Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Volcott posted:

Any tips on picking compatible sticks of ram to bring the total up to 16? It's yet another thing I have no experience with.

You can mix sticks - they'll just run at the lowest setting/speed of the two. That being said, you could pick up a 2x8 kit for a song these days, here's the exact kit I use that's been purring like a kitten for four years with nary a problem: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

As for your compact space issue, GPU-wise:

1050Ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
This is strictly from eyeballing it, but I think the dual-fan 1050 Ti should fit. I'll order it from someone with a generous return policy, just in case.

Edit: yeah, should be good.

1050: 1.5 x 9 x 4.38 inches
750: 1.5 x 9.5 x 4.38 inches

I'll add it and that ram kit you linked to the list. Thanks for the assistance.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 25, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Samsung-brand Samsung for the SSD, Intel or whatever for the network card... yeah, should work out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Volcott posted:

Samsung-brand Samsung for the SSD, Intel or whatever for the network card... yeah, should work out.

Volcott posted:

I'll add it and that ram kit you linked to the list. Thanks for the assistance.

That being said, skip the 750 EVO and stick with the 850 EVO. There are some decent BF deals going at the moment - if you get a 500GB 850 EVO or larger, you get a free copy of Watch Dogs 2. Reminder: Newegg only charges tax in California, Indiana, New Jersey and Tennessee.

Also, what network card?

And no problem - keeping people from buying stuff they might end up regretting is a way I can ~pay it forward~.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 25, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Just need 100gigs or so for the OS. If there's a 200 for slightly more I'll get that instead.

Generic dual band mini pci-e so I can get that sweet 5Ghz. Something like this, I guess?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Volcott posted:

Just need 100gigs or so for the OS. If there's a 200 for slightly more I'll get that instead.

Generic dual band mini pci-e so I can get that sweet 5Ghz. Something like this, I guess?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

850 EVO 250GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372
And the 500GB + WD2 code: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

You could probably sell the WD2 code for $30 instantly, bringing the 500GB EVO down to ~$105 after Paypal fees.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Something happened.

I am the Techno Goy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Note to anyone who sprung on the PNY GTX 1060 6GB for ~$195 recently: if your card BIOS is the August 86.06.0E.00.71 version, the idle 0dB/passive cooling mode is disabled. The fans will continuously spin at 25% (roughly 800 RPM) even if temps are below 50C and you cannot set a custom fan curve below the 25% threshold. Not a big deal for me personally, since the fans are pretty much silent at 800 RPM and I have a lot of ambient noise in my den, but I thought it's worth noting for anyone who wants a card that is capable of passive/fanless cooling while idle :) You could flash the July 86.06.0E.00.3A BIOS version to get the 0dB idle cooling if you have the August BIOS, but I'm not sure or not if that voids the warranty. It probably does.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

teagone posted:

Note to anyone who sprung on the PNY GTX 1060 6GB for ~$195 recently: if your card BIOS is the August 86.06.0E.00.71 version, the idle 0dB/passive cooling mode is disabled. The fans will continuously spin at 25% (roughly 800 RPM) even if temps are below 50C and you cannot set a custom fan curve below the 25% threshold. Not a big deal for me personally, since the fans are pretty much silent at 800 RPM and I have a lot of ambient noise in my den, but I thought it's worth noting for anyone who wants a card that is capable of passive/fanless cooling while idle :) You could flash the July 86.06.0E.00.3A BIOS version to get the 0dB idle cooling if you have the August BIOS, but I'm not sure or not if that voids the warranty. It probably does.

Sounds like a job for tech support. If you had a problem with it they'd probably do something for you.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone have experience with Zotac how are their 1080s (or cards in general) compared to MSI/EVGA/Asus?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm looking at picking up a GTX 1060 6B, does it matter which one I get? What's the disadvantage of the smaller form factor ones with fewer fans? I have no plans to overclock.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Anyone have experience with Zotac how are their 1080s (or cards in general) compared to MSI/EVGA/Asus?

I've got the amp extreme and it's done great so far. Acoustic wise I can't hear it over my cpu cooler and the warmest I've gotten it under load is 67 Celsius. The only downside is how large and heavy it is.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I've got the amp extreme and it's done great so far. Acoustic wise I can't hear it over my cpu cooler and the warmest I've gotten it under load is 67 Celsