Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've seen a Moroccan recipe for sheep's skull that included checking the eye sockets for maggots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Taco truck? Halal chicken and rice? Hot pretzels? Roasted chestnuts (or other nuts)? Grilled cheese? Big Gay Ice Cream?

US street food is awesome and, at least in Boston/NY/SF/LA/DC, the city inspects the hell out of the trucks.

I'm :corsair: and have never once gotten food poisoning from street food in the US, though I've gotten it from white-tablecloth restaurants.

You are missing out, my friend.

Street food is loving good as hell. Except Nuts 4 Nuts they always taste burnt.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think, as with all things, there is a range in quality in the category. There's the established food trucks that are basically mobile professional restaurants, and there's the guy selling questionable fish in the middle of a forest. I run into the latter a lot more often.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Semisponge posted:

I've seen a Moroccan recipe for sheep's skull that included checking the eye sockets for maggots.

Yea, you wanna save those for later. Their a waste in the sheep's skull recipe.

Also highly recommended, Scab Salad.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have fish but here's a guy selling sketchy sheep out of a van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_jMMgyDMw&t=152s

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Street food in east Asia fulfills the same niche as drivethru fast food in the States, except it's a lot tastier on average

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Dark meat turkey and ham on sourdough with green bean casserole, instant cheddar mashed potatoes, and Swiss.

It was ugly enough for this thread but also too beautiful for this world.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dogfish posted:

If you don't like vermouth, why don't you just drink a drink with no vermouth in it? Surely it's legal to just chill and drink gin if that's what you like?

Putting vermouth in first coats the ice in vermouth and just pouring out the vermouth afterward doesn't meab you pour out all the vermouth, just that most of it is gone with enough left over to leave the flavor in the drink. Adding the gin to that vermouthy ice will get you a very cold martini that definitely tastes like it has vermouth without having it overpower the taste of a good gin. Leaving the two mixed always tastes overwhelmingly like vermouth to me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
An 1890s style martini with one part gin to one part vermouth is actually very good with a good vermouth (not Martini and Rossi, despite the name).

A 1950s style martini with six parts gin to one part vermouth is also good, and it's not as important to have a really good vermouth.

Gin with a vermouth wash is also good, and if that's your idea of a perfect martini, enjoy that. It's delicious. No rules.

But definitely try the older versions at least once, just to get a sense of the evolution of the cocktail over 120+ years.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can we institute a single martini rule that a martini can never resemble pizza?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
So no olives on yours.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Olives are fine, I just don't want someone making a twee pizza martini where there's a dough base, a vodka/tomato based liquor in the middle, and a cheese/vermuth oil substance on top with a pepperoni for garnish.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I like martinis when they're room temp vodka poured over a glass of ice and blue cheese stuffed olives

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I like martinis with a lemon twist. gently caress olives

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Dry martini" is alcoholic code for "Gimme a gin/vodka double but don't charge me the price of a double, I'm here to get blasted cheaply."

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Neutral spirits on ice with some salty fermented snacks is the best drinking experience imho

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

"Dry martini" is alcoholic code for "Gimme a gin/vodka double but don't charge me the price of a double, I'm here to get blasted cheaply."

Where are you drinking where a martini costs less than a double vodka? I'm on my way.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sports posted:

Neutral spirits on ice with some salty fermented snacks is the best drinking experience imho

it's actually sipping fine, room temperature tequila or whiskey/slamming back beers and greasy food

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sports posted:

Most gins I've had gave been clear, sure, but I wouldn't describe them as neutral. People have taken the natural flavors of gin and gone off the wall with them. It's great because there are fantastic gin tastes from cucumber to heavy spices, but awful because trying a blind martini from someone can let you know that some gins do not mix with dry vermouth... but taste great with sweet vermouth.

AlbieQuirky posted:

An 1890s style martini with one part gin to one part vermouth is actually very good with a good vermouth (not Martini and Rossi, despite the name).

A 1950s style martini with six parts gin to one part vermouth is also good, and it's not as important to have a really good vermouth.

Gin with a vermouth wash is also good, and if that's your idea of a perfect martini, enjoy that. It's delicious. No rules.

But definitely try the older versions at least once, just to get a sense of the evolution of the cocktail over 120+ years.

What's a good vermouth? I generally only have access to Martini Dry/Sweet

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Semisponge posted:

Yeah you check the eye sockets, nasal passages and the whole sinus system. Theres this rather annoying pest of a fly that lays its eggs inside the nasal passages of sheep. It really ruins your appetite when you crack open the head and you find the gently steamed remains of some super fat maggots.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah you check the eye sockets, nasal passages and the whole sinus system. Theres this rather annoying pest of a fly that lays its eggs inside the nasal passages of sheep. It really ruins your appetite when you crack open the head and you find the gently steamed remains of some super fat maggots.

So when you find them, do you just throw out the head or is this one of those things where you just have to clean out the maggots most of the time and it will be fine to cook?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wait, so you don't eat the gently steamed super fat maggots?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I figured if you were at the 'cracking the skull open' phase very little would bother you.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

At worst it's extra protein :shrug:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

drrockso20 posted:

So when you find them, do you just throw out the head or is this one of those things where you just have to clean out the maggots most of the time and it will be fine to cook?

That specific maggot only feeds on mucus, so normally, no. Its just a hell of a put off.
Tongue, cheeks and brains are the 'prime' bits on a head anyways.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you telling us there's a fly that picks sheep's noses

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Nature is real loving weird.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thecluckmeme posted:

What's a good vermouth? I generally only have access to Martini Dry/Sweet

Noilly Prat is a big step up from Martini and Rossi. Dolin is an excellent vermouth. There are some really interesting small-batch vermouths out there that are probably only available locally to the distillers, but a fancy liquor store would carry.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Dabir posted:

Are you telling us there's a fly that picks sheep's noses

Common pest of deer, too. Called deer nose bots.

Unlike some other types of bot fly they just eat mucus and irritate the deer to get sneezed out when they're ready to go. Gross but harmless.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Introducing, the Mac n Cheese martini

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Missing the ketchup 0/10

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's like the universe heard my request for a pizza martini rule and decided to try a different food item instead.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

RandomPauI posted:

It's like the universe heard my request for a pizza martini rule and decided to try a different food item instead.

At least he can still get a pizza Margherita,

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Missing the ketchup 0/10

You're just supposed to wave the ketchup bottle at the drink or maybe in the general direction of canada, but not actually add any.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

At least he can still get a pizza Margherita,

Thank you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Shot in the dark on the pizza martini- if you did basil vodka in tomato juice with an olive garnish and a few Parmesan shavings....? maybe it wouldn't be horrible?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

Introducing, the Mac n Cheese martini

This is just disgraceful.

Edit: I really like cheese and also gin, but what the hell people? I do not care how much effort you put in. There are definitely martini rules.

fliptophead has a new favorite as of 11:45 on Nov 27, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are no martini rules seeing as no one on this earth can agree how much vermouth should be in one.

1.no pizza rules.
2.no martini rules.
3.The above can apply through the transitive property. i.e: if something is also a pizza or a martini rules that may have applied dont.

A pizza with olives is therefore a virgin martini

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 12:14 on Nov 27, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a food question but it's a "this is probably a horrible idea" type of food question which is why I'm asking it in here.

There are cheese tamales and desert tamales. Would it be possible to make a cheesecake tamale? Could you replace the masa or cut it with ground up graham crackers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011