Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

D E A T H T R A P S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

"My Tank is Fight"?

This is actually a pretty good suggestion, imo. It's funny, it's got some interesting information, and it's not even age inappropriate (surprising for an SA product, I know). I got a decent kick out of it at his age, at least :shrug:

edit:

quote:

Christian DeJohn, a published historian completing a masters degree in military and American history, is a former United States cavalry tanker with hands-on experiences as a gunner in an M1 Abrams tank.

:lol:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nebakenezzer posted:

Y'know its a good question. I'd suggest maybe a year's subscription to AFV monthly? Finding a book on tanks that is general, factual, but not "You've most of your way through a history undergrad" weighty is difficult.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/tanks-of-the-second-world/9781473859326-item.html?ikwid=Tanks&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=34

?

Thread, this is coming out soon:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/for-want-of-a-gun/9780764352508-item.html?ikwid=Tanks&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=3

I need to start rating this badly immediately.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll second My Tank is Fight!, I know I got a lot of mileage out of it when I was that age (younger, even). It's a good book about some kooky poo poo, and a lot of fun. More importantly, every third paragraph in the German sections makes a point to mention how trash 98% of the ideas were, so any nascent Wehrabooism should hopefully be dampened.

Sure, it's not exactly brimming over with primary sources and expert analyses, but your audience is a kid not a history undergrad so who cares - the most important thing is that whatever he gets is interesting enough to hook him. Plus, it's an SA product so, uh, brand loyalty?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 25, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

To be quite honest I'm not sure how much I'd want kids to be interested in war, especially in this current political environment.

I think a good history would do a kid well, just so they get the sheer mindboggling speed with which war can wipe large numbers of people out.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm seconding Ordinary Men :v:.

Schwerpunkt might go well, it might go poorly. It's probably a decent pick for that sort of detail just because it's well broken up into battles and you can just read battles and get an idea of the texture of things. It's never too early for decent historiography either, but it doesn't make its narrative as clear as some books do, so not sure.

I'd also recommend converting him to the dark side of naval warfare with some of Friedman's Illustrated Design History books, what 13 year old doesn't like a nice picture book?:v:

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 25, 2016

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

quote:

To be quite honest I'm not sure how much I'd want kids to be interested in war, especially in this current political environment.

The more people know about war, the less jingoistic they seem to be.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fangz posted:

get him a book about that african-american contributions in the war.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Spurred by the Moscow posts, any SE Asia military history visits to recommend?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I'd also recommend converting him to the dark side of naval warfare with some of Friedman's Illustrated Design History books, what 13 year old doesn't like a nice picture book?:v:

Join the Dark Boat Side, we have cookies ice cream machines.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

BattleMoose posted:

I'd argue that something sorta like the inverse is true. People get more enamored of war the more they learn about it, up to a certain point where they know too much. A lot of people never get to that "too much" point, possibly because it varies or they stop studying. Source? What? I ain't even got anecdotes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

platzapS posted:

I'm interested in different notions of honor and cowardice. What would bring shame to a soldier in the era you like to study?

I'd like to offer you this amazing piece on shaming and societal nations of propriety in 1540s England:

https://thesocialhistorian.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/the-foulest-place-of-mine-arse-is-fairer-than-thy-face/

My dudes are "vikings", and they had some real loving issues about shaming. A lot of shaming behaviours are tied to the breaking of inviolable taboos: Woman-slayer, kin-slayer, death-shy and (evil) sorceror, come to mind. However, you had better make sure a dude did the things you shame him for, or he will probably sue or kill you. Proper behaviour was enshrined in law, so if you kept doing wrong, you would become an outlaw, and everyone could kill you on sight.

Calling someone womanish was generally reserved for the bitterest of violent feuds. This assumes we're talking a man shaming a man, though. The goading of women in iron age Scandinavia is culturally enshrined, and the main source of womens cultural and political power. If a man did not adhere to societal norms, his wife would flyte, shame, harangue and humiliate him till his balls caught on fire - as well as withhold cooking, sex and even treatment of his wounds, until he fell in line.

A good example is found in Njal's Saga:

quote:

Then Hildigunna went back into the hall and unlocked her chest and then she took out the cloak, Flosi’s gift, and in it Hauskuld had been slain and there she had kept it, blood and all. Then she went back into the sitting-room with the Cloak; she went up silently to Flosi.

Flosi had just then eaten his full and the board was cleared. Hildigunna threw the cloak over Flosi and the gore rattled down all over him. Then she spoke and said, ‘This cloak, Flosi, thou gavest to Hauskuld, and now I will give it back to thee; he was slain in it, and I call God and all good men to witness, that I abjure thee, by all the might of thy Christ, and by thy manhood and bravery, to take vengeance for all those wounds which he had on his dead body, or else to be called every man’s dastard.’

Flosi threw the cloak off him and hurled it into her lap, and said, ‘Thou art the greatest hell-hag, and thou wishest that we should take that course which will be the worst for all of us. But `women’s counsel is ever cruel.’

E: Also, there is some debate on whether retreating in combat is shameful. While viking beliefs saw a death in battle as the most desirable outcome wrt a good afterlife, it was generally not bad to retreat when ordered to, or against a superiour foe. Someone who breaks and runs quick in a regular scrap would probably get a talking to, though.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 25, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Missed the dogfight chat.

How did they fix the "not shooting your own propeller off" bit?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fat Samurai posted:

Interrupter gear connecting the prop and machine gun physically blocks the trigger from being pulled, prevented the gun from shooting and thus not breaking your own prop.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, it was first developed by the germans in WW1 and was a HUGE advantage over the allies because you werent constantly running the risk of shooting yourself down.

Also also because the solution for those without the gear waa putting guns on top of the upper biplane wing to allow you to shoot over the propeller. Problem with that is youre forcing your pilot to stand, making the whole thing awkward amd its inaccurate as poo poo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

The original solution was steel plates on the propeller. Unfortunate side effects included bullets ricocheting back into the engine or between the pilot's eyes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, it was first developed by the germans in WW1 and was a HUGE advantage over the allies because you werent constantly running the risk of shooting yourself down.

Also also because the solution for those without the gear waa putting guns on top of the upper biplane wing to allow you to shoot over the propeller. Problem with that is youre forcing your pilot to stand, making the whole thing awkward amd its inaccurate as poo poo.

I thought the issue wasn't standing to shoot (it was possible connect a trigger while seated to an above wing machine gun) but that you had the swing the gun down to reload and it was a pain in the rear end?

Also prior to proper synchronisation gear the French tried just armouring their propellers to brute force a solution to the problem

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Problem with that is youre forcing your pilot to stand, making the whole thing awkward amd its inaccurate as poo poo.

what? no, the trigger was operated normally. The only situation where you'd need to stand up was if there was a jam (or if you had to reload a Lewis gun).

Other approaches were to use a pusher plane like D.H.2 or, as some pilots did, reinforce the propeller with metal plating and just shoot through it, propeller damage be damned

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
That thing looks like it would faceplant from a full stop position.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

what? no, the trigger was operated normally. The only situation where you'd need to stand up was if there was a jam (or if you had to reload a Lewis gun).

Other approaches were to use a pusher plane like D.H.2 or, as some pilots did, reinforce the propeller with metal plating and just shoot through it, propeller damage be damned

Yeah I'm most likely thinking of the wrong thing cause I'm way too tired. You did have to change mags manually and clear jams as well, both of which would suck.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd argue that something sorta like the inverse is true. People get more enamored of war the more they learn about it, up to a certain point where they know too much. A lot of people never get to that "too much" point, possibly because it varies or they stop studying. Source? What? I ain't even got anecdotes.

It's like the Dunning-Kreuger effect but with jingoism.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Specifically I think there's an issue that most of the war-is-horrible stuff is hidden from 'family' audiences, where instead you get cool looking soldier's uniforms, arrows moving across maps, neato weapons and stirring tales of heroism... and not so much massive civilian casualties, widespread war crimes, dying slowly in your own feces etc etc

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah, I think it's important to give war hungry teenagers as much military history as they can handle. The deeper they go the more things they'll encounter that make them go "Jesus Christ, this is awful". This thread is a great example of that effect. More education is always better, trying to hide stuff is what causes the bad poo poo. Battlefield 1 was ahistorical because ww1 wasn't fun, you have to know about military history to know it is awful.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can't possibly stop youngsters from getting interested in war, sometimes they can be inexplicably drawn to it, and it's too important to ignore, so the best you can do is properly inform them accurately.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Interrupter gear connecting the prop and machine gun physically blocks the trigger from being pulled, prevented the gun from shooting and thus not breaking your own prop.

Here's a neat video showing one in action (or at least, a facsimile).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysB-SH19WRQ

I can't imagine what it was like to try to reload a machine gun by yourself, in the air, while making sure your plane is flying. Sounds like a nightmare.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can't possibly stop youngsters from getting interested in war, sometimes they can be inexplicably drawn to it, and it's too important to ignore, so the best you can do is properly inform them accurately.

Yeah, exactly. You can't stop them being interested, and you can't try and tell them war is bad, you just have to give them enough information that they realise themselves that war is actually awful and should be avoided at all costs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Give them a strong dose of war documentaries made just after the conflict, the more close to the bone interviews with the people that were there.

The World At War is a good one. The intro is just a bunch of shocked, horrified or competely dead on the inside photographs of civilians and soldiers during the 2nd World War with a very sorrowful music backing.

Down this road on a summer days in 1944 the soldiers came :smith:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Give them a strong dose of war documentaries made just after the conflict, the more close to the bone interviews with the people that were there.

The World At War is a good one. The intro is just a bunch of shocked, horrified or competely dead on the inside photographs of civilians and soldiers during the 2nd World War with a very sorrowful music backing.

The world at war is probably the finest documentary i have ever seen, competing with CNN's The Cold War. It provides a really good look not just at what and where but especially at the why of everything, why being the vital question because it tells you both why its important that war is fought but also why it is never to be taken lightly.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've recommending the World At War to anybody who is interested in this sorta stuff but don't have much knowledge about World War 2.

Weird fact: one of the many things that is great about the World At War is that they had the co-operation of the Soviets in making it. The Soviets didn't like the end result. (This is odd if you've seen the series, since if anybody comes off as heroic and bordering on the superhuman, it is the Soviets/Russians. I imagine the mild criticism the World At War cast the communist party's way might have had something to do with it - though they kinda get the short shift post-Stalingrad, with very little said about the Soviet victories after that.) So the Soviets commissioned their own documentary series about th eastern front, produced by a western company. They got Gregory Peck (!) to narrate it. Called appropriately enough "The Unknown War", the whole thing is now on youtube.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I just started reading a book on the submarine war in WW1 and was slightly taken aback by this part of the first page.

quote:

Here — and nowhere else so clearly as here — the world has seen the death struggle between the two spirits now contending for the future of mankind. Between the old chivalry, and the new savagery, there can be no more truce; one of the two must go under, and the barbarians knew it when they cried Weltmacht oder Niedergang. Of the spirit of the German nation it is not necessary to say much. Everything that could be charged against them has been already proved, by their own words and actions. They have sunk without warning women and children, doctors and nurses, neutrals and wounded men, not by tens or hundreds but by thousands. They have publicly rejoiced over these murders with medals and flags, with songs and school holidays. They have not only broken the rules of international law; they have with unparalleled cruelty, after sinking even neutral ships, shot and drowned the crews in open boats, that they might leave no trace of their crimes. The men who have done — and are still doing — these things have courage of a kind. They face danger and hardship to a certain point, though, by their own account, in the last extreme they fail to show the dignity and sanity with which our own men meet death. But their peculiar defect is not one of nerve, but of spirit. They lack that instinct which, with all civilised races, intervenes, even in the most violent moment of conflict or desperation, and reminds the combatant that there are blows which it is not lawful to strike in any circumstances whatever.

This instinct — the religion of all chivalrous peoples — is connected by some with humanity, by some with courtesy, by ourselves with sport. In this matter we are all in the right. The savage in conflict thinks of nothing but his own violent will; the civilised and the chivalrous are always conscious of the fact that there are other rights in the world beside their own. The humane man forbears his enemy; the courteous man respects him, as one with rights like his own; the man with the instinct of sport knows that he must not snatch success by destroying the very game itself. The civilised nation will not hack its way to victory through the ruins of human life. It will be restrained, if by no other consideration, yet at least by the recollection that it is but one member of a human fellowship, and that the greatness of a part can never be achieved by the corruption of the whole.

The German nature is not only devoid of every civilised instinct, it is roused to fury by the thought of it. Any act, however cruel and barbarous, if only it tends to the defeat the enemies of Germany, is a good deed, a brave act and to be commended.

I looked back at the original publishing date and it was 1918 and suddenly it all made a great deal more sense, i can only imagine what French writers were saying at the time was significantly more vitriolic. Attitudes were certainly remarkably different then as they were now with the benefit of a long gap.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Post Treaty Of Versailles we're all kind a little weary about that kind of thinking now unless it is Nazi level evil.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think one awkward thing about war is that our ur-war, WW2, is also the archetypal anti-pacifist war. Like, I can see the conversation going:

"War is bad, loads of civilians die and even the soldiers are sad"
"So there shouldn't have been a war!"
"Well if there wasn't then the holocaust would've gone to full completion."

I feel like most kids probably aren't able to grapple with that properly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah it's pretty ironic that that one of the most horrible wars mankind has ever fought is also one of the few that I think were completely justified.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah it's pretty ironic that that one of the most horrible wars mankind has ever fought is also one of the few that I think were completely justified.

