Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

hito posted:

++++++.... seems way too low for a Spriggan with 18 DEX and 15 Stealth. Did the values for how much stealth is in each plus change or something?

Don't think so. It might also be slightly dinged from wearing the troll leather so it's just under 7 pips.

Anyway, after a certain point you have to manufacture your own stab chances. This means either getting Invisibility via evocation or spell, use Confuse/EH (you *never* used them!), or summons for distract stabs. Since you appear to be eschewing the whole stabbing route altogether you can just move into further hybridization with long blade and charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

hito posted:

++++++.... seems way too low for a Spriggan with 18 DEX and 15 Stealth. Did the values for how much stealth is in each plus change or something?

Species and forms lost their stealth modifiers because the info was hidden.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
...Don't drink or crawl you'll leave your stack of 55 large rocks in a treasure trove.
At least I'll get them back between okawaru and things. Enough of the loot was worth it that I don't feel too bad. From most to slightly interesting of the highlights
+5 pearl dragon scales "Qafuqok" {+Blink rElec rN+ MR+}.
+11 eveningstar "Daahom" {freeze, *Corrode rPois Str+3}
the +2 giant spiked club of Division {drain, rC++}
+3 slaying

There was some other poo poo in there, like a solid +2 fire dragon scales and troll leather, but I've actually not been lacking this run.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

the ring of the Doge {MR+ Int+6}

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I decided the game wasn't unpredictable enough so I chose a Troll Wanderer. Game gave me a bow, crossbow, and ammo and skills for both. Probably about as good as it is going to get.

Edit: D6, go down the stairs and Sigmund and Eustachio are having a staring contest.

d:6 sigmund is not a very big deal.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Huh, I guess that'd do it. I do enjoy removing secret aptitudes but it seems like Spriggans might deserve the +Stealth mut that Felids have, since unfitting armour seems to be a huge problem even in leather.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

odiv posted:

the ring of the Doge {MR+ Int+6}

I'm glad they brought the Doge name back after someone was like "oh someone made this word into a meme now, better delete it", which is a stupid reason to remove anything

Randart names are fun, and good

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So, I'm playing Crawl again.

I've got a Vinestalker of Hep running around Lair. I found Vampire's Tooth. Probably not worth it, right?

God, it's weird playing a character with an AC under 35 and a base weapon damage under 15.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Latest guy, I was a troll with a huge number of good mutations, had 5 star piety with ashenzari, and had just found an unarmed combat manual. I could have xp transferred my skills to the moon, but I fought the queen bee and the queen bee +10 berserk killer bees won.

always always always kite bees into a hallway if you don't have rPois

fake edit: hell even if you do have rPois bees can be rude as hell in groups

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

So, I'm playing Crawl again.

I've got a Vinestalker of Hep running around Lair. I found Vampire's Tooth. Probably not worth it, right?

God, it's weird playing a character with an AC under 35 and a base weapon damage under 15.

It's better than vampirism because it heals the full damage dealt instead of a fraction. It'll do you fine until you can fully enchant and brand that quickblade you're packing.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

Speaking of low base damage, I was surprised to find a +9 hand axe {flame} to be better than a +6 demon whip of slashing with Uskayaw against groups. I used the hand axe through most of swamp/spider/elf, hoping to find a broad axe at some point (using Ignorance, so the battle/execs I've found are useless).

e: died from trying to be cute instead of just berserking with my handaxe. Corroded, confused, frozen, burned, all at once.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 25, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Oh, god, this build is ridiculous.

I just tabbed my way through the Snake Pit without rPois or using... I don't think any consumables? Not counting permafood, because I didn't get lucky with edible corpses.

Edit: Hall of Blades had a dancing QUICK BLADE OF DISTORTION. :stare: As I was considering how to handle it, my ancestor spirit walked over to it and one-shot it. Now I get to pick between a +8 QB of venom or this distortion thing.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 25, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Distortion always. It beats everything forever. Basically the only enemy who doesn't get completely chumped by distortion is the royal jelly, and that's only because you need to actually kill it since it ate the key to the slime vault.

With an ancestor you can even mitigate minor blinking inconveniences.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whats a good brand for a triple sword? I've got an elec one but I'm thinking either flaming or freezing would be better.

E: Shoals 4: Bai Suzhen, Polyphemus and Mara encountered so far, ilsuiw still hiding somewhere.

EE: Found her, she spawned with a summoning scroll for good measure.

EEE: Can formicids get abyssed?

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 25, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Which one scales with weapon base damage? Is that freezing?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

New personal record! I got two DANG messages in the same turn. Ijyb on d2 with a wand of acid, the impact and acid splash both hit for more than half my hp.
:rip:

Which one scales with weapon base damage? Is that freezing?
Vorpal (slicing/crushing/etc), freezing, flaming and holy wrath scale their bonus damage on the damage dealt. Even then, for big weapons electricity does competitive damage and almost nothing resists it, so it's always a pretty decent brand. Pain and distortion are pretty similar; they are better on the fast weapons but they do just fine on a giant axe as well.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Carcer posted:

Whats a good brand for a triple sword? I've got an elec one but I'm thinking either flaming or freezing would be better.

E: Shoals 4: Bai Suzhen, Polyphemus and Mara encountered so far, ilsuiw still hiding somewhere.

EE: Found her, she spawned with a summoning scroll for good measure.

EEE: Can formicids get abyssed?

Freezing is technically a slightly better endgame brand than flaming. Because draconians and OoFs.

Try to ninja the rune.

Formicids can get abyssed.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Man I never took Zin as my god before. This is very smugifying. I get to just parade around with superhuman stats preaching about how all of these enemies suck.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Darox posted:

Vorpal (slicing/crushing/etc), freezing, flaming and holy wrath scale their bonus damage on the damage dealt.

Draining has partial scaling on weapon damage and partial flat damage, though lategame most of the big threats will resist it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I have three sources of regen (amulet, randart gloves, randart shield), do all three sources stack? And if I throw the regen spell on over that, does that stack with the other sources?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

All regen sources stack now. Drive it higher and higher.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

All regen sources stack now. Drive it higher and higher.

Tempted to lose the amulet for a +5 amulet of reflection. Good idea/Bad idea? I'd still have 2+1 sources of regen and reflect along with rmsl and Ru's "redirection" ? Or stay with 3+1 regen and rmsl/redirect?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

Tempted to lose the amulet for a +5 amulet of reflection. Good idea/Bad idea? I'd still have 2+1 sources of regen and reflect along with rmsl and Ru's "redirection" ? Or stay with 3+1 regen and rmsl/redirect?

Reflection is hilariously strong and lets you chew through places like Vaults and Elf and Orc. If you've already got a shitload of regen I'd go for it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fhqwhgads posted:

Reflection does absolutely nothing to help protect you in and of itself (though the +5 SH will, of course).

On the other hand, it is both very helpful and absolutely hilarious in places where people shoot or cast bolts at you. Vaults, Elf, Orc as mentioned, but I'm going to add Shoals - watching merfolk javelineers kill themselves rarely gets old. It's best if you also have a shield to stack your SH higher, of course, because it only reflects things you block. Which you do, so that's that covered.

Honestly, you've already got a ton of regen, so I'd make the trade without a doubt. It would be much more area-dependent if that was your only source though. It's an offensive perk, not a defensive one, so ask yourself: will more damage (that you can't entirely control) help?

That said, I'm also not a terribly great player, but that's how I look at it.

Prism fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Amulet of reflect and a shield of some sort makes a lot of the difficult branches easier. At least a third of the Vaults ambush killed itself from getting their missiles reflected back at themselves.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Carcer posted:

Amulet of reflect and a shield of some sort makes a lot of the difficult branches easier. At least a third of the Vaults ambush killed itself from getting their missiles reflected back at themselves.

Yeah I'm just doing a tanky GrFi^Ru that I finally got off the ground and am ready to do V5. My own lovely play will be the end of me though, I'm sure.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sage Grimm posted:

Don't think so. It might also be slightly dinged from wearing the troll leather so it's just under 7 pips.

Anyway, after a certain point you have to manufacture your own stab chances. This means either getting Invisibility via evocation or spell, use Confuse/EH (you *never* used them!), or summons for distract stabs. Since you appear to be eschewing the whole stabbing route altogether you can just move into further hybridization with long blade and charms.

You were right, confuse is great. Until monsters get good MR and have 0% chance. What's the way to handle those? Summons?

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/taqueso/taqueso.txt

e: I found a quickblade of distortion in this game, too. I guess I should use it? If I'm going to use a weapon I don't want to unequip, maybe I should change to ash?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you want to continue down the Hexes route then you'll want Mass Confusion and Discord. Otherwise summons is your go-to distraction with your pivot point typically being Summon Mana Viper. For 3 runes Shadow Creatures is all you need.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I actually don't have access to any of those spells.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

..Then Invisibility and/or further hybridization?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Thanks to the Discord for walking me through Zot for my first win!

code:
1571115 RyokoTK the Conqueror (level 27, 281/281 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Nov 25, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 06:52:29 (96110 turns).

RyokoTK the Conqueror (Minotaur Fighter)           Turns: 96110, Time: 06:52:30

Health: 281/281    AC: 48    Str: 24    XL:     27
Magic:  32/32      EV: 27    Int: 14    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   6629       SH:  0    Dex: 29    Spells: 26/26 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    f - +7 great mace of Twilight {venom, rC+ MR+ Stlth+}
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    l - +6 gold dragon scales
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    P - +2 hat
rElec  .          Reflect  .    W - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Harm     +    K - +2 pair of gloves of Okawaru's Regard {Int+3}
MR     +++++      Rnd*Rage +    V - +2 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth  ..........               X - amulet of the Empty Page {Harm *Drain +Inv Dex+6}
                                y - ring "Gigech" {*Contam +Blink MR++ Int+6 Dex+3}
                                U - +5 ring of slaying

@: slightly contaminated
A: retaliatory headbutt, claws 1, hooves 1, horns 2, rugged brown scales 1,
berserk 1
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Invisibility

You escaped.
You worshipped Okawaru.
Okawaru was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and saw 53 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer, Ice Cave and Wizlab.

You collected 9453 gold pieces.
You spent 2824 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +9 great mace of holy wrath
 b - the +7 shortbow of Wyaleits {speed, rC++}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   

Attacks with this weapon are significantly faster.

It greatly protects you from cold.
 f - the +7 great mace of Twilight (weapon) {venom, rC+ MR+ Stlth+}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 3 of the Depths)   

It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.

It protects you from cold.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It makes you more stealthy.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
An amulet of reflection 4-6 is the amulet I will prefer almost every single game. Only randarts with good resists will replace it.

I like harm a whole lot also, but I tend to play so fast and loose it can tend to get me killed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

World Famous W posted:

An amulet of reflection 4-6 is the amulet I will prefer almost every single game. Only randarts with good resists will replace it.

I like harm a whole lot also, but I tend to play so fast and loose it can tend to get me killed.

Do you use it even if you don't have a shield and thus 4-6 is as high as you'll ever get it?

I've heard both answers to that: that it's even more valuable if you don't because any SH is better than 0, or that it's less valuable without a big SH for tons of reflects.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yep. 4 to 6 shield is still damage I ain't taking. I would always prefer to avoid damage then be able to heal quicker from it.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

If you want to continue down the Hexes route then you'll want Mass Confusion and Discord. Otherwise summons is your go-to distraction with your pivot point typically being Summon Mana Viper. For 3 runes Shadow Creatures is all you need.

Mass Confusion was sadly removed.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Holy poo poo that flaming scimitar hits hard.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I did a crawl LP aimed at beginners a few years ago and it's pretty outdated now so I've started one for .19. Probably people who follow this thread won't get too much out of it, but feel free to shoot me whatever feedback and share it with non-crawlers in your life.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Did killer klown korpses (:v:) always cycle between their different forms?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Carcer posted:

Did killer klown korpses (:v:) always cycle between their different forms?

Nope, that was changed when they became their own species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've found 3 wands of heal wounds on this deep dwarf. Just hit Lair.

It's taunting me.

• Locked thread