Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Based on some of the posts in this thread I'm a bit leery of getting started on issue 8 with the venetian stuff to unlock Tokyo.
I've switched over to my Dragon character in the short term while I decide whether to grind my main character into unlocking all Aux weapons first, or just jump in so I can get to Tokyo fast.
It sounds like Tokyo and this Venice stuff are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tokyo continues the story and that part is good. You can ignore almost everything about issue 8 - buying the fake seal to get access to Tokyo is easy, so you never really have to do more than the one introductory scenario (and you can just do it on solo/easy and do it in the most :effort: way and lose most civilians)

Tokyo gameplay (mostly the AEGIS system) is bad and dumb. There are some ways to make it tolerable but you have to see for yourself if the story makes up for the increased shittyness of playing in Tokyo. It didn't for me, it does for other people.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 2, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You don't have to do any scenarios, just do the story missions for issue 8 and when the guy send you off to grind scenarios pay 1 black bullion to get the exemption from one of the vendors (I think it's called something like that) and then go straight back to him.

Just be aware that there are two versions of the exemption - one vendor sells it for 1bb, another sells it for a million pax but only if you've finished that text adventure mission.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I still love that admission of defeat. Scenarios were mandatory until they realized it was a garbage system, there would never be more, and sane players hated them.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Where can I sell Jack's Head and for how much? Asking in the event channel I'm never sure if they're trolling me, also I get invites by people who said nothing. Got three of them (50% drop rate).

e: ok I remembered there's an auction house

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
have they patched in controller support yet? I'm having real trouble playing this game properly on a keyboard. Also, what is a good AR/pistol solo build? The discord link in the op has also expired.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

dumb and kinda scared posted:

You should buy the complete version posted earlier. It is maybe 10 bucks more expensive than base version but if you end up liking the game, it will save you a lot of money. Like 10 dollars per issue.

Yeah, this. You don't need any of the issue content until pretty late game, but it's way cheaper bundled with the base game than as individual purchases, so you might as well get them right off instead of having to buy the base game again to get the bundle price.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Also, what is a good AR/pistol solo build?

https://www.tswdb.com/builds

Some are a little out of date, but all are passable. I rock a sword/AR build myself and Tokyo is a breeze.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Any Illuminati Cabals on Cerberus anyone know of ? just started playing again.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

mfny posted:

Any Illuminati Cabals on Cerberus anyone know of ? just started playing again.

I recommend Scorpio if you're looking for a chill environment with a surprising amount of good players. I recall someone else here joined them too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

have they patched in controller support yet? I'm having real trouble playing this game properly on a keyboard. Also, what is a good AR/pistol solo build? The discord link in the op has also expired.

If you're having trouble with a keyboard I'm not sure how a controller will help but you can bind whatever you like to whatever you like I think.

It's hard to recommend a build while you're still unlocking all the various skills you need for the high end stuff. That being said a leech rifle build based around anima shot should get you a long way. Don't even worry too much about your secondary weapon when your primary is a rifle, you'll barely use them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hugh used to play exclusively on a controller and he was one of our better dps in the old days so it is possible to do. I rebound all of my controls to be around wasd. E was my builder, q my most used consumer, 4 my second consumer, 123 my interrupts, and 5 my whatever was left skill.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Hugh used to play exclusively on a controller and he was one of our better dps in the old days so it is possible to do. I rebound all of my controls to be around wasd. E was my builder, q my most used consumer, 4 my second consumer, 123 my interrupts, and 5 my whatever was left skill.

I used Xpadder with an Xbox 360 controller. Only places I needed to use the keyboard/mouse was jump puzzles like cost of magic (controller didn't have native support so the movement was all or nothing) and the raids like New York that pushed my computer and caused Xpadder to stutter.

Here is the profile I started with.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Variable Haircut posted:

I used Xpadder with an Xbox 360 controller. Only places I needed to use the keyboard/mouse was jump puzzles like cost of magic (controller didn't have native support so the movement was all or nothing) and the raids like New York that pushed my computer and caused Xpadder to stutter.

Here is the profile I started with.

Would this work with my PS4 controller?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Would this work with my PS4 controller?

