Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do y'all want a thread for Arkham Horror? I haven't played yet but I could whip one up while I'm still at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Probably not worth it, this is just the release rush.

Speaking of Arkham, any of you find the 4-5 cost cards worth it? I have the feeling that any time I take a resource action I'm wasting my turn, so I never do. Maybe with Skids or Wendy, though, but anything non-roguish doesn't have enough resource generation.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Arkham, any of you find the 4-5 cost cards worth it? I have the feeling that any time I take a resource action I'm wasting my turn, so I never do. Maybe with Skids or Wendy, though, but anything non-roguish doesn't have enough resource generation.

There's Doc Chris for Daisy which can work wonders and more than pay for itself over the course of a game. Anyway, I definitely use some, they're powerful enough to be worth including (Dynamite, Shotgun imo, I'd have to look up others). I guess I tend to mulligan aggressively at the start though and if I don't have a good asset play turn 1, I try to conserve resources until I draw one.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fat Samurai posted:

Leo DeLuca is always worth it. Dynamite can save a game. For the most part though, there are enough super powerful 1-3s that I don't bother with 5+

Selecta84 posted:

So which one do you guys (who have played both Arkham and LOTR) like more?

Arkham and it's not even close.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 24, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've played through the first AH LCG scenario 3 times now and I think I've got a good enough grasp to move on to the second scenario. Roland and Wendy are about to take a stroll into Arkham!

Cards that have an arrow trigger icon - I don't have to exhaust those to use them, right? So, if I have Roland's .38 Special, on his turn he could just fire 3 times in a row? That, plus Lita Chandler made the Ghoul Priest a cinch.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

COOL CORN posted:

I've played through the first AH LCG scenario 3 times now and I think I've got a good enough grasp to move on to the second scenario. Roland and Wendy are about to take a stroll into Arkham!

Cards that have an arrow trigger icon - I don't have to exhaust those to use them, right? So, if I have Roland's .38 Special, on his turn he could just fire 3 times in a row? That, plus Lita Chandler made the Ghoul Priest a cinch.

Correct, no need to exhaust. Same goes for lightning bolt abilities, only exhaust if it says so, otherwise just trigger them as many times you wish.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, very few cards in the core set require you to exhaust them.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I think it's sad that FFG keeps using 'exhaust' in text instead of using a symbol like mtg. It's doubly sad that they chose an arrow-like symbol to indicate an ability that requires an action.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

theroachman posted:

I think it's sad that FFG keeps using 'exhaust' in text instead of using a symbol like mtg. It's doubly sad that they chose an arrow-like symbol to indicate an ability that requires an action.

Exhaust is a term they use in a lot of their games so they could make icon for it but board gamers have a love hate relationship with icons so they really use them sparingly.

I'm hoping they ditch that terrible "bow" icon from L5R when they come out with the new game. I'd much rather have :words: than ugly icons.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

PaybackJack posted:

Exhaust is a term they use in a lot of their games so they could make icon for it but board gamers have a love hate relationship with icons so they really use them sparingly.

I'm hoping they ditch that terrible "bow" icon from L5R when they come out with the new game. I'd much rather have :words: than ugly icons.

Man, as a dude that has like 10k L5R cards, I couldn't agree more. Every time I pull that stuff out, I have to remind myself that it's a dude bowing and not a flintlock pistol.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It got brought up on the Doomtown Facebook wall, while discussing possible iconography for that game, and the designer was actually doing art and such for Doomtown cards as well. He popped his head into the thread to say that he designed a few different designs and he wasn't particularly happy with that one, but that's the one they chose.

VVV The symbol in question, with coincidentally appropriate flavor text VVV

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If one of my two investigators dies, do I still include the dead guy in the "X clues per investigator" icons?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Well I don't feel as bad about getting the poo poo kicked out of me in scenario 3 then.

I only killed one cultist in scenario 2, so I had, what, 4 of them spawn on top of me in scenario 3. Yikes.

Not sure how spoilery I need to be, but god drat this game is good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Well I don't feel as bad about getting the poo poo kicked out of me in scenario 3 then.

I only killed one cultist in scenario 2, so I had, what, 4 of them spawn on top of me in scenario 3. Yikes.

