Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yup. Messaging the leisure society seems like an impossible task when 80% of America has work=money=worth drilled into their heads as a core value. I have no idea how to fix it and haven't heard from anyone who does.
We have to reach a point where we can demonstrate that society will continue if people don't work, and that we can realistically provide people with a living not based on work. That means we have to automate to a point where if a large portion of the country walks off their jobs, nothing stops working. We're not there yet. We still rely on menial labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The first step is to reduce the hours anyone needs to work to live.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only way society will survive is if we rethink the work=eat equation, and I don't know how to do that.

Trade deal with China that gives us all free soylent in exchange for letting them dump as much lead in it as they want.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Good Citizen posted:

People who say accounting is going to get automated any time soon don't understand accounting in a post-SOX world. Sure AP clerks and the like are going away but there is waaaay too much judgement for computers to fully take over in the mid to upper levels in the next decade

E: I'm a big 4 auditor btw so I follow this stuff closely

I'm a new hire at a big 4 firm in assest management. Do taxes for hedge funds. Risk?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Mustached Demon posted:

It's hitting the land of chemistry, too. Inline analysis baby!

At least I'm still needed to qualify and calibrate them...

I wondered if that might happen. Glad i didnt take up that analyst apprenticeship at the pharma. testing and analysis company! Now to find a field where my uh innate skills will keep me forever ahead of the curve..

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I got $50,000 of debt total and for a geology bachelor's, mainly because I wanted to study earthquakes. I changed my mind when I realized most of that research requires a car, it's going to take a lot longer than I thought to save up for one, and I couldn't get a minimum wage job despite applying to like 50 places for a month. I keep hearing about how it will continue to take 70-80 hours or more a week with a good chance that suddenly you'll hear "funding has dried up, so your project has been cancelled." All my life I'd been wanting to get into some "help save the world" kind of job like virology.

During my last semester I got a job at Amazon with four 10-hour days, and I slept 1 or 2 hours a night between getting home from work and starting classes. To get to Amazon and back, I spent an hour's paycheck on a cab each way, and there were a few people there during the same thing. During the "all hands meeting", where all the employees for a shift meet in the lunch room where they can voice concerns to people ranking higher than manager, someone else asked about a loans program. There was a mom who was proud her daughter was driving a forklift at a Starbucks warehouse and getting free coffee for it. During the training session, they mentioned Amazon potentially paying for long-term employees to go back to school for an Associate's in a trade. It was all kind of sad.

I got by using small loans with 50% interest from Reddit, all of which I paid back. There was a $80,000/yr engineering consultant in Washington, D.C. who offered to help who came off as pretty condescending. She asked if I had a budget, and I'd always kept one, but I said not lately, because I was so on the edge I only had food left to compromise, and I never knew how much money I would have that week, so it was difficult to pace it out. She went into how it's not my fault I'm dumb with money because I probably got it from my parents who were also poor. She asked if I was sure that my professors, who had talked about some grad school courses that'd be good for studying earthquakes, weren't just out to get my money. I'll always think of it when I think about the disconnect with well-meaning people in D.C.

Even though I hear "you can make a lot of money" with an advanced geology degree, it slowly sank in that down that path probably lies a slow march downward to homelessness and starvation. I switched to web development. It's great. While the world goes to pieces from climate change, etc., at least I stand a chance of not going under, and everyone who doesn't will be able to distract themselves from it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Good Citizen posted:

People who say accounting is going to get automated any time soon don't understand accounting in a post-SOX world. Sure AP clerks and the like are going away but there is waaaay too much judgement for computers to fully take over in the mid to upper levels in the next decade

Nobody is actually worried about the high end work (in any field) being fully automated any time soon, though. All you need for a major employment crisis is to lose a few percent of all available jobs at the lower end.

It's also not too great if you're only confident about the next decade. The point where white collar automation starts having more than subtle effects is probably at least a decade out anyway.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 24, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Paradoxish posted:

Nobody is actually worried about the high end work (in any field) being fully automated any time soon, though. All you need for a major employment crisis is to lose a few percent of all available jobs at the lower end.

Lower end / entry level work yeah.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Covok posted:

I'm a new hire at a big 4 firm in assest management. Do taxes for hedge funds. Risk?

