Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was the biggest war criminal of Killzone 2?
Rico
Sev
Visari
Blind Sally
Killzone 1
Crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cooked Auto posted:

While shrieking madly like a gi-
No wait, that's just CJacobs.

I saw someone trash talking our lady peace elsewhere on SA and for a moment I was about to be like HEY DON'T YOU poo poo TALK OUR LADY PEACE THEIR SONG IS SPECIAL TO ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9eSIGqNpE&t=194s

:patriot: :patriot:

Yes, tovarich! Very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CJacobs posted:

I saw someone trash talking our lady peace elsewhere on SA and for a moment I was about to be like HEY DON'T YOU poo poo TALK OUR LADY PEACE THEIR SONG IS SPECIAL TO ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9eSIGqNpE&t=194s

What not even a good song of theirs like One More Astronaut or Superman's Dead?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scaramouche posted:

What not even a good song of theirs like One More Astronaut or Superman's Dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmjFgqUMFo

It's special to meeeeee

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You guys are weird*.

it was an attempt on my part to conflate I Mother Earth and Our Lady Peace because they sound exactly the same

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well you fooled me! I do not know much about canadian rock bands except that they are great.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

i have a surprise for you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Other Things Defying Gravity

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeeeeesssssssssssssssssss this is the best way to end the lp

NejD
Oct 3, 2013

I really kinda hate the way this punch is shot. the shot where rico actually gets punched is cut to way too late the angle they use is a very tv kinda angle and just serves to not show rico actually getting hit which makes it look fake, the slow/lazy pan is too slow to give a real sense of motion or force and somehow still obscures narvilles fist/arm after he connects so the lack of follow through makes the punch look weak.
I get why they made some of these choices basically to save money on animation and make the scene feel more unexpected but i really dont think the surprise would ever be worth making the actual impact lessened. The scene would really be helped just from the shot starting about a second before the punch, the camera following the punch's movement and being able to see narvilles motion follow through after he connects probably by having the camera zoom out a little as it pans with rico falling down. Maybe im just reading way too far into something that no one else cares about.

Edit:
Also it cutting just before the punch starts makes it look like rico is bracing for the punch which makes it look super fake at least to me.

NejD fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well poo poo, you've figured out the secret. Killzone is actually a soap opera. Rico Ricardo doesn't get paid enough to take a real punch, even from an actor!

edit: It is a strange place to cut to another angle though. I assume the reason it doesn't look like he really got punched is because the mocap actor didn't want to actually hit the other guy (and/or wasn't allowed to cuz it might knock the mocap suit lightbulb things off of him).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 20, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dude it's so the stuntman can react to the punch without getting him face broke, cut them some slack

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scaramouche posted:

Dude it's so the stuntman can react to the punch without getting him face broke, cut them some slack

Well yeah but they could have made it look slightly more real in editing. Maybe they did, and the source motion capture looked even faker! Maybe whoever did the mocap for Rico has never even felt the air of a punch going by!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, brother, let me tell you something about Killzone 3's motion capture.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Old men, mocapping the world. Warning. Warning.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Old men, mocapping the world. Warning. Warning.

Get the hell out of here, Velasquez.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

chiasaur11 posted:

Get the hell out of here, Velasquez.
The ISA may not go as quietly. Intelligence indicates they're behind the problems on Helghan.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Watching the mocap in action is pretty great. Found one of Brian Cox doing Visari in the final Killzone 2 cutscene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3UFnToAYY

Also, Yahtzee liked Killzone 3 less than I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPDRSVcfJo

Also, also, Yahtzee liked Resistance 3 more than I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8TujFWKjQ

Also, also, also, a great making of Killzone video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Bbsea4frk (wish I found this one sooner)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NejD posted:

I get why they made some of these choices basically to save money on animation and make the scene feel more unexpected but i really dont think the surprise would ever be worth making the actual impact lessened.

Considering how much work Guerrilla put into animations in general, I personally lean more towards believing they just wanted the cinematics to look more like a Hollywood movie than anything--even if that meant sacrificing some of the more visceral moments in favour of cinematic style.

Not to say this is a defence of that scene; I absolutely agree, the cutaway makes the punch less gratifying.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Blind Sally posted:

Also, Yahtzee liked Killzone 3 less than I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwPDRSVcfJo
How well do complaints about British villains hold up now, do you think?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

How well do complaints about British villains hold up now, do you think?

They won't be a problem much longer, it's going to be nothing but Trump impressions for video game villains now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Man. gently caress 2016. Bowie's dead. Rickman's dead. Prince is dead. Ali's dead. Gwen Ifill's dead. Trump is President. And Blind Sally's a mod now.

Oh well, at least Killzone is dead too now :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy poo poo Blind Sally is a mod. Congrats/I'm so sorry, man!

edit:

Jim's Now a Let's Play Moderator!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

When is Autarch Visally's inauguration address?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

When is Autarch Visally's inauguration address?

And does this mean that nine-gear crow is his Senator Hitler-Vape?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

White Coke posted:

They won't be a problem much longer, it's going to be nothing but Trump impressions for video game villains now.

Metal Gear Rising is way ahead of you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

And does this mean that nine-gear crow is his Senator Hitler-Vape?

Let's be honest here, I am his Stahl and you all know it.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Let's be honest here, I am his Stahl and you all know it.

Alright, so when do you explode him, and subsequently get nuked for your trouble?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pythonicus posted:

Alright, so when do you explode him, and subsequently get nuked for your trouble?

And then take out the entire Games subforum in the fallout.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

HardDiskD posted:

And then take out the entire Games subforum in the fallout.

And which subforum will the survivors be resettled on?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

White Coke posted:

And which subforum will the survivors be resettled on?

GBS, if you want a veiled death sentence.

Kinda like Helghan.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Things have changed

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The premise of Shadow Fall is seriously that they resettled the Helghan survivors on the homeworld of the people they just fought a bloody and catastrophic war with? This is a plan that made sense to anyone at all? :psyduck:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

malkav11 posted:

The premise of Shadow Fall is seriously that they resettled the Helghan survivors on the homeworld of the people they just fought a bloody and catastrophic war with? This is a plan that made sense to anyone at all? :psyduck:

It makes perfect sense if, like EarthGov, the only emotion you can feel anymore is spite.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

malkav11 posted:

Again, the going theory is that EarthGov swooped in and went "You see? We told you morons. We loving told you: 'Don't invade Helghan.' But you didn't listen, so now guess what? You get to care for all the people whose home you blew up. Get hosed, Vekta." Echo says that "a settlement was negotiated" over the intro, but it's basically Earth strongarming Vekta into it purely out of spite to punish Vekta for disobeying its directives.

Earth knew exactly what it was doing when it concocted this insane "compromise" :getin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, the gist of the overarching plot goes something like this: Helghan invades Vekta. The Vektan ISA hold out until the Earth fleet can arrive and the Helghast are decimated or driven back to Helghan.

That's the first two games, Killzone and Liberation. Afterwards, EarthGov says to Vekta, "DO NOT INVADE HELGHAN, WE ARE SENDING DIPLOMATS TO SETTLE THIS WITHOUT FURTHER BLOODSHED. I REPEAT: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE INVADE HELGHAN."

Then Vekta invades Helghan (Killzone 2 & 3), culminating in the loving accidental genocide of the Helghast.

I like to imagine at that point EarthGov just called up the Vektan government and said, "gently caress you, loving fix this."

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I also think that some time after Killzone 3 someone told the ISA that the fleet going to nuke Earth was just Stahl's and the realised that they unwittingly helped killed plenty of women and children left on Helghan and I guess someone somewhere probably felt bad? Though EarthGov strong arming them does seem the more likely reason.

As for the LPs they have been magnificent I love the Killzone games and so far everyone involved has done such a great job of showing them off. Look forward to seeing more.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There is no conceivable universe in which "stick the people who hate each other together in a confined space" fixes the situation. Unless you're angling for a solution where they kill each other to the last man, I guess.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Marshal Radisic posted:

It makes perfect sense if, like EarthGov, the only emotion you can feel anymore is spite.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I meant, let's be honest here, if EarthGov, Vekta, and Helghan were capable of solving this crisis in a truly rational manner we wouldn't have any more Killzone games.

Earth only ever figures into the universe from the background, though, so it's genuinely hard to guess what their motivations are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

malkav11 posted:

There is no conceivable universe in which "stick the people who hate each other together in a confined space" fixes the situation. Unless you're angling for a solution where they kill each other to the last man, I guess.

Look, either they learn to get along, one of them kills the other, or they all die.

That's a win win win for Earth.

• Locked thread