Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of the Verizon Pixel deal, does anyone know what time it'll be available to order online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

One thing I've noticed about the Pixel is when you turn off battery saving mode (if you have it on for some time) it begins to start doing a whole bunch of background stuff and can actually lock things up for a second or two.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Verizon deal is live now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hooah posted:

Speaking of the Verizon Pixel deal, does anyone know what time it'll be available to order online?

Has been all day. The Pixel xl is $20 a month, which is just enough for me to not bite.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bull3964 posted:

LG is apparently not longer replacing 5x's affected by the bootloop issue, they are refunding money.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-offering-full-refunds-to-Nexus-5X-owners-affected-by-a-particular-hardware-malfunction_id88231

They apparently can't repair and refurbish the ones that broke due to part availability, do with stock running low they are just going to issue refunds.

Supposedly, they haven't even made any phones in the past year - even the most recent Fi orders had manufacture dates of late 2015.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wacky Delly posted:

Has been all day. The Pixel xl is $20 a month, which is just enough for me to not bite.

Well poo poo. I wish I had known that! At least they have fast shipping.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is there something wrong with the Nexus 6P? I've been waiting for a sale on those but someone on the last page called it crap?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Peep Jerky posted:

Does anyone have an HTC 10? I'm wondering what complaints people have for that phone. Here's the decision in trying to make: I can either get the Pixel and Google-fi which would probably save me money over my Sprint plan, or get the cheaper HTC 10, which I like based on looks and the reviews saying it has great audio quality, but keep the more expensive plan. I know the answer is probably get a Pixel, but I don't use my phone for that much other than listening to music, so the headphone amp on the HTC appeals to me, and the price of the Pixel doesn't.

I had my hands on one for about 6 months. Rock solid phone, HTC seems to be supporting it rather well, and while it is similar to a Pixel in how it seems sort of boring, The camera, performance, and especially the Audio out of the headphone port is absolutely fantastic.

If you are looking for something with a headphone port and the best audio in a phone currently (outside of a G5 and the addon DAC thing) it is hands down the best.

Everything else is great about it, and if you get one, I can ship you a Spigen Hybrid Clear case like the one I linked to for my 6P a few post back, for the cost of shipping alone. Keeps the look, and greatly improves the grip.

Also the 6P had some battery issues that I have a hunch is part of those that Rooted their phone with SuperSU, and a few changes happening with the SR1 version mixed with the 7.0 update broke the phone around when it hit 15%. So far since I got the latest it has been fine, and if you don't plan to root or anything, just get on the Beta Preview of 7.1 and enjoy a still great phone.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm currently typing this on the htc 10 and it's my favorite phone by far. My previous phone was a galaxy s6 which was just plain unstable(I resorted to daily reboots). I don't think I've ever had a phone this stable. The only time I reset the phone is to update the system. The performance is excellent too. I played around with the pixel at the Verizon store and I can't tell a difference. My pixel is arriving next week so I'll be able to compare it some more.

The headphone audio performance is top notch, the BEST I've ever heard. But I have very limited point of reference. The most expensive headphone I have is the ath-m40x and I have never owned an amp before.

In terms of the speakers, it's great but not as good as the one in the m7.

The two quibbles that I have both relate to the camera. First the autofocus is inconsistently slow. Sometimes it'll catch a great moment, sometimes miss completely. Second the camera lens is a fingerprint magnet. In my first few months I was mildly disappointed by the image quality. But then after cleaning the lens regularly I'm consistently blown away by how good the photos are. But you HAVE to clean it otherwise your photos will look blurry with lens flare.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

WhyteRyce posted:

I just got back from a week long trip to Disney Land where I wanted to chuck my 6p at a wall.

I'm still eyeing a used 6P, any reason you were hating it or was it just fatigue from an old device vs. the new hotness?

