Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bernardo Orel posted:

Atelier Ayesha is the best game ever.

It drives me nuts that portable screens give me a headache but my PSTV is chronically broke, I wanna play Ayesha more :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Really Pants posted:

Do you ever get the ability to place blocks more quickly in Dragon Quest Builders?

If you hold down both shoulder buttons, you can lock your movement in a straight line to make rows easy. That's all I've found so far.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

strategery posted:

XCOM Vita is 5 bucks on black friday psn sale. Sweet.

Is it good?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe I'll check out the new vita one then since I won't have anything to do with mine after trails of cold steel 2. if I like it, I'll look into the others. thanks

The Plus versions of Ayesha / Logy / Shallie (when it comes out, in the latter case) are probably better than Sophie / Firis and you'll be able to pick them up cheaper. Sophie is not going to be a great intro to the series, at the very least.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe I'll check out the new vita one then since I won't have anything to do with mine after trails of cold steel 2. if I like it, I'll look into the others. thanks

I didn't like Sophie as it felt very random with no definite goal and the battle system is very meh. Finis does look more fun from the trailer though. Not sure how I feel about a PC port but more JRPGS for the PC can't be a bad thing.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I dont know much about the Hyperdimension series beyond that it's an JRPG that was originally on the PS3.
Is it worth a shot?

And I've never played a Visual Novel and I figure the best place to start would be danganronpa or stein gate. Both seem to have been really well received so I'm not sure which one to start with.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

steins;gate is way better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SylvainMustach posted:

I dont know much about the Hyperdimension series beyond that it's an JRPG that was originally on the PS3.
Is it worth a shot?

And I've never played a Visual Novel and I figure the best place to start would be danganronpa or stein gate. Both seem to have been really well received so I'm not sure which one to start with.
hyperdimension neptunia is super goofy and has a lot of jokes about random video game ephemera, and also boobs. it's worth buying if you like that kind of thing. if you're neutral on it, probably not. if you hate that kind of thing, absolutely not.

also, steins;gate

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I think I can deal with those things so long as the rpg bits are fun.

And thanks, I was leaning towards gate so I'll go with that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SylvainMustach posted:

this depends on which one you buy although you'll need to ask someone more into the series which ones are the good ones

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SylvainMustach posted:

Don't buy neptunia, it has nothing for people who want games with actual gameplay and writing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

The Plus versions of Ayesha / Logy / Shallie (when it comes out, in the latter case) are probably better than Sophie / Firis and you'll be able to pick them up cheaper. Sophie is not going to be a great intro to the series, at the very least.

Eh. Sophie I think would be a better introduction than played later. It's a chill lighthearted game that gives you some idea of the strengths of the franchise and without having played the Dusk games the parts it does worse won't stand out as much. It's not like Original Rorona where it'll make you think it completely sucks, it just isn't as good as the Dusk games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Don't buy neptunia, it has nothing for people who want games with actual gameplay and writing

the latest ps4 release is really good, and the re:birth games on vita range from decent to p. good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

Neptunia thread here it helps.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

ah neat thanks

edit: holy poo poo I didn't realize how many games there were for it.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 23, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SylvainMustach posted:

edit: holy poo poo I didn't realize how many games there were for it.

Yeah, CH/IF reaaaally pump out a lot of games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty much the only way a small Japanese company that produces low-budget niche games can survive. They must have been ecstatic when someone realised what an untapped market western Steam releases were.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They outsource a lot of their properties to other developers. Like half of the Neptunia games aren't made by them. That's part of the reason there's so many of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly there aren't that many nep games if you take into account the outsourcing and the fact that there's like 4 remakes.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SylvainMustach posted:

That can vary from "ok" to "holy loving poo poo this is tedious" depending on which game you play and what you want to accomplish

It's probably still a better bet to watch Nep cutscenes on YouTube than to Nep for yourself

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I was surprised by how much I liked Nep, right up until I met the early (possibly first) boss that absolutely demolished my party and I realized I'd have to go grind more.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Mung Dynasty posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked Nep, right up until I met the early (possibly first) boss that absolutely demolished my party and I realized I'd have to go grind more.

This. I enjoyed the gameplay way more than I thought I would. That same early boss was so difficult on my 1st try, that I was convinced it was a supposed to lose fight. but nope, the game expected you to beat that fight.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They outsource a lot of their properties to other developers. Like half of the Neptunia games aren't made by them. That's part of the reason there's so many of them.

They seem to have some sort of partnership with Tamsoft, since they made Producing Perfection, Action Unleashed, Blanc v Zombies, and the upcoming Four Goddesses Online. The only other game, Hyperdevotion Noire, was a Sting game.
Felistella did the Re;Birth games, as well as Nep v. Sega Hard Girls, but they're essentially the equivalent of a second-party dev for them, since they actually have a financial partnership.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Sophie I think would be a better introduction than played later. It's a chill lighthearted game that gives you some idea of the strengths of the franchise and without having played the Dusk games the parts it does worse won't stand out as much.

I mean I'm definitely more sour on Sophie than you are, so that's a big caveat there, but if I compare Ayesha to Sophie I just feel like the former is a much more well-rounded package and, from that, introduction. If Sophie had better character interaction then I'd agree with you, I think.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Takoluka posted:

They seem to have some sort of partnership with Tamsoft, since they made Producing Perfection, Action Unleashed, Blanc v Zombies, and the upcoming Four Goddesses Online. The only other game, Hyperdevotion Noire, was a Sting game.
Felistella did the Re;Birth games, as well as Nep v. Sega Hard Girls, but they're essentially the equivalent of a second-party dev for them, since they actually have a financial partnership.

IF actually bought Fellistella some time last year isn't it?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

IF actually bought Fellistella some time last year isn't it?

They have a capital tie-in thing going. IF owns Felistella stock.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Dragons Quest Builders is going 20 right now on Amazon through the digital code
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-Builders-Vita-Digital/dp/B01M029692/

I may get it. Should it be an issue if I haven't played a DQ game before?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Quick heads up: the Black Friday flash sale is live in North America. Discounted games include God Eater 2, DQ Builders, and Darkest Dungeon!

The regular Black Friday sale has stuff like Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, XCOM, and Zero Time Dilemma.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The nep games have charming writing and a pretty great localization and that's about most stand out things about them imo. The gameplay to me is just kinda eh form the ones I've played.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth at 15.99? That seems like a steal.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

SylvainMustach posted:

This code would work on Canadian PSN too, right? It's only the money codes that don't?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Armor-Piercing posted:

This code would work on Canadian PSN too, right? It's only the money codes that don't?

As far as I can remember, yes game codes work but money codes don't. I bought a $20 TLOU PS4 code a couple years back from California that worked on my Canadian account.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SylvainMustach posted:

Not in the slightest.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TV Zombie posted:

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth at 15.99? That seems like a steal.

It's very easily the best Digimon game in a very very long time

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hold off on Neptunia vs Sega Hard Girls. The website says 50% off, not 30 like on PSN.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I can second Cyber Sleuth being fun as hell. My better half is a big digimon fan and all I could remember of it was the theme song. I still had a lot of fun with it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cyber Sleuth is better than I would have ever expected a Digimon game to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Which game should I play to completion before I start another

Trails of Cold Steel
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Dadgum Ron Paul 2

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Trails of Cold Steel
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Dadgum Ron Paul 2

Digimon is the only one of those that I have so play that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Trails of Cold Steel

http://sonicmega.tumblr.com/post/150519010861/there-are-many-lines-of-dialogue-rean-didnt-get