Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nemo07 posted:

:psyduck: Why on EARTH is the horse over 2000 lbs?!? That one lady wanted to stomp out a dude with hers!

Hapu is extraordinarily tough and powerful.

Also, postgame spoilers but Why are all Guzma's pokemon 63? Why am I getting annihilated by a Masquerain?! This was the first thing I did upon beating the league and I barely survived. My boy Guzma can be very scary.

On the other hand, Guzma respects me and asked his mum to give me a TM. And Hala believes in him and they're going to go on a journey around Alola to teach Guzma the meaning of friendship and help him become a better person. :3:

Now that I know Hala trained Guzma and used to be close with him, it makes Hau being the person who fights Guzma at the end of the Aether Paradise thing feel more significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tired Moritz posted:

where is the last stufful in route 10?

ugh, nevermind. its behind the sign

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mudsdale is a great pokemon. Stamina is an amazing ability and its got high enough attack and bulk that it really tears poo poo up in the story. Without any recovery moves, it's probably not gonna end up super useful in competitive, and it kinda sucks that its signature move is basically "Earthquake but slightly worse" but I still love it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Leveling up to late moves or hyper training is absolute hell

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tired Moritz posted:

ugh, nevermind. its behind the sign
I was gonna ask if you got that one but I assumed it was not that one you missed :shobon:

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Leveling up to late moves
Heart Scales

cheetah7071 posted:

or hyper training is absolute hell
You're hosed here though.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am really annoyed that pokemon bank does not work at all for sun/moon yet because i want to bank all my pokemon and start a new game but i can't without losing all those super cool dudes, including the version exclusives i traded for.

might just wipe my save and start a new one anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Flagrama posted:

Heart Scales

Pheromosa learns High Jump Kick at 67 and not any earlier level. A full run of the E4 leveled her up once

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cheetah7071 posted:

Pheromosa learns High Jump Kick at 67 and not any earlier level. A full run of the E4 leveled her up once
Didn't they change the move learner so you could get moves from the future too? Serebii says so:

quote:

It's also got a new feature in Sun & Moon where it will also teach you a move that is further along it's moveset, normally learned at a higher level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Whoa, mind blown

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Yeah I was able to get moonblast on a lvl 14 or so sylveon that way

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The next three starter pokemon should be a grass, a fire, and then mimikyu in a squirtle costume. Never acknowledge it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
trip report: calm mind drampa shits on aegislash, alolan marowak, unfortunately basically nothing else because everything in the meta has fairy or fighting moves and outspeeds it

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Nemo07 posted:

:psyduck: Why on EARTH is the horse over 2000 lbs?!? That one lady wanted to stomp out a dude with hers!

Clydesdale Horses are really big.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been using assault vest Drampa in VGC Doubles as a replacement for Lickilicky. Cloud Nine shuts down weather and with the assault vest he has good bulk versus the common weather teams. Also a lot of people don't realize he can learn stuff like ice beam and OHKO stupid Garchomp/Salamance with it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm glad i got a stufful, now my murderhorse can have an equally dangerous friend

also the stufful is named dark yogi

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

cams posted:

i am really annoyed that pokemon bank does not work at all for sun/moon yet because i want to bank all my pokemon and start a new game but i can't without losing all those super cool dudes, including the version exclusives i traded for.

might just wipe my save and start a new one anyway

Be like me

And buy both :c00l:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Be like me

And buy both :c00l:

Only way to get the steel book case yo! :hfive:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

LionArcher posted:

Only way to get the steel book case yo! :hfive:

I actually bought Moon when it released. And, uh, Sun yesterday.

I'm liking this game way more than I thought I would.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
So I'm breeding a Mudbray I have that has Own Tempo and I want it to have an egg with Stamina. Am I going about this the totally wrong way? Some places I've looked up say abilities get passed down 80% of the time. I'm thinking it might be easier to just run around the ranch and pop some horses in the face to see if they're good.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I walked into the Battle Tree and got tied into a pretzel trying to use the team I'd beaten most of the postgame with. I switched out to a team of Ultra Beasts and Tapus on the suggestion of a friend, barely squeaked past floor one, and then got my teeth knocked in by a preschooler with a dragonfly that had a OHKO move for all three of my UBs.

I see why my friends who kept playing Pokemon after I stopped called the Battle stuff bullshit. Now to debate whether or not I want to try to unravel EVs before I try again. Which three UBs/Tapu as a team would be best to cover my rear end in the single mode? I tried Buzzwole, Xurktree, and Guzzlord.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Is there really a point to having a move deleter if there aren't any hms?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Previously a poster used it as an easy way to get Smeargle to sketch the exact move you want using a Ditto. Other than that, I can only think of it as a reason to uh stop certain Pokemon from evolving? Like Piloswine? But you could just not have them learn that move so who knows.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Daeren posted:

So I walked into the Battle Tree and got tied into a pretzel trying to use the team I'd beaten most of the postgame with. I switched out to a team of Ultra Beasts and Tapus on the suggestion of a friend, barely squeaked past floor one, and then got my teeth knocked in by a preschooler with a dragonfly that had a OHKO move for all three of my UBs.

