died to one yet, and yes I know about lloyds talismans on them and they're hilarious to look at and fight

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I sometimes die to the one under the dragon in high wall because I always go there ASAP on every character (it's like 1500 souls and a decent weapon) because it takes a ton of hits to kill at that level and I get complacent sometimes and if you get grabbed it's a 1shot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only time I have died to a mimic in this game was the one with the estus shard right at the start of the second part of Irithyll Dungeon. You wouldn't think so to look at it, but it can fit through the door you enter the room by, or say, do one of its gigantic spinning kicks that have a range of like thirty feet and do over 750 damage through that door.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

skasion posted:

The only time I have died to a mimic in this game was the one with the estus shard right at the start of the second part of Irithyll Dungeon. You wouldn't think so to look at it, but it can fit through the door you enter the room by, or say, do one of its gigantic spinning kicks that have a range of like thirty feet and do over 750 damage through that door.

I've died to exactly that as well. Also got kicked to death by one of the Profaned capital ones when I tried to estus from what I thought was a safe distance on my last run.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Soooo...just had an interesting encounter with Cursed Greatwood. I had summoned a helper, and went through the fog. First weird thing I noticed was that hitting Greatwood in his tree nuts wasn't making a sound at all. It was doing damage, just no sound. Then I noticed the blisters wouldn't actually break. At this point I start to wonder what my summon was doing, since I hadn't seen him since the fight started. I look around and he's nowhere to be seen. wtf, dude. I run back to the fog gate, and I can clearly see him trying to get through the fog - to apparently no avail. poo poo. I run back and start wailing on tree nuts some more. After much gnashing of teeth, I finally get his health bar to zero. Blisters never pop. He dies, floor collapses and it's over.

I remembered to save a clip of it, which I will upload later on when I get a chance to grab it off the PS4. But yeah - wtf was that poo poo?

Anyone seen this before?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
it happened a lot when the game first came out. best way to prevent ive found is to summon and wait a few seconds before entering the boss door. probably tied to poor connection?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

HaB posted:

Soooo...just had an interesting encounter with Cursed Greatwood. I had summoned a helper, and went through the fog. First weird thing I noticed was that hitting Greatwood in his tree nuts wasn't making a sound at all. It was doing damage, just no sound. Then I noticed the blisters wouldn't actually break. At this point I start to wonder what my summon was doing, since I hadn't seen him since the fight started. I look around and he's nowhere to be seen. wtf, dude. I run back to the fog gate, and I can clearly see him trying to get through the fog - to apparently no avail. poo poo. I run back and start wailing on tree nuts some more. After much gnashing of teeth, I finally get his health bar to zero. Blisters never pop. He dies, floor collapses and it's over.

I remembered to save a clip of it, which I will upload later on when I get a chance to grab it off the PS4. But yeah - wtf was that poo poo?

Anyone seen this before?

Back when the game had just launch, I'd keep getting summoned to fights where no one would have animations and I would be immune to damage from the boss. The boss would just be stuck in their idle animation sliding around the floor and still take damage, so I'd just follow it around hitting it until my stamina ran out, standing there to regen it back, then unloading again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I had the sound desync on bosses a few times but nothing that bad. Luckily the game doesn't rely on audio queues too much.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I had the sound desync on bosses a few times but nothing that bad. Luckily the game doesn't rely on audio queues too much.

The audio queues are really good though. Pretty much every boss attack has a specific audio queue, which is part of what allows people fighting some bosses with their eyes closed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQniqXbSpg
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w6z-h4hoEU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah but there's enough visual queues to make due. It's not like say Vermintide where playing while listening to music is a death sentence

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Anor londo was cool but what's the reason for it being there? I would assume it's the same but there's big parts missing and only o+s, gwynavere and gwyndolon's chambers and a couple rings that seemed to be directly theirs

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stringball posted:

Anor londo was cool but what's the reason for it being there? I would assume it's the same but there's big parts missing and only o+s, gwynavere and gwyndolon's chambers and a couple rings that seemed to be directly theirs

From what I can tell, you basically come out at the base of the Anor Londo Cathedral (which was built for regular humans and is why the passageways were normal sized) and move your way up until you get to Gwynevere's chambers whereas in DS1, you start high up and move across the rafters staying where the gods walked around.