Your biggest risk is a major simplification of the tax code, not automation. Just like my biggest risk is a dismantling of the PCAOB and other accounting regulatory agencies, not automation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Joementum posted:

Trade deal with China that gives us all free soylent in exchange for letting them dump as much lead in it as they want.
Finally, I can be a literal pencil-dick.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The first step is to reduce the hours anyone needs to work to live.

This should be popular with the corporate masters as minimum wage rises, yeah?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

Lower end / entry level work yeah.

Yeah, automation discussions are always weird because people immediately think that you're talking about robots taking all the jobs. Unemployment peaked at around 10% in the US following the last recession. It peaked at 25% during the Great Depression, and our economy is drastically more consumer driven now than it was in the 1930s. 10-15% unemployment extended out over a decade with no future job prospects would be catastrophic on an unimaginable level. I'm not even sure if it's possible for that to be a stable level of unemployment given the amount of damage that would be done to the wider economy by such a drastic drop in consumer spending over such a long period of time.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The interesting thing about automation is that it needs to be worthwhile to spend on the infrastructure. The fight for $15 will inevitably lead to more automation in the service sector. Not that that's a bad thing. Four Futures is a cool book on this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This should be popular with the corporate masters as minimum wage rises, yeah?
Minimum wage isn't going to rise.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

FactsAreUseless posted:

We have to reach a point where we can demonstrate that society will continue if people don't work, and that we can realistically provide people with a living not based on work. That means we have to automate to a point where if a large portion of the country walks off their jobs, nothing stops working. We're not there yet. We still rely on menial labor.

It's probably not possible before we reach post-scarcity. We probably won't see it in our lifetimes but within the next century is possible. Cheap clean renewable energy freeing us from the scarcity of fossil fuels is the first step. We could make significant progress towards that over the next few decades.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

size1one posted:

It's probably not possible before we reach post-scarcity. We probably won't see it in our lifetimes but within the next century is possible. Cheap clean renewable energy freeing us from the scarcity of fossil fuels is the first step. We could make significant progress towards that over the next few decades.
Yes, but there's going to have to be some stopgap measures as growing population and automation make wide employment impossible.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I doubt Automation in the legal field isn't going to be that big of a concern. Most law is done at small firms and they don't usually have the capital to invest in cutting edge neural network research networks.

That and lawyers largely get to set their own rules and would just ban automation because it "poses a danger to the sanctity of the attorney-client relationship"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

The only way society will survive is if we rethink the work=eat equation, and I don't know how to do that.

There is always a Butlerian Jihad.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

size1one posted:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, automation discussions are always weird because people immediately think that you're talking about robots taking all the jobs. Unemployment peaked at around 10% in the US following the last recession. It peaked at 25% during the Great Depression, and our economy is drastically more consumer driven now than it was in the 1930s. 10-15% unemployment extended out over a decade with no future job prospects would be catastrophic on an unimaginable level.

It's the same thing mentioned before - "entry/temp position, BA and 5+ years of experience required".

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doesn't solve poo poo. Just moves some money around.
I suppose the approach to that is to just keep doing it until you're the only one left and then put your own head in the hole.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

I doubt Automation in the legal field isn't going to be that big of a concern. Most law is done at small firms and they don't usually have the capital to invest in cutting edge neural network research networks.

That and lawyers largely get to set their own rules and would just ban automation because it "poses a danger to the sanctity of the attorney-client relationship"

"Why would I hire the small firm instead of using Amazon Law? It's backed by at least one white shoe firm I can't afford!"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

EwokEntourage posted:

There's been literal outsourcing of grunt doc review work to India. That's the bread and butter work if you're not able to get your own practice going.

That's on top of the huge bubble that happened in the legal field.

Trabisnikof posted:

"Why would I hire the small firm instead of using Amazon Law? It's backed by at least one white shoe firm I can't afford!"

Don't forget LegalZoom and the like. Contract work's another field that's going away.

Of course those form-letter contracts are POS that don't really hold up well.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 24, 2016

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

This just makes me sad.

Edit: automation isn't an entire job going away. It's one piece of work going, then another, and after a while you can consolidate two jobs into one. Do that a bunch of times and you have job loss to technology.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

citybeatnik posted:

There's been literal outsourcing of grunt doc review work to India. That's the bread and butter work if you're not able to get your own practice going.

That's on top of the huge bubble that happened in the legal field.

Don't forget LegalZoom and the like. Contract work's another field that's going away.

Of course those form-letter contracts are POS that don't really hold up well.