I see why my friends who kept playing Pokemon after I stopped called the Battle stuff bullshit. Now to debate whether or not I want to try to unravel EVs before I try again. Which three UBs/Tapu as a team would be best to cover my rear end in the single mode? I tried Buzzwole, Xurktree, and Guzzlord.

Basically EVs are (at level 50) 60-something extra points you can distribute across your stats, max about 30 per stat so you pump two stats halfway instead of one the whole way. You gain them by fighting things; fast pokemon will tend to increase speed, etc. The difference between a good-nature pokemon with correctly distributed EVs and a random-nature no-EV pokemon is pretty huge. EV training your first set of three battle tree pokemon will take 1-3 hours or so, but you can buy items with BP that wildly speed it up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Previously a poster used it as an easy way to get Smeargle to sketch the exact move you want using a Ditto. Other than that, I can only think of it as a reason to uh stop certain Pokemon from evolving? Like Piloswine? But you could just not have them learn that move so who knows.
Last Resort movesets, Smeargle/Ditto shenanigans, really weird Rest/Sleep Talk sets, that's all I can think of.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

its the only way to run this set if youre an absolute madman

Araquanid @ Choice Band
- Liquidate
- Sleep Talk

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Clydesdale Horses are really big.

REALLY BIG:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Nemo07 posted:

So I'm breeding a Mudbray I have that has Own Tempo and I want it to have an egg with Stamina. Am I going about this the totally wrong way? Some places I've looked up say abilities get passed down 80% of the time. I'm thinking it might be easier to just run around the ranch and pop some horses in the face to see if they're good.

Yeah, I think for any reasonably common Pokemon like Mudbray, it's faster to catch a fresh one and then breed that for IVs/Nature/whatever. On the other hand, with all the work it takes to catch Mareanie and other rare fishing Pokemon, it's probably best to try for the 20% chance of getting the other ability from an egg.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
does anyone have any tips for IV ditto chaining? even though I have a bunch of 6 IV ones in pokebank I feel if I'm gonna start some breeding now might as well have at least 2-3 perfect IVs.

Also, where do you pick up an everstone? I got an adamant unchained ditto and am gonna start breeding stuff for my living dex.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Countblanc posted:

its the only way to run this set if youre an absolute madman

Araquanid @ Choice Band
- Liquidate
- Sleep Talk

:yeah:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Desperate Character posted:

Also, where do you pick up an everstone?

I got mine from beating Ilima a second time before leaving Melemele

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Desperate Character posted:

Also, where do you pick up an everstone? I got an adamant unchained ditto and am gonna start breeding stuff for my living dex.
You can get them from the cave on Poke Pelago, second mission (the one that returns evolution stones) and wild Boldore can hold them. That's where I got my two - the trainer battle mentioned earlier seems better.

How many PC Boxes are there this time around? Still 30+1? I want to put one failed Vulpix in every box to open them all up :3:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
YO my dream came true and I got the last available $99 New 3DS at Walmart before work. After my shift it's fuckin on friends. I haven't caught a mon since Pearl version. I'm starting with the water whatsit that goofy gently caress, I'm pumped.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just noticed that you can actually see the egg-giving lady fold her arms while you're on the Egg Hatch Corral, meaning you know exactly when to pick up a new egg. I love this game. :3:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically EVs are (at level 50) 60-something extra points you can distribute across your stats, max about 30 per stat so you pump two stats halfway instead of one the whole way. You gain them by fighting things; fast pokemon will tend to increase speed, etc. The difference between a good-nature pokemon with correctly distributed EVs and a random-nature no-EV pokemon is pretty huge. EV training your first set of three battle tree pokemon will take 1-3 hours or so, but you can buy items with BP that wildly speed it up.

Isn't there also some item that will let you re-distribute evs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Isn't there also some item that will let you re-distribute evs?

Manipulating EVs is a huge pain in the rear end in this game. I'm getting to the point where come January, I'll do all my training of pre-gen7 mons in X/AS and bank them up for moon battle spot.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

PantsBandit posted:

The next three starter pokemon should be a grass, a fire, and then mimikyu in a squirtle costume. Never acknowledge it.

next starter you should pick your pokemon, then steps behind a low wall for a moment, there's sounds of a skuffle and then mimikyu comes out wearing its skin in a matching costume

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Wow...so catching HA pokemon is even more horseshit than I thought. Found a female cubone with rock head got her with a false swipe and every time I tried to throw the ball she called for help. It took me twenty loving turns to throw a ball. Jesus Christ did they think anything through? Also couldn't manage jackshit with a sandshrew the HA literally never showed up. It's like they got their storytelling in order and then forgot about all the other goddamned game features. Still I've managed to grind on through to the point all I need is to transfer my 6 IV dittos to get this show on the road.

BTW Anybody got an adamant ditto? I got a pile of shinies I'll let you pick from for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Hidden Abilities are the only ones that get passed down through breeding. Even then, it's only a chance. Regular abilities never get passed down, the ability the baby will have can't be influenced in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hidden Abilities are the only ones that get passed down through breeding. Even then, it's only a chance. Regular abilities never get passed down, the ability the baby will have can't be influenced in any way.

I thought it was 80% chance of the mother's? That's what Serebii said.