Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the time Toriyama was a For Sure toku nerd was when he was a kid. So mid to late 60s.

Kamen Rider was made in 1971, riiiight on the cusp of him moving on with his life, which explains why there is very little inspiration in his work from Ishinomori. The biggest Rider reference I can think of, beyond Sayiaman's helmet, is the grasshopper monster from Sandland.

Sentai, starting with Go-Ranger, didn't come around until 1975 which would be a point in his life where he may have been aware of it but didn't give two shits about it. Hence why it gets aggressively parodied, while Ultraman doesn't. Early Sentai, the only Sentai I would expect him to be even slightly aware of, did not have combining robots of any sorts for years and years, instead they had team attacks.

Jeice and Burter themselves had a Sentai-style team attack that, ultimately, proved utterly useless.

And that is why the Ginyu Force doesn't have a giant robot as explained through cultural knowledge of a Japanese dude in his 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I always coincided the Ginyu force to be more of a Sailor Moon than Giant Robots.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

I always coincided the Ginyu force to be more of a Sailor Moon than Giant Robots.

Well now I'm curious which came first

As I thought can't be. Ginyu Force predates Sailor Moon by 2 years.

Sailor Moon is also just inspired by old school 70s Sentai and Cutie Honey something fierce.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You all talk about Jeice + Burter as if Dragon Ball Fusions didn't exist.

Burce and Reguldo. These four also got two regular Fusions, mixing the components:

Gulce and Recooter.

Dragon Ball Fusions is good if only because it shows the insanity nothing else will.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

now that the entire ginyu force is dead, a devoted frieza soldier from planet metamor revives them using dragon balls or something and teaches them the fusion dance, resulting in a 5-way fusion that lasts forever due to their flawless dance skills

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

my uncle works at akira toriyama and he says it's going to happen in super

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hjalmar posted:

now that the entire ginyu force is dead, a devoted frieza soldier from planet metamor revives them using dragon balls or something and teaches them the fusion dance, resulting in a 5-way fusion that lasts forever due to their flawless dance skills

The correct term for that is a Maxi Fusion, again from Dragon Ball Fusions. Although those only last for a single attack.

Any Maxi Fusion of the Ginyu Force in-game would create the Otherworlder (Male) form, but gently caress it, let us see something truly original, whoever is insane enough to try.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Said fusion actually DOES look like all of them combined, ironically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzH1CoFGMQ

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gulce and Recooter are super disappointing since they're the world 2 boss and you literally get maxi fusion right before you fight them so you just loving blow them up extra style

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Well now I'm curious which came first

As I thought can't be. Ginyu Force predates Sailor Moon by 2 years.

Sailor Moon is also just inspired by old school 70s Sentai and Cutie Honey something fierce.

Yeah, I also looked it up after posting that. I figured DBZ might be older, but I wasn't sure. They look like they are from the same era.

Zamasu is straight up a Sailor Moon villain though. Lives by a big magical tree, check. Loves roses and flowers, check. Vaguely and/or overtly homosexual, check. Wants to cleanse the universe for truth and justice, check. Cries a lot and melodramatic, check. Defeated by the power of friendship, check.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 25, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just now getting to the Cell saga in Kai and it's getting to this weird point where the actual script and the Abridged version aren't that different.

actual line from an episode preview:

Android 18 posted:

"It's me, Android 18! Wait, why am I still here?!"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Buttercream and Cheese Yogurt, the deadly gestalts of the Dairy Special Squadron.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jeice and Burter should have been called Juicer

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

StrifeHira posted:

Found this, needed to share it.

I love this so much

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rutibex posted:

Defeated by the power of friendship, check.

All friendship did was power him up and make him not only undefeatable, but gave him a form that the heroes couldn't even really fight against. Zeno beat him using the power of annoyance and pettiness.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zamasu achieved godhood by fusing with his best friend, who believed in him more than anyone else: himself

Friendship is powerful but just believe in yourself and you will consume the universe

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Friendship is powerful but just believe in yourself and you will be destroyed utterly by god

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kelp Plankton posted:

Zamasu achieved godhood by fusing with his best friend, who believed in him more than anyone else: himself

Friendship is powerful but just believe in yourself and you will consume the universe

It's nice that Trunks' cringey speech about friendship was proven false, and everything he knew and loved was completely destroyed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

StrifeHira posted:

Found this, needed to share it.

owns.

also ill probably buy db fusions.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Friendship Morals of the Arc:

1) Your best friend is yourself.

2) If you're going to have other friends, it's better to befriend omnipotent gods than orphans and fat people.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010
Everyone dies. The End. No Moral.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DB Fusions is really good except for some weird translation issues, so anyone reading this thread who has a 3DS should probably buy it ASAP

Yamcha's sad little quest to find someone strong who's willing to fuse with him was one of the highlights of the game. Also the Ginyu Force invented 5-man fusion which is really perfect

I set Arale as my street pass fusion character so now I just have to wait and see who she gets forced upon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

All friendship did was power him up and make him not only undefeatable, but gave him a form that the heroes couldn't even really fight against. Zeno beat him using the power of annoyance and pettiness.

That's true, up until the point Trunk chopped Zamuasu in half they still could have Mafuba his rear end. Trunks is once again responsible for the destruction of his world, and the orphan children helped seal their own fate.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Earlier someone mentioned that Namekians should be closer to the Kais. A while back I posted a tongue-in-cheek fanfic about Namekians being descendants of the dragon god Zalama, who created the Super Dragon Balls. Basically after Zalama created the Super Dragon Balls, he (or she? maybe they should be a goddess) gave birth to the first generation of Namekians, who were called the Dragon People back then. They multiplied and became an actual race, and they lived in the heavens with the other gods (the Kais and whoever else was there). Over time, some of them wanted to use the Super Dragon Balls to take over the universe, since they felt that the SDBs were their birthright as children of Zalama. But others refused to go along, and instead thought that they should only guard the SDBs. A civil war broke out and they were all nearly wiped out, but a tiny fraction remained when the war finally ended and the bad guys lost. However, the other gods decided to banish the Dragon People from the heavens anyway for their bloodshed. The Dragon People went down into the Lower Realm and ended up on an insignificant planet which they named Namek, after their word for garden, and they settled down and became a race of farmers. They adopted a pacifist and ascetic religion so that they could control their desires and cultivate themselves in the same way they cultivated the new planet they were on, basically becoming a race of Buddhist monks. They did this so that they could do away with the dark and selfish aspect of themselves which caused the civil war in the first place. After a thousand years and many generations of this, the Dragon People, now calling themselves Namekians, became much more enlightened and spiritual. Their wisest elders eventually re-discovered the ability to create Dragon Balls that their parent-god Zalama had used, and they requested permission from the Kais to create a new set of Dragon Balls. The Kais allowed this, on the condition that these new Dragon Balls be much less powerful, and that the secret of their creation be held by only one Namekian at a time, and carefully guarded. This was done and that's how the Namekian Dragon Balls were created. The lineage of Namekians who knew how to create Dragon Balls became known as the Dragon Clan.

So basically the Namekians are fallen dragon gods who became mortal but which still retain a hint of god ki. Piccolo can become relevant again by becoming the next Dragon God, or Dragon King.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

DB Fusions is really good except for some weird translation issues, so anyone reading this thread who has a 3DS should probably buy it ASAP

Yamcha's sad little quest to find someone strong who's willing to fuse with him was one of the highlights of the game. Also the Ginyu Force invented 5-man fusion which is really perfect

I set Arale as my street pass fusion character so now I just have to wait and see who she gets forced upon

what kind of game is it anyway? like a turn based jrpg? I never really understood what it was outside of the fusion gimmick

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

So basically the Namekians are fallen dragon gods who became mortal but which still retain a hint of god ki. Piccolo can become relevant again by becoming the next Dragon God, or Dragon King.

I'm sorry but only Saiyans are allowed to be relevant, and we already have too many of those to include them all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

what kind of game is it anyway? like a turn based jrpg? I never really understood what it was outside of the fusion gimmick

Yeah, with a field bit like a game of marbles. Basically everyone fights in teams of five and you can knock people into enemies to scatter them or you own dudes to kick then into other dudes to do more damage. You can also knock them out of the arena and if you do this when you KO them you get to learn their moves after the battle.

Its fun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They brought back future Trunks

Maybe they can bring back Relevant Piccolo

At least lift him up to top dog jobber rank :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Looking at the TFS website, we should be getting a new episode soon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zzulu posted:

They brought back future Trunks

Maybe they can bring back Relevant Piccolo

At least lift him up to top dog jobber rank :(

trunks technically won a fight (even if it is immediately invalidated next episode), so don't worry piccolo is already top jobber since gohan skipped out on the tournament to be a nerd

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Leviabeetus posted:

Everyone dies. The End. No Moral.

I didn't think it was without moral. Zamasu was put over the edge by being beaten by Goku, who is now technically a god but is, well ... Goku. His and Vegeta's love of fighting have propelled them to the highest levels of the cosmos, but they're still completely unprepared for the potential consequences of their pursuit of ultimate fighting power. The Zamasu arc going completely tits up in the worst way possible and only being resolved (and phyricly at that) by the literal divine intervention of the actual capital-G God was a good cautionary tale about the Saiyan's happy-go-lucky dabblings with the power of godhood, Goku and Vegeta are now going to have to start facing up to their responsibilities as the self-appointed Warrior Gods of Universe 7

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looking at the TFS website, we should be getting a new episode soon.

Quite
http://teamfourstar.com/dragonball-z-abridged-episode-56-deities-devils-and-doing-the-dirty/

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Zeno doesn't come across any more capital G God than any other Kai honestly. Not just because of his deliberately underwhelming design, but because there's multiple Zenos. The moral you're supposing about them needing to realise their loss being a cautionary tale is also undercut by the Zenos being even more carefree and naive than Goku and only sitting on top due to having even more power, at least in one specific area (universe destruction) than even a God of Destruction despite being even more oblivious to responsibility.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For some reason my favorite bit is the entirely normal last exchange between Goku and Bulma.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"...guys, don't tell her i'm here.."
That hit me deep in the molecular structure of my funny bone.

Thick episode, but pretty good.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 25, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The part with Gero's video...

I'm okay :(

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
lol sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not hugely into Dende's new characterisation.

Good ep overall though

• Locked thread