Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

unknown posted:

(Good to hear your turkey came out well.) Be careful on the 25lb one - it might not fit in the MES width-wise. I find my limit is around 18lbs.

Your turkeys might vary.

Yeah I am going to try it tonight but I think it will be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Trastion posted:

. I just hope my "beer can" stand will hold up the bigger bird or I might have to get creative.

Spatchcock it if you can make it work space wise.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Y'all ever freeze cryo briskets? I have a chest freezer and nearest Sam's is an hour away. Brisket here (north MS) that isn't select is north of $4.50 a pound. Sams has it for 2.48/lb (plus 10% not-member fee). I was thinking about picking up 3 or 4 briskets while I'm up in Memphis in a couple of weeks.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I just throw them right in the freezer in the cryo bag. You lose a bit of quality by freezing but I'm not sure you'd actually notice in a head to head test.

And in the cryo there should be no air to cause freezer burn.

In other news I found something interesting today.

It's a plug in catering bag Obviously used by CFA

If I were to be transporting a pan of BBQ or a Turkey would this work better than a cooler? I tried warming the heater pad for 20 minutes as directed and it works fine. My house now smells like CFA.

It's in like new condition and was only $15 so i figured I'd just snag it.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 17, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A big hunk of meat is going to stay hot for hours in a cooler. My last brisket was still scalding my fingers 2 or so hours after putting it in a cooler and transporting it. Those heater bags are better for small things that will get cool quickly.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My last smoke of pork shoulder was held in a cooler for 6 hours and it probably only lost 10 degrees from 201. I wrap in heavy duty foil and then wrap in a full bath towel before sticking in the cooler. If you fill the extra space of the cooler with more towels/blankets it helps too. I moved quickly to get it done too. I think the long rest is nice too because the meat temp really regulates evenly.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Did a 12 hour smoke on my 22" wsm. Did a full ring of charcoal and put like 20 lit coals spread around top. I had to add charcoal again at hour 10 or so and then all of that charcoal (maybe 10-20 more briquettes) was finished. The butt was at 197 or so and jiggly and buttery smooth when I stuck it with a probe thermometer so I just called it a day. Temps hovered around 275, a little warmer than I wanted but it slowly crept down.

Should smoke be coming out of the sides of the lid or just out of the top vent? Is that about what I should expect out of a full ring of charcoal? If I closed the vents more to get it down to 225ish would it have gone longer? If I do a big ol brisket I might need more than 12 hours. Just add more if I need it?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Some smoke will leak out of the seams on a new Wsm and air will leak in causing temp variations. After a few smokes you will build up seasoning that will seal it better and will coat the inside and drop it's heat reflectivity and make it much more temp stable.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Is it worth trying to catch any drippings from a smoked turkey for gravy (using an 18" WSM)? I imagine you want to expose as much of the turkey skin as possible so you may not want to put it in a pan. If that's the case I would think you could put a pan on a lower shelf but it would evaporate/burn during the cook.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lifts cats over head posted:

Is it worth trying to catch any drippings from a smoked turkey for gravy (using an 18" WSM)? I imagine you want to expose as much of the turkey skin as possible so you may not want to put it in a pan. If that's the case I would think you could put a pan on a lower shelf but it would evaporate/burn during the cook.

Oh god yes. I filled my water pan with water then cooked off the water on the stove afterwards. Those drippings make amazing gravy.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I did a 10lb turkey and had a half aluminum pan on the shelf below to catch the dripping. Made the best gravy.

I am going to do a 22lb turkey but since I have a 40" MES I am thinking I am going to smoke for 2-3 hours then cook it in the oven at a higher temp for the rest. Everything I have read says not to do low and slow for that big a bird. Do you think it will get enough smoke into it in 3 hours? Time isn't really a factor I just don't want to make 20+ people sick.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Anybody smoked a ham? We usually get a city ham for the holidays and we've got a smoker to play with. Since we just need to warm the ham back up, I figure I can throw it in there until its hot through and be done. Just want to make sure I'm not wrong.

