Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know the language well enough to be sure but that sounds right. I learned standard German and Swiss German is loving nightmarish and incomprehensible, which is similar to how Mandarin speakers I know talk about Sichuanhua. Every native Mandarin speaker or native Cantonese then learned Mandarin speaker that I know finds Sichuanhua impossible. As someone who speaks very bad Mandarin, I also cannot understand a word of Sichuanhua. I've been in situations where there's a Sichuan-only speaker and a Mandarin-only speaker and someone has to translate between them. However it's not an entirely different language the way Cantonese and Mandarin are.

Ok, so more like German vs. Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was eating dinner with friends earlier. When I am with friends, I turn off the vibration and sound on my phone so messages don't bother us. I checked my phone and I had almost 30 messages from one person, so I opened it and...

Wumao girl was having herself quite a heart-to-heart. Keep in mind we have never met and only talked for nearly a week. I like the parts about my height (I never told her how tall I am) and that I am not rich (I never told her how much I make, etc.). Here are the choice parts.

Chinese girls :allears:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Tonight I also got the update about that face massage tool (not Wumao girl):

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

lmao. "Still dirty"? Found poo poo on the face massager when she showed it around at work? I can't even....

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

lmao. "Still dirty"? Found poo poo on the face massager when she showed it around at work? I can't even....

Littur Xi, this facials massagur smell Fujian Special Bean Paste?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

I was eating dinner with friends earlier. When I am with friends, I turn off the vibration and sound on my phone so messages don't bother us. I checked my phone and I had almost 30 messages from one person, so I opened it and...

wait until she starts singing you love ballads over wechat :allears:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
It's ok guys, it may be cold out, but your local Chinatown has you covered.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

It was in her v-j, not her b-hole, for about 5 seconds. I think she just wanted to complain about me. It was probably face lotion.

big time bisexual posted:

wait until she starts singing you love ballads over wechat :allears:
Is this before or after I imprison her?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Haier, some might say that you're the hero China deserves, but I think that you're the hero that we need.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Haier do you not know Chinese? I have met a few people who spent a long time in foreign countries but never learned the language, seems a bit rude to me. If you're going to spend time in another country make an effort to learn the people's language!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shayu posted:

Haier do you not know Chinese? I have met a few people who spent a long time in foreign countries but never learned the language, seems a bit rude to me. If you're going to spend time in another country make an effort to learn the people's language!

HHHAAAALLLLOOO!

How am I doing?

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

ocrumsprug posted:

HHHAAAALLLLOOO!

How am I doing?

Your German coming along nicely!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Shayu posted:

Well, if it's about being rude, he's just in the right place!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shayu posted:

ocrumsprug posted:

HHHAAAALLLLOOO!

JaucheCharly posted:

y'all hit that one out of the park lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree learning nothing would be rude but not learning it well is fine. When you know for sure you're not staying in the long term and you have no interest in learning it for fun, what's the point? Chinese is a difficult language for English speakers, it's a massive investment of time for very little return (and zero if you're not going to stay in China). Learn the basics to get around and move on.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

I agree learning nothing would be rude but not learning it well is fine. When you know for sure you're not staying in the long term and you have no interest in learning it for fun, what's the point? Chinese is a difficult language for English speakers, it's a massive investment of time for very little return (and zero if you're not going to stay in China). Learn the basics to get around and move on.

I met a tremendous number of long-term expats in Korea, wife, kids, etc., who spoke not a loving word. One guy could only count to three because that was the most number of beers he would order at once.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I met very few like that since I didn't live in Seoul. Learning no Korean in my part of the country meant you couldn't do anything.

I did once meet someone who lived in Seoul for three years and hadn't even learned to read. Korean, if anyone doesn't know, uses an alphabet. It is not difficult in any way, I learned it on the 14 hour plane ride over. Just reading is useful since Korean uses a ton of English loanwords, there's a surprising amount you can understand without learning any of the actual language beyond the alphabet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
korean is probably the easiest non latin alphabet to read. The only excuse is dumb and lazy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Being illiterate in China is one thing, we're talking a good year of daily study and drilling to get basically literate, even with the Heisig mnemonic method to speed it up. You are totally right that Korea is either stupidity or enormous laziness. There is no excuse.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Being illiterate in China is one thing, we're talking a good year of daily study and drilling to get basically literate, even with the Heisig mnemonic method to speed it up. You are totally right that Korea is either stupidity or enormous laziness. There is no excuse.

the excuses are "my wife does all that for me" and "I don't need to know korean in itaewon"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

People are a lot less motivated to learn Korean. I lived there four years and my Korean is garbage, but usually I was the designated translator since my garbage was better than most of my expat friends. I only ever met a couple people who spoke it well. In Chengdu I feel like the only idiot who doesn't speak Chinese worth a drat, almost everyone I know is at least passable in Mandarin and the majority are semi to fully fluent. I even know a few people fluent in both Mandarin and Sichuanhua.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Shayu posted:

LOL, no. I always get some motivation to try to learn the few months before I come back, but then I get here and I'm like "WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET MYSELF MORE NESTLED INTO THIS COUNTRY??????????????????" I am not here for long enough that it matters and I rarely have a problem that Baidu translation can't fix. My listening is decent for the all the vocabulary I studied, my speaking is garbage, and I can read like 200 characters, mostly outdoor signs and simple sentences.
I found the Anki app with the most popular sets to be the most helpful in picking up vocabulary and learning how remember/read characters. At this point in my China adventure, I don't need much. Learning Mandarin would give me the huge edge at the supermarket or something. I seriously have no need for it in daily life and my job doesn't need any either. I don't even live in an expat bubble or anything, I just really don't need it and I am glad I don't need to waste time learning something that is utterly useless the second I leave this place.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
My boss was just telling about the prison system here. Since scapegoating and blame game is so normal, if you go in and just admit your guilt and save face you get a lesser sentence for many crimes than if you try to argue innocence and that it was your boss who ran off with the money and not you. LMAO.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

My boss was just telling about the prison system here. Since scapegoating and blame game is so normal, if you go in and just admit your guilt and save face you get a lesser sentence for many crimes than if you try to argue innocence and that it was your boss who ran off with the money and not you. LMAO.

is that her plan for you?

also will you and your boss take the plunge so to speak?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dicky mouse posted:

also will you and your boss take the plunge so to speak?
Gross. No. She's my legit friend and her husband is really cool and I see him daily. Her daughter comes by after school all the time and I am her cool white uncle. They're practically family.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
haier does not plunge where he eats

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

haier does not plunge where he eats

I thought his willingness to do that particular move was one thing that set him apart from Chinese men?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

Gross. No. She's my legit friend and her husband is really cool and I see him daily. Her daughter comes by after school all the time and I am her cool white uncle. They're practically family.

We are goons

our capacity for friendship, love, and even dealing with stair is limited.

Still good on you, I hope some day you have a cool girl friend

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Haier posted:

Seen in a claw game type thing outside a Korean restaurant yesterday:

It doesn't look like it's exactly the same thing so I guess there's an entire cock 'n' balls beauty gizmo industry

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I spent 4 hours a week in classes when I first got here and with my new job I basically stopped. My listening skills are pretty good but my speaking has really atrophied. Yue lai Yue bu hao.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pham Nuwen posted:

I thought his willingness to do that particular move was one thing that set him apart from Chinese men?

A marked difference is the lack of a lit cigarette in the corner of his mouth while he's frantically thrusting.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

sinking belle posted:

Seen in a claw game type thing outside a Korean restaurant yesterday:

It doesn't look like it's exactly the same thing so I guess there's an entire cock 'n' balls beauty gizmo industry
Maybe it goes with the idea that everything that is even remotely phallic promotes energy and vitality. As with much of Asian physical therapy, the advertised effect that the balls spin on your face and generate electrical currents that make you younger and with less wrinkles is totally a joke. I think if you're going to buy one, it probably makes sense to get the knock-offs and not blow $100 on a "real" energy-making space dick.

----
My inner 12-year-old was having quite a laugh at these back-to-back profiles.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
KaKa has the Perfect Inverse Almond going on. You're a fool to turn her down.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Ceciltron posted:

KaKa has the Perfect Inverse Almond going on. You're a fool to turn her down.
Before, all the fake profiles were aged 18-20. Now they are about 18-25. I am genuinely surprised if I match with someone under 25 who is not fake. I report every single fake I match with, but I usually swipe left on everyone 22 and under. I swiped right on almond fake girl though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

Maybe it goes with the idea that everything that is even remotely phallic promotes energy and vitality. As with much of Asian physical therapy, the advertised effect that the balls spin on your face and generate electrical currents that make you younger and with less wrinkles is totally a joke. I think if you're going to buy one, it probably makes sense to get the knock-offs and not blow $100 on a "real" energy-making space dick.

The reason that they all look like dicks with balls is that you need a round object to apply pressure to the deeper tissue and muscles, but having only one ball on the device makes it awkward to hold against your face/back/shoulders/legs with any force as it will want to twist out of your hand. Having the two balls on it stops that from happening, plus there is a pinching action, as moving it along your skin will squeeze and stretch the skin, resulting in a pleasant feeling.*

Also most of them have the power button/settings on the handle, which would result in them being inserted into an orifice (if you chose to use it for that) and would make operating it difficult. My wife and I saw about 6 of them (all different brands/models) lined up in a boutique in Korea, and we assumed they were vibrators until taking a closer look.

*the owner even had one of those little LCD screens that come with certain products to advertise how they work, and the video on it was demonstrating all these features of one of the dick & ball-shaped massagers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is kaka someone's 6 year old who got ahold of the phone?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

The reason that they all look like dicks with balls is that you need a round object to apply pressure to the deeper tissue and muscles, but having only one ball on the device makes it awkward to hold against your face/back/shoulders/legs with any force as it will want to twist out of your hand. Having the two balls on it stops that from happening, plus there is a pinching action, as moving it along your skin will squeeze and stretch the skin, resulting in a pleasant feeling.*

Also most of them have the power button/settings on the handle, which would result in them being inserted into an orifice (if you chose to use it for that) and would make operating it difficult. My wife and I saw about 6 of them (all different brands/models) lined up in a boutique in Korea, and we assumed they were vibrators until taking a closer look.

*the owner even had one of those little LCD screens that come with certain products to advertise how they work, and the video on it was demonstrating all these features of one of the dick & ball-shaped massagers.

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ceciltron posted:

Por que no los dos?

Like I said, the on/off switches on a lot of them are located on the handle, and would likely not feel good on the inside of a vagina.

I do not have a vagina, so I cannot comment.

• Locked thread