Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was one of the more baffling demos I've seen, too. You couldn't change your party or edit your Gambits or equipment so it was literally an exercise in walking the characters around while they did all the fighting for you.

e: Like, a version of that demo where you got to pick jobs for the characters and then create fitting gambits would at least make sense there, but nope, pure vertical slice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

It was one of the more baffling demos I've seen, too. You couldn't change your party or edit your Gambits or equipment so it was literally an exercise in walking the characters around while they did all the fighting for you.

e: Like, a version of that demo where you got to pick jobs for the characters and then create fitting gambits would at least make sense there, but nope, pure vertical slice.

So an accurate representation of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

It would not surprise me if they somehow lost the masters for the original performances, and are stuck using what they do have.

Yeah, I would basically expect that what they have is that and there's no real way to go back and adjust it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

It would not surprise me if they somehow lost the masters for the original performances, and are stuck using what they do have.

I mean the description of the enhancements says "Improved audio" which is what everyone loving thinks about FFXII, its the compressed lovely audio. Like they say they are using "the original recordings" but it would be hilarious if they dont have them and they just have the compressed ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So an accurate representation of the game

see I edited that to specifically try to head off that lovely joke but you went for it anyway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japanese companies keeping their assets is a relatively new thing. The only reason why we have FF9 on PC is because they decided to bite the bullet and re-do all the missing assets.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm ready for Final fantasy Ten Venom

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tae posted:

Japanese companies keeping their assets is a relatively new thing. The only reason why we have FF9 on PC is because they decided to bite the bullet and re-do all the missing assets.

I think it was Okami where they had almost none of the original assets when they re-did it for the Wii, and they just had to redo it entirely from what they could pull from the PS2 disc? That's why it's missing things like the original credits sequence and one of the postprocessing overlays.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Kingdom Hearts 1.5 version iirc is them reverse engineering the actual game because they didn't have original assets. And the FFX re-releases had to use a third-party modder's tool to extract the assets.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I just realized this is coming out next week, which begs the question: Where to preorder? I assume different places have different things?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Killsion posted:

So I just realized this is coming out next week, which begs the question: Where to preorder? I assume different places have different things?

Well you could say that...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hey, I'm watching Kingsglaive, and I have a question:

Where did that huge octopus come from and why?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

The empire likes to use monster summons as shock troopers, like what they did with that WEAPON-looking thing in the first big battle. Ultros was one of the summons and would have presumably been air-dropped into the city during their raid.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Soul Glo posted:

Oxxidation gave the in-universe answer, but it's a recurring boss from FF6 that's had a cameo in a few of the games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Oh, ok. I heard them mention the demon WEAPON thing, but that other one just seemingly came out of nowhere like a Star Wars monster or something.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There is no end to this PR campaign. They must've sunk so much money into it...

http://kotaku.com/amazon-japan-creates-a-final-fantasy-xv-double-take-1789339064

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Schwartzcough posted:

There is no end to this PR campaign. They must've sunk so much money into it...

http://kotaku.com/amazon-japan-creates-a-final-fantasy-xv-double-take-1789339064

Man, this is really good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

15 is pretty much the last gasp for FF games and big budget JRPG's in general so I'm not surprised they're going all out.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly after 10 FF's budget seems to have been almost a problem for it. LIke it feels sometimes like they kinda have been mystified about what to do with all the money they pour into it, while Atlus and the Tales guys have been able to do better with less money.

That said as long as XV's story is somewhat better paced and less utter gibberish than 13's I'll be happy.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is this lovely game out yet I want to play it already drat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My order is currently 'processing' so maybe

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Gorelab posted:

Honestly after 10 FF's budget seems to have been almost a problem for it. LIke it feels sometimes like they kinda have been mystified about what to do with all the money they pour into it, while Atlus and the Tales guys have been able to do better with less money.

That said as long as XV's story is somewhat better paced and less utter gibberish than 13's I'll be happy.

The pacing is an issue, because for the first half of the game the story takes a back seat to exploring the world.

That said, for me personally, the relatively minimalist approach they take to things for the front half is waaaaaaay better than XIII. XIII was the opposite, where they just kept dumping nonsensical bullshit on you and it never made any sense. Here, the basic framework of the story is pretty simple, and you fill it in as you run around and your bros talk to each other, etc.

I think people will be upset that it's not the hyper-directed and focused narrative that other games have had, but it works much better than anything they did in the XIII series, that's for sure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno I played 13 recently and it probably has the simplest plot of the series, outside of the NES games obvs. Well, maybe not simplest but there are no twists or other shoes dropping.
It starts out as 'robo gods want to sacrifice all of humanity to somehow bring back the true god and try and force the main characters to help them' and it pretty much stays that way through the whole thing.
Pulse managed to defy my expectations because that was when it looked like they would find other stuff going on but then it's like 'nope, no one here and no magic solutions, better go back and face the music'.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've finally done it. I've

bought a PS4.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I've been trying to hunt down a sale or deal on this, X-Bone had it available for 30ish, any idea if anything similar is coming up for PS4?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FFXV won't be on sale unless it's by accident. $60 is the best you're going to do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno I played 13 recently and it probably has the simplest plot of the series, outside of the NES games obvs. Well, maybe not simplest but there are no twists or other shoes dropping.
It starts out as 'robo gods want to sacrifice all of humanity to somehow bring back the true god and try and force the main characters to help them' and it pretty much stays that way through the whole thing.
Pulse managed to defy my expectations because that was when it looked like they would find other stuff going on but then it's like 'nope, no one here and no magic solutions, better go back and face the music'.

FF13 is a simple story, told very badly.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I said come in! posted:

FFXV won't be on sale unless it's by accident. $60 is the best you're going to do.

you're a liar, just found it for $45.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Vitamin P posted:

Is this lovely game out yet I want to play it already drat

Tuesday. Although probably every store already has their copies because the one I work for does but you know. Sticking to that Tuesday release date is super important.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Digital version on PSN will be available at 9pm pacific on Monday.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

I said come in! posted:

Unless you have Amazon Prime. Then it's 48.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game could do literally everything else wrong and it would still deserve praise just for the insane creature design. Tons of monster variety (at least 15h in), and they're all super detailed and well animated.

They also love to spring high level enemies at you, and it's not just at night anymore. My favorite part about this is that they make pretty good use of scale, so when you run into something nasty it also tends to be very big, which doubles the "oh poo poo" factor.

A lot of people are comparing this to MGS V, and I kind of agree - drops a lot of storytelling balls, but manages to reinvent the core game under it in a meaningful way that makes the series relevant again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

A lot of people are comparing this to MGS V, and I kind of agree

Well, that's damning.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
VanillaGorilla as you seem to have the game what is the dress up barbie like? If it's just those four outfits to dress my yaois in I'm going to throw a brexit

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Tons of monster variety (at least 15h in), and they're all super detailed and well animated.

Safe to say that they really limited what they showed publically, in demos and trailers? Because WOO YEAH if so.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I watched Kingsglaive while very high and that thing was one of the worst video game related movies I've ever seen.

Also why did they make it open world, open world games suck balls

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

VanillaGorilla as you seem to have the game what is the dress up barbie like? If it's just those four outfits to dress my yaois in I'm going to throw a brexit

Yeah, I've had it since Wednesday. I haven't found new outfits yet - that said, it's definitely a thing. Outfits are one of the gear slots on each of the characters (along with weapons - 4 slots for Noctis, 2 for everybody else - and up to 3 accessories). That said, keep in mind I'm still very early in the game - 15h in, and I'm still in Chapter 3 (I think there are like 15, total?). There's a ton of side content to do, ranging from hunts, to MMO quests, to more involved side quests. Plus poo poo like fishing. Like, I literally just unlocked the portion of the Ascension system that allows me to upgrade my Armager abilities.

I do wish there was more to equipment in the game. Weapons do have poo poo like elemental effects, etc., but most of the weapon upgrades I've found so far come from shops or upgrades through Cid, and not from finding them in the field. I hate it when RPGs don't use armor as an upgrade path - really opens up the number of paths you have for rewarding the player through finding cool poo poo. Obviously, from my hour count, I've done a lot of exploring - and I don't feel unrewarded, but your rewards tend to be more experiential (finding a new dungeon, or side activity, which will award you AP and EXP) rather than getting cool new stuff to use.

And yeah, definitely more variety in enemies than anything they showed pre-release. Maybe it all starts to repeat as you get further in, but so far every new area has had some interesting new poo poo in it.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 25, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

VanillaGorilla posted:

This game could do literally everything else wrong and it would still deserve praise just for the insane creature design. Tons of monster variety (at least 15h in), and they're all super detailed and well animated.

They also love to spring high level enemies at you, and it's not just at night anymore. My favorite part about this is that they make pretty good use of scale, so when you run into something nasty it also tends to be very big, which doubles the "oh poo poo" factor.

A lot of people are comparing this to MGS V, and I kind of agree - drops a lot of storytelling balls, but manages to reinvent the core game under it in a meaningful way that makes the series relevant again.

Can you talk more about what you dislike about the story telling?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Can you talk more about what you dislike about the story telling?

It's very minimal so far, and much of the big stuff happening in the world is happening off-screen. This might be because I'm still in the early game - apparently people say once you get through the mid-point it becomes much more linear and story focused. But right now it's mostly about exploring the world. More detail - spoilers about the story setup and first few chapters:

So the first chapter of the game takes place before Kingsglaive, when Noctis is off to his wedding. The events of Kingsglaive happen in the background, and you find out literally by reading about it in the newspaper. You then have to meet up with some survivors, who start you on your journey to gather up the power you'll need as the new king to re-take Insomnia. That story framing pretty much sets up chapters 3 - X (I'm still on 3), in which you're running around to find the King's Arms, which are hidden throughout the world, and presumably to gain the allegiance of the 6 gods (summons), who have been referred to, although I haven't explicitly been told to do that yet. In this portion of the game, though, most of the narrative drive is coming through your conversations with people ABOUT what is happening in the background, rather than you taking part in it directly .

That said, the characters are actually pretty alright - particularly the primary 4, and it's actually enjoyable to hear them interact, trash talk during battle, etc.. I have a pretty low tolerance for anime, and there have only been like 1-2 characters that I've found annoying or off-putting (looking at you, Cindy).

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm just hoping it isn't like Xenoblade X, where you can go a few dozen hours between any story stuff happening, and then when it does it's forgettable garbage

• Locked thread