We're also doing half a turkey, should be fun.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Trastion posted:

I am going to do a 22lb turkey but since I have a 40" MES I am thinking I am going to smoke for 2-3 hours then cook it in the oven at a higher temp for the rest. Everything I have read says not to do low and slow for that big a bird. Do you think it will get enough smoke into it in 3 hours? Time isn't really a factor I just don't want to make 20+ people sick.

Remember you don't need "low and slow" with turkeys/poultry, so you can run your MES at it's max (275f).

So it's just a factor of time for cooking. Put a temperature probe into the turkey and pull it out when it's done then toss it in the oven for 15min to crisp up the skin like you did before.

Also, for maximum juiciness don't forget to (dry) brine the turkey like 48h in advance of cooking. (This is probably the biggest thing that will get you a nice juicy bird).

And finally, 3h is plenty for smoke if you're just going to put in the oven later to cook it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've got a turkey on the smoker for tomorrow. Aiming for 230F per what I read online (225-250)

My question: the wood chips I'm using say they'll smoke for about 15-30 minutes. Should I add more after they stop, or just let it sit? It's a propane smoker with a pan for charcoal cooking.

My smoker has a bottom door where the water pan and charcoal/wood chip pan are, so theoretically you can add more water/wood without loose as much heat.

Thoughts?

E: I just saw y'alls posts re:pans :saddowns:

Mines in a pan because I was worried about getting it out of the smoker once it was cooked, and thus more liable to fall apart or something.

I think it's too late to take it off, right? It's been in there almost 30 minutes...

Annath fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 23, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

I've got a turkey on the smoker for tomorrow. Aiming for 230F per what I read online (225-250)

My question: the wood chips I'm using say they'll smoke for about 15-30 minutes. Should I add more after they stop, or just let it sit? It's a propane smoker with a pan for charcoal cooking.

My smoker has a bottom door where the water pan and charcoal/wood chip pan are, so theoretically you can add more water/wood without loose as much heat.

Thoughts?

E: I just saw y'alls posts re:pans :saddowns:

Mines in a pan because I was worried about getting it out of the smoker once it was cooked, and thus more liable to fall apart or something.

I think it's too late to take it off, right? It's been in there almost 30 minutes...

Don't see why you couldn't take it out of the pan... Heat loss will make it take longer to cook, but shouldn't ruin anything. Definitely add wood chips every 30 minutes

I just finished injecting my turkey with this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-injection-sauce-with-honey-herbs-and-spice-145904

Was planning to smoke it with pecan until it hits 145, then put it in an oven at 375 until temp hits 165... The goal is to crisp the skin. That's goiing to work, right?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

unknown posted:

Remember you don't need "low and slow" with turkeys/poultry, so you can run your MES at it's max (275f).

So it's just a factor of time for cooking. Put a temperature probe into the turkey and pull it out when it's done then toss it in the oven for 15min to crisp up the skin like you did before.

Also, for maximum juiciness don't forget to (dry) brine the turkey like 48h in advance of cooking. (This is probably the biggest thing that will get you a nice juicy bird).

And finally, 3h is plenty for smoke if you're just going to put in the oven later to cook it.

Yeah the biggest thing from what I have been reading is getting through the danger zone 40-140 degrees within 4 hours can be tough with a big bird at the lower temps. Even at 275 I don't want to tempt fate and make a whole lot of people sick.

It has already been brining (dry, just salt & pepper) since yesterday and tonight I am going to inject it with some maple based injection.

Right now my plan is to smoke it at 250 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours then bring it in to the over and and finish at 350 until up to temp. During the transfer I am going to glaze it with some honey maple glaze/mop. My oven won't be being used for anything else so i would rather be safe than sorry with such a big bird.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Thanks for this... does the "I don't need low and slow" also apply if I do an injection instead of a brine?
Should I crisp it at 375?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Turned out well I think!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I'm smoking a 14 lb turkey today, first time doing it. I'm shooting for 3-3.5 hours at 325 with apple wood. Have a pan to put on the rack below it with the neck, giblets, carrot, onion and some herbs covered with water to make gravy. We'll see how it turns out.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks for this... does the "I don't need low and slow" also apply if I do an injection instead of a brine?
Should I crisp it at 375?

Poultry (aka Turkey/Chicken) protein doesn't break down like red meat/pork does, so there's no need to take it low'n'slow - get as close to 325f as you can. Doesn't matter if you brine/inject it or whatever.

Using a MES (like I do) means the turkey is actually vertical, so heat actually gets into the internal cavity more easily, so it cooks the whole bird faster (hence why I'm not worried about the 275f limit of the MES) as it cooks both outside -> in, and inside->out. Also more smoke flavour.

The high temp part in the oven (5-10min @ ~425f) at the end is just my trick to get the skin awesomely crisp, the meat is already cooked. Smokers have a habit of not fully crisping the skin up (although it'll look awesome gold colour with the smoke) due to that lower temp. If your turkey comes out nice and crisp, then don't worry about the oven part.

And people: don't forget to use that leftover carcass to make awesome smoked turkey stock that you can freeze!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This is my first time smoking a turkey but a couple of hours over 300 will usually crisp up the skin pretty well. I just had it at around 350 for half an hour at the end and it is perfectly crispy.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm having a hard time hitting 325 with my WSM/Guru combo- it's not even hitting 265. Maybe it's the cool 37 degree breezy weather. Oh well, I have a pellet smoker or an oven if it's not hot enough by the time the Turkey hits 145.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

AxeBreaker posted:

I'm having a hard time hitting 325 with my WSM/Guru combo- it's not even hitting 265. Maybe it's the cool 37 degree breezy weather. Oh well, I have a pellet smoker or an oven if it's not hot enough by the time the Turkey hits 145.

What sort of configuration do you have with your coal, and are you using lump or briquettes? I'm doing thanksgiving on Sunday and planning on spatchcocking the bird on my 22.5 WSM. I had no problem keeping my horizontal offset at 300-325 last year, so I hope I can do the same with the WSM. All vents open?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

No, this is on a BBQ Guru temperature controller so everything is shut but they bypass on the fan, which is wide open. It's a 10 CFM fan, over-sized for my 18.5" 8 year old beat up and leaky WSM. It's certainly gone above 265 before, just not when it was this cold. I'm using Kingsford Comp briquettes, I gave up on using lump years ago, too peaky.

It's a full ring and I blasted the lot with a weed burner, that should have lit the top layer.

I took a good digital thermometer to the top vents, thinking that something was off with my pit probe. The result was 270-295, with the lower result after opening the lid to re-position the pit probe. My thought is that the gravy pan below is putting off steam that is lowering the temperature. I should look into new probes too, they are 8 or 9 years old.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 25, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

unknown posted:

Poultry (aka Turkey/Chicken) protein doesn't break down like red meat/pork does, so there's no need to take it low'n'slow - get as close to 325f as you can. Doesn't matter if you brine/inject it or whatever.

Using a MES (like I do) means the turkey is actually vertical, so heat actually gets into the internal cavity more easily, so it cooks the whole bird faster (hence why I'm not worried about the 275f limit of the MES) as it cooks both outside -> in, and inside->out. Also more smoke flavour.

The high temp part in the oven (5-10min @ ~425f) at the end is just my trick to get the skin awesomely crisp, the meat is already cooked. Smokers have a habit of not fully crisping the skin up (although it'll look awesome gold colour with the smoke) due to that lower temp. If your turkey comes out nice and crisp, then don't worry about the oven part.

And people: don't forget to use that leftover carcass to make awesome smoked turkey stock that you can freeze!

My turkey came out of my MES awesome. I was worried because of it being 22.5 lbs but it hit 140+ in under 3 hours so I left it in until done and then crisped in the oven with a honey maple glaze. Skin was still a little rubbery to me but I don't typically eat the skin anyways.

RAVE REVIEWS!

We have had deep fried turkeys and oven turkeys for years and everyone said this was the best one ever. I have a feeling I will be smoking turkeys every year from here on out.

I hardly have any leftovers. :(

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Trastion posted:

My turkey came out of my MES awesome. I was worried because of it being 22.5 lbs but it hit 140+ in under 3 hours so I left it in until done and then crisped in the oven with a honey maple glaze. Skin was still a little rubbery to me but I don't typically eat the skin anyways.

RAVE REVIEWS!

We have had deep fried turkeys and oven turkeys for years and everyone said this was the best one ever. I have a feeling I will be smoking turkeys every year from here on out.

I hardly have any leftovers. :(

Congrats! Turkey is not hard to do, it's just performance anxiety since it's generally for a crowd with big expectations.

In the future, crisp the skin, then glaze it with warm sauce. Another trick is to make sure the skin in completely dry before putting it in the smoker. Either in the fridge while dry brining it by allowing a lot of airflow around it (ie: don't plastic wrap it), or if you want to look hardcore, use a hair drier on no-heat mode (this tip from a local chef) to dry it out.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Stupid question: can you smoke a turkey for a while to get that flavor in there, and then deep-fry that motherfucker get it crispy/finish it off, or is that defeating one of the two purposes?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I have smoked a chicken then butchered it, battered it and fried it. It was the best of both worlds. I don't know about the whole bird without the batter though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Stupid question: can you smoke a turkey for a while to get that flavor in there, and then deep-fry that motherfucker get it crispy/finish it off, or is that defeating one of the two purposes?

I've smoked turkeys in the past - easiest is to spatchcock it and cook it up using a recipe similar to this one. To finish, I put it in an oven set to 375F till the skin is crispy. Turns out great every time.

If you're confident in your ability to do it, you can also try and crank the smoker up to 375+ to do the same. I've not done it myself with turkey though.

EDIT: words

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Not sure which thread would better fit this question but so I'll ask it here first.

I'm going to Austin for a week and I saw Franklin's sells whole chilled/refrigerated briskets for 130ish, vacuum sealed. If I were to purchase one (they're still available for dates that work for me), whats the best way to reheat it?

I planned on keeping it in the vacuum pack and popping it in the sous vide, but my question is at what temp and for how long would you guys recommend? I guess they typically weigh in at 5-6 pounds.

I'll probably cross post this in the sous vide thread if I dont get much feedback here.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

atothesquiz posted:

Not sure which thread would better fit this question but so I'll ask it here first.

I'm going to Austin for a week and I saw Franklin's sells whole chilled/refrigerated briskets for 130ish, vacuum sealed. If I were to purchase one (they're still available for dates that work for me), whats the best way to reheat it?

I planned on keeping it in the vacuum pack and popping it in the sous vide, but my question is at what temp and for how long would you guys recommend? I guess they typically weigh in at 5-6 pounds.

I'll probably cross post this in the sous vide thread if I dont get much feedback here.

I'd recommend reading the directions on the package. https://franklinbarbecue.com/whole-chilled-briskets/

edit: If you're just trying to determine which is the better of the two package recommendations I'd probably go with sous vide if you have a bath big enough.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Saw that too but not really specific to (perferred/best) temp or time (at all). It just mentioned that USDA recommends 165 for safety reasons.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's already been heated up to around 200 over a long number of hours, so I doubt you'd end up doing much damage while reheating. I personally always reheat brisket to 140, just as a matter of what temp I want to eat it at, and speed of it being ready.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

My parents just gave me a huge ham that was vacuum sealed and frozen a year and a half ago. Worth trying to do anything with it or just throw it away?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

lifts cats over head posted:

My parents just gave me a huge ham that was vacuum sealed and frozen a year and a half ago. Worth trying to do anything with it or just throw it away?

If it's been frozen the whole time, it's perfectly fine to eat.

Even if you don't smoke it, you can dice it up and use it for kick rear end bean/pea soup.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Have the smoker loaded up today. 2 Turkeys, Pork Shoulder, Ribs and some drummies. Should be some kick rear end meals this week.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is mostly a :rant: post about how irritated I am for dicking up a third package of ribs. I will try to minimize my :words: but hopefully someone can chime in how I am screwing up something so simple.

I have the little Traeger Junior Elite Pro. I have cooked a lot of ribs, including some of the most perfect that you could pull the bone out completely clean. The last 3 packs of ribs have been tough and not as easily eaten. Flavor is good - but they are tough. My initial thoughts were over cooking which I adjusted for yesterday and the still turned out the same. Setup is as follows:
  • Mustard/worcestershire/apple juice glaze with salt and pepper over the top
  • place on smoker at 160* temp for 3 hours (yesterday adjusted to 2 1/2 hours because I was concerned I was overcooking them)
  • Remove from smoker and place in heavy duty foil with a splash of apple juice with a little bit of honey. Tent the foil so it is not tight
  • Place in smoker at 225* for two hours. Yesterday I used my oven for this portion as it was balls cold outside and I was worried about my Traeger holding temps in 35* weather. They were in the oven at 235* for 1 3/4 hours
  • Remove from foil, place on smoker (still at 225*) and cover in BBQ sauce until the sauce tightens. This is at least 30 minutes but could be as long as one hour.

Where am I going wrong? I am longing for the ribs that I have made before. I generally buy the smallest pack of ribs from Costco so they fit on my smoker better, which is why I had my suspicion that I was overcooking them.

On another note I think I am going to try and make a blanket for my smoker for the winter time following the guidelines found on this blog here because spending $100 on the genuine Traeger unit for my $350 seems unnecessary.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is mostly a :rant: post about how irritated I am for dicking up a third package of ribs. I will try to minimize my :words: but hopefully someone can chime in how I am screwing up something so simple.

I have the little Traeger Junior Elite Pro. I have cooked a lot of ribs, including some of the most perfect that you could pull the bone out completely clean. The last 3 packs of ribs have been tough and not as easily eaten. Flavor is good - but they are tough. My initial thoughts were over cooking which I adjusted for yesterday and the still turned out the same. Setup is as follows:
  • Mustard/worcestershire/apple juice glaze with salt and pepper over the top
  • place on smoker at 160* temp for 3 hours (yesterday adjusted to 2 1/2 hours because I was concerned I was overcooking them)
  • Remove from smoker and place in heavy duty foil with a splash of apple juice with a little bit of honey. Tent the foil so it is not tight
  • Place in smoker at 225* for two hours. Yesterday I used my oven for this portion as it was balls cold outside and I was worried about my Traeger holding temps in 35* weather. They were in the oven at 235* for 1 3/4 hours
  • Remove from foil, place on smoker (still at 225*) and cover in BBQ sauce until the sauce tightens. This is at least 30 minutes but could be as long as one hour.

Where am I going wrong? I am longing for the ribs that I have made before. I generally buy the smallest pack of ribs from Costco so they fit on my smoker better, which is why I had my suspicion that I was overcooking them.

On another note I think I am going to try and make a blanket for my smoker for the winter time following the guidelines found on this blog here because spending $100 on the genuine Traeger unit for my $350 seems unnecessary.

I've always just run the smoker at 225° and use the bend test and they always seem to turn out good. At that point I sauce them and put them back on the smoker for 30 minutes.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Agree. You are getting in your own way by making it too complicated with the temp change. I stick with 2-2-X method.

225 the whole time
2 hours uncovered with just dry rub
2 hours foiled with whatever flavorful liquid/glaze you want
X hours uncovered until they are done.
Thin layer of sauce, back on for like 10 minutes to tighten up the sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm sure this has been asked before, but looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get an electric smoker. Specifically, I've been looking at the Traegers, Green Mountain Grill, and a Camp Chef. What is the general opinion on these grills? I've been leaning more towards the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi model, since I have a buddy that one and loves it. I also know a couple people who have a Traeger, and their biggest complaint is the temp doesn't get that high. I don't know anything about the Camp Chef stuff except that it exists.

Is there something else I should be looking at?