Edit: Had this reply open for loving ever and actually read replies since then.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Also for that super cheap Pixel Slick deal at Best Buy, does anyone with more knowledge / experience with cell phone providers know if that could possibly backfire and totally gently caress you over? Or is paying off the phone and then dipping out of the plan somehow okay with the DPP?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I'm still eyeing a used 6P, any reason you were hating it or was it just fatigue from an old device vs. the new hotness?

My guess is that it's the fact that the camera is slow.

It takes great pictures, but it's just slow to capture them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Any goons with the Xperia X?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Peep Jerky posted:

Does anyone have an HTC 10? I'm wondering what complaints people have for that phone. Here's the decision in trying to make: I can either get the Pixel and Google-fi which would probably save me money over my Sprint plan, or get the cheaper HTC 10, which I like based on looks and the reviews saying it has great audio quality, but keep the more expensive plan. I know the answer is probably get a Pixel, but I don't use my phone for that much other than listening to music, so the headphone amp on the HTC appeals to me, and the price of the Pixel doesn't.

I've got one and I have no particular complaints. Compared to my old One M8, I miss the stereo speakers, but I like the improved performance and QC 3.0. Their decision to move the Ten's headphone jack to the top irritates me but only mildly. Camera is fine but then I use my DSLR when I actually care about getting good photos, so I haven't really tried to see what the Ten's camera can do.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm not as impressed with the battery life as I thought I would be. I'm a pretty heavy user so I was looking forward to having something better than I did. It's better than a 2 year old nexus 6 but not as amazing as advertised

I found that I'm much happier about my phone if I don't sperg out about the battery usage all day. Just use it... if it needs a charge plug it in.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

One thing I find super annoying and is probably a Verizon thing and not normally in Android is the warning about shutting off mobile data. Is there any way to disable it? Its just one extra click, but it would be super if it just went away.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 26, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So here's a weird issue that I'm having trouble googling for. I took the Live Case off of my Pixel last night to show the phone to my uncle, and ever since I put the case back on, the NFC button action goes of whenever I unlock the phone. If I take the case off, it stops, but it happens if I use the fingerprint or unlock code. I also can't "press" the NFC button the usual way, it only goes off on unlock.

I assume that somehow in the process of removing/replacing the case I squashed the NFC wiring or it's being pressed up against the phone too hard now? What can I do about it?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Why is project fi ringing so insanely delayed on my phone (5X) that it routinely misses calls without a single ring, or rings for only a second before going to voicemail?

Is this likely to ever improve or is project fi fundamentally flawed in its protocol or whatever the gently caress?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

peepsalot posted:

Why is project fi ringing so insanely delayed on my phone (5X) that it routinely misses calls without a single ring, or rings for only a second before going to voicemail?

Is this likely to ever improve or is project fi fundamentally flawed in its protocol or whatever the gently caress?

That's my experience on Sprint-- so maybe it's not so much Fi as it is that Sprint happens to be the service provider at those times..

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

effika posted:

That's my experience on Sprint-- so maybe it's not so much Fi as it is that Sprint happens to be the service provider at those times..

The infuriating thing is that gmail hangouts (before i disabled it) would recognize the call from my laptop or desktop 5-10s before the phone itself (which is connected on the same WiFi). I don't actually want to ever answer my phone through the gmail interface though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Moto G's on sale on Amazon.
Regular 16GB G is $130 with Prime ads, and ad-free G4 Plus 64GB is $230 (a good price for a good phone).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

The lag/delay between opening the camera and being able to actually take a photo was infuriating. I basically missed a bunch of shots and just relied on my wife's Moto G4 to actually take photos. Then the HDR processing would also take more time than it used to when I first got the phone and it was "snappy". I basically had to leave the camera viewfinder on a lot of the time in order to get shots, which led to the photo getting super hot and throttling, making the responsiveness and HDR processing time even worse.

The second problem was battery life. I was getting sub 90 minutes-2 hours of SOT which is poo poo when you are gone most of the day. I already factory reset and I don't use the Facebook app (use the mobile webpage, which is actually really annoying for doing anything other than just checking posts). Apparently 7.1 fixes this problem for a lot of 6p beta users but the Nexus line has already turned to an afterthought for Google and between my $325 T-Mobile credit and selling it for another $300, why bother

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there something wrong with the Nexus 6P? I've been waiting for a sale on those but someone on the last page called it crap?

No they're pretty good. It does occasionally lag, which is annoying when it happens (it's usually when I want a quick response from it! Indeed sometimes that means the camera) but not as often as the 5X, which was an absolute piece of poo poo that I couldn't wait to get rid of.

My main complaint is, as with the Pixel, the design decision of putting the fingerprint reader on the back.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Did anyone else ever have an issue with the S6 Edge where the camera would rumble for about 5-10 seconds when you activate it? It made snapping any quick pictures impossible.

I have a pixel now I was just wondering if anyone ever had that issue or it was just a one off thing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

My main complaint is, as with the Pixel, the design decision of putting the fingerprint reader on the back.

The back is the best place for the fingerprint sensor imo, I can't stand the front ones like on Samsungs

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

WhyteRyce posted:

The second problem was battery life. I was getting sub 90 minutes-2 hours of SOT which is poo poo when you are gone most of the day. I already factory reset and I don't use the Facebook app (use the mobile webpage, which is actually really annoying for doing anything other than just checking posts). Apparently 7.1 fixes this problem for a lot of 6p beta users but the Nexus line has already turned to an afterthought for Google and between my $325 T-Mobile credit and selling it for another $300, why bother
Speaking of the t mobile credit, it's not on my latest bill. Anyone know how long it takes to start getting applied?

CLAM DOWN posted:

The back is the best place for the fingerprint sensor imo, I can't stand the front ones like on Samsungs
I think they should do one in front and one in back, but with the nexus/pixel phones not having a front button there really isn't space on the front for one.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 26, 2016

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
In any way am I loving myself over by buying a Z5 Compact?

I'm talking about firmware and the phone being usable for two years for any reason I might not have thought of.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

effika posted:

I just spent about 45 minutes in project Fi support chat, and at the end they blamed Hangouts and told me to switch off "Messaging" under Hangouts settings. I fail to see why that would possibly affect the responsiveness of a ringer for phone calls, but I guess I have to wait and see if the issue shows up again.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of the t mobile credit, it's not on my latest bill. Anyone know how long it takes to start getting applied?

I think they should do one in front and one in back, but with the nexus/pixel phones not having a front button there really isn't space on the front for one.

The page said 1-2 billing cycles

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

peepsalot posted:

I just spent about 45 minutes in project Fi support chat, and at the end they blamed Hangouts and told me to switch off "Messaging" under Hangouts settings. I fail to see why that would possibly affect the responsiveness of a ringer for phone calls, but I guess I have to wait and see if the issue shows up again.

I've had Hangouts switched off since day one and still get calls that ring only once (and occasionally never). I've never really looked into a cause.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Any goon recommendations for screen protector/case brands? I got a Pixel (not the XL), and I see a lot of them don't even try to handle the curved edge of the screen?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife just got a Pixel and I'm sitting here like "I hope this Nexus 5x doesn't break again."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You missed your chance at the $240 Verizon pixel deal. I traded in my 5x for $50 (just enough to cover the taxes) and got a $200 gift card that will take 2 months to get to me :wtc:. All said, switching from the 5x to the Pixel cost me $40.

I also don't know what their game is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

jokes posted:

Any goon recommendations for screen protector/case brands? I got a Pixel (not the XL), and I see a lot of them don't even try to handle the curved edge of the screen?

Yootech has a revised version which apparently takes it into account. I'm using it on my XL and one of the sides has bubbling all on the right side but perhaps after another day and some more pushing it'll come up

I absolutely love my Spigen case

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 26, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jokes posted:

You missed your chance at the $240 Verizon pixel deal. I traded in my 5x for $50 (just enough to cover the taxes) and got a $200 gift card that will take 2 months to get to me :wtc:. All said, switching from the 5x to the Pixel cost me $40.

