Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Soul Glo posted:

It's the soft-revision of the SP with the better backlight, imo. I've never used a Micro, but there's no way RPGs are fun to read on that thing.

You'd be surprised, I played Golden Sun and Final Fantasy 4 on a Micro and the screen isn't an issue at all. Most people expect the screen on it to be super small and hard to see but it's bright and clear and super sharp so it's not an issue for playing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Zand posted:

does anyone have a sega _____ city cabinet? how much upkeep and maintenance has your cabinet required?

I had a Aero City for years and other than cleaning it up when I got it really well I never had to do much else with it. They are built really solidly and as long as you aren't doing anything stupid it should last forever.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

univbee posted:

This. What you do is grab the Good Tool for your system (say, SNES), unzip it to an empty folder, punt all your ROMs into there and then in a command prompt go "goodnes rename dirs", which will audit and throw all the ROMs into subfolders. There will be country-level subfolders which will only contain the untouched original ROM dumps of respective games. Certain Good Tools will include Beta/Prototype/Unreleased stuff in these folders, and some games will have multiple versions, but otherwise it's pretty clean. Hacks will be in "hacks" (which may further sort by ROMs with trainers, ROMs with a different mapper), the newest versions of translation patches with be in "NewTranslations", and so on.

Only other gotcha will be an "Unlicensed" folder which could contain some non-Seal of Quality releases like Super Noah's Ark 3D, Wisdom Tree and Tengen games and the like. Also some consoles will have "World" folders for games which aren't bit-wise different between regions, NTSC for games unchanged between US and Japan (such as Super Metroid and Mario Paint), and possibly other similar folders depending on the console.

Years ago I sorted the GoodPCE set with a clumsy VBScript I wrote myself, but this probably would've been easier. I assume GoodTools does something fancier like reading headers instead of filenames.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Aimlessly browsing ebay to try and find something to get my roommate for Christmas and I love all the bootleg Dreamcast stuff out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-GAMEBOY-COLLECTION-SEGA-DREAMCAST-/222314838066

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2016

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

d0s posted:

The saturn is a weird one to me because so many of it's expensive games are ports of arcade games that have long since been surpassed by emulation. It's the reason I sold off all my JP saturn stuff (and made bank) and put it into real arcade hardware. Saturn ports are rarely even interesting enough to stand on their own like a lot of 16-bit ports are, and with Pseudo Saturn now you don't even need the real thing to play garegga in tate on a big CRT TV.

Like I'd get it if the expensive games were exclusives you could only play on Saturn but you're seriously paying hundreds for a worse experience than emulation on a PC. I can make the exception for ST-V stuff since that board is essentially a Saturn anyway, so it's like the Dreamcast where it's basically a consolized arcade system, but the prices for a lot of the other arcade ports completely mystify me.

Yeah, it's a strange thing. But if someone wants to pay me $150 for my copy of the slowdown-plagued Saturn port of Marvel Super Heroes, who am I to say no?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, it's a strange thing. But if someone wants to pay me $150 for my copy of the slowdown-plagued Saturn port of Marvel Super Heroes, who am I to say no?

Is that still valuable? I would have thought it would have dropped like a brick when it was released on Xbox Live, like how MvC2 did. Though thinking about it, since all those were pulled I guess it's rare again.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I know people were talking about a classic gaming bubble a year or so ago, but does anyone have opinions on whether the market has peaked yet?

I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga for $500 at a local shop 6 months ago and sold it on eBay for $620 two weeks ago. I was very surprised to flip it for that much profit. I started it at $100 with no minimum and no Buy It Now expecting it to land somewhere around the norm.

I don't know about overall trends but every Saturn game I bought less than a year ago sold for 10-25% more a few weeks ago. Not sure if that is just a temporary spike due to the holidays or part of an overall trend. I wonder if Saturn prices will fall when the CD-less Saturn flash card is released. I thought Guardian Heroes being released on XBL would have lowered the Saturn price a bit but it didn't really seem to slow it down.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dr. Dos posted:

Aimlessly browsing ebay to try and find something to get my roommate for Christmas and I love all the bootleg Dreamcast stuff out there.

Dreamcast homebrew holds a special place in my heart. Making things work was all voodoo, I used Nero Burning Rom as DiscJuggler didn't work on my drive and most guides and releases used the latter, so I had to do a lot of converting and merging of files and all sorts of stuff to get things working.

Running Master System games on it was pretty sweet though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dr. Dos posted:

I gotta know what game is on there

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Apparently regular links and timg tags don't play nicely. It's just a bunch of GB/GBC pokemon roms and hacks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-GAMEBOY-COLLECTION-SEGA-DREAMCAST-/222314838066

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
GB and GBA emulators with a front end?

