Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

this is me irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCf2ZZLHy-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
You know, I think of that bit a surprising amount when I think of RK gatcha.

People get rocks. :smith:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Like, the last thing I deliberately went for and actually got was Eiko's BSB but I remind myself constantly that I could very easily have not pulled it, nothing is more frustrating than saving for months and pulling blanks and this game panders to that rush of bitterness and desperation by always offering that next pull, why not buy some gems keep chasing that dragon!! It's unhealthy as gently caress and I really hate that part of FFRK

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

100 mythril on OK and now I have 4 White Mage Robes! (And one Gugnir :toot:) So am I better off with 2 6-star Robes or 1 7-star (to be reforged later) and 1 5-star?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Actually you might want to keep them entirely separate if you have a lot of holy beatdowns but no holy strengthening armor outside of the robes.

Otherwise, I'd generally vote for the 8*/5* just because of Nightmares. The more really stupidly high level gear you have for a Nightmare, the better.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well the banner was nice to me. Bursts for Garnet, Auron, Sephiroth, Balthier. Dunno how good they are but I like bursts. They seem pretty nice anyway.

Will throw an 11 at OK in a couple of days. I've only got 41 Mythril at the moment.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

1/11 on the lucky draw and it was a Tiny Bee. I can see why people were scared of this. It seems pretty underwhelming. I can't complain too much though since I already had 7 bursts before drawing, and most of them are pretty good.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I definitely feel that way on 100 gem pulls in Record Keeper and in Brave Exvius :v:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Beasteh posted:

Like, the last thing I deliberately went for and actually got was Eiko's BSB but I remind myself constantly that I could very easily have not pulled it, nothing is more frustrating than saving for months and pulling blanks and this game panders to that rush of bitterness and desperation by always offering that next pull, why not buy some gems keep chasing that dragon!! It's unhealthy as gently caress and I really hate that part of FFRK

I definitely play this game in spite of the gacha and not because of it. I mean yeah, it's really exhilarating to pull something you wanted but that's exacerbated by all the disappointment on the way. As I've mentioned before, I haven't had that rush of satisfaction of getting an item I really, actually *wanted*, not just "can use", in quite a while. That's why I choose to let go of this banner after only 100 Mythril and two out of seven items pulled despite still having 240 Mythril banked, there is only one item on this I actually want. The banner itself isn't exactly gangbusters, it just has this one really, really good item and a bunch of serviceable items for a realm almost no one had synergy for so it was a good shot at killing two birds with one stone. As unsatisfying as two Lust Daggers and one Heroic Shield (and a previously pulled Desch's Sword but that thing does not count) is, it does kill the synergy bird. I just wish I'd gotten the other one, too. That's why I'm hopeful for the XIV banner, I actually want any of the three bursts so at least there'll be a better shot at scratching that itch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I did 3 pulls on the OK banner and didn't get the OK BSB I got everything else though so I'm just going to stop there.

I did manage to get Aerith's BSB from the lucky draw could I replace Garnet with Aerith or is Garnets Super much better?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lucky Draw: Lightning, Locke, and a duplicate Cloud sword.

Nothing lifechanging for me since I already have like four physical attacker BSBs, but I like Lightning and Locke and I now have a mean beatstick for a realm with a lot of content (which I'm fine combining bc I also have Hardedge and Organics; the game loves giving me Cloud weapons).

Also, I gotta say, FFRK has been very good about giving freebies, bonus draws, etc. Moreso than any other gacha game I've ever played in the US.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

After some thoughts and discussion, I've decided to save my 100 mythril for something else besides Onion Knight. It wasn't meant to be, and really it's more of a luxury than anything. Now the decision is on whether FFT or FF14 is more important.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Not sure I can do the +++ fight for Gaia's Cross :(

Everything was going swimmingly then it used Quake and oneshot the whole party. Was going pretty well up until that point! Wall *may* have dropped off just before she cast it though, so at least I know the quake is at 50% or so now. Does she cast it again or do I only have to deal with that one time?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I got Aerith's and Serah's bursts out of this. That makes it my second healer BSB and third magic BSB respectively. I like that Aerith's gets a mass healing spell out of the deal, though she still competes with Minwu's BSB and instant heal SB. Serah just gives me ice coverage like VIncent has for fire coverage, and really I use Terra more for generalized offensive spellcasting. No complaints.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Wilekat posted:

Everything was going swimmingly then it used Quake and oneshot the whole party. Was going pretty well up until that point! Wall *may* have dropped off just before she cast it though, so at least I know the quake is at 50% or so now. Does she cast it again or do I only have to deal with that one time?

