Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Enfys posted:

I take back all the good things I've ever said about trees. Stupid leaves.

Hands down the BEST two hundred bucks I ever spent

Don't even mess with other poo poo, get these now and marvel at how much better life is after good gutter guards. I've hosed with the cheap stuff, and it ain't worth it, especially as it's not really all that much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I just ran across these infographics and thought I'd post them here since someone asked about home maintenance lists earlier in the thread. Might be worth adding to the OP

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/4seasons/

It's cute they think raking leaves only takes an hour. My husband and I were both working on our leaves for 8 hours this weekend and we didn't even finish.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Hands down the BEST two hundred bucks I ever spent

Don't even mess with other poo poo, get these now and marvel at how much better life is after good gutter guards. I've hosed with the cheap stuff, and it ain't worth it, especially as it's not really all that much cheaper.

More fun alternative: get on the roof with a leaf blower. Hope you have good health insurance!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Both my trees came crashing down in a storm this spring, I don't have to rake now! :woop:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

drat Bananas posted:

Both my trees came crashing down in a storm this spring, I don't have to rake now! :woop:

I'm quietly hoping this happens with the 2 pine trees in our front yard that are on the strip of city property between sidewalk and road. One of them leans just slightly, luckily away from the house. I'm tired or pine needles and pinecones everywhere.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My raking has been far less this year after the goddamned Bradford pear in the back yard split last year and I took a chainsaw to it with prejudice.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I woke up today and found my fridge is no longer working, it's 13 years old so it likely is about time to replace it anyways. Any one have any recommendations for a good set of Kitchen Appliances?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Re: leaf raking. Why is everyone raking their entire yard? I've always read it was way better to just mow them over, mulching them into the grass and improving soil health.

dpspolice
Oct 25, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Re: leaf raking. Why is everyone raking their entire yard? I've always read it was way better to just mow them over, mulching them into the grass and improving soil health.

Our poor dog had a terrible time with fleas he was bringing in from outside. Now that it's so cold out, we'll most likely just mulch the remaining leaves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

love on the cheap posted:

More fun alternative: get on the roof with a leaf blower. Hope you have good health insurance!

I live in a rambler with a very shallow metal roof on it. Leaf blowing my roof (w/ fall protection) is a favorite dry weather activity of mine.

RE: gutter chat:

I have something called Gutter Glove installed on my new gutters and its a mesh that is supposed to catch all of the gritty dirt that the cedar trees drop. I haven't had them a full season yet so i remain unconvinced.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I woke up today and found my fridge is no longer working, it's 13 years old so it likely is about time to replace it anyways. Any one have any recommendations for a good set of Kitchen Appliances?
When the seals broke down on the 1980s fridge at my previous house in 2009, I did research hoping to find some general manufacturer consensus. What I got instead was "They're all poo poo. Expect them to die in 5-10 years".

Maybe that's true about older appliances being better? I was shocked when this house, built in the early 1970s had what had to be the original refrigerator, still running if old and smelly. And using god knows how much power.

In both cases I replaced with a Samsung. The first one had to have its motherboard replaced within 6 months. This one has been good for the past two years.

Bottom freezer 4 life.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Cheesus posted:

When the seals broke down on the 1980s fridge at my previous house in 2009, I did research hoping to find some general manufacturer consensus. What I got instead was "They're all poo poo. Expect them to die in 5-10 years".

Maybe that's true about older appliances being better? I was shocked when this house, built in the early 1970s had what had to be the original refrigerator, still running if old and smelly. And using god knows how much power.

In both cases I replaced with a Samsung. The first one had to have its motherboard replaced within 6 months. This one has been good for the past two years.

Bottom freezer 4 life.

ditto got a samsung with the freezer bottom, had one little hiccup with the water in the door switch about 3 months in but haven't had a problem since.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Cheesus posted:

To some extent, this doesn't really mean that much. 99 out of 100 of that make and model may have failed after the the first x years, but because the other 99 are in a landfill somewhere and not in your kitchen it seems like they really lasted.

That said, our last house came with a burnt orange washer and dryer. Based on the color I knew they were old, but one day I happened to be looking through a book of vintage photos and found one with my exact washer and dryer that was from the early 70s. By the time we replaced them with a newer one that was given to us they were about 40 years old. Still worked fine, but didn't clean nearly as well as a newer model.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Cheesus posted:

One of the thing to keep in mind is that the costs of goods have come WAAAY down, partially because of outsourcing to third world labor, but also partially because the quality of materials and QA/QC on a lot of goods have gone down. For example, based on a quick google search for the cost of a refrigerator in the 1970's was probably between $300 and $700, depending on size, options, etc. In today's dollars, that's $1500-4000 for a fridge. So compare products in similar cost ranges. A $4,000 fridge bought today probably has a good chance of lasting way longer than the $400 sale special from the Depot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

There are definitely limiting returns to doing that; we wind up with a thick mat of leaves and twigs covering (and killing) the grass if we just mow. Eventually they still need to get raked

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

There are definitely limiting returns to doing that; we wind up with a thick mat of leaves and twigs covering (and killing) the grass if we just mow. Eventually they still need to get raked

It sounds like you have a crap mower for mulching leaves. My grass is basically spotless going from full leaf cover after a pass with a mulching mower.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

baquerd posted:

It sounds like you have a crap mower for mulching leaves. My grass is basically spotless going from full leaf cover after a pass with a mulching mower.

That's what happens with our grass too, but eventually we get so many leaf fragments that the leaves (combined with water and cut grass) wind up creating a cover of organic matter after a couple of months. I don't think that getting a better mulcher would really change that, as the issue is the amount of material, not the fineness of the mulch

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

couldcareless posted:

I'm quietly hoping this happens with the 2 pine trees in our front yard that are on the strip of city property between sidewalk and road. One of them leans just slightly, luckily away from the house. I'm tired or pine needles and pinecones everywhere.

I have a big black walnut on my tree lawn, and it's the worst. I kind of hope it gets hit my lightning or something. It's the last tree on the street to get its leaves, and the first to go bare. And all loving summer it drops baseball to golfball sized walnut fruit that I can just see some idiot jogger stepping on and twisting and ankle. I tried to get the city to remove it, but they didn't plant it, and it's healthy, so I can't do poo poo about it. It's awful.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I just bought a house, and it did not come with a washer/dryer. It is set up for an electric dryer, but there is a gas line close by in the same room that could be run over to where the dryer would be.

A few questions: 1) Is it really that much more efficient to have a gas dryer? 2) Should I trust my girlfriends dad who says he has experience installing gas lines to do it? 3) If he does do it, and my house blows up, my insurance probably won't cover it right? 4) If I hire out a licensed guy to do the job to alleviate any of those concerns, aren't I basically just spending the money that I would otherwise save by installing a gas dryer?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Just get an electric dryer you nard

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Elysium posted:

So I just bought a house, and it did not come with a washer/dryer. It is set up for an electric dryer, but there is a gas line close by in the same room that could be run over to where the dryer would be.

A few questions: 1) Is it really that much more efficient to have a gas dryer? 2) Should I trust my girlfriends dad who says he has experience installing gas lines to do it? 3) If he does do it, and my house blows up, my insurance probably won't cover it right? 4) If I hire out a licensed guy to do the job to alleviate any of those concerns, aren't I basically just spending the money that I would otherwise save by installing a gas dryer?

1) Maybe, check your local utility costs.
2) Maybe, check if that installation is required to be permitted.
3) Possibly, see 2.
4) I don't know, how long do you plan to stay at this house?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Back of the envelope is you save 10 cents per load, do 1 load per day, and have the dryer for 15 years. NPV at 10% says you should do it if you can spend less than $250 compared to electric. (Assuming it is as safe as electric)

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Steampunk Hitler posted:

In general, as long as you avoid weird features (Wi-Fi integration! Multi-temp drawers! Control the inside lights with your phone!) or configurations (counter depth!) you tend to get what you pay for. In my recent research I haven't heard of one brand being extremely more or less reliable in the way that, say, dishwashers can be.

I would recommend actually traveling to as many stores as you have access to, though. Sears Outlets are a great place to start, and their very best deals won't appear on their website (sometimes they sell non-Sears products and they don't have a way to code them to appear on it). Lowe's and Home Depot often have returns and scratch and dent stuff on crazy discounts, too. Beware the great deal from the Black Friday ad, as usually those get oversold and you'll have to wait weeks to get it.

Measure the space you have precisely, at multiple heights, and write that down. This is especially important in regards to door hinges. If there's not enough space around your fridge to allow for proper ventilation, you'll just burn it out.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Tricky Ed posted:

Multi-temp drawers!

Our new Samsung fridge has this, and we've found it to be really convenient. Not so much the temp changes, but just the full-width drawer with divider bits separate from the main fridge body. We keep it stocked with canned beverages on one side and deli stuff/cold snacks on the other.

It's also the right depth for thanksgiving sides in baking dishes, which it's currently full of.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Our new house is mostly front/side yard, our back yard is about 80% fenced, we have an idiot dog that would run away if we just left them outside. We also have a young son, but I'm not to worried about keeping him fenced in.

Our options, I figure:
Walk the dog regularly - he's an old man and doesn't do walks well, but still possible.

Buy a lead -Cheap, tripping hazard, will wreck that part of the yard, contains waste to a specific area.

Finish the gaps in the fence. I'll have to figure out how to deal with the area around our carport, but I could probably get away with a double wide gate and a bunch of fencing. probably the most expensive option. limits the dog to the back yard.

Invisible fence. give the dog the run of our property, not too expensive, makes cleaning up waste a treasure hunt.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience about this?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Team_q posted:

Our new house is mostly front/side yard, our back yard is about 80% fenced, we have an idiot dog that would run away if we just left them outside. We also have a young son, but I'm not to worried about keeping him fenced in.

Our options, I figure:
Walk the dog regularly - he's an old man and doesn't do walks well, but still possible.

Buy a lead -Cheap, tripping hazard, will wreck that part of the yard, contains waste to a specific area.

Finish the gaps in the fence. I'll have to figure out how to deal with the area around our carport, but I could probably get away with a double wide gate and a bunch of fencing. probably the most expensive option. limits the dog to the back yard.

Invisible fence. give the dog the run of our property, not too expensive, makes cleaning up waste a treasure hunt.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience about this?

Dogs are very cool and good, give him a yard to get rid of energy in.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Panthrax posted:

I have a big black walnut on my tree lawn, and it's the worst. I kind of hope it gets hit my lightning or something. It's the last tree on the street to get its leaves, and the first to go bare. And all loving summer it drops baseball to golfball sized walnut fruit that I can just see some idiot jogger stepping on and twisting and ankle. I tried to get the city to remove it, but they didn't plant it, and it's healthy, so I can't do poo poo about it. It's awful.

How big and healthy is it? Large (>20" diameter, measured 4'6" from the ground, at least 10 feet before any major branches), high-quality (straight, free of nails/foreign objects/damage) black walnut trees are extremely valuable for lumber. Call a custom/mobile sawmill nearby and talk to them; you might even make some money on the bargain. Be prepared to take pictures and measurements.

Even if it isn't lumber-grade, walnut is pretty good firewood, so a contractor might be willing to do it cheap/free in exchange for keeping the wood to sell later, or you might be able to sell some of it yourself and offset the cost.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

How big and healthy is it? Large (>20" diameter, measured 4'6" from the ground, at least 10 feet before any major branches), high-quality (straight, free of nails/foreign objects/damage) black walnut trees are extremely valuable for lumber. Call a custom/mobile sawmill nearby and talk to them; you might even make some money on the bargain. Be prepared to take pictures and measurements.

Even if it isn't lumber-grade, walnut is pretty good firewood, so a contractor might be willing to do it cheap/free in exchange for keeping the wood to sell later, or you might be able to sell some of it yourself and offset the cost.

He probably doesn't have rights to harvest lumber from the tree lawn.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jealous Cow posted:

He probably doesn't have rights to harvest lumber from the tree lawn.

Oh! I hadn't heard the phrase 'tree lawn' before and misread it, I think. The little strip of not-quite-yard between the curb and the sidewalk? You're probably right, but it's worth calling the city about, if they say they didn't plant it and won't do anything with it themselves.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anyone who uses wallpaper is an rear end in a top hat.

The people who owned this house before me are assholes.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

at some depth of wallpaper layering the correct action is to tear the drywall down and try again

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you just have an attic access hatch instead of a drop down ladder, put in a cheap harbor freight winch right above it, makes getting the bigger stuff swapped out when seasons change a hell of a lot easier. A $99 winch and about $20 worth of metal/bolts from the hardware store has saved me a lot of effort.

gregday
May 23, 2003

devmd01 posted:

If you just have an attic access hatch instead of a drop down ladder, put in a cheap harbor freight winch right above it, makes getting the bigger stuff swapped out when seasons change a hell of a lot easier. A $99 winch and about $20 worth of metal/bolts from the hardware store has saved me a lot of effort.

Oh yeah. I just installed a retractable extension cord in my garage and it's already been tremendously useful. It makes me want to install an air compressor and ceiling mounted hose even though I would have very limited use for it. Overhead mounted stuff is just fun.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AC maintenance guy told me today that our R22 AC will probably die in 5-10 years, but maybe sooner, and that replacing it is probably $15k in today's dollars because of the additional work involved. Didn't seem like he was trying to sell us anything, just wanted us to be aware

Time to adjust those long term maintenance numbers!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

QuarkJets posted:

AC maintenance guy told me today that our R22 AC will probably die in 5-10 years, but maybe sooner, and that replacing it is probably $15k in today's dollars because of the additional work involved. Didn't seem like he was trying to sell us anything, just wanted us to be aware

Time to adjust those long term maintenance numbers!

How big is your house and how far south of the Mason-Dixon do you live?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

How big is your house and how far south of the Mason-Dixon do you live?

1500 sqft and around 20 degrees south of that (and a whole lot west)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just wanted to crosspost this from the home security thread:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/cyber-monday-specials/hd-security-camera-system-with-nvr-2-ptz-cameras-and-2-bullets/HDIP422Z-1-p

It's a pretty great deal for a complete security camera system with four 1080p outdoor ip cameras, two of which are miniature point to zoom dome cameras. The nvr is accessible through an app as well, and everything is poe so the cameras transmit data and receive power through a single ethernet cable. The deal is good through today only though.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just wanted to crosspost this from the home security thread:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/cyber-monday-specials/hd-security-camera-system-with-nvr-2-ptz-cameras-and-2-bullets/HDIP422Z-1-p

It's a pretty great deal for a complete security camera system with four 1080p outdoor ip cameras, two of which are miniature point to zoom dome cameras. The nvr is accessible through an app as well, and everything is poe so the cameras transmit data and receive power through a single ethernet cable. The deal is good through today only though.

Is this thing any good? I'm strongly considering it but can't find much in the way of reviews.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Is this thing any good? I'm strongly considering it but can't find much in the way of reviews.

For the price, yup, it's excellent, especially if you're looking for ptz cameras. The price of the whole unit is less than what most ptz dome cameras retail for alone (eg Hikvision or Trendnet. Plus the dome cameras are really loving tiny, 2" x 5" so they're really inobtrusive, and they're even vandal proof/ip66 rated. I was contemplating buying the next step up resolution of the dome cameras alone before this deal showed up, and a single one of those was the same price as this whole package.

Downside is that the the NVR is only 4 channel, but it's POE, and a switch can expand it up to 8 channels if you wanted to add cameras. Other downside is that while it's still great 1080p resolution, Lorex has newer camera systems with 2k (and soon 4k) resolution, which is just crazy. And the night vision is only 60 foot, whereas some of their other systems are 130 foot with color night vision (assuming some ambient lighting). But if you're just looking to get started with something good for really cheap, and add something to your house for peace of mind and simple setup with good remote access, this is hands down what I would start with. If you want to expand down the line, POE IP cameras are the way to go, and you can either just buy a larger NVR and reuse the cameras, or set up your own NVR software on a computer (though this is a simpler, smaller footprint with lower power consumption). What's great is that these cameras are ONVIF open standards compliant, so they're basically compatible with everything--you're not locked in to their ecosystem if you want to switch NVR's and reuse the cameras.

I had been looking at other systems such as Unifi, since I'm already running their controller with my access points and router, but their NVR alone is the same price as this one (sans cameras), and you still need either poe injectors/a switch to power the cameras and transmit data, and their best camera offerings are the same resolution as the units in this kit.

Personally, I wanted to get away from my old Kguard coax setup with a dvr that I had set up a private vpn to remote into. IP cameras are just so much simpler, and cabling is much less of a headache, since cat5e/6 is much cheaper and easier to run and crimp your own custom lengths. I've been waiting awhile to find something really good, and I'd say Flir/Lorex have hands down the best offerings I've seen. Other popular consumer stuff like dropcam is alright, but you still need wiring to provide power, and man are they expensive. Plus I wouldn't count on the reliability of wifi cameras, since the unlicensed 2.4/5Ghz spectrum is susceptible to interference and is really crowded as is. Plus most people's home wifi really isn't all that great and one or two of those kinds of cameras would consume most of the available bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I bought it. Will post some kind of review after I install and use it during break.