Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

So Kingdom Death Monster is back on Kickstarter and after only 1 hour has raised 1.8 million. 256 morons have backed the $1,666 level that includes the core game and all expansions. Estimated delivery date is DECEMBER 2020. :lol:

This hobby is full of loving idiot nerds with too much money I swear.

As this is now past 3.2 million, This seems like it is going to be the biggest board games/ minis kickstarter ever. Average pledge is 430 + shipping.

Bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

I see. Eldritch Horror is popular amongst my friends. Are any games good?

We don't have "fun" with "good" games here. We appreciate the intricate and complex dance of a well balanced wooden system.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Recommend me a game based on liking Eldritch Horror, Discworld and Tobago.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Boz0r posted:

Robinson Crusoe?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boz0r posted:

Russian Roulette.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did a solo game of AFfO last ngiht. Not posting score - I'm invalidating due to misunderstanding one thing about scoring. Will report after one more try.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Boz0r posted:

Arkham Horror LCG (2 cores if you want to play with 3-4 people)
Mansions of Madness 2nd edition

I don't know anything about the second two games so i'm just going off the first frankly

Oh buy Codenames too
And Pandemic Legacy

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Chiming in to say as well: Shadows of Brimstone is hot garbage rear end.
And I love trashy dice-chucky games.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I took Faroe Islands last game in a 3 player go and came out with a terrible score (54 I think) in the end, but it wasn't the fault of the island!

In fact, I got +12 points just from sheep alone (purchased one, the rest from the island bonus and just let them ride.) I always had plenty of money, and I developed the whole island which gave me more goods than I knew what to do with, in a bad way actually. I ended up with a ton of waste.

I had aimed to cover all the -1s on my main board, which I almost did (I had -2 only I think) at the expense of income which remained at 2 on my main board (but 5 on Faroe).

But come end of the game I had over 50 squares worth of tiles I was unable to place anywhere and twenty-some silver just hanging around. I should have explored more so I had somewhere to put my extra tiles, I should have used that silver to emigrate for an easy +12 points if I emigrated both my ships (which I wasn't using in the last round anyway -- p.s. +12 because emigrating increases the ship value by +13 but would have cost me 7 silver per emigration in the last round), I should have used that silver also to purchase at least one of my ships outright (saving the action) earlier in the game, and a couple other things. I had no other exploration, I had no buildings.

I had a poor score compared to my usual but it wasn't because Faroe is poison, it's because I played dumb :colbert:

Genuinely curious how you did this? Also, how the hell did you tile up Faroe Island quick enough to start taking advantage of the sheep bonus??

I love FfO so far but I am still struggling to figure out how the gently caress you guys are ending up with tons of extra tiles and cash and regretting not exploring more islands.

EDIT: Also, Canucks (and Yanks with your 36% currency discount), 401 is having a "black friday" sale, that is 10% off all games. It's not a yuge sale but better than nothing and I had to wait until boxing day last year for this. Just in case you were looking to pick up something up and were on the fence. Doesn't work on pre-orders though, like for The Colonists.

EDIT 2: BGB is having their sale. It's on select items AND if you order $100 it's 5% off, and at $250 it's 10% off. The sale section itself is a bit underwhelming but there are a couple of things there and they've got a more comprehensive collection than 401.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 25, 2016

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

And Pandemic Legacy

Isn't that very similar to Eldritch Horror?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Boz0r posted:

Not at all, no.

EDIT: I mean, the similarities are very tangential: they are both based on a dot-to-dot map where you move around and deal with issues, but they way they handle things is completely different and Legacy adds a lot more since you have to permanently change your board.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Boz0r posted:

They both are co-op and your players run around on a map of the world. Other than that they are not similar at all.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

We spent Thanksgiving with a bunch of people who enjoy light-medium boardgames and had the chance to play Secret Hitler for the first time.

It's surprisingly solid, although they clearly just took Resistance and piled some more rules on top. The only real problem I saw with the gameplay is the situation where the President can choose who will be President next. In one of our games this reset the turn order so far that 1 player never had the chance to be President before she was shot, which really limited her overall input.