Afaik the quake is random and not scripted once he goes into his second attack pattern. You just got unlucky that he cast it at the wrong time.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Wilekat posted:

Pretty sure it's completely random, as I killed him that boss without ever seeing Quake.

AI dump claims it's a 40% chance every turn past 50% life, so I apparently got lucky.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Hecatoncheir has a really simply AI, actually. At 51% HP or more, he'll just Attack for 2 hits (70%) or Attack as an AoE (30%). And below that, he'll still do those (50% and 10%, respectively) and add Quake to the mix (40%). So yes, he can in theory cast Quake back-to-back-to-back if the RNG suits him.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So just for the sake of nostalgia, I kinda wanna pull on FF6's first banner for Shadow/Realm/Edgar shenanigans--worth?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yeah, but burst mode is a 20% stat increase, so that will affect speed. Prior to the release of Vaan's MC3, that was the only way to get him up to 5 hits on Thiefs Revenge. It's still not a good idea to dive Noel, though.

See, thief 5* is such a huge dps skillset that I have to disagree. Forget thieve's revenge, 4* white and the ability to do 3.7 damage wind and poison damage alone is nuts.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Shadow's BSB is the premier autobattle set and forget RW, I think Relms is the first to feature guts? And Edgar's is fairly forgettable

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hmm. I may have to rearrange my party a little. Possibly drop Paine for Garnet - use her Hastega, give her Shellga and a second heal, maybe. I lose a bunch of damage, but I might be capable of surviving, which is all I need to do.

Starting to feel the burn from not having Mog's or Mako Might yet.

Wilekat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 25, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CaptainPsyko posted:

But he'll never have enough speed for 5 hit TR. Even with Burst mode.

It's not like 4 hit Thief's Raid is poo poo. It's still 4 hits with 280 total potency and 30% lifesteal.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
got Ramza BSB, Fang BSB, and a dupe Hope BSB that I combined because who the hell else uses throwing magic weapons in XIII

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Servaetes posted:

So just for the sake of nostalgia, I kinda wanna pull on FF6's first banner for Shadow/Realm/Edgar shenanigans--worth?

Neither FF6 banner is what you'd call garbage or spectacular. They both have things.

I mean, banner 1's... one of the worse OSBs to date(but still an OSB, I mean, only so bad that gets), Relm's Medica includes instant heals and a Guts opener so it's hard to beat that, Shadow's is Endark fast commands with an instant opener(but lower damage), so it's neither dominant nor bad... Leo's boring-rear end Imperil Holy which is still an Imperil for frigging Holy, Cyan's Lifesiphonable MBlink, Indomitable Blade is great, Setzer gets a fullbreakdown, Brush Up is an okay Hastega that works as a kind of Boostga, and for some reason there's a no-SB hat on there, get that thing off here.

So I mean, it's not bad, but it's also not got a lot that stands out massively. Relm's Medica is the best thing on it I feel like?

It won't kill you if you want to do a pull on it, though if I was going to pull on one of those two it'd probably be banner 2 because I feel like Soul Spiral is sleeper amazing and the overall quality isn't too different. (Lifesiphonable MT Medica/Esuna/100% Defense boost sounds great for normal play and spectacular for MP.)

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
To be clear, I don't need any more than 12 of these Onion Knight Motes, correct?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Of all the banners to go 1/11 on :sigh: Not a dupe or a Tiny Bee, at least.

Ended up with Fang's BSB, which seems pretty neat, especially since I've got Cloud with Climhazzard and Finishing Touch, Luneth with Swordshower, and Bartz's Cape, so I have a pretty nasty wind team in the making.

Fang's skill pool is pretty underwhelming, though. There are so few Celerity skills (seriously, what the hell?) and half of them are totally useless on top of it, and she can't use the 5-star ones, which means the only skills in that category worth using are...Dismissal and Tempo Flurry, I guess? Then Support 3, which is equally useless.

I just can't really get into the Dragoon skills, for some reason. They feel super clunky and they don't really do more damage or anything to make up for that. Maybe that opens up with the 5-star skills but so far I haven't found any compelling reasons to run one over pretty much any other type of physical character.

Am I just wrong / missing something about Fang? I want to like her and I haven't really used dragoons enough to completely dismiss them, but so far Combat 6 / Dragoon 5 feels like a pretty bad combo, and really all of the dragoons seem to have extremely limited skill pools. She's better than Ricard and Kain, I guess.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sprite141 posted:

See, thief 5* is such a huge dps skillset that I have to disagree. Forget thieve's revenge, 4* white and the ability to do 3.7 damage wind and poison damage alone is nuts.

4* motes are such a scarce resource right now. There are other characters you could get more out of. Sure, take everything within your own context though; if Noel serves a specific role in your regular party and powering him up will help you push harder content then go for it. He was only recently released though, so an older player probably has better options. For example, I got his BSB from the lucky banner but I already have Faris with a SSB and BSB; she has natural thief 5 already and I dove for Mug Bloodlust and dancer 5*. I have white 4 covered by Eiko and Agrias. The only reason for me to use Noel is for realm synergy or because I don't want to "waste" exp by bringing an already level capped character.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Of all the banners to go 1/11 on :sigh: Not a dupe or a Tiny Bee, at least.

Ended up with Fang's BSB, which seems pretty neat, especially since I've got Cloud with Climhazzard and Finishing Touch, Luneth with Swordshower, and Bartz's Cape, so I have a pretty nasty wind team in the making.

Fang's skill pool is pretty underwhelming, though. There are so few Celerity skills (seriously, what the hell?) and half of them are totally useless on top of it, and she can't use the 5-star ones, which means the only skills in that category worth using are...Dismissal and Tempo Flurry, I guess? Then Support 3, which is equally useless.

I just can't really get into the Dragoon skills, for some reason. They feel super clunky and they don't really do more damage or anything to make up for that. Maybe that opens up with the 5-star skills but so far I haven't found any compelling reasons to run one over pretty much any other type of physical character.

Am I just wrong / missing something about Fang? I want to like her and I haven't really used dragoons enough to completely dismiss them, but so far Combat 6 / Dragoon 5 feels like a pretty bad combo, and really all of the dragoons seem to have extremely limited skill pools. She's better than Ricard and Kain, I guess.

Well, there's Lightning Dive dragoon skill which is great, and then there's the 6* skill Sky High I think it's called. But don't know if you have those motes to unlock that. Sky High is a wind-based dragoon skill that hits 4 times and will go real well with the imperil wind effect of her BSB.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dragoon abilities are cool because they allow you to shove the character into the back row. There's a ranged 4* Dragoon ability that deals good damagw and makes all jump abilities land instantly. It's really decent and makes the 5* Dragoon abilities even better. They're not super amazing or anything, but they're not bad

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Combat 4+ has Lifesiphon to fuel any relevant SBs, and setting up a Dragoon pretty much means that you take Blood of the Wyvern + your jump of choice. The deal with the latter is that they're normally "balanced" by having a nonzero jump time in addition to a charge time, but with Blood of the Wyvern to negate that they suddenly go up in usefulness by perhaps a star. (The 3-star elemental jumps have comparable damage to 4-star Spellblade abilities, for instance.)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Dragoon skills are fine, though with that team comp you may as well just spam Lifesiphon on her to keep Imperil Wind up 100% of the time and keep cranking out wind renzos, which she's as good at as anyone else.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Sesq posted:

To be clear, I don't need any more than 12 of these Onion Knight Motes, correct?

Where the hell do they come from? I only have 5 from cms

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SageAcrin posted:

I mean, banner 1's... one of the worse OSBs to date(but still an OSB, I mean, only so bad that gets)

I'd rather have Edgar's than Tyro's by a long, long, long shot. Or Vaan's, or Onion's...

Edgar's is AOE. It is the only AOE OSB. Yes, it has lower potency to make up for that, but it's still really, really useful for multi-target bosses. It's also a 6 star gun.

SageAcrin posted:

Shadow's is Endark fast commands with an instant opener(but lower damage), so it's neither dominant nor bad...

It's actually one of the strongest physical BSBs in the game as long as the enemies don't resist dark damage. Ninja cast time commands is huge. It's not as good as Soburo Sukehiro (which also has ninja cast time command 1, but has a self-attack buff on entry and a dark bargain command 2), but we're going to have to wait a long while before we get Ayame's BSB if it (and she) doesn't show up during OSB fest.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
2x Noel's BSB. And I already have Faris' identical BSB.

:/

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
So, I've cleared up through Doga Grotto+, which seems to be my limit for this event. Is there's anything I can do to cheese my way down to the third xp dungeon in the hopes of getting onion Knights 3rd crystal?

And if not, how long am I going to have to wait before I can make him usable? I pulled his gauntlets, I'm going to be really sad if I have a long wait or if it hasn't come back around in jp yet.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Mithross posted:

So, I've cleared up through Doga Grotto+, which seems to be my limit for this event. Is there's anything I can do to cheese my way down to the third xp dungeon in the hopes of getting onion Knights 3rd crystal?

And if not, how long am I going to have to wait before I can make him usable? I pulled his gauntlets, I'm going to be really sad if I have a long wait or if it hasn't come back around in jp yet.

You could try mythril revives if it's that important. Wait for someone else to confirm this is actually a good idea cause I have a history of real bad ideas!! But I'd do it if it were an emergency. Just never to beat an Ultimate.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Zurai posted:

I'd rather have Edgar's than Tyro's by a long, long, long shot. Or Vaan's, or Onion's...

Edgar's is AOE. It is the only AOE OSB. Yes, it has lower potency to make up for that, but it's still really, really useful for multi-target bosses. It's also a 6 star gun.
Yeah, one of the worse is not "bad" by a long shot. It's fine and I pretty much agree with that list of "things I'd take it over" and probably could dig around and add more.

(Jesus christ why is Tyro's not ranged)

6* gun is interesting, because one can argue that as a good or bad thing.

quote:

It's actually one of the strongest physical BSBs in the game as long as the enemies don't resist dark damage. Ninja cast time commands is huge. It's not as good as Soburo Sukehiro (which also has ninja cast time command 1, but has a self-attack buff on entry and a dark bargain command 2), but we're going to have to wait a long while before we get Ayame's BSB if it (and she) doesn't show up during OSB fest.

Now this is cool info. I never have a good read on exactly how much fastcast buffs DPS, but come to think on it, just the extra shots you'd get from the Burst(You probably can get six instead of five, at least) would help quite a bit. Nice, thanks.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Where the hell do they come from? I only have 5 from cms

They're rare drops from the dragons in the the FF3 exp stages. The higher the level of the stage the more likely it is to drop.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Mithross posted:

All of the Ninja's attacks are PHY-typed, so you can block most of them (except the AoE) with Drawtaliate while everyone else beats on him. As for Hecatoncheir, you could probably try a similar strategy though you'd have to worry about Quake. But regardless, both bosses are simple enough to be gear checks without much thought as to strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hahaha. +++ update: swapped in Garnet from Paine. Gained Shellga and my haste SB converted to also being regen and a medium resistance buff. The quake went from hitting the whole party for 3500ish,down to 350ish (!!!). I'm a little blown away by what a difference all that made; I really must have lost Wall at exactly the wrong moment before.

The good news is I suppose this means I'll be able to get Onion MC3, which will make him usable at some point!

Conundrum: do I farm dragons for his onion motes? I don't know how often the chance comes up, but even though I have his sword I have no idea when I'll actually use him. I don't actually have 90 stamina (my max is 77!), so I don't know whether it's a worthy investment of my time to clear it more than once right now.

• Locked thread