Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I mean, Parson's side did the exact same thing when they went on their big post-Archenpliers-attunement expansion. We were told about it in a text update from the perspective of a stabber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Prisoner can choose the Easy way, or the Hard way... :gonk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Except this time neither way ends in sushi.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I mean, Parson's side did the exact same thing when they went on their big post-Archenpliers-attunement expansion. We were told about it in a text update from the perspective of a stabber.
At least when Gobwin Knob/Wanda did it they were brought back as decrypted afterward.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jesus Christ, the anniversary is in two weeks.

The ten year anniversary.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone make one of those "HOW TO MAKE SOMEONE FEEL OLD" xkcd charts with webcomics. What year did Loss happen?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Someone make one of those "HOW TO MAKE SOMEONE FEEL OLD" xkcd charts with webcomics. What year did Loss happen?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I remember reading it live. The finale of the original CAD Was similarly ridiculous hah

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My reaction was basically, "There are zero words in this one. I don't believe it."

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I don't usually get frustrated with a webcomic's pacing. I always figure it'll read well when all is said and done. But Jesus this arc needs to hit a climax and falling action already.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

New update hits almost every square of Erfworld is Bad Now Bingo
-Glacial pacing
-One step forward for Parson, two steps back
-Sociopathic Jillian Sue
-Yet another branching storyline that's going nowhere
-Less wargaming, more ~interpersonal drama~ (between characters you could not pay me to care about)
-Wildly inconsistent (is GK the toughest defensive position in the world or can it be easily taken by an invasion from a tiny side?)
-Passing off the Stupid Ball, once more into the hands of Don King
-Puppetmaster Charlie
-Seriously insanely, unjustifiably slow pacing

Balder's lost the plot. He's spinning his wheels. We need to bring in a closer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

-Yet another branching storyline that's going nowhere

It seems like it's pretty clearly building to "Stanley is being hunted by Jillian without having Parson or any of his best units available."

quote:

-Less wargaming, more ~interpersonal drama~ (between characters you could not pay me to care about)

The story has always been about how interpersonal drama beats careful strategy.

quote:

-Wildly inconsistent (is GK the toughest defensive position in the world or can it be easily taken by an invasion from a tiny side?)

It's very tough unless all the leadership leaves and there's nobody to fire off the defenses or command the infantry.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

is GK the toughest defensive position in the world or can it be easily taken by an invasion from a tiny side?

A little too easily... :smug:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What's Jillian's grudge against Stanley specifically? I stopped reading for years when the comic couldn't retain artists and it became a web story. Is it just because Ansom got killed and Decrypted?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Galvanik posted:

What's Jillian's grudge against Stanley specifically? I stopped reading for years when the comic couldn't retain artists and it became a web story. Is it just because Ansom got killed and Decrypted?

He destroyed the original Faq. Presumably killing her father in the process.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I think I'm done with ErfWorld. We've had a whole lot of nothing for a very long time.

It'd make a really cool RPG setting, where all the weird rules interactions and things can be used by players, make a party of Parsons. But as a comic that can't even decide what the plot of the book is, much less how long it should be?

Bye, thread. Y'all've been cool. :shrug:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with ErfWorld. We've had a whole lot of nothing for a very long time.

It'd make a really cool RPG setting, where all the weird rules interactions and things can be used by players, make a party of Parsons. But as a comic that can't even decide what the plot of the book is, much less how long it should be?

Bye, thread. Y'all've been cool. :shrug:

It can't decide if it wants to be a comic, a book or a graphic novel.

I was done with it, but came back when they settled on a reliable update schedule. If they stop regularly updating (like that thanksgiving post seems to indicate), I'm probably going to give it a miss for a months as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

He destroyed the original Faq. Presumably killing her father in the process.

He razed a kingdom she didn't care for and killed a father she hated, allowing her to live a life of mindless mercenary action she enjoyed more than all.

Also the real culprit here is Wanda because Stanley would never have even heard of Faq without her.

Jillian is all about cognitive dissonance.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Jillian doesn't know about Wanda's betrayal, I think.

And while she had a terrible relationship with her father, I never got the feeling that she'd have been happy to see him dead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nimby posted:

It can't decide if it wants to be a comic, a book or a graphic novel.

I was done with it, but came back when they settled on a reliable update schedule. If they stop regularly updating (like that thanksgiving post seems to indicate), I'm probably going to give it a miss for a months as well.

They said they would be sticking to the update schedule and donations per on-time update, they just said that they were going to be missing one last week because of the holiday, and I would expect another missed comic or two around Christmas. He specifically says that he likes the built-in accountability of their donation system, though, which forces them to keep to a regular schedule, and that it wasn't going to be changing.

As far as the story goes, I maintain that this would be much less painful to read when it's all done, but yeah, it does feel like they're spinning their wheels a little too much here. The MK battle seemed to be the climax of this "book", and all this unrelated afterward seems like it could have waited until the MK trial and denouement.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm hoping that that transcription of the Flesh Golem talking Parson down from killing everyone convinces Caesar and the rest of Transylvito that they'll take alliance with Gobwin Knob over indirect alliance with Charlescomm. Can an heir designate take over without killing the king outright? If they could leave Don King under house arrest instead of murdering him I can see them trying to take over over Transylvito and have Albert overthrow Faq.

let us fill the glacial pace with rampant speculation

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It is spinning its wheels. I mentioned that the book is looking to get longer than Book 1 and 2 already, and it just feels like so many plots happening at once that don't need to be happening. I mean... yes they do work as naturally branching events that come out of the fallout of everything that's happened. But it feels like we don't need to see it. Like... we didn't need to see Gobwin Knob take cities that weren't Spacerock in the lead up to book 2.

There's just so much happening and some of it NEEDS to start wrapping up.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It just cements my opinion that the book should have really wrapped the hell up after the MK battle instead of spinning this poo poo out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Reene posted:

It just cements my opinion that the book should have really wrapped the hell up after the MK battle instead of spinning this poo poo out.

It should have, a lot of this stuff feels like the Post-Script for Book 1 and 2 rather than a continuation of Book 3. And I feel like this is the problem. The fact that we're still in "Book 3" rather than this being launched as "Book 4" just makes it feel different.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Readers have crunched some numbers and under some reasonable assumptions, Jillian isn't going to reach Gobwin Knob before the truce expires unless she leaves behind all but the fastest of her troops.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Update. Don's gonna Don.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

NihilCredo posted:

Readers have crunched some numbers and under some reasonable assumptions, Jillian isn't going to reach Gobwin Knob before the truce expires unless she leaves behind all but the fastest of her troops.

You mean Space Rock? She already took Gobwin Knob, iirc.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aegof posted:

Update. Don's gonna Don.

Well, either we'll get a cutaway of two stabbers having an affair on the 3rd-northmost tower of Jetstone when they're supposed to be on watch or something significant will happen on Tuesday. I'm still hoping for Caesar coups Don, Vinny and Albert sieze Faq, and Jillian is a Barbarian again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Well, either we'll get a cutaway of two stabbers having an affair on the 3rd-northmost tower of Jetstone when they're supposed to be on watch or something significant will happen on Tuesday. I'm still hoping for Caesar coups Don, Vinny and Albert sieze Faq, and Jillian is a Barbarian again.

Then Parson seizes Transylvito, thus completing the game of musical chairs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

remember we're gonna get some Caesar flashbacks, then bunny's perspective, then Benjamin, then it's gonna cut away to Sizemore and Janis in the MK

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, I'm getting more than a little sick of the pacing. Because it's definitely going back to the MK at least before we see Ceasar's answer, and... man, really?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Re the comic's front page: how do you even spend 1000+ dollars in Erfworld store credit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Re the comic's front page: how do you even spend 1000+ dollars in Erfworld store credit.

In December? Gifts for friends and family. Dwagon plushies for the kids. Then some books for those who might like them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Well, that's certainly progress.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ok. I guess that when he really needs to, Balder can actually write compellingly after all. Where has this guy been?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I guess this makes Caesar the overlord of Transylvito then? Poor bastard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Jillian is certainly going to attack TV now. prophecy fulfilled bing bing bong so simple

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
drat. If anyone in this story deserves to see the City of Heroes, it's Bunny.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wow.

So, uh, fallout of this?

- Caesar already wants to work with Parson, but his leader and his lover dying in front of him may give him pause. He might be too upset to get it together in time.
- What the heck is Vinny going to make of this? He was loyal to Don, but completely out of the loop on TV politics.
- Likewise, what's the turnamancer going to do? Her Loyalty was already probably shaky.
- Think Caesar will let the royal heir continue, to honor the Don? As much as they butted heads, he respected Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If you popped an heir that a royal started production on, but the side transitioned out of royalty in the interim, would it still be a royal? Also I see Caesar just disbanding Vanna offhand whenever he gets lucid enough for her to come back to his attention.

Didn't you need multiple thinkamancers to do the string cut kill or was that just for doing it at range?