I also don't know what their game is.

That's what she got. I'm on TMobile, I'm not playing Verizon's crazy billing games. They couldn't figure out how to tell me the straight cost of the phone. She paid $247 at the store and the monthly bill went down $5 a month. I don't understand all of the line items, it's very complicated, and I've worked in corporate accounting for years.

Also they have her some kind of free Ellipsis 10 tablet. Seems functional.

If you're wondering why my wife and I aren't on the same plan, it's because she's a grown married adult with a child and her parents still have her on their family plan. I'm not complaining.

I'll have to look at Verizon myself though. I just found out I get a 20% discount through work, but I think I'm still better off on T-Mobile.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's real dumb but this is (was?) how the deal went down.

1. You pay the taxes on the full purchase price upfront (something like $50-$70).

2. Every month after, for two years, you pay $10/mo, added to your wireless bill.

2a: The first two months, they bill you the normal rate, then on the third month they give you the difference between the $10 deal and the normal price. For example if you normally are paying $27/mo for the device, you'd get two months of $27 bills then the third month they give you a $34 credit on your wireless bill ($17*2). Then you just get billed $10 from then on.

That's on top of the wireless bill, which has the data charge and the per-device wireless charge.

In any event, I upgrade phones every 2-3 years as is, and after all the dust settles, you're paying $240 for the Pixel which normally costs $649. At that point I own the fucker and can probably sell it for, like, $200? Maybe? Or do a trade in on the Pixel 3 or whatever other phone. It's a pretty good deal, all things considered. So long as you're a Verizon customer, I guess.

e: The tablet they gave you will likely come with a device access charge added to your wireless bill or something if it's on the plan. Or they were just trying to get rid of some tablet they didn't want to keep around anymore.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jokes posted:

e: The tablet they gave you will likely come with a device access charge added to your wireless bill or something if it's on the plan. Or they were just trying to get rid of some tablet they didn't want to keep around anymore.

Yeah, they told my wife "no fee, no charge," but she got home and turned it on and there's a sim inside connected to the network. I turned off mobile data, but that's something to check on.

Fake edit: now she says they waived the Pixel activation fee (would that have been waived anyway?) and charged the activation fee on the tablet.

The whole billing thing just sounds like a car dealership shell game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah, the tablet is a common thing that phone companies do, it's some real poo poo. I didn't get my activation fee waived (I wish I did), but that's $20 per activation.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

That's what she got. I'm on TMobile, I'm not playing Verizon's crazy billing games. They couldn't figure out how to tell me the straight cost of the phone. She paid $247 at the store and the monthly bill went down $5 a month. I don't understand all of the line items, it's very complicated, and I've worked in corporate accounting for years.

Also they have her some kind of free Ellipsis 10 tablet. Seems functional.

If you're wondering why my wife and I aren't on the same plan, it's because she's a grown married adult with a child and her parents still have her on their family plan. I'm not complaining.

I'll have to look at Verizon myself though. I just found out I get a 20% discount through work, but I think I'm still better off on T-Mobile.

You can get $325 off a Pixel right now on T-Mobile (via bill credits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Got my shiny new Pixel and it's wonderful. Trying to figure out some things about it:

- Is it possible to remove the big Google button on the home screen?

- How do I adjust my contact list source? On my old HTC One, I could tap on "Phonebook" at the top and then de-select a bunch of email accounts so that people who emailed me at work three years ago don't show up in my contact list. Is that not possible here? If it's not possible to pick-and-choose, is it possible to disconnect the contact list from external sources entirely so I can just manually add the people I want on the list?

- When I hold down the middle button, a pop-up says that "Google Assistant isn't available for this account" and tells me to switch accounts for it, but this is the only account on the phone and that's what the "switch accounts" button shows, too. What do I do? Did the Verizon folks mess something up when prepping the phone?

- When I pull up the app screen, I can't figure out how to delete (or at least hide) apps. How's that work?