Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
That's mostly true, but the MCU movies do get covered a lot—I've read so many loving articles about Dr Strange, but other than the trailer reveals, practically nothing about Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not saying this means anything, but I saw Dr. Strange last night and the displays for Rogue One were bigger than anything I've seen for any Marvel movie.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The trailer for Rogue One in 3D on the big screen looked frickin' sweet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The theater in helsinki has a dark trooper statue hanging out near the kiosk. If Sweden is getting tickets tomorrow I'm hoping that's a good sign for me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm really curious about how well Rogue One is going to do. On one hand, it's a loving star wars film and so it should automatically make a trillion dollars. On the other hand I haven't heard a single person in real life talk about it—ever!—and I hang out in nerdy circles. It could be because the election has dominated all of the conversation in the past few months, but I feel like there's more to it than that.

I haven't heard many people talk about it but the hype train is rolling hard. Commercials, toys, Car sales tie-ins with pretty much every major brand, etc... You can't even open Gizmodo without there being 3 star wars related pieces being shilled.

Often, when I see a massive media blast before a movie I worry that the movie is a horrible flop because the theory goes that they are trying to cram as many people into opening weekend as possible before word gets around at how bad it is.

This is probably the opposite case though where they are just trying to boost sales from mega-billions up to super-mega-billions.

Heck, I know I'm hyped.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's weird because sometimes when I'm talking to someone about Rogue One, I say "the new Star Wars," but saying that to most people still means The Force Awakens.

You should say "the new Star Wars prequel."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

You should say "the new Star Wars prequel."

I'm gonna do that.

NotWritten
Dec 13, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying this means anything, but I saw Dr. Strange last night and the displays for Rogue One were bigger than anything I've seen for any Marvel movie.

Same, but for the Emoji movie. Still looking forward to Edwards' Rogue One but I hope that the display size discrepancy between this tentpole feature film and the upcoming Emoji Feature Film With The Voices Of TJ Miller And Others does not result in audiences forgetting that there's a special flavor of Star Wars being released!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A bunch of Rogue One photos, including several of Vader:

http://www.cbr.com/darth-vader-features-in-new-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-photos/

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

temple posted:

Endor and Ewoks are comparable to the sandcrawler scenes from ANH and batcave scenes from ESB. Star Wars was consistent with silly stuff. The part where Han became a jealous boyfriend is what made Endor so bad. He was totally out of character.

I don't see how it's out of character. He fell completely in love with Leia in TESB. Now it seems like Leia has feelings for someone else. Han is still not an emotionally mature person, so of course he's going to react that way.

Han's arc in ROTJ is about him finally reaching emotional maturity. First, he calms himself down and comforts Leia on the rope bridge instead of walking away, despite feeling extremely frustrated with her for confiding in Luke but not in him--then, at the end, he allows Leia the freedom to choose Luke instead of him, even though it would break his heart. It's not a particularly involved arc because there are more important things going on, but Han does go through some growth in the movie.

As I've pointed out before, the love triangle between Luke, Han, and Leia in ROTJ is a recapitulation of the loyalty triangle (which was originally written as a love triangle, and still functions that way sub-textually) that exists between Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme in ROTS. Like every other recapitulation of the PT that occurs in the OT, this one is resolved positively instead of negatively. Whereas Anakin selfishly deals with his feelings of romantic betrayal by gripping Padme ever tighter and literally strangling the life out of her, Han instead prioritizes Leia's happiness over his own and in the end loosens his (metaphorical) grip on her.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 22, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Swedish site Moviezine.se claims it has now been confirmed: there will be no traditional opening crawl for Rogue One.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I thought Kennedy had already established that?

I think it makes sense. The crawl sets a really specific mood, if nothing else, and they've said that side movies might hew more or less toward gritty or comedic or western or whatever. Losing the crawl frees a little mood space for movies to do their own thing.

(It's all going to be super loving safe who am I kidding)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Literally anything that happens yall will consider "safe"

Let me remind you that in Trumps America female, nonwhite characters are not "safe" choices to start with.

Madds Mikkelsen can drop trou and poo poo awfully onto the floor, on camera and yall would say "safe"

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Phi230 posted:

Let me remind you that in Trumps America female, nonwhite characters are not "safe" choices to start with.

Madds Mikkelsen can drop trou and poo poo awfully onto the floor, on camera and yall would say "safe"

Where's SMG's post about how everything in ANH is an example of metaphorical making GBS threads

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

I know that this thread has broken you Tezzor, but if Madds Mikkelson poo poo on the floor in Rogue One it would be possibly the greatest achievement in cinema history.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Zoran posted:

Where's SMG's post about how everything in ANH is an example of metaphorical making GBS threads

Is that a real thing? I would love to read that post.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Is that a real thing? I would love to read that post.

Found it!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is one of the many cases where a crucial part of the narrative is mistaken for a 'plot hole.'

Nobody in Star Wars believes droids are even capable of doing what R2 does. Droids are so subhuman that the gunners don't even consider the possibility that they would be entrusted with the plans.

Obviously, if a ship is in danger, even Alliance-types won't waste a perfectly good escape pod on saving the robots. Leia was taking advantage of that classism, because she had no other choice.

