Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

Is kaka someone's 6 year old who got ahold of the phone?
Real answer: Many girls look like they are about 12 until they reach 22. I would say most Chinese girls do not look like the women they will become to resemble until they are about 27 or so (if that makes any sense). Like, they go through puberty in their twenties instead of teens.

Blistex posted:

The reason that they all look like dicks with balls is that you need a round object to apply pressure to the deeper tissue and muscles, but having only one ball on the device makes it awkward to hold against your face/back/shoulders/legs with any force as it will want to twist out of your hand. Having the two balls on it stops that from happening, plus there is a pinching action, as moving it along your skin will squeeze and stretch the skin, resulting in a pleasant feeling.*

Also most of them have the power button/settings on the handle, which would result in them being inserted into an orifice (if you chose to use it for that) and would make operating it difficult. My wife and I saw about 6 of them (all different brands/models) lined up in a boutique in Korea, and we assumed they were vibrators until taking a closer look.

*the owner even had one of those little LCD screens that come with certain products to advertise how they work, and the video on it was demonstrating all these features of one of the dick & ball-shaped massagers.
I think it is part of some plot by the sex toy industry to normalize the idea that women carry boner-shaped devices in their purses everywhere and eventually we will get to the point where those huge suction-cup shower dildos are being used as safety handles for getting into and out of the tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

Real answer: Many girls look like they are about 12 until they reach 22. I would say most Chinese girls do not look like the women they will become to resemble until they are about 27 or so (if that makes any sense). Like, they go through puberty in their twenties instead of teens.

I think it is part of some plot by the sex toy industry to normalize the idea that women carry boner-shaped devices in their purses everywhere and eventually we will get to the point where those huge suction-cup shower dildos are being used as safety handles for getting into and out of the tub.

There is this really lovely run-down park in Shenyang that is advertised as a spot for dating couples. It has a big rusty ferris wheel, a filthy river that runs through it, and some potted flowers filled with cigarette butts and urine. My wife wanted to see it because all the photos of it on the net were heavily photoshopped to make it not look like an 1970's Soviet apartment block. The very first thing we see when we get there is an old lady selling dildos and vibrators from a bench. Naturally none of them were in any sort of packaging, and she was motioning to them without shame.

I think they might be approaching your scenario any day now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can't do that and not show us the photos, even if it is photoshopped.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

I'm trying to find it on google earth and with GIS, but coming up with nothing. It also had these decrepit swan paddle boats that you could take out into the filthy river.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/幸&%2331119;&%2325705;&%2322825;&%2336718;/@41.7663732,123.4039418,244m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

South Lake Park.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 25, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you need to post the link from the "share" icon than the search link url as it is giving me a semi-random place in New Zealand.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

oohhboy posted:

I think you need to post the link from the "share" icon than the search link url as it is giving me a semi-random place in New Zealand.

I got eastern Canada.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

oohhboy posted:

just search for 沈阳南湖公园

edit:

found the swan boats

big time bisexual fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 25, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

she's definitely going to murder you

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I am a child

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ladron posted:

I am a child

i'm not sure why i did this other than being bored at work

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jose posted:

i'm not sure why i did this other than being bored at work

The kid from Big?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big time bisexual posted:

just search for 沈阳南湖公园

edit:

found the swan boats

You did pretty much found the two good pictures. The rest are small, poorly shot, hilariously PSed(Max colour saturation), on a site that contains attack scripts or all of above.

The Ferris wheel is very China. From the photos the large struts has been painted recently, but left in the rust stains at the pivot and didn't thing to redo the carriages. It is more than likely a OSHA themed ride.

The bottom photo has that "Barely out of the 70's" vibe when it comes to the boats especially from that red car.

The water when seen from above is a nasty dark green I see in polluted water holes in the middle of cow farms.

How could I forget that random offset in google maps for China.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dicky mouse posted:

I got eastern Canada.

I have noscript and got a cartoon detective and a joke from some coder at Google about turning JavaScript back on.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Even if you learn to speak Chinese well, you'll very rarely have what you may consider a "normal" social interaction. Most people won't be able to treat you the way they may treat a non-laowai. A lot of times this can be good, but if you're learning the language, it's basically a handicap.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
guys, don't learn mandarin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chinese is the only language where I've been told repeatedly by people who learned and speak it well not to bother and that they regret ever wasting their time. That big post from AO here is hardly the only instance of that sentiment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
No, I say the same for Japanese, but as always not to the same degree.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL, welcome back 19th century criminal profiling, we missed you.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38092196

quote:

An experiment to see whether computers can identify criminals based on their faces has been conducted in China.

Researchers trained an algorithm using more than 1,500 photos of Chinese citizens, hundreds of them convicts. They said the program was then able to correctly identify criminals in further photos 89% of the time.

But the research, which has not been peer reviewed, has been criticised by criminology experts who say the AI may reflect bias in the justice system.

"This article is not looking at people's behaviour, it is looking at criminal conviction," said Prof Susan McVie, professor of quantitative criminology at the University of Edinburgh.

"The criminal justice system consists of a series of decision-making stages, by the police, prosecution and the courts. At each of those stages, people's decision making is affected by factors that are not related to offending behaviour - such as stereotypes about who is most likely to be guilty.

"Research shows jurors are more likely to convict people who look or dress a certain way. What this research may be picking up on is stereotypes that lead to people being picked up by the criminal justice system, rather than the likelihood of somebody offending."

The researchers took 1,856 ID photographs of Chinese citizens that fitted strict criteria of males aged between 18 and 55 with no facial hair or markings. The collection contained 730 ID pictures - not police mugshots - of convicted criminals or "wanted suspects by the ministry of public security". After using 90% of the images to train their algorithm, the researchers used the remaining photos to see whether the computer could correctly identify the convicts. It did so correctly about nine times out of 10.

The researchers from Shanghai Jiao Tong University said their algorithm had identified key facial features, such as the curvature of the upper lip and distance between eyes, that were common among the convicts.

But Prof McVie said the algorithm may simply have identified patterns in the type of people who are convicted by human juries.

"This is an example of statistics-led research with no theoretical underpinning," said Prof McVie, who is also the director of the Applied Quantitative Methods Network research centre.

"What would be the reason that somebody's face would lead them to be criminal or not? There is no theoretical reason that the way somebody looks should make them a criminal.

"There is a huge margin of error around this sort of work and if you were trying to use the algorithm to predict who might commit a crime, you wouldn't find a high success rate," she told the BBC.

"Going back over 100 years ago, Cesare Lombroso was a 19th Century criminologist who used phrenology - feeling people's heads - with a theory that there were lumps and bumps associated with certain personality traits.

"But it is now considered to be very old and flawed science - criminologists have not believed in it for decades."

Prof McVie also warned that an algorithm used to spot potential criminals based on their appearance - such as passport scanning at an airport, or ID scanning at a night club - could have dangerous consequences.

"Using a system like this based on looks rather than behaviour could lead to eugenics-based policy-making," she said.

"What worries me the most is that we might be judging who is a criminal based on their looks. That sort of approach went badly wrong in our not-too distant history."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

like they need this

Does he look Tibetan or Uighur? If yes, criminal. If not, no criminal. Done.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

GLOBAL TIMES: "This just in, all Uighirs found guilty in advance; China continues to lead world in technological progress"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

like they need this

Does he look Tibetan or Uighur? If yes, criminal. If not, no criminal. Done.

E:f,b

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love how some idiots trained a NN to recognise poor people by their hairstyle, skin color and clothing in passport photographs and now think that they build some kind of minority report type crime prediction AI.

Chinese research at its best :allears:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese is the only language where I've been told repeatedly by people who learned and speak it well not to bother and that they regret ever wasting their time. That big post from AO here is hardly the only instance of that sentiment.

we might have to start quoting it every few pages

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/china-xinjiang-residents-told-turn-passports-161124134129535.html

quote:

All residents in China's largely Muslim region of Xinjiang must hand in their passports to local police stations for "examination and management", according to Global Times, a state-funded newspaper .

"Anyone who needs the passport must apply to the police station," an anonymous police officer in Aksu prefecture told the paper on Thursday, adding that the policy had been implemented throughout Xinjiang.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just perfect.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
That "anonymous police officer" line is weird. Wouldn't that just be an official statement? It's not like it was some juicy, insider secret.

Also, didn't realize non-Hans in that area of China could ever actually GET a passport.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wow that's nuts even for China. :eyepop:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was difficult to get a taxi as a foreigner, imagine how bad it was when I was with the Uighur girl I was casually dating in 2012 :/

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

nickmeister posted:

That "anonymous police officer" line is weird. Wouldn't that just be an official statement? It's not like it was some juicy, insider secret.

Also, didn't realize non-Hans in that area of China could ever actually GET a passport.

China never name spokespeople whenever possible

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you are going to live in or spend a long time in Taiwan, learning 國語 is a good idea.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you are going to live in or spend a long time in Taiwan, learning 國語 is a good idea.

It's a little harder to truly speak none of it than, say, Bangkok, but you don't even need much here if you're in the city like I am. That said, I look enough like a student that people tend to assume I can speak way more than I do.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

It's a little harder to truly speak none of it than, say, Bangkok, but you don't even need much here if you're in the city like I am. That said, I look enough like a student that people tend to assume I can speak way more than I do.

Perhaps a student of... Hogwarts?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

I thought it was difficult to get a taxi as a foreigner, imagine how bad it was when I was with the Uighur girl I was casually dating in 2012 :/

Each and every coin has two sides, and many a mickle makes a muckle. I bet she often gets free rides in the state marked/unmarked party bus. It evens out.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't understand why they wouldn't want them to leave China. They already don't want them there. Why are they preventing them from going somewhere else?

Also this seems like this might give Trump some ideas.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

I don't understand why they wouldn't want them to leave China. They already don't want them there. Why are they preventing them from going somewhere else?

I think the idea is they cross the border, get bomb making material and cross back. This allows them to know every Muslim who wants to travel abroad before they do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have any other countries mass confiscated passports like this in recent times? The only countries I could think of that might have are places where nobody had a passport anyway like North Korea.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Perhaps a student of... Hogwarts?

I've asked Taiwanese people what they think and they go more for Spider-Man, actually

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

they haven't thought that far ahead

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Fromage posted:

Have any other countries mass confiscated passports like this in recent times? The only countries I could think of that might have are places where nobody had a passport anyway like North Korea.

Recent, like the Third Reich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JaucheCharly posted:

Recent, like the Third Reich?

I was thinking after that.

• Locked thread