Not really going to argue that it wasn't, but this really depends on who you are and where you were located. The eastern front solidified Stalins brutal dictatorship, and you could just as well say that it was well the Germans fought them - also, the civil war in China didn't really end non-horribly, but no one can argue it's not part of WW2.

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 25, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

spectralent posted:

I think one awkward thing about war is that our ur-war, WW2, is also the archetypal anti-pacifist war. Like, I can see the conversation going:

"War is bad, loads of civilians die and even the soldiers are sad"
"So there shouldn't have been a war!"
"Well if there wasn't then the holocaust would've gone to full completion."

I feel like most kids probably aren't able to grapple with that properly.

Honestly a good one for broaching the subject of that complexity might be the ACW. You've got a supremely moral cause, and that's not really what the North's fighting over, it does a good job of subtly fracturing the good vs evil perspective. Or just do 30yw, where fighting more just makes everything worse for everyone outside transitory gains and they keep thinking more war will make it better.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Get the kid Armoured Champion. Schwerpunkt is pretty dry for a teenager.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

xthetenth posted:

Honestly a good one for broaching the subject of that complexity might be the ACW. You've got a supremely moral cause, and that's not really what the North's fighting over, it does a good job of subtly fracturing the good vs evil perspective. Or just do 30yw, where fighting more just makes everything worse for everyone outside transitory gains and they keep thinking more war will make it better.

Yeah, but the thing is my little sister (and I'm sure a lot of other people's younger relatives) have already heard about the second world war; my grandma lived through the blitz, and her brother fought in africa and italy. She's aware that a thing called "world war two" happened, and there was a lot of fighting ("Even at my house!"). She's five. I doubt she really thinks about it, but she's passively aware of WW2 as A Thing to a degree I doubt is shared with the ACW or 30YW, or even current conflicts like Syria. The Battle of Britain, fighting on the beaches, the Blitzkrieg and El Alamein are just part of our cultural background of Notable Stuff That Happened. WW1 is probably closer and more of a "it was pointless and bad", but I feel like we're not going to be able to keep the nazis away from her forever.

EDIT: It doesn't help that she really likes machinery, planes in particular, and model plane kits are dominated by warplanes (and all mine are). I mean, I haven't told her the stuka is a divebomber, but she thinks it looks cool.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 25, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The holocaust is a pretty great justification in hindsight, but it wasn't really used as a contemporary justification for the war. That's one of the horrifying parts of it, most people at the time didn't know about it, and those that did may not have really cared too much. You can see similar patterns with other crimes against humanity.

It was still pretty justified from the perspective that the axis had started the thing in the name of conquest, but those you can put into slightly more cynical spins on.

And then the whole thing was just a sequel to the most profoundly pointless war of all time that mainly happened because there hadn't been a big war for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

A lot because some proper looking at it might give them an appropriately dim view of attempting to prosecute one?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW1 biplanes with a lewis gun bolted on the top and a few extra magazines stuffed down the side of the seat are wonderful, and I refuse to let anyone tell me that standing up in the plane and steering with your knees while you try to stick a new drum on your machinegun is not the second best way to fight in an aircraft.

The best way to fight in an aircraft is to shoot your service revolver out of the cockpit like some kind of aerial drive by.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 25, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but the thing is my little sister (and I'm sure a lot of other people's younger relatives) have already heard about the second world war; my grandma lived through the blitz, and her brother fought in africa and italy. She's aware that a thing called "world war two" happened, and there was a lot of fighting ("Even at my house!"). She's five. I doubt she really thinks about it, but she's passively aware of WW2 as A Thing to a degree I doubt is shared with the ACW or 30YW, or even current conflicts like Syria. The Battle of Britain, fighting on the beaches, the Blitzkrieg and El Alamein are just part of our cultural background of Notable Stuff That Happened. WW1 is probably closer and more of a "it was pointless and bad", but I feel like we're not going to be able to keep the nazis away from her forever.

EDIT: It doesn't help that she really likes machinery, planes in particular, and model plane kits are dominated by warplanes (and all mine are). I mean, I haven't told her the stuka is a divebomber, but she thinks it looks cool.

If she likes machinery I would throw my heart and soul behind the David Macauley book "The Way Things Work" as the version I had as a child is absolutely crammed with hand illustrated cutaways of machines with little people crawling around in them, it's like a mix between a where's wally book and a set of blueprints, you can spend hours looking at the pictures.

There's a number of versions as the one i had was written in the 90's, there's new ones that deal with smartphones and such, but I would think any of them will be a real treat.

http://www.amazon.in/New-Way-Things-Work/dp/0751356433

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mammoth-based explanations for everything, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

BattleMoose posted:

No, not really. If anything, chickenhawk ratings go up fairly quickly with moderate levels of knowledge about war.