I loved the DDR knock off DC home brew:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Does it have Pokemon Cock version?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
A few pages late, but about Japanese game prices:
I live in Nagasaki and yeah, SNES prices are a totally different ball game here. RPGs are dirt cheap, usually under 5$ for a working cart.
My local Hard Off has Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG both CIB for about 10$ each. R-Type 3, cart only, is about 50$ though.
I've been collecting lots of good stuff on Yahoo Auctions.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the terrible secret of japanese gaming is that the vast majority of japanese players don't give a poo poo about action games, there were enough to develop and publish them but the runs were usually small and they didn't sell a whole lot compared to genres that don't require reflexes, the japanese fans of action games are very dedicated though and willing to pay a lot. compound that with the fact that most people on the planet don't speak japanese and if they're into importing they're probably looking for stuff without text and you can see why every halfway decent japanese action game is pretty expensive.

like people poo poo on the stuff the "typical" american gamers play but in 2016 in japan the popular stuff seems even more boring, and shelves in shops everywhere is 90% full of that stuff. if it was still 90's squaresoft quality JRPGs I could understand but it's way below that standard. lots and lots of gambling simulation and other watching paint dry poo poo combined with shameless titty games etc. I really hate to say it but I think phil fish was right when he said the japanese game industry is bad now

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 25, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Meanwhile, some rear end in a top hat decides to showcase his sealed Magical Chase for an absurd BiN of $95k US:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222325246298?_mwBanner=1

I mean, like, it's a good game, but play it don't try to obtain tuition from it

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

does anyone have a sega _____ city cabinet? how much upkeep and maintenance has your cabinet required?

You're probably gonna have to do somethin with the monitor, eventually (cap replacement, etc). Other than that, I replaced the power cord to something with an earth, the control panel, the coin mech (you can get ones pretuned for quarters for cheapish), put locks back in, and covered a little hole in the back that was probably for linking purposes but I didn't want spiders to get in. Sometimes the jamma loom is somewhat butchered by cheap arcade operators. Thats all I can think of.

Are you lookin to buy one?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You're probably gonna have to do somethin with the monitor, eventually (cap replacement, etc). Other than that, I replaced the power cord to something with an earth, the control panel, the coin mech (you can get ones pretuned for quarters for cheapish), put locks back in, and covered a little hole in the back that was probably for linking purposes but I didn't want spiders to get in. Sometimes the jamma loom is somewhat butchered by cheap arcade operators. Thats all I can think of.

Are you lookin to buy one?

in the future i want a thing for netbooting naomi games

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Medullah posted:

Is that still valuable? I would have thought it would have dropped like a brick when it was released on Xbox Live, like how MvC2 did. Though thinking about it, since all those were pulled I guess it's rare again.

Yeah, I dunno... copies have sold earlier this month for ~$165, so I'm gonna give it a shot. I've also got Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, and Radiant Silvergun, although I probably won't sell them due to sentimental reasons. Might get rid of House of the Dead, though, as it was a pretty sorry port (although probably the best the Saturn could manage). I also had Panzer Dragoon Saga, which I flipped 12 years ago for around $250. With prices as they are now, I kinda wish I'd held onto it, hence my question about the "market bubble" earlier.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Years ago I sorted the GoodPCE set with a clumsy VBScript I wrote myself, but this probably would've been easier. I assume GoodTools does something fancier like reading headers instead of filenames.

The Goodtools work by checking MD5 or SHA-1 checksums and renaming files accordingly by comparing to a database of known ROM's. After that it pops them into specific folders based on a list of "put into this folder" naming conventions. It's definitely not perfect, like the "Translations" folders should ideally further break down by language, and while some games have game-specific hack folders if the game in question has 8 million hacks there are definitely some where this would be sensible, but it's a good first pass especially if you're looking for "complete" sets.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

univbee posted:

The Goodtools work by checking MD5 or SHA-1 checksums and renaming files accordingly by comparing to a database of known ROM's. After that it pops them into specific folders based on a list of "put into this folder" naming conventions. It's definitely not perfect, like the "Translations" folders should ideally further break down by language, and while some games have game-specific hack folders if the game in question has 8 million hacks there are definitely some where this would be sensible, but it's a good first pass especially if you're looking for "complete" sets.

I definitely have to check this out, thanks!

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Pappyland posted:

Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but what is considered the best way to play GBA games? DS? GBA SP? Micro?

Best is probably a GBA player but good luck getting one of those. The micro is great, but they're really drat tiny so I find them a little uncomfortable to hold.
The ideal GBA is an original model with a light mod even if you lose the convenience of a rechargeable battery

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah the SP lacking a headphone jack and being slightly cramped is a pain, but you do get the clamshell experience.

