Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.eater.com/2012/7/25/6561581/portland-or-is-so-trendy-theres-a-portland-themed-restaurant-in-canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh and we have the rip off of in n out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZ7OmmmX7M

Of course it has to be a Chinese invention

Those inscrutable burger connoisseurs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

The Keg on Main Street in Winnipeg has a really nice patio and they run specials on draught beer and appetizers most nights. If you can't enjoy that you're a lifeless rear end in a top hat.

Is it the only place with a patio and specials on draught beer? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that there are others, and they are probably better and/or more reasonably priced. There's plenty of pubs in Calgary with patios, almost all of them have daily food and drink specials, and all of them are in fact much cheaper than the Keg, with similar quality when all is said and done. And Calgary is a lovely city for anything resembling food or culture, so I can only imagine that literally every other city in Canada is far better off for restaurant-related options.

Of course, in Montreal patio-going is not a good idea because you may well be crushed to death by falling chunks of concrete, but the option is still there...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

The Keg on Main Street in Winnipeg has a really nice patio and they run specials on draught beer and appetizers most nights. If you can't enjoy that you're a lifeless rear end in a top hat.

How can I enjoy a place that doesn't exist? It's on Gary not Main

Perhaps you are thinking of Earls

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Of course, in Montreal patio-going is not a good idea because you may well be crushed to death by falling chunks of concrete, but the option is still there...

lmao this loving guy

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Jimbozig posted:

Complaining about The Keg isn't about being cultured. The Keg is simply far, far too expensive for the food they serve. For that price, you could go to an actual fancy restaurant and get a fantastic meal cooked by a genuine chef who makes his or her own menu. Or if that's too "cultured" for you, you could just go to some other chain and get equally "fine" food for half the price.

The food at The Keg is fine. The steaks are not lovely. If they charged half as much, I would like the place very much. But they don't, so it's pointless. It's like charging $60,000 for a Hyundai Sonata. I like my Sonata - it is a perfectly good car and suits my family's needs - but I'd have to be a real moron to pay $60,000 for it.

That was vaguely my original point, but yeah, the main issue is that at a third or half the price you could justify it, but either it better be orgasm steak at that price, or cut down to a reasonable cost, because as it is it is in fact a terrible joke. If you are charging me 40 bucks for a steak I could do better and larger at home for 10? That's a poo poo steak.

PT6A posted:

And Calgary is a lovely city for anything resembling food or culture, so I can only imagine that literally every other city in Canada is far better off for restaurant-related options.

You think it's better up in Edmonton? Obviously you haven't heard about what the Alberta Advantage really means :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karatela posted:

If you are charging me 40 bucks for a steak I could do better and larger at home for 10?

It is a restaurant, this is what they do, for all foods. The value proposition is that you don't have to cook it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

CLAM DOWN posted:

The keg is perfectly fine you pretentious fucks

:lol: at paying the price restaurants charge to 'cook' you your steak

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

This thread is quickly approaching peak unstable levels of circlejerk.

harness it for self-sustaining energy generation imo

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

infernal machines posted:

Also, what kind of dork complains about the quality of a steak at a chain restaurant?

I'm paying 35 dollars for that chain restaurant steak. It just doesn't make sense. You're getting chain restaurant quality food for real restaurant prices. I'm not complaining about the quality of the steak at the outback steakhouse, I'm complaining about what is effectively the same thing except dressed up to look like a fancy restaurant with double the prices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Karatela posted:

That was vaguely my original point, but yeah, the main issue is that at a third or half the price you could justify it, but either it better be orgasm steak at that price, or cut down to a reasonable cost, because as it is it is in fact a terrible joke. If you are charging me 40 bucks for a steak I could do better and larger at home for 10? That's a poo poo steak.

You think it's better up in Edmonton? Obviously you haven't heard about what the Alberta Advantage really means :v:

You're really terrible at eating if you can't find good food in calgary or edmonton. Even if you go to a minichain like brewsters they have lambburgers. There's legit mexican and thai and vietnamese food everywhere.

Edmonton has the best greasy ukrainian food ever in the foodcourt at kingsway mall. and they'll make you giant trays of it if you want.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Keg here has a literally identical excellent BC VQA wine list to basically every other eating establishment in Vancouver. I was just starting to think some of your posts weren't utterly retarded then you go and prove me wrong again, thank you <3

VQA is meaningless and not an identifier for quality, even if they say so in the name.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

It is a restaurant, this is what they do, for all foods. The value proposition is that you don't have to cook it.

And yet Denny's will do a steak that's roughly the same for $24 or so, so what do we call that gap in prices in this equation? I have zero issue with restaurants that cook a decent food for a decent price, or an amazing food for an amazing-high price, but I will mock one that is pricing well outside its value.

Powershift posted:

Edmonton has the best greasy ukrainian food ever in the foodcourt at kingsway mall. and they'll make you giant trays of it if you want.

I will accept I totally forgot about them and should visit them, so that's my mistake :ohdear:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Apparently you can actually buy your own ingredients and make a meal of equal taste for a lower price. Kind of surprised the restaurant industry lasted this long. And really why would I spend $100 at Barberians for an amazing steak when I can spend $10 on a home-cooked steak that only tastes half as good. My whole world is crumbling.

lol, you're insane.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

god I missed food and drink chat, this is gonna be a good couple of pages

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MagicCube posted:

lol, you're insane.

Yeah, this appears to be a fundamental disconnect.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

MagicCube posted:

lol, you're insane.

I never said the steak or whatever there was any better, I just said it was cheaper. If I am getting something that's at best adequate, why should I pay 50%-100% more for it? Feel free to name some place else in that price range that makes you feel better if you like, I'm not wedded to it!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's some Canadian driver chat:

quote:

Gatineau driver died swerving his minivan into pickup truck in fit of road rage — with his kids on board

The driver of a minivan who died after a Nov. 5 crash had swerved into a pickup truck in a fit of road rage — with his wife and four children on board, Gatineau, Que., police say.

Police say they won’t lay charges in the death because they are convinced the van’s driver deliberately caused the crash, which happened on Allumettières Boulevard near Vanier Road in Aylmer.

Both vehicles were heading east, and each driver had passed the other at least once.

The minivan was being passed by the truck, and as this happened police say the van driver deliberately swerved and hit the truck’s rear passenger-side door.

Following the collision, the minivan rolled over several times and ended up on its roof in a water-filled ditch, where the driver was submerged for several minutes.

He died in hospital later.

Police said the statements of witnesses and the police analysis of the scene and the vehicles showed conclusively that the minivan driver swerved deliberately into the other vehicle.

Police also credit several Good Samaritans with stopping and saving the lives of the victim’s wife and their children, who had minor injuries.
The occupants of the truck also had minor injuries.

Canadian driver of the year

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm honestly surprised people stopped to help this family.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Karatela posted:

And yet Denny's will do a steak that's roughly the same for $24 or so, so what do we call that gap in prices in this equation? I have zero issue with restaurants that cook a decent food for a decent price, or an amazing food for an amazing-high price, but I will mock one that is pricing well outside its value.

Yeah, this is the real point. I've eaten at places way more expensive than The Keg and been far more satisfied with the value of my meal -- the absolute expense is not the issue, it's the value of the meal.

And, yes, I absolutely expect every restaurant to make better food than what I could make for myself, or at least produce food that would be a massive pain in the rear end for me to cook for myself in terms of ingredients or preparation. Keg steak does not qualify in either respect: I can do it better, I can do it cheaper, and I can do it very easily. This isn't some molecular gastronomy poo poo, it's steak and some starchy side dish -- I could teach a 12-year-old to cook it. And then I can use the savings to buy myself a way better bottle of wine than anything the Keg even has on their wine list.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Karatela posted:

I never said the steak or whatever there was any better, I just said it was cheaper. If I am getting something that's at best adequate, why should I pay 50%-100% more for it? Feel free to name some place else in that price range that makes you feel better if you like, I'm not wedded to it!

The most canpol post.

e: actually no it's pt6a's, because of course it is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Oh hey Ontario is poised to be full of racist homophobes alt-right nazi frog people, gently caress yeah.

If anyone wants to start a cash pool around when she'll resign, I would participate.

It's a Forum poll.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like this chat illuminates the life of the average CanPol goon better than the last 783 pages have done

Winnipeg goons, what's your opinion on Sushi Jet and Igi BBQ on Pembina? Which is better?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Oh hey I went to this place recently. Fried chicken on a waffle sounds pretty weird but it works really well. I recommend.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like this chat illuminates the life of the average CanPol goon better than the last 783 pages have done

Winnipeg goons, what's your opinion on Sushi Jet and Igi BBQ on Pembina? Which is better?

I'm not allowed to leave the Downtown core so the one who delivers

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

Hey, at least that minivan driver didn't damage any of that fragile truck equity, right? I was worried for a moment there :sweatdrop:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Oh hey I went to this place recently. Fried chicken on a waffle sounds pretty weird but it works really well. I recommend.

you should check out Chewies on 1st and Yew - really really good Fried chicken and waffles

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

namaste faggots posted:

Wow. Karma. Dude probably drowned because he had his window down screaming which allowed the water to come in.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

IDK if you're trolling or not because I'm still new to the city. Are these places good? We're always on the lookout for decent sushi and drat I haven't had Korean BBQ in ages.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jimbozig posted:

Complaining about The Keg isn't about being cultured. The Keg is simply far, far too expensive for the food they serve. For that price, you could go to an actual fancy restaurant and get a fantastic meal cooked by a genuine chef who makes his or her own menu. Or if that's too "cultured" for you, you could just go to some other chain and get equally "fine" food for half the price.

The food at The Keg is fine. The steaks are not lovely. If they charged half as much, I would like the place very much. But they don't, so it's pointless. It's like charging $60,000 for a Hyundai Sonata. I like my Sonata - it is a perfectly good car and suits my family's needs - but I'd have to be a real moron to pay $60,000 for it.

If you pay full price for anything you are a sucker imho, I eat at The Keg if there's a special or someone gives me a giftcard, because that's a default gift apparently.

PT6A posted:

Is it the only place with a patio and specials on draught beer? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that there are others, and they are probably better and/or more reasonably priced. There's plenty of pubs in Calgary with patios, almost all of them have daily food and drink specials, and all of them are in fact much cheaper than the Keg, with similar quality when all is said and done. And Calgary is a lovely city for anything resembling food or culture, so I can only imagine that literally every other city in Canada is far better off for restaurant-related options.

There's a million places in Winnipeg with patio specials, they are all around the same price for drinks and food because people in Winnipeg flood patios for our 3 months of summer. I can get a beer and 2 appetizers at The Kegs for 20 bucks on most nights. Doesn't mean I frequent it, but it's different from every pub that's a pound of wings and a beer for 11 bucks.

Fried Watermelon posted:

How can I enjoy a place that doesn't exist? It's on Gary not Main

Perhaps you are thinking of Earls

No it's the one on Gary I'm thinking of. Earl's and JOEY both surprise me with how lovely their menus are.

JawKnee posted:

harness it for self-sustaining energy generation imo

Once we had clean sustaining energy we would need to find something else to circle jerk or else the generators would run out of fuel.

TheKingofSprings posted:

IGI BBQ

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

IDK if you're trolling or not because I'm still new to the city. Are these places good? We're always on the lookout for decent sushi and drat I haven't had Korean BBQ in ages.

I would personally say they're decent, I can't really comment on Toronto sushi or wherever you lived previously(I can on Vancouver sushi though, stop spreading sauce all over it assholes I want to taste good fish).

Sushi Jet's 18$ AYCE for lunch, something like 26$ for dinner. I like their rolls (I recommend the BC and Cali, they don't use mayo and I prefer them that way) and it's really easy to get more than your money's worth if you go out in a group.

I like Igi's rolls a little less, but with Korean BBQ to back it up it's still really good. If you want a mix I'd definitely check that place out, but if you're just in the mood for sushi rolls I'd go to Sushi Jet (I think Sushi Gen is in the same family and is downtown)?

E: Yeah Gen's just west of the intersection of Portage and Main. Also if you're in the downtown area, I'd check out the Ichiban if you're looking for a really nice night. They do live cooking and their food was quite good when I went a few weeks ago.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 25, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Go to a butcher and buy some prime rib. Rinse it, dry it, let it to com to room temp and then dry rub it with steak spice. Place on rack in pan, oven sear 450 then drop to 275 and cook until internal temp is 5 degrees below desired temp. Remove. Rest for 15 minutes.

Enjoy your $50 per person keg meal for $5 each.

Steaks and roasts basically don't require a cook. There is zero labour and skill involved.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The Butcher posted:

Deacons corner. Motherfucker

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Go to a butcher and buy some prime rib. Rinse it, dry it, let it to com to room temp and then dry rub it with steak spice. Place on rack in pan, oven sear 450 then drop to 275 and cook until internal temp is 5 degrees below desired temp. Remove. Rest for 15 minutes.

Enjoy your $50 per person keg meal for $5 each.

Steaks and roasts basically don't require a cook. There is zero labour and skill involved.

You can't honestly be equating going out for a steak dinner vs staying at home and cooking your own. Those are different activities. You are paying for more than just the slab of meat when you go out. Oh my god loving goons.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would personally say they're decent, I can't really comment on Toronto sushi or wherever you lived previously(I can on Vancouver sushi though, stop spreading sauce all over it assholes I want to taste good fish).

Sushi Jet's 18$ AYCE for lunch, something like 26$ for dinner. I like their rolls (I recommend the BC and Cali, they don't use mayo and I prefer them that way) and it's really easy to get more than your money's worth if you go out in a group.

I like Igi's rolls a little less, but with Korean BBQ to back it up it's still really good. If you want a mix I'd definitely check that place out, but if you're just in the mood for sushi rolls I'd go to Sushi Jet (I think Sushi Gen is in the same family and is downtown)?

E: Yeah Gen's just west of the intersection of Portage and Main. Also if you're in the downtown area, I'd check out the Ichiban if you're looking for a really nice night. They do live cooking and their food was quite good when I went a few weeks ago.

Thanks I'll try it out.

90% of the time when we do Sushi we just get takeout from Wako Sushi Cafe because it's really quite good and we can walk there. The only other places I've had actually good sushi so far is Yujiro on Grant, a place on Sherbrooke that sadly closed down and for lunch the place in the Portage & Main circus is passable.

Everywhere else has been kinda mediocre so far.

Toronto had really, really good sushi all over the drat place compared to Winnipeg, it's probably about the only thing I miss about the GTA.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can't honestly be equating going out for a steak dinner vs staying at home and cooking your own. Those are different activities. You are paying for more than just the slab of meat when you go out. Oh my god loving goons.

Absolutely, which is why people mentioned you can get that $50 meal somewhere else for $25 and have just as nice a meal and dining experience, and therefore the $50 one is stupid. No one so far has called for death to all restaurant owners or the like, relax!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think he's suggesting steak is best cooked the way you like it by you, and it's much cheaper that way.

If you're going out, go for something with a recipe that can't even be translated to english.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah, cooking and eating and drinking in your own space is infinitely better. Unless you live in a squat or something, then I guess I can see the appeal of sitting in a darkened barn playing top-40 garbage being served by bored 20-somethings offering manufactured cheer to the several hundred other faceless wallets they've had to deal with for the last 5 hours (and I say this as someone who did this for yeaaaaaars). If you think eating out is worthwhile - especially at a by-the-numbers corporate haven like the loving Keg - you are kidding yourself; and being ripped off for the pleasure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Karatela posted:

Absolutely, which is why people mentioned you can get that $50 meal somewhere else for $25 and have just as nice a meal and dining experience, and therefore the $50 one is stupid. No one so far has called for death to all restaurant owners or the like, relax!

Yeah somewhere nice like Denny's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cowofwar posted:

Actually, you get a juicier roast if you cook, rest and then sear. :eng101: