Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, that's about what I'd expect (I had a 17-win streak through the D-ranks myself) but it takes quite a few games to get up to B-rank even without any losses to lower Score and kill your winstreaks on the way. There's no real reason to worry about ranking up too fast IMO, worst case you can always concede your way back down the ranks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

you can do elana/seraph with one seraph although i think most people use 2

I use one plus Olivia. At first it was a card availability thing but I've had games Olivia won that Seraph wouldn't and none where if that Olivia was a Seraph I'd have saved a game, so now I do it by choice.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, that's about what I'd expect (I had a 17-win streak through the D-ranks myself) but it takes quite a few games to get up to B-rank even without any losses to lower Score and kill your winstreaks on the way. There's no real reason to worry about ranking up too fast IMO, worst case you can always concede your way back down the ranks again.

Oh you can concede down in ranks?

That kind of changes things. I was under the impression that once you achieve a certain rank, you will be stuck there as there's no rank resetting as far as I know.

Thanks!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
You can't drop out of letter ranks

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I forgot about that (since it's never come up for me) but I assume it's got some kinda matchmaking system that doesn't pair someone with 25 consecutive losses with someone that has 25 wins even if they happen to share the same rank. Even hearthstone has that, and Hearthstone's ladder system is still pretty poo poo.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

(Maintenance extended by 2 hours)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gimme the free packs cygames

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Haven mirror, getting the opponent to wrath at 7 when you're on the play owns.

You mean I get turn 8 to slap down a Seraph uncontested? DON'T MIND IF I DO.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, yesterday I watched the JP RAGE tournament and despite a heroic effort by Isabelle to counter some decks I learned that, at least in tournaments, there are only three classes in the game and that the most popular decks for them are midrange sword, elana, and ptp forest. All of them are stupid powerful but elana, when it snowballs, seems particularly bullshit, it's like some dude is playing their 4/5s and 3/4s into a field populated by final fantasy characters.

PTP forest: The least consistent of these decks (and the most fun-looking). Seemed like players had to juggle a billion things just to survive but it can pull complete miracles. There was a guy playing the mirror who was a bit too slow with his roach math and didn't have time to kill the other dude only to have an altered fate -> fairy circle -> altered fate -> ptp with exact shadows happen next. Most powerful cards: Ancient Elf, Elf Child May. No, seriously, May wrecked decks, totally destroyed them plenty of times.

Midrange Sword: Seemed like the most consistent deck. You can get lucky and get a fervid->fencer->white general start and suddenly your opponent has less than 10 life before he can evolve but you can also play the control game. Good stuff. Most powerful cards: Not one really, it was mostly a collaborative effort. But Otohime's bodyguards are indeed the most annoying card. Just shut up!

Elana: Yeah, if this thing is not killed quickly (and it's hard to kill) then it'll probably win. Once themis is available anything goes. Defeats become victories and all sorts of nasty bullshit happens. Ridiculous stuff. Most powerful cards: Elana (duh), that thing is pretty close to broken.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So is there any deck that is good against Elana's because even at rank C all I am seeing these days is Elana and seeing as how I've been playing aggro Shadowcraft I just can not stop that poo poo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So is there any deck that is good against Elana's because even at rank C all I am seeing these days is Elana and seeing as how I've been playing aggro Shadowcraft I just can not stop that poo poo.

Well, Elana is supposed to be weak to aggro so my guess is that your deck is not fast enough? Around what turn do your matches usually end?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 24, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

trucutru posted:

Well, Elana is supposed to be weak to aggro so my guess is that your deck is not fast enough? Around what turn do your matches usually end?

I'm pretty sure it's the polar opposite of this. Elana deals with aggro because it can heal back early damage; it's control that causes problems. For me, the worst matchup tends to be Spellboost Runecraft.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the polar opposite of this. Elana deals with aggro because it can heal back early damage; it's control that causes problems. For me, the worst matchup tends to be Spellboost Runecraft.

Ok, I have not much experience and that sounds logical. I guess seeing Elana go down to super-aggresive decks yesterday made me think that but those were close matches indeed, where the other guys had perfect curves.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 24, 2016

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
In my experience Elana is favoured against aggro, is roughly even against midrange decks, and gets dicked on by the heavy control decks like Dshift and PtP. As always its kinda draw dependent - if you don't get Elana ever you are kinda hosed against midrange, otoh if you get an early Elana (or even double Elana) into a big board you can possibly put up enough pressure to beat control.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

trucutru posted:

Ok, I have not much experience and that sounds logical. But how does control deal with her when she starts snowballing?

For the most part something like Dshift will win before Elana can reasonably put on the pressure. The thing about Dshift and PtP is they are entirely designed around stopping pressure before it builds too high, and then they just kinda win regardless of board state.

Basically, they win before Elana can win.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Blood and Banner are both aggro decks that can both put up good games against Elana. Blood is pretty draw dependent and it really REALLY wants to go first but it's not at all impossible to get in under their ability to take the board back. The match doesn't favor blood but it's not that unlikely to get a good draw and get in under them.

Banner has a better match because they have a billion guys with Storm. Hell, getting decreed can sometimes be the best thing to happen to them because it's like okay you spent your whole turn not healing and I still have a banner out. Storm, storm, storm, you're dead.

Granted this is my experience playing the Seraph hybrid, not pure. But Elana is coming down on 3 at the earliest and if you're on the draw, that is VERY SLOW. Most of the time it's better to save Elana for a turn where you drop it and a healer but you don't always get a 3 drop, so you end up putting Elana down on 3 and have no responses to their board. The hybrid tends to run Rabbit Healer but not Unica. If they miss that 2 drop or misread the enemy (e.g. oh they played Vanguard and not Quickblader, maybe they're mid) and play Beastcaller instead, they don't start contesting the board til 3 at the earliest, and 4 isn't out of the question.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 24, 2016

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Golden Battler posted:

For the most part something like Dshift will win before Elana can reasonably put on the pressure. The thing about Dshift and PtP is they are entirely designed around stopping pressure before it builds too high, and then they just kinda win regardless of board state.

Basically, they win before Elana can win.

I think I'm 12-1 with my dshift deck against elana decks now. I'm just gorging myself on their ranked points over here in rank B.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

no, your right, it's just even worse against spellboost.

https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/meta-deck-analytics-report-7-14-20:

quote:

• Elana Haven has no good answer against the early aggressive plays from decks like Banner Sword and Tempo Forest.
• On the other hand, Elana Haven has no true late game win condition which made its late game subpar compared to Spellboost Rune or Purgatory Forest.

quote:

• (last week) On top of that Seraph Haven has only a couple of weak matchups. The more notable ones being Spellboost Rune and Banner Sword.
• Fun fact - Seraph Haven's win rate against Spellboost Rune for the week was as low as 24.4% in the Master rank.

though I suppose banner sword is not really synonymous with 'aggro', because it's much better then any of the other aggro decks.

e; oh, oops, read the person you quoted as saying banner rather then shadow. Yeah, aggro shadow is really good but completely countered by haven, so you're not winning that one.

_jink fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 24, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

just had a haven seraph me in arena with like 3 amulet time reducers what the gently caress

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Indecisive posted:

just had a haven seraph me in arena with like 3 amulet time reducers what the gently caress

Always be wary when they put out a seraph and still have a full hand.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i got out of beginner and its like someone flipped a switch and all i saw last night was elana (and it dropped on t3 every drat time). clearly i am playing banner wrong if it is supposed to be really strong against it. how do you get around 3 for 1 rabbit healers and poo poo constantly dropping and also healing any damage you did?

i should probably just play the elana/seraph deck i made but hitting face with swords is fun

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

I think Control Shadow sucks compared to Aggro but magical things happen if you can survive past turn 7.

I was dead to Frontguard General and a 7/8 Aurelia but the zombie wall and Lord of the Flies spawning more walls stalled long enough for Mordecai to take over.

Also that's the first time I've seen the alternate leader for swordcraft.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

i got out of beginner and its like someone flipped a switch and all i saw last night was elana (and it dropped on t3 every drat time). clearly i am playing banner wrong if it is supposed to be really strong against it.

It's not so much that it's really strong against it. It's that you have several ways to win (a draw too fast to start clawing it back, a lot of storm hitting them at once, etc.) and that the Seraph hybrid version stumbles against aggro more than pure Elana.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Aggro Blood steals so many wins it's not even funny.

I need a "Sorry not sorry." emote.

Bonus:

Double Vampiric Fortress is always a riot.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
How does the ordering with 2 Vampire Fortresses even work?

e:
My gut instinct is the first triggers and pops for 2 damage, then the second triggers and pops for 3. Is that right?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

How does the ordering with 2 Vampire Fortresses even work?

e:
My gut instinct is the first triggers and pops for 2 damage, then the second triggers and pops for 3. Is that right?

Yep, that's exactly right.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

At what rank does Storm Haven stop being a free win generator? I'm getting 8-9 win streaks at B1, with half my losses being to mirror match.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

At what rank does Storm Haven stop being a free win generator? I'm getting 8-9 win streaks at B1, with half my losses being to mirror match.

It's a good deck throughout, but at AA and higher it only has a 51% win rate, compared to a 55% rate at B.

Heal Haven is one of its bad matchups and being a cheap deck, pretty common across the whole ladder... but people at lower ranks can be pretty bad at piloting it. In higher ranks you're more likely to face people that can afford building Midrange Sword and Tempo Forest, which are two popular bad matchups. Another deck that trounces Storm Haven (But you probably won't see any of it until late A and early AA.) is Control Blood.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 25, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sophism posted:

It's a good deck throughout, but at AA and higher it only has a 51% win rate, compared to a 55% rate at B. Elana I imagine is pretty common across the entire ladder right now, and it's one of its bad matchups, but higher up in the ranks you're more likely to face people that can afford building Midrange Sword and Tempo Forest, which are two popular bad matchups.

Affordability is not an issue, midrange sword and tempo forest are everywhere in the low Bs, it just seems that the people who dropped the big $$$ on them are not very good at dealing with aggression. Like, I am at B1, almost reaching B2, and have a 15-match streak, mostly against expensive decks. Seems like the midrange swords waste to much time salivating about the sick, sick Aurelia they are going to drop into all my dudes to consider that I have assassins waiting for her. Meanwhile, the fairies tend to panic and leave too many fairies exposed (anticipating some wind-god play, I guess) instead of being patient enough to control the rush, so it's quite easy to dismantle their fairy engine. In other words, they tend to have a very specific game plan and do not react that well to decks that force them to move away from it.

Heal Haven is annoying but way too many people in B want to extract maximum value from their healers and pretty much do nothing at the start. So they get rushed down. I mean, if it is turn 3 and I have 4 1-hp duders on the board you don't drop Elana, what's your problem?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 25, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

When do ranks reset anyway? Is it monthly or some other system

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I wish other crafts had even half as many staples in the animated basics rewards as Swordcraft has.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I didn't run into like any resistance until around B3, where I swapped to Aggro Blood for one rank. Running Elana/Seraph now but Storm still seems fine.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 25, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cant wait to unlock animated floral fencers. got quickbladers last night

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lord Ephraim posted:

Also that's the first time I've seen the alternate leader for swordcraft.

I personally hate Latham because not only is he a crappy card, but he's a pale imitation of some really strong MtG cards.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Good-bye sweet-rear end winning streak, you had your sweet sixteen but had to draw badly against midrange sword. Aurelia is too fat if don't have removal.

On the other hand I crushed three Elanas next. Even double priest of the cudgel and five heals won't save you against the zerg. (to be fair, one of them healed a priest once instead of their face and lost thanks to that)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 25, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I only had to win two games after some unranked ones in another class to clear my quest today.

First game: Uh oh, it's Earth Rite, which kicks the poo poo out of Elana/Seraph.

Except when you flood the entire board with Earth Rites and don't have a Petrify to consume one, I guess. I'm never gonna have that easy a win off that bad a matchup ever again.

Second game: Elana mirror. Not sure if they're hybrid. Yeah, dude. Ignore the unevolved 10/10 when you're at 13. Clear the smaller guy. Y'know, for value.

Good grief that's the easiest two games I've ever played.

Falling Cat
Nov 4, 2012

I conserve angular momentum
Wow, uh, so I was on my last take-two match as shadowcraft and I had this really close game against swordcraft that could have gone either way (I was at 4-0 too so it was pretty intense). But sometime past turn 10 they got past my ward with a spell and we both had lethal on board at that point.

So I was like "drat, guess I lost" and went to record my stats in my spreadsheet, but when I came back he still hadn't killed me. I thought he was just doing some bm crap but I was kind of curious what else he had in his hand so I waited... And then he just disconnected.

I'm pretty happy I didn't concede, but man I feel bad for that guy, I would be salty as hell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

First game: Uh oh, it's Earth Rite, which kicks the poo poo out of Elana/Seraph.

Except when you flood the entire board with Earth Rites and don't have a Petrify to consume one, I guess. I'm never gonna have that easy a win off that bad a matchup ever again.

I played Earth Rite for a long time and hated Elana/Seraph. You can never count on drawing petrifies when it counts, and your game plan of outlasting the opponent with value is something they're simply better at. I definitely considered it my worst match-up, until PtP decks started filling the ladder at higher ranks.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Which pack is better to grab with free tix?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Which pack is better to grab with free tix?

Standard packs and Darkness Evolved packs have separate tickets so if you're talking about the free ones you get after starting out, there's no choice involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Oh, that's pretty sweet. Well I guess I may as well just delete garbo on my phone to try this out.

• Locked thread