Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

jammyozzy posted:

Welcome to the UK. :unsmigghh:

No but for real, every house I've ever lived in has had copper plumbed natural gas and I never even thought about it until just now when you prompted me to google it.

Australia is the same. I found this out when I was up in my roof, and trying to figure out why there were so many copper pipes. Turned out to just be a mis-mash of hot water and gas, each in identically sized pipes with no labels on anything. There's no way to tell which is which, other than just cranking on the hot water taps and feeling the pipes that get hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JBark posted:

Australia is the same. I found this out when I was up in my roof, and trying to figure out why there were so many copper pipes. Turned out to just be a mis-mash of hot water and gas, each in identically sized pipes with no labels on anything. There's no way to tell which is which, other than just cranking on the hot water taps and feeling the pipes that get hot.

Simple to tell, really.

Compare the specific heat of the two pipes. The one carrying water will have a far higher one!

To test by hand, of course, you'll need to apply a small, intense heat source like a blowtorch. :byoscience:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

there wolf posted:

When my dad was working for the auto plant, they had this guy who did electrical maintenance for the shop floor whose preferred method for testing a live wire was tapping it with a screw driver and seeing if he felt a tingle. One day he got a call order to check out something on a line that was not running (by not running I mean it was not in operation which meant there was no one around.) He starts poking around with his screwdriver among the power supply for industrial welding robots, and what do you know he gets a shock. A big one that makes his fingers clench and his arm jump, burying that screwdriver right in his chest. They didn't find the body till shift change.

I'm well aware this could all be bullshit, but if you weren't lucky enough to have a dad that would get drunk and tell you tales of industrial horror about the plant then that's your loss

my dad likes to tell me tales of injuries hes heard while he's doing similar things. never gonna drill into a wall without a breaker thing after walking outside one day to find him drilling a wall, only to turn off the drill and tell me how someone he went to school with died after drilling into a power line by accident

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Simple to tell, really.

Compare the specific heat of the two pipes. The one carrying water will have a far higher one!

To test by hand, of course, you'll need to apply a small, intense heat source like a blowtorch. :byoscience:

And given that gas only burns in the presence of oxygen, you can happily take a blowtorch to a gas pipe for a short amount of time. So long as you don't do it on a join where you might melt the solder...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Virginia suburbs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

Aww, he dressed up his McMansion for Renn Faire

Edit: The truck didn't get dressed up because it didn't want to go in the first place.

Actually it did, but the other trucks would laugh at it for admitting that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

I hope it is at least actual stone.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

It looks like a converted 1960s school building.

E: or that \/

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 25, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

McNational Guard Armory

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

So I was going to respond with a picture of a local castle house, a puny one-story ranch fitted out with crenelations, but apparently there is another more famous castle house around!

It has a swimming pool that doubles as a moat, and according to legend a mostly subterranean living space. Go big or go home, Virginia suburbs.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

there wolf posted:

So I was going to respond with a picture of a local castle house, a puny one-story ranch fitted out with crenelations, but apparently there is another more famous castle house around!

It has a swimming pool that doubles as a moat, and according to legend a mostly subterranean living space. Go big or go home, Virginia suburbs.

I can't find any pictures of the moat in your post.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HardDiskD posted:

I can't find any pictures of the moat in your post.

It's there.

https://goo.gl/maps/qHMKrZScJ742

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That reminds me of this cock-end:

and the dumbass castle he built on his farm.

Under UK law (or at least the regulations in the area) buildings that have been standing for 4 or more years without any complaints are considered to have valid planning permission - it saves a lot of hassle with old buildings that may not have paperwork, and generally means that for rural areas if your neighbours are happy you can get away with small things without worrying too much about it.

So this genius decides to build his house behind a giant wall of hay bales, then leave it for 4 years.

Once the hay bales were removed his neighbours were pretty upset, to which he said "haha, tricked you! It's been there for four years so it's legal."

The council then replied "lol, gently caress off" and bulldozed it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wolfsbane posted:

Once the hay bales were removed his neighbours were pretty upset, to which he said "haha, tricked you! It's been there for four years so it's legal."

The council then replied "lol, gently caress off" and bulldozed it.
I mean, that's obviously the dumbest thing he could have ever tried, but what exactly was everyone's issue with the building? It doesn't look particularly large or garish.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

I mean, that's obviously the dumbest thing he could have ever tried, but what exactly was everyone's issue with the building? It doesn't look particularly large or garish.

If I were on the council I'd have had it removed simply on principle of the owner being a gigantic cock. As I recall they ruled that the removal of the haybales constituted a large enough modification to the property to require papers.

Anyway, we can't see the interior and have no idea how competently it was made. The kind of guy that things they can sneak around government regulations is probably not the kind of guy that builds properly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

They even have a little courtyard.

And the back turrets are garages and they have drawbridges for the cars. :iia:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's green belt land, so no new development without meeting pretty strict rules. Plus it's not the sort of precedent you really want to allow as a local planning board.

I tried to find pictures of the interior, but there don't seem to be a lot out there:

It looks OK to me (not my taste, but competently done), but I'm far from an expert.

e: He also tried to stop it being torn down on the grounds that there were endangered bats living there. Also that he'd sold it to an Indian businessman, so it wasn't his to tear down any more.

e2: more inside shots here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-35121380

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 25, 2016

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just noticed he seems to have several tanks on his property. I feel like he's not super into rules.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There was some bigass log house on a TV show today that cost something like 5 million bucks and it cut to the old dude who paid for that monster like "when our first heating bill came in it was over $1k!! That was way too expensive. So we decided to build $500k worth of solar panels!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That moat/pool doesn't look very safe to me. There is no fence or wall around the pool itself. There's a short fence around the property as a whole, but the stone pillars look easily climbable. If a neighborhood kid snuck in and drowned couldn't he be on the hook for having an attractive nuisance? Or, you know, just their own kids playing in the yard could easily fall in and drown.