The artwork and component quality is top notch. Our host is an illustrator, so in addition to good games, he buys a lot of mediocre and bad games just because they look beautiful. He has every one of the tiny boxes put out by Oink Games from Japan and let me tell you, these things are gorgeous! The only ones I've played before are A Fake Artist Goes To New York (it's good) and Deep Sea Adventure (simple press your luck), but he recommended Dungeon of Mandom and Insider. Anyone have any experience with the rest of their catalog?

Also of purely artistic note: he owns a 1978 copy of Cosmic Encounter!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Boz0r posted:

Which Discworld game? There are at least 4 of them...

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

played a 5 player game of mansions of madness last night with my mom, stepdad, sister, and gf. it went really well! i enjoy it a lot more than eldritch horror, even though it still has "screw you" moments. its a lot easier to teach and does the whole "storytelling" thing a lot better than eldritch horror too. sucks knowing that i'll have to buy more expansions/DLC since there are only 4 scenarios in the app

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Zark the Damned posted:

Which Discworld game? There are at least 4 of them...

Ank-Morpork.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

played a 5 player game of mansions of madness last night with my mom, stepdad, sister, and gf. it went really well! i enjoy it a lot more than eldritch horror, even though it still has "screw you" moments. its a lot easier to teach and does the whole "storytelling" thing a lot better than eldritch horror too. sucks knowing that i'll have to buy more expansions/DLC since there are only 4 scenarios in the app

I can't wait to get my extra scenarios for MoM

Because I bought 1st edition MoM by accident. Hopefully £70 DLC is worth it :saddowns:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Boz0r posted:

Ank-Morpork.

Get Chaos in the Old World if you like territory control games with asymmetrical roles (not hidden roles like in Ankh-Morpork though)

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

CaptainRightful posted:

It's surprisingly solid, although they clearly just took Resistance and piled some more rules on top. The only real problem I saw with the gameplay is the situation where the President can choose who will be President next. In one of our games this reset the turn order so far that 1 player never had the chance to be President before she was shot, which really limited her overall input.

I don't know if this is a house rule or the actual rules but we've always played that as a special round and play continues as normal afterwards. For example assuming president was passing 1 > 2 > 3 > 4. President #3 plays the law that lets them pick, they pick president #1 and then after #1 gets voted out our passes their law it's #4's turn as usual.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 25, 2016

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

If you can find Chaos in the Old World at a reasonable price that is.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm looking to buy a new game for Christmas. I read the op and I like Carcassonne but we already have Settlers of Catan won't it be too similar?
Otherwise I'm thinking about Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends which looks fun also. Any other suggestions? We usually are two players

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Boz0r posted:

Harsh. Any games in the similar genre that are better?

Descent 2nd edition with the new app does co-op dungeon exploration well and is already out. I cannot say enough about how much better the app makes the game. It went from being a poorly balanced 1 vs many game of cheesy, gamey bullshit that no one I knew (including myself) would ever play again to a legit awesome dungeon crawl that frankly surpasses everything in the genre that came before. FFG nailed this one. I cannot wait to see if/when they do the same thing to Imperial Assault.

As for the Shadows of Brimstone games, definitely watch a little gameplay on youtube. I was excited until I watched a round and now you couldn't pay me to go through a campaign. It looks very, very random and worse than that, the Flying Flog kind of random where you draw a card that makes you roll dice, that make you draw from a different deck, that puts a monster in a random location that of course makes you roll a shitload of dice and afterwards you get to celebrate by rolling dice to see if you draw a random reward card. Oh, and you better believe you'll be rolling to move. I'm not even one of the randomness haters in this thread - I just want my randomness to be quick so I spend more time making decisions than rolling dice. Don't make me draw, roll, draw again and roll once more when I could have just drawn a loving card.