I don't have any experience with Playstation controllers. But if the controller works for other games with native controller support, then it should work with this as well.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

I forgot about this!

hi hugh

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Hi!

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Len posted:

I also forgot about this. It absolutely blows my mind.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
The current Steam beta client has native support for Dualshock 4 with Valve's new API. You don't even have to use any third-party applications now, just run The Secret World through Steam using Big Picture mode. You can bind/rebind buttons in-game too.

I got back into The Secret World just before the Hallowe'en event but then ended up playing The Black Watchmen all of last week. It's pretty cool that all the Alice & Smith games share the universe with The Secret World. I wonder what the NITE Team 4 crossover event is going to be like.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
I tried getting back into it but the game really hates my new hardware. It runs fine when I start it but after ten minutes or so it starts slowing down a ton and nothing I tried fixed it and I can't really find anything on why it's even happening.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

I tried getting back into it but the game really hates my new hardware. It runs fine when I start it but after ten minutes or so it starts slowing down a ton and nothing I tried fixed it and I can't really find anything on why it's even happening.
I assume loving with the settings will be the first thing you tried but I've had super slowdowns in certain zones on modern hardware if one of the effects sliders (I forget which one) was set above 3.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I notice that too when I'm in the blue mountains and the camera faces the way of the coast. I assume it has something to do with water textures or possibly fog. It hasn't been bad enough for me to actually try to fix it though.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

TracerM17 posted:

I notice that too when I'm in the blue mountains and the camera faces the way of the coast. I assume it has something to do with water textures or possibly fog. It hasn't been bad enough for me to actually try to fix it though.

In Blue Mountain, on the coastal road, facing northwest. I suddenly get a bit sluggish every time I face that direction. I have an awesome gaming rig, and I think that's the only place that I've ever encountered lag in TSW.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, it's Blue Mountain I'm talking about. :v:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well apparently it was an issue with DX11 which as I said used to run fine, went to try some things out but it got way worse and now I'm using DX9 and so far it seems to work fine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

Well apparently it was an issue with DX11 which as I said used to run fine, went to try some things out but it got way worse and now I'm using DX9 and so far it seems to work fine.
Yeah, the dx11 support is wank.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, the dx11 support is wank.

Since day 1.

Did they ever officially make tsw compatible with Windows 8 and up? Because I remember Joel posting in a thread to someone having problems playing "tsw isn't officially supported by win 8"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Since day 1.

Did they ever officially make tsw compatible with Windows 8 and up? Because I remember Joel posting in a thread to someone having problems playing "tsw isn't officially supported by win 8"
I don't think they've done jack poo poo to the underlying engine since launch tbh.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I still haven't figured out which setting causes a little freeze up every time I move from a big outdoor to a big indoor area and vice versa.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of my favourite features is the Vaseline filter one of the options adds. DoF always sucks but in this game it's just over the top bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tsw is $4 https://www.humblebundle.com/nicks-staff-picks-bundle

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but then you have to live with the fact that you also gave them money to buy Dungeons 2 and I wouldn't wish that to my worst enemy.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 24, 2016

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I found myself thinking about this game again over the holiday and now I'm downloading a 3Gs of files.

Does the AEGIS system still suck & is there anything new beyond that?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So it's pretty much Invisibles: the Game? I don't care much for MMO mechanics, but the setting is pretty cool. I was sold as soon as I went to Hell.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It'd be a fantastic game if it weren't for the middling-to-bad MMO mechanics.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you can tolerate the middling gameplay (and it's a lot more tolerable now than it was before, for sure) then play for the story. If you were at all intrigued by the premise when you heard about TSW you're probably going to have a good time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

From the last time I played the gameplay for everything but Tokyo was streamlined and faster. The retooled a bunch of passives to make less repetitive things and the new head dev is a much nicer person than Joel was. The story bits are definitely where the game shines though and I don't regret playing them at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did they ever add progression (encounter or gear) past Manhattan?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Inside the dying days of the Secret World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah you can get up to 10.4 now just by questing and there are some daily and weekly quests to get up to 10.whatever I don't remember exactly but nothing in terms of harder raid content, that's still the same pretty much. Which is good since the solo content is what the game does best and making the combat parts easier only works in its favor and vomiting epics at you is a good way to do it.

• Locked thread