Not sure how spoilery I need to be, but god drat this game is good.

You didn't kill any cultists in Scenario 2. You interrogated them. With bullets. In the face.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
AH is good but man, after sleeving all these cards up I wish the box was like... three times as big.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Put the player cards in a binder

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Alris posted:

AH is good but man, after sleeving all these cards up I wish the box was like... three times as big.

No one should keep the FFG LCG boxes. Even with $$$ inserts they're rather pointless.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I spent almost five minutes in a panic because I thought I lost two of the basic weakness cards, because I kept counting eight. No, there's two of them that double up so they have an extra chance of being picked.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Did the first scenario with three players tonight, surprisingly we won when I thought we were going to have to run away. We're planning on continuing the campaign soon, it will be exciting to not know what is coming next.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If an investigator is eliminated, do they still draw an encounter card?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

If an investigator is eliminated, do they still draw an encounter card?

Nope, under "Elimination" from the RR :

"The only manner in which eliminated investigators interact with the game when establishing “per investigator” values (see page 16)."

Per investigator values is the values that occur together with the face with hat icon, i.e the number of clues on most locations etc.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Essentially it just makes investigation more difficult if you lose a buddy, or bosses that have health dependent on the number of inveatigators

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Roland + Lita + a gun is so good at blowing away those beefy enemies.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Roland's shotgun is super hosed up if you pull the star token.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, we finished our second campaign now, this time with Roland and Agnes. Now we played with built decks from 2 cores, and the game was certainly even more enjoyable, even though I liked the first playthrough as well.

First scenario was a breeze, didn't even bother to fetch Lita. Second quest was a also better, we upped from 3 cultists to 4 interrogated, and almost had time for number 5.

At the last mission our weaknesses started to show though, because me and my wife had both built quite one-sided decks. While we could muster a lot of combat from Roland, or a lot of willpower from Agnes, both were weak in knowledge and agility, not only because of the base stats but also lacking skill icons on cards. We died a few times (2? 3?) until we finally ganked Umôrdhoth with a combination of Shotgun, Dynamite, Shrivelling and Hidden Knowledge.

Looking back at the session, Flashlight is not to be underestimated as a card, and it's somewhat important to build a well rounded deck. The final mission can of course be cheesed by sacrificing Lita, or by just building up for Umôrdhoth at the main path instead of searching for clues, but we opted to play the scenario as intended . Still hungry for more though, Skids and Daisy up next!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
For demoing Arkham Horror for two friends which do you think is better?

Option A) Roland, Agnes, and Daisy with 100% Guardian/Seeker/Mystic decks and a standard 10 neutral card package

Or

Option B) Roland, Agnes, and Daisy rocking the default 10 main, 10 secondary, 10 neutral decks?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I let my two other players pick their characters and then I picked my Investigator to fill the gaps.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

For demoing Arkham Horror for two friends which do you think is better?

Option A) Roland, Agnes, and Daisy with 100% Guardian/Seeker/Mystic decks and a standard 10 neutral card package

Or

Option B) Roland, Agnes, and Daisy rocking the default 10 main, 10 secondary, 10 neutral decks?

No option C? :( Personally I would do 3 investigators with ~75% of their own class and 25% cherrypicked cards. Agnes with Lucky/Look what I found, Roland with some good seeker cards and I would probably go with Wendy as the last character(maybe use lvl 2 lucky if you dont't want to proxy) with some backstab and elusive.

Otherwise option B, because monodecks are harder to play I believe, being good at one thing but crap at the rest. For example, Daisy would only be able to have knife as a weapon unless she has access to the mystic spells.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
They've picked Agnes & Daisy, so I figure Roland is the best to round out the trio. I'd do Skids if not for the fact the trio _needs_ a big combat hitter.

I can't think what I'd want in Daisy's deck that I wouldn't want in Agnes's deck as well. Agnes can definitely pull some Lucky and Look What I Found cards since Wendy isn't being played.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I built Agnes and Skids. They look like they could take down monsters together, especially with Shrivelling. My friend built Roland and probably is going to build Wendy, so we'll have four characters in case others want to join us. It's hard to build three decks from two cores. I put together Daisy, but since it's all Seeker cards and no Shrivelling, she's only good at investigating with the ability to use a Knife if she really needs to kill a rat or something.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

I built Agnes and Skids. They look like they could take down monsters together, especially with Shrivelling. My friend built Roland and probably is going to build Wendy, so we'll have four characters in case others want to join us. It's hard to build three decks from two cores. I put together Daisy, but since it's all Seeker cards and no Shrivelling, she's only good at investigating with the ability to use a Knife if she really needs to kill a rat or something.

Don't forget she can go Mind Over Matter, unfortunately her damage is still dumpsterific.

I wish playing a weapon didn't trigger AoO. Roland should be able to rock the shotgun then pull his piece.

Hopefully guardians will get a holster at some point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
How should I treat the double-bonus skill cards when deckbuilding? Do I put the ones that draw a card when successful in to shore up skills my character is lacking? Or do I include the ones I'm good at already for a more guaranteed card draw?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

Don't forget she can go Mind Over Matter, unfortunately her damage is still dumpsterific.

I wish playing a weapon didn't trigger AoO. Roland should be able to rock the shotgun then pull his piece.

Hopefully guardians will get a holster at some point.

We already have Switchblade which is a Fast weapon and I think your idea of a holster might also come in the first cycle. If not, I expect more weapons with Fast to show up.

BJPaskoff posted:

How should I treat the double-bonus skill cards when deckbuilding? Do I put the ones that draw a card when successful in to shore up skills my character is lacking? Or do I include the ones I'm good at already for a more guaranteed card draw?

Some people seem to use all of them, to speed up and recycle their decks fast. Personally I mostly boost my main stat (willpower Agnes, combat Roland) for almost guaranteed successes when you need the kill. Knowledge one is always somewhat useful since you often search for clues.

Then again, I have had troubles spiking certain stats in favour of others, so I guess I should try to include some cards to pad the weak stats next time to see if that goes better.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Beating the first scenario felt like a huge accomplishment, really fun! I even got a nice new asset for my deck. Now I have six experience for Agnes and I'm not sure what to spend it on. My friend's playing Roland, if that helps.

Blinding Light upgrade: This by itself kills any 2 HP enemy, and can kill a 3 HPer on any symbol.

Book of Shadows: Four resources is expensive, but the extra counters on Shrivelling is nice. This also lets me hold Scrying at the same time.

Grotesque Statue: Seems good, but we're playing on normal difficulty. We got unlucky with the auto fail a lot, but it's just variance. It's also four bloody XP.

Mind Wipe: Is this even good? We went through like the entire encounter deck and didn't see any enemy that would have been easier with its text blanked. Especially since it doesn't work on elites.

As for Survivor cards, Lucky was good enough without the upgrade, and Aquinnah is five resources and only situationally useful. Right now I'm thinking Book and one upgraded Blinding Light. That leaves me 1 XP, but there's nothing to spend it on, and we want to beat the campaign before doing the whole werewolf ordeal.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I wish Scrying was an free action to cast when in a 2+ player game. Or was investigators +1 or 2 in cards.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've a Mind Wipe in my Agnes deck and I've been very, very thankful for it. First scenario isn't that big a deal, but there are baddies in the second that you'll be glad to see it.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
I've tried both Blinding Light upgrade and Grotesque Statue. Blinding Light upgrade is good but Grotesque Statue is awesome. It can straight up win you games and you can use it however often you like for any test and is cheap to play to boot. E: It's good on normal too, trust me.

Never felt a need for Book of Shadows, but think it's going to be useful once more spells arrive. To be honest, I've found that Agnes is almost as good as Roland to deal damage, so ConfusedUs, which enemies have you been using Mind Wipe on?

Zerf fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 28, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Hunting Nightgaunts, which double negative modifiers you pull from the bag. You have to massively over-commit to challenges involving them. Mind Wipe gets rid of that.

I've played the second scenario three times with Agnes, and all three times I used it on one of those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ConfusedUs posted:

The Hunting Nightgaunts, which double negative modifiers you pull from the bag. You have to massively over-commit to challenges involving them. Mind Wipe gets rid of that.

Apologies is I'm misunderstanding you, but you know that the double negative modifier only applies to Evade actions, right?