Micro is pretty rad but you lose gb/gbc compatibility unless you get that fancy flashcart that recompiles.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Having bought a Micro from a goon around the same time my GBA Everdrive arrived, I am very impressed with the system. It took a little getting used too, but it honestly pretty sweet if you want to play GBA games.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Christ... The Sega Trios went on sale again this morning. I was F5ing since 7am. They went on sale, seemed like the site crashed and then he had none left. I swear the guy must have had 5 of them.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

flyboi posted:

there's... people that buy cabinets and bring them over by the crate load and usually you just add your order to theirs and then get it shipped.

it's still not as cheap as say finding <insert cab from craigslist here> but it's the cheapest way
Funny enough, I missed the last crate load for the Southeast USA but found one on Craigslist a couple months later for $300 in a pawnshop. Astro City, 2l6b panel, PGM with Dragon World 2. After a few months of awesome Baku Baku and Outfoxies battles, the monitor went out. I recapped it and then broke the neck putting it back in. Finding a replacement monitor for a decent price is bloody impossible. - Xcade wants $600 for the Makvision, before shipping. So until I can find a good monitor, I have a 27inch lcd slotted in. It works, but the Astro with a CRT in it is just stunning, the LCD is not the same.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Are there any good Dreamcast horror games besides Illbleed and, I dunno, D2?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are there any good Dreamcast horror games besides Illbleed and, I dunno, D2?

There were some RE ports, as well as a port of Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (though I have no clue if this game was any good). Then there's also Blue Stinger, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, Carrier, and The Ring: Terror's Realm.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Code Veronica was ported to everything under the sun, but DC is the original intended platform.

In more Retro Achievement blabber, I forgot that function is also ROM-dependent. My No-Intro set will not work, it seems everyone making the achievs used the older ones. Additionally, there's nothing on the site to indicate which rom region or revision was used. Even a checksum field on the game pages would suffice, but nope, the only indications are if the author thinks to put it in the game title or the comments. That whole community is kind of a mess and I won't bother getting into it until they clean it up. I bitched earlier about the boringness of a lot of the achievements (FF2/4 SNES is a prime example), but FF3/6 has some goddamn genius ones. You'd need to know the game front to back to get most of those.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fastbilly1 posted:

Funny enough, I missed the last crate load for the Southeast USA but found one on Craigslist a couple months later for $300 in a pawnshop. Astro City, 2l6b panel, PGM with Dragon World 2. After a few months of awesome Baku Baku and Outfoxies battles, the monitor went out. I recapped it and then broke the neck putting it back in. Finding a replacement monitor for a decent price is bloody impossible. - Xcade wants $600 for the Makvision, before shipping. So until I can find a good monitor, I have a 27inch lcd slotted in. It works, but the Astro with a CRT in it is just stunning, the LCD is not the same.

There were some 2 monitor racing games I was tracking on craigslist that had the same monitor (nanao ms29 or something like that). Not that I advocate stripping down cabinets, but who is going to want huge 2 person pole position or whatever.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 25, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Here's a blast from the :canada:ian past, YTV's "Video and Arcade Top 10"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSdM6YWR7U4

Oh, Nicholas Picholas.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's a blast from the :canada:ian past, YTV's "Video and Arcade Top 10"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSdM6YWR7U4

Oh, Nicholas Picholas.

i met nicholas picholas at a bar once and watched his entire body sigh when someone asked him if that was his real name

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

checksin posted:

i met nicholas picholas at a bar once and watched his entire body sigh when someone asked him if that was his real name

Hahahaha, wow, this is the greatest thing I've heard all day, holy poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did people actually call the Super Nintendo the "Super NES" or was that just the XTREME 90's bullshit we look back on with confusion and shame? SNES or Super Nintendo is all I ever heard.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hahahaha, wow, this is the greatest thing I've heard all day, holy poo poo.

I might be able to top that for the best thing you've heard all day.

If you happen to be in Toronto tonight, you too can ask him if it's his real name. I'm going to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/917292261704226/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Did people actually call the Super Nintendo the "Super NES" or was that just the XTREME 90's bullshit we look back on with confusion and shame? SNES or Super Nintendo is all I ever heard.

It was definitely referred to as the Super NES occasionally among people I knew. Also one French guy I knew called it the "superness"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
We called it the "Sneeze". But we were all Genesis fanboys. :D

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I definitely read magazines that called it the Super NES.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

beaver_cheese posted:

I might be able to top that for the best thing you've heard all day.

If you happen to be in Toronto tonight, you too can ask him if it's his real name. I'm going to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/917292261704226/

There's no way PJ Phil doesn't show up to this
From what I hear, that dude shows up to all those 90s throwback things, even if he's not invited to them

e: pj phil is my facebook friend and i have sent him the link
say hi for me!!!!!

checksin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 26, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

Vocally? I recall myself, my brother, and other people calling it the "Ess nez" or "Super nez". It was pretty commonly referred to as SNES in a lot of print articles (like in game magazines), as I recall. And that makes sense, because it was still a distinct nomenclature, would save page space, and avoid any confusion with the NES or "Nintendo" (as a shorthand term for the game consoles) in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Snezz forever.

• Locked thread