Yea but transaction work has been copy and paste for a long time. Hiring a lawyer lets you sue that lawyer if something goes wrong. Same with diy contracts and form divorces, etc. good chance a person majorly fucks it up, especially divorces.

People always point to legalzoom or hypothetical amazon legal or whatever, but there is always the possibility the ABA nixes those, and then the states just follow along, like what happened with those non lawyer owned firms (whatever the name is) after Enron and that other big firm cratered

The really problem in law is too many law schools and too many lawyers.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

EwokEntourage posted:

The really problem in law is too many law schools and too many lawyers.

We're in agreement there at least.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ Is TNG going to come true? Will we eventually kill all the lawyers?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Finally, I can be a literal pencil-dick.

That's the answer to China's carbon sequestration problem, actually :rimshot:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rabble posted:

This just makes me sad.

The optimism or pessimism of popular culture is a pretty fascinating subject, particularly in science fiction. We've been living through a period of pessimism in genre fiction, and I'd expect that to get worse as the right wing nationalism wave of the 2010s continues. Though right wing nationalist media is likely to depict an optimistic future, I wouldn't expect it to achieve much play outside its own circles. There's been some comeback of the grungy future in recent years, depicting the "iPhone future" of the mid to late 2000s as something for a stratified upper class while the masses of humanity make do with fifth-hand holophones and not enough clean air (think Elysium and the Expanse). I'd count on this to continue, given that there's no way in hell Trump and the Republicans somehow ease concerns about income inequality.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, but there's going to have to be some stopgap measures as growing population and automation make wide employment impossible.

Agreed. I don't know what those are though. I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Right. If we weren't so afraid of fission power we would be significantly closer to that future.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, the only thing legal automation has done for our business is allow us to file more briefs with less work because of simple database programs. I actually remember like 10 to 15 years ago where you'd be luck if you had a rate of 1000 briefs per person a year.

Last year I think I did 4000.

That's not full legal circuit briefs btw.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

size1one posted:

Agreed. I don't know what those are though. I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Right. If we weren't so afraid of fission power we would be significantly closer to that future.

I'm sorry but fear isn't the reason "too cheap to meter" was a lie. There will be no post-scarcity future, our future scarcities might be just very different than we imagine.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rabble posted:

Edit: automation isn't an entire job going away. It's one piece of work going, then another, and after a while you can consolidate two jobs into one. Do that a bunch of times and you have job loss to technology.

Yeah, and it tends to happen a lot more suddenly than people expect thanks to recessions. The pattern is incredibly obvious in manufacturing, where output bounces back and improves between recessions while employment holds ground at best.

edit- automation.png

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2016

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, the only thing legal automation has done for our business is allow us to file more briefs with less work because of simple database programs. I actually remember like 10 to 15 years ago where you'd be luck if you had a rate of 1000 briefs per person a year.

Last year I think I did 4000.

That's not full legal circuit briefs btw.

That's three lost jobs to automation. If it took 4 people to do 4000 and now it only takes one. It's happening, you just don't see it because it hasn't affected you yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Good Citizen posted:

Your biggest risk is a major simplification of the tax code, not automation. Just like my biggest risk is a dismantling of the PCAOB and other accounting regulatory agencies, not automation.

That and carried interest being tasked at the ordinary rate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rabble posted:

That's three lost jobs to automation. If it took 4 people to do 4000 and now it only takes one. It's happening, you just don't see it because it hasn't affected you yet.

Not really our company has actually grown. I understand your pov though.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

itshappening.gif

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, and it tends to happen a lot more suddenly than people expect thanks to recessions. The pattern is incredibly obvious in manufacturing, where output bounces back and improves between recessions while employment holds ground at best.

edit- automation.png

Wonder when the next recession will hit and wonder what sector will cause it...

I'm putting money on dust bowl like event due to drought.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

size1one posted:

itshappening.gif

Once again proving the value of a lie you can understand even if you can't believe it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mustached Demon posted:

tech bubble 2.0 should be popping soon

thank god it will land in trump's lap. at the same time, dear god it's gonna land in trump's lap

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Gonna have to go with tariff war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

tech bubble 2.0 should be popping soon

thank god it will land in trump's lap. at the same time, dear god it's gonna land in trump's lap

Maybe I'll be able to buy a house in austin after all the Californians clear out.

• Locked thread