Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Philip Rivers posted:

I like top lane because all you have to do is outplay your opponent and sometimes waddle around to poot on a squishy.

I like top lane, but i dont really get TP ganks. I also seem to be really bad at last hitting with melee. Meanwhile, I don't like midlane style heros as much. Except TF and Vlad. But Vlad got nerfed like 3 times and does seem worth spending IP on. And I don't get the roaming ganks with TF except maybe to prevent escapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

I like top lane, but i dont really get TP ganks. I also seem to be really bad at last hitting with melee. Meanwhile, I don't like midlane style heros as much. Except TF and Vlad. But Vlad got nerfed like 3 times and does seem worth spending IP on. And I don't get the roaming ganks with TF except maybe to prevent escapes.

My TP checklist goes like:
1) Is a fight going down in bot lane or around Dragon?
2) Is my jungle there? Is their jungle there?
3) Can I see their mid? Is my mid roaming down?
4) Is their top acting suspicious/backing at a weird time?

The goal is to try and estimate how many people are gonna be there in the next 5-10 seconds. If the numbers are overwhelmingly in one team's favor then I probably don't bother, but if my presence might make a significant difference (+/- one person on either side) then I try to TP in ASAP. I also probably don't bother if there's any less than 5 people total involved because 2v2 skirmishes are gonna happen by the nature of bot lane, but once more people start getting involved in the mix it can really make for a significant swing.

I'm not good though so don't listen to anything I say.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Jesus Christ this skin is so good.

http://imgur.com/oRduwOm

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, for any lane but especially if TP is in play, make sure not to fall behind in wavepush unless you have a very good reason (IE you will die if you try). If you have wave pressure advantage then you can respond or initiate poo poo around the map while your lane opponent is stuck killing minions (or losing out on them).

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm very tired of fighting Jinx.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, you thought the thighs were bad before?

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 25, 2016

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
lego bionicle moba is looking good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
would definitely be down with a bionicle inspired champ, tbh

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I dropped my Bionicle guy in a glass of chocolate milk one time

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm going to miss Rylai when it's redesigned to be solely a support brand and zyra item.

Lux buff <3

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone drop some Hot Ivern Tips

Orv
May 4, 2011
Learn somebody else, his big supportive tool is getting nerfed pretty bad.

Real answers:
The biggest trick to good Ivern play is Daisy tricks. Landing a Q while Daisy is up allows you to nigh-instantly move Daisy to that person. Since the seccondary effect of Q lasts a little while, you can use this to bait and block big shots like projectile ults and dashes. It's also immensely useful for peel and line control. You can target Daisy on an ADC or support to chase them off, then Q the tank you've been shielding your ADC against to get the critical Daisy knick-up. People either consistantly overestimate Daisy, letting you zone them, or consistantly underestimate the immense power of a 70% slow and a homing knock-up.

Don't undervalue the shield. A 70% slow (being pretty significantly nerfed) is insane. Coupled with the incredibly low cooldown, an AP tank build and the shields mastery; it is one of the best on demand anti-burst tools of any character. Put it in Daisy, Q you both onto the target and place a bush for your AA steroid, see people freak out and melt way faster than anyone expects a utility supprt to manage.

Q tricks are not essential but they can be life takers and play makers. You can Q jump to targets you've Q'd but can't actually see. Jungle creeps over walls, escaping blinks/flashes, you can even Secret Service projectile skills by Q'ing straight onto an enemy.

Candy King Ivern is incredible.

I am not the best person to talk about such high level stuff as my understanding is mostly assimilation, but Ivern applies game and map control like nobody else. The best invades in the game, the best out-of-sight out-of-mind game pressure available, ganks that make old Shaco look like a toothless old whore with no legs. It's an art I'm only just learning so someone else should expound on it, but a good Ivern game can snowball good lanes, save bad ones and keep the enemy jungler without buffs and a huge gold deficit.

Ivern good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Where are you seeing these incoming Ivern nerfs?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
just tried to play a quick ai game for free ip since i bought malzhar and wanted to try him out

malz is cool

having a rengar and warwick feeding mid all game is not cool

Orv
May 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Where are you seeing these incoming Ivern nerfs?

PBE is currently at

Ivern
Triggerseed (E) -
Mana cost increased to 70 from 50
Slow reduced to 40/45/50/55/60% from 70% at all ranks.

Obviously that's not necessarily the last word, but generally changes like that go through.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I've been maxing Q instead of E. As far as nerfing the highest winrate jungler it's not a big deal. The changes to CotC will be a bigger deal

Orv
May 4, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

the highest winrate jungler

Huh, didn't realize the changes had done that much for him.

And yeah I've always maxed Q first, the ranks are just too useful and his shield starts getting more useful as a shield than a slow around the time you're maxing it anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
CoCC is the best build and they're nerfing me, the windspeaker user.

goddamn it rito

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
have u ever had a thresh who did everything possible to make u lose????

cuz I have

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your definition of 'everything possible' to cause a loss is very small and sad

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you die 17 times you should auto demote to gold elo

Orv
May 4, 2011
At some point being a bad has to cross a line, but I think even 0/17 is probably still just the bads given some of the games I've seen this month.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
I'm not sure if it's something exclusive to my region (BR) but is Swain really this strong on Bronze? I've played like eight games in a row with him and only have one loss which came from our Singed ragequitting after going 1/10.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Max Coveri posted:

I'm not sure if it's something exclusive to my region (BR) but is Swain really this strong on Bronze? I've played like eight games in a row with him and only have one loss which came from our Singed ragequitting after going 1/10.

Bronze is about finding My First Champion That Clicks. You've done it

stump collector
May 28, 2007
He's weak in early lane but if he gets a lead and people don't focus him down or take ignite or build a grevious wounds item he can bulldoze a team

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Teikanmi posted:

have u ever had a thresh who did everything possible to make u lose????

cuz I have

I had this brand in my game last night who did the same thing

He also bitched the whole game about how awful our jungler was and how nothing was his fault :D

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ivern tips:

He's about early ganks. Invade level one with your squad, find out (or figure out from who they're playing) where they're starting, then tag your buff before taking theirs. On blue side, this lets you cheese top with red at level two; on red side, you'll go back for your own buff and chickens before ganking top or mid with doubles.

First back Mobis. If you go back with 1250 add a Dark Seal. This is your power spike.

You should win the game by the time you finish Runic.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I had this brand in my game last night who did the same thing

He also bitched the whole game about how awful our jungler was and how nothing was his fault :D

im pretty sure nothing in league of legends matters besides making sure your bottom lane isn't the one that goes 0/20 combined. i like to gank top lane when i jungle because its an easy kill but it never amounts to anything compared to going bottom lane because as soon as those guys start feeding the game is over.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Radical posted:

im pretty sure nothing in league of legends matters besides making sure your bottom lane isn't the one that goes 0/20 combined. i like to gank top lane when i jungle because its an easy kill but it never amounts to anything compared to going bottom lane because as soon as those guys start feeding the game is over.

It's a delicate balance; if you only gank top lane and dont have a 100% safe bot lane you can end up with 2 tilted allies, but if you focus entirely on bot lane you will end up with a lot of ganks that just dont earn any gold and set you behind (as well as potentially tilting top lane and earning an enemy assassin the 10 minute duration survival and damage buff).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Do I remember it wrong or soloQ was always loving terrible.

Like, I'm missing dynamic q.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Bholder posted:

Do I remember it wrong or soloQ was always loving terrible.

Like, I'm missing dynamic q.

Dynamic queue was horrible too, the only good queue was Team Builder.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its preseason and autofill is enabled in all skill brackets after a year of everyone playing exactly 2 roles, probably 1 role since everyone queued mid secondary.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

It's a delicate balance; if you only gank top lane and dont have a 100% safe bot lane you can end up with 2 tilted allies, but if you focus entirely on bot lane you will end up with a lot of ganks that just dont earn any gold and set you behind (as well as potentially tilting top lane and earning an enemy assassin the 10 minute duration survival and damage buff).

I feel like it really just depends on the lanes. When you're up against an aggresive but low mobility lane it sucks when your jungler just camps their obvious friend and spins his wheels for 20 minutes because he's going after someone with 30 dashes. In general after a certain mmr I think players on average understand lane matchups and won't really fault the jungler for camping easier targets if the lane they are up against would be hard to gank.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
As an addendum it can be hard to stop a fire in the bot lane once it starts burning because of the general ease of 4v2 dives and the fact that a lot of supports people play in solo q games are engage oriented so it's harder to just chill and farm after going down once so if they are struggling you probably should help.

One of the reasons my friend and I climbed so consistently was I was supp and he was mid, if my lane started losing he'd just gank the people getting overaggressive. A lot of junglers seem to have like the opposite mentality and just give up on you once you start losing lane. Despite people usually being weakest after they burned flashes to get a kill or w/e.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

ArbitraryC posted:

As an addendum it can be hard to stop a fire in the bot lane once it starts burning because of the general ease of 4v2 dives and the fact that a lot of supports people play in solo q games are engage oriented so it's harder to just chill and farm after going down once so if they are struggling you probably should help.

One of the reasons my friend and I climbed so consistently was I was supp and he was mid, if my lane started losing he'd just gank the people getting overaggressive. A lot of junglers seem to have like the opposite mentality and just give up on you once you start losing lane. Despite people usually being weakest after they burned flashes to get a kill or w/e.

This is actually a big part of the reason I like to play midlane over jungle, it's because it's pretty easy to 1) be farmed and 2) just run to whatever lane needs to be propped up. Ganking botlane as a jungler is like my least favorite thing to do.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ArbitraryC posted:

the answer, as in most cases, is it depends. if the lane you are ganking is ridiculously fed all your ganks are going to do is feed the enemy harder. In the case of your lane dying once to the enemy lane it is actually a pretty good idea to gank like you said, especially if you know there are no wards nearby.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 26, 2016

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Lissandra is actually still pretty solid despite nobody playing her/apparently nobody winning on her

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
Also gently caress this level 3 jungle off two camps thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

flyingkiwi posted:

Lissandra is actually still pretty solid despite nobody playing her/apparently nobody winning on her

i think people try to do too much with her. at bare minimum, a lissandra in your game should mean 2 or 3 carries from the other team need QSS and that's a pretty big deal until the game gets really late

• Locked thread