(Keep in mind that, when Luke blew up the Death Star, he killed every prisoner held there - except The Princess, of course. All those blue shirt guys from the opening scene, all the aliens (who must have existed in order for Chewbaca's disguise to work), and all the droids that were made to serve.... We don't care about those deaths because, naturally, they aren't royalty. That's ideology at work: the film itself makes Leia's superiority seem completely natural. This ties in with how Chewbaca and the droids get no medals. The narrative makes no sense unless you understand just how dehumanized the droids are.)

So we should read this scene very carefully. In Empire, we learn that every ship has its own intelligence. All vehicles, even whole cities, are sentient beings with thoughts and feelings. But here, in A New Hope, we already have this image a spaceship being consumed - and, in its death throes, making GBS threads itself in terror. The Rebel ship squeezes out a turd, and we then follow its trajectory as it plummets to the ground.

"Hold your fire. There are no life-forms. It must have short circuited." This spontaneous ship behavior is common enough, it seems, to be completely unremarkable.

Of course we know the plans are in the escape pod - but that's because this part of the story is told from C3PO's POV. For everyone else, the meaning is unambiguous: droids are poo poo. Nobody cares about them. They were made to suffer.

This grows into a whole space-poo poo theme that pervades everything. Han dumped his cargo at the first sign of an imperial cruiser. The Falcon, of course, 'plays dead' by shooting off its extra escape pods. And then, once they're in the Death Star, the cornered heroes escape a gunfight situation by jumping into a toilet.

So the real mystery isn't why those gunners hold their fire. That part is clearly explained: droids are not considered alive.

The actual mystery is this: what motivates R2 to go above and beyond his programming, risking himself to help these foolish humans who treat him like garbage?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Peak smg really. I dunno if it's ever been topped.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

ShineDog posted:

Peak smg really. I dunno if it's ever been topped.

It impossible to say whether those posts belong in the next DSM or an art gallery. I guess that's the point, though.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Turbo-nerds have not stopped complaining about the last three "unsafe" Star Wars movies for over 10 years.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

No please not again, we're not ready for that yet, just give it a little more time

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
LOL that the prequels were unsafe. The only thing unsafe about them was Lucas directing after a 20 year absence and a openly stated loathing of directing.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
A trilogy that visually shows the dark side impregnating a republic which later dies giving birth to an empire. Safe.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Podracing is manifestly unsafe.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, very safe to make a character try to kill his pregnant wife on top of weird Flash Gordon aesthetics. Seems like in 2005 every damned movie had spousal abuse in rocket age pastels.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

making GBS threads aside, I do like SMG's question at the end: why does R2D2 do what he does? I'd honestly be more interested in an origin story about him over young Han Solo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wonder what the Han Solo film's arc is going to be. Is it going to show him become an aloof scumbag? Was he meant to be an ex-Imperial officer? Is young Han Solo going to be like, tried at space-nuremberg or something? Is he going to narrowly escape being space-hanged in the space-hague?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ballz posted:

making GBS threads aside, I do like SMG's question at the end: why does R2D2 do what he does? I'd honestly be more interested in an origin story about him over young Han Solo.

Well, that movie exists. You see his origin in TPM: he was just another fix it droid on the royal yacht until he was brought before the queen in recognition of serving under fire.

Presumably he worked hard on behalf of the rebelling out of continued gratitude for the one human who actually bothered to thank him.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Ballz posted:

He's a spec ops agent for the Republic during the Clone Wars, saw it all go to poo poo and continued his spec ops career for the Rebellion. I figured his reasons were pretty in line with Leia/Bail, then tack on that he gets to gently caress the Death Star. He's basically a droid James Bond.

His origins as a full fledged agent are from the CGI Clone Wars series, the episode "Missing in Action" is where R2 really comes into the role.

Filthy Casual fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 24, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

well why not posted:

I really wonder what the Han Solo film's arc is going to be. Is it going to show him become an aloof scumbag? Was he meant to be an ex-Imperial officer? Is young Han Solo going to be like, tried at space-nuremberg or something? Is he going to narrowly escape being space-hanged in the space-hague?

It will almost certainly not be true to the character because Star Wars fans dont really appreciate that Han is really a scumbag criminal and kind of a piece of poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What the gently caress does "unsafe" Star Wars mean because I guarantee you it's not "funny" or anything like that.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

Presumably he worked hard on behalf of the rebelling out of continued gratitude for the one human who actually bothered to thank him.

"Thank you magic trashcan."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

El Disco posted:

"Thank you magic trashcan."
Speaking of which, guess what came out today.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

R2 is not a droid you idiots, he's a small man in a garbage can and always has been. All star wars cast and characters treating him like a Better Droid is just a message to all sub-people (droids) that they should be more like R2 if they want to be treated like equal citizens (which of course is impossible). That's the point.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This reminds me of internet videos 2004.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

It's a goddamn Thanksgiving miracle.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That last music number was kinda pointless and dull, wasn't it?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that either. On the other hand, the Jedi Party number was one of my favorites.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that either. On the other hand, the Jedi Party number was one of my favorites.

Maul......Mace Windu......Shaak Ti......Barriss......Stannis......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

What the gently caress does "unsafe" Star Wars mean because I guarantee you it's not "funny" or anything like that.

leia kissing her brother forcefully and passionately on the lips.

• Locked thread