Plus, you know...the place changes after going through two cycles of fire/dark.

I think it was a neat call back, lore-wise, without being out-of-place.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also with the pontiff's plan seeming to be upending the old order him crashing Anor Londo is pretty important.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

stringball posted:

Aldritch wanted to eat gods so he went to the place where the most powerful remaining gods would probably be.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anri also claims its his former home from what i remember.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
hey yall, remember dark souls 1?
well,

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
well what?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Iretep posted:

Anri also claims its his former home from what i remember.

Anri claims his home is Astora, but he is having a laugh because Astora got ruined ages ago. Horace and Anri escaped from Aldrich's clutches as children so presumably he was planning on eating them at some point, but I don't know if that was in Anor Londo or in the Cathedral of the Deep.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

skasion posted:

Anri claims his home is Astora, but he is having a laugh because Astora got ruined ages ago. Horace and Anri escaped from Aldrich's clutches as children so presumably he was planning on eating them at some point, but I don't know if that was in Anor Londo or in the Cathedral of the Deep.

i meant he said aldriches former home was anor londo. i think he says it after you kill the church boss.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Pretty sure he says Aldrich's original, true home was Irithyl.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
in other words, the lore is hosed and nothing more than flavor text for a fun if generic dark fantasy world, rather than an attempt at a coherent universe

yes, i'm still salty about that as i had laid all my hopes for resolution on this entry...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

in other words, the lore is hosed and nothing more than flavor text for a fun if generic dark fantasy world, rather than an attempt at a coherent universe

yes, i'm still salty about that as i had laid all my hopes for resolution on this entry...

There's plenty that's resolved if you actually care about themes rather than just connecting the dots.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

lite_sleepr posted:

Pretty sure he says Aldrich's original, true home was Irithyl.

Irithyll is Anor Londo, or at least one contains the other. From what I can tell it got expanded into a city, and Anor Londo's the main cathedral.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Irithyll is Anor Londo, or at least one contains the other. From what I can tell it got expanded into a city, and Anor Londo's the main cathedral.

Oh yea, time is convoluted :psypop:

Most likely Aldrich wanted to eat gods, so he went to the capital city which was created by gods. Seems pretty simple.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Genocyber posted:

There's plenty that's resolved if you actually care about themes rather than just connecting the dots.

But just as many things that are introduced and will likely not be resolved within the one remaining DLC , and don't get me started on the inversion of themes because inversions are just another side of the same, tired coin (at least within the execution of this game). Bloodborne was wrapped up much more neatly imo, though pre-DLC it was an unsatisfying mess.

On that note, I just realized one thing. I think dark souls is literally the only game with plot that I care about, guess i've always been a fan of greek mythology and gods with ambiguous morals (as well as Bad Dudes that Are Bigger Than You)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Are You A Bad Enough Dude To Save The Father Of The First Flame?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Does the castle in the background of Firelink shrine look like Lorthic castle? I can't really tell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Does the castle in the background of Firelink shrine look like Lorthic castle? I can't really tell.

The castle in the background of Firelink is Lothric Castle. You're seeing it from the back exit. If you stand near the first bonfire and look up, you can see past the high wall and kind of make sense of it if you've been to the later area and know what you're looking at.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

So it really is just behind the king's garden. The three shrines are weird as h*ck. And then there's the hundred dead fire keepers dumped in the tower

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Exactly....also what the gently caress is up with Ludleth and the untended graves? So many characters that are seemingly crucial to understanding everything with unresolved or incomplete backgrounds.

My pet theory is that he is going to Be The For Reals Last Boss, but really were probably gonna face off against the abyss dragon, yet another boring and tired manifestation of Manus as well as the obligatory Dragon Fight that isn't a gimmick

I'll still play the poo poo out of it but cmon, that's snoozefest right there whereas bloodborne was so fresh

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Are there four ring slots?

How have I not known this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Jeez, WTF is this thing I just found?

A really screwed up microwave potato from a friend's FB page. Happy Thanksgiving!