You can also wait for Gloomhaven, Swords and Sorcery or any of the other games trying to be the new Warhammer Quest. Gloomhaven in particular looks to be a really solid game that doesn't fall prey to the usual kickstarter stuff of amazing miniatures and poo poo gameplay. The D&D adventure games are already out but are very, very meh. They have sweet components and are very charming at first glance but have so little depth that I couldn't really recommend them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Le0 posted:

I'm looking to buy a new game for Christmas. I read the op and I like Carcassonne but we already have Settlers of Catan won't it be too similar?
Otherwise I'm thinking about Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends which looks fun also. Any other suggestions? We usually are two players

Carc is better than settlers already (even though they don't have much in common aside from area control) and TK works best with 2 players high-form.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Le0 posted:

Nah, Cracassonne is completely different: it's a tile-laying game rather than a resource management one. I kind of like it but I'm not blown away by it. I don't think anyone will be disappointed by it. Tash-Kalar is my go-to 2P game and I really recommend it. Another good one I tried recently is 13 Days which is about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Le0 posted:

Carcassonne is nothing like Settlers of Catan. Carcassonne is about drawing and laying tiles to create a map, and seeding it with your followers to earn points as features get completed. Catan is a game about getting screwed over by dice and no-one trading with you.

Both Carcassonne and Tash Kalar are good choices for a new game. I'd say Carc is simpler to learn, Tash Kalar has a more chess-like strategic depth once you get into it (so I've heard, I've not played it that much yet).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Le0 posted:

Carcassonne isn't at all like Settlers of Catan, if it looks good to you pick it up without delay. Should be pretty cheap too.

For two players the best games are usually card games. Netrunner, Race for the Galaxy, Mage Wars, Magic, etc.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

MAge Wars is great, even if its a pain to get to the table because of having to set up the "decks" before we play.

I should really do some pre-created ones.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zark the Damned posted:

Tash Kalar has a more chess-like strategic depth once you get into it (so I've heard, I've not played it that much yet).

TK is boardgame-y Go.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Also, how fun is Betrayal at House on the Hill?

We don't use that word round these here parts.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

TK is boardgame-y Go.

It's Magic the Go-thering.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Has anyone else seen this this morning on Kickstarter and just felt sickened by it?

I KNOW people can spend their money on what they want etc., I'm not saying anyone is WRONG to back it... but I am... but I'm not.

I don't really know what to make of it all, but it just feels disgusting at some level, that people are buying a card game with mini's for literally more than a thousand pounds (the highest level pledge that is, the Satan one. I know the core game is available for much less - but still an obscene amount for a game!).

Sure, I dislike mini's games in general. I find CMON's mountains of boxes of plastic vulgar and tacky. I don't play the games much so can't really comment on the game inside, but generally hear they're thinner than you'd really want. But all that... that's fine. A hundred quid here or there, fine whatever.

But this... Just so messed up. Something wrong. How anyone can ever justify backing this I honestly don't understand.

Money means different things to different people of course. 1%ers all over the world tonight will be spending WAY more than that for a bottle of wine with their meals. But that's someone else's world. That's not "real". This is real, and very much in my world on a daily basis, and I can't, and don't want to understand it for a second. I could afford it comfortably, I wouldn't miss the money really. But that single card game costs as much as a decent enough family car, a summer holiday, laser eye surgery... And it's ONE game. One that'll go on your shelf next to the other 10, 100, 1000 you already have.

That's just obscene.

Please don't tell me I'm wrong, there's just no need. As above, it's a free world, capitalism rules and all, I get it. Obviously it's "fine", whatever that means. It's just how I, and I hope, many many other people *feel*.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boz0r posted:

Also, how fun is Betrayal at House on the Hill?

Fun is highly variable in Betrayal, which is a huge problem it has. The game can potentially hit on all cylinders, and you can have a competitive final haunt. What often happens is that it's super lopsided (the traitor has a nearly impossible task, or they're so powerful by chance that it's a cakewalk). The instructions are also poorly written, massive, and with so much errata that at times is contradictory that it's a serious pain in the rear end to play. At its heart Betrayal is a cool concept, but there are better games that do similar co-op or 1-v-many gameplay much more effectively.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Eldritch Horror is cool. Catan and Carcasonne aren't similar enough at all that getting one means you shouldn't get the other. I don't really like betrayal because you can have games where nothing you do matters in the slightest and the traitor or protagonists get stomped, but plenty of people enjoy it as an experience generator.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EBag posted:

Has anyone else seen this this morning on Kickstarter and just felt sickened by it?

I KNOW people can spend their money on what they want etc., I'm not saying anyone is WRONG to back it... but I am... but I'm not.

I don't really know what to make of it all, but it just feels disgusting at some level, that people are buying a card game with mini's for literally more than a thousand pounds (the highest level pledge that is, the Satan one. I know the core game is available for much less - but still an obscene amount for a game!).

Sure, I dislike mini's games in general. I find CMON's mountains of boxes of plastic vulgar and tacky. I don't play the games much so can't really comment on the game inside, but generally hear they're thinner than you'd really want. But all that... that's fine. A hundred quid here or there, fine whatever.

But this... Just so messed up. Something wrong. How anyone can ever justify backing this I honestly don't understand.

Money means different things to different people of course. 1%ers all over the world tonight will be spending WAY more than that for a bottle of wine with their meals. But that's someone else's world. That's not "real". This is real, and very much in my world on a daily basis, and I can't, and don't want to understand it for a second. I could afford it comfortably, I wouldn't miss the money really. But that single card game costs as much as a decent enough family car, a summer holiday, laser eye surgery... And it's ONE game. One that'll go on your shelf next to the other 10, 100, 1000 you already have.

That's just obscene.

Please don't tell me I'm wrong, there's just no need. As above, it's a free world, capitalism rules and all, I get it. Obviously it's "fine", whatever that means. It's just how I, and I hope, many many other people *feel*.

If you find mindless consumerism unfulfilling, maybe trying making your board games out of cereal boxes? :getin:

sector_corrector posted:

Fun is highly variable in Betrayal, which is a huge problem it has. The game can potentially hit on all cylinders, and you can have a competitive final haunt. What often happens is that it's super lopsided (the traitor has a nearly impossible task, or they're so powerful by chance that it's a cakewalk). The instructions are also poorly written, massive, and with so much errata that at times is contradictory that it's a serious pain in the rear end to play. At its heart Betrayal is a cool concept, but there are better games that do similar co-op or 1-v-many gameplay much more effectively.

I ran 25 solo test games of Betrayal, to see how often it produced an "interesting" scenario. Only happened 3 times out of the 25. Betrayal is bad!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 25, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How is the Warhammer card co op game thing

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

How is the Warhammer card co op game thing

the dice in that game can gently caress off. and out of all the games i've played of it, the enemies really seem to have the edge.

maybe im just bad at the game, but it was kind of a "meh" for me. that and there wont be anymore support for it from ffg

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Boz0r posted:

Recommend me a game based on liking Eldritch Horror, Discworld: Ankh Morporkand Tobago.

What is it you like about each of those games? It may help narrow things down a bit. I'm not sure if there's really a single game which could be recommended as they are all pretty different.

I've no experience with Tobago so can't speak for it.

Lords of Waterdeep has a similar 'hidden roles vying for power over the city' theme as Ankh Morpork but is otherwise a fairly basic worker placement game.

If it's the asymmetrical area control mechanics you like from Ankh Morpork, maybe look into Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars or Cthulhu Wars. The last one has the advantages of still being in print and matching thematically with Eldritch Horror, but the disadvantages of being expensive and hungry for space. These are all more wargamey rather than being political, with more direct confrontation.

If you're more after co-ops, try out Pandemic, the Warhammer Quest ACG (if you can track down a copy), or either the LOTR or Call of Cthulu LCGs (Man I just realised FFG makes / made a lot of co-op card games). LOTR is currently the most expansive of these but is also the most customisable.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Is the base building interesting? The videos I've seen mostly skip it, and the combat is boring roll to hit, roll to wound, roll for save GW stuff. The decisiones during the base building also seem boring ("Do you want a knife with +1 to hit or a knife with +2 to hit that may break randomly?").

Admittedly I've only seen the first 2 games because it seemed boring as gently caress.

Basic gear is pretty mediocre so it takes at least a proper non-tutorial fight and the building you get from it to get going. Hope you are ready for an effort post about a game no one here plays!

At home the choices are about how you want to spend the really limited amount of resources you get after every fight, both in the shape of materials and "endeavors" which are kind of like sparks of creativity. You get to choose whatever innovations your not-cavemen can come up with (which entails going up a tech tree of sorts as whatever you invent causes more innovations), craft gear with different bonuses and make new buildings that allow you to craft more stuff or sometimes perform special actions.

To start, innovations are really important because they give benefits to all survivors and often increase the total survival points your guys can accrue as well (them being a spendable resource you can use to perform special combat actions). Innovations can do anything from allowing survivors to do new things in combat to becoming methods with which to cure mental disorders/grievous wounds or even let new survivors inherit things from their parents once families are established. Now, the innovations you get come from a random choice of two every settlement phase and are drawn from a deck that gets bigger with each innovation, so pretty much every settlement will always have pretty different technological advances from another.

Gear is more simple. There's weapons, armor, jewelry and misc accessories. There's tons of it, they all give different bonuses and can often bestow more when combined with other pieces of gear either as part of a set or with "affinities". The latter involves a grid, which is a character's inventory, and placing the gear tokens in a certain order with the hope of matching halves of little colored blocks printed on the sides of the cards, as doing that enables special abilities. All in all and besides the usual miniature combat stats, gear also has ton of special rules that makes different weapons better suited to do different stuff or in the most extreme cases even let you manipulate the decks of cards that partly rule combat.

Buidings are the most mundane. You build them, they let you build more stuff and let you use more endeavor to do things like make survivors share stories and teach each other. They too have a tech tree of sorts as building something like a skinnery will let you build a leather worker and things like that but there's really no involved mechanics.

Lastly it's the system that ties everything together and that's the choice of principles for your society. When certain events happen the game lets you choose in which direction your culture develops and that means things like deciding whether to honor your dead with graves or harvesting their carcasses for resources; Nurturing children with affection or push them into training from childhood so they are no easy pickings in the game's monster-filled world and so on. Principles are just a handful of choices but they rule EVERYTHING since they determine how you roll for new survivors, what do they get when they are born and how you get resources as well as spend them. The end result is that depending on what you are doing your settlement might grow weak, practically disposable characters but gain a lot whenever someone dies or you might have a bunch of meat-headed, ham-handed barbarians that are not quite right in the head but are hardy enough to hopefully survive battles and make up for all the deaths and lack of gear caused by your primitive ways. It practically shapes the campaign and, while you will always be hurting for something, it ensures that you'll desperately need different things from one game to the other.

I know all that because I got curious about the game a couple weeks ago and found out a friend that actually does have the drat thing. Problem is we are a continent apart so we ended up playing on Tabletop Sim while she reads from the manual but it's been really fun so far and contains about 120% less rape than goons assured me it would have. Just this morning we put money in for the new kickstarter and look forward to getting the updated rule set and all the advanced content book.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

the dice in that game can gently caress off. and out of all the games i've played of it, the enemies really seem to have the edge.

maybe im just bad at the game, but it was kind of a "meh" for me. that and there wont be anymore support for it from ffg

I actually thought the dice were great. The way the player dice are set up you're almost guaranteed one success per die with the chance for exploding successes. I thought it was a neat way to keep a little randomness in the game that only really serves to occasionally unexpectedly help the heroes. Enemy dice are more swingy and potentially punishing, but the game gives you plenty of ways to mess with those.

As to the difficulty, I felt the same way until I started treating Aid as the default action. After that, it was almost too easy.

The lack of support going forwards is sadly true though. I had a mixed impression at first, ended up loving the game after a few plays and now that it's dead I can only hope one day we get Terrinoth Quest: The Card Game.

It's totally worth the $20 it's probably going for now that FFG is trying to clear out all their inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Rutibex posted:

If you find mindless consumerism unfulfilling, maybe trying making your board games out of cereal boxes? :getin:

I smell an Etsy project, Kingdom Death: Mueslix