I guess that's the price you have to pay to be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Slugworth posted:

Just noticed he seems to have several tanks on his property. I feel like he's not super into rules.

I hadn't noticed the tanks. They cause this to, imo, wrap back around. This dude's a free spirit who knows what he likes. Not to say he isn't a cock, but I'm self-aware enough to realize most of the contempt I feel is jealousy.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

That moat/pool doesn't look very safe to me. There is no fence or wall around the pool itself. There's a short fence around the property as a whole, but the stone pillars look easily climbable. If a neighborhood kid snuck in and drowned couldn't he be on the hook for having an attractive nuisance? Or, you know, just their own kids playing in the yard could easily fall in and drown.

I guess that's the price you have to pay to be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

It's suburban Georgia. The kids in those neighborhoods have a clubhouse pool to drown in instead.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhXKxEm8P_0

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

...and? How is this crappy?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kid sinister posted:

That's not how elevators are supposed to work.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

Imagine living in any of the apartments around that track.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thats a pretty light vehicle, it's probably no worse than a car driving by. It's not like it's a freight train or a even a big heavy metro. It's like a couple minivans on a monorail track.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Thats a pretty light vehicle, it's probably no worse than a car driving by. It's not like it's a freight train or a even a big heavy metro. It's like a couple minivans on a monorail track.

Just a half-dozen minivans on a monorail track driving through your neighbour's apartment, built to the most stringent second-world noise and safety standards, every 5-10 minutes. Sounds great. I'm sure after the first couple weeks you'd hardly notice it any more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those could be offices, and the track actually looks pretty isolated from the building structure. It could really depend on how the track is supported and tied in, but if it just floats like a bridge through the building rather than sitting on top that floor's slab, it might be fine. Otherwise it would be like my friend who had a house where an old concrete road used to turn like 100 years ago. The road moved but they just built the house on top of the old concrete road, which was still connected structurally to the new road, so any time a bus or truck went by their house shook like crazy to the point of cracks forming. The city had to finally come and dig a trench and jack-hammer a break along their lot line.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIWUqJRUd7A

First time I saw this thing whilst riding a train, I thought it was someone's idea of art. In reality, it's kind of a Japanese spite-building, but done in the kind of begrudgingly polite bureaucratic style that pervades Japanese spite outside of things like Pearl Harbor. Also they engineered it with noise reduction as a priority, which makes me wonder who gets the really cool offices where you can see all the cars driving underneath, and how much more awesome those offices must be.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gate-tower-building

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dillbag posted:

Just a half-dozen minivans on a monorail track driving through your neighbour's apartment, built to the most stringent second-world noise and safety standards, every 5-10 minutes. Sounds great. I'm sure after the first couple weeks you'd hardly notice it any more.

Also, my doctor drove the Monorail while she was in college. She once got stuck over Lake Buena Vista in a lightning storm and refused to drive there ever again.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 26, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Also, my doctor drove the Monorail while she was in college. She once got stuck over Lake Buena Vista in a lightning storm and refused to drive there ever again.

Oh is that when she decided to become a doctor instead of a monorail driver?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

"I can't take the Ogdenville to Shelbyville runs anymore, I'm going to medical school!"

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Oh dear its me - I just filled in some small holes in my livingroom walls and only when I finished did I then notice I used ready mixed tiling grout instead of polyfilla (spackle) :ohdear: The tubes do look pretty similar !

Assuming it dries and can be sanded then I'll just go with the flow and paint over it :v:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
DC has at least one road through an office building on a non surface level floor. Is it not that common?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Baconroll posted:

Oh dear its me - I just filled in some small holes in my livingroom walls and only when I finished did I then notice I used ready mixed tiling grout instead of polyfilla (spackle) :ohdear: The tubes do look pretty similar !

Assuming it dries and can be sanded then I'll just go with the flow and paint over it :v:

It's going to be a little harder to sand but it should be just fine, are we talking like nail holes or doorknob holes?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NancyPants posted:

"I can't take the Ogdenville to Shelbyville runs anymore, I'm going to medical school!"

She worked at Disney while doing pre-med in Orlando. After the lightning storm thing they switched her into finance. Then her college dropped the medical program she was working towards and she had to leave Orlando to pursue whatthefuckever-ology.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

A few more...

https://imgur.com/gallery/mVm0J

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This thing on my dad's house worries me.

The end of that 4x12 beam rotted off, so somebody.... bolted two 2x6s to it, put *something* in the space where the end used to be, then slapped quarter inch plywood over it to hide their shame?

I don't know how you'd actually replace that beam, anyway, I think the entire second floor of the house sits on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't that's typically how you're going to repair beam ends? You cut off the rot and then sister another one over and past the damage. The fasteners are huge gently caress-off carriage bolts and aren't going anywhere soon.

The only question I'd have is the 2x6's, but it's not like that part needing the repair is holding up anything other than that tiny balcony. The support beam simply extends past the house to act as a cantilever for the balcony.

I'd be more concerned with the Prince of Darkness-level poo poo with the bugs in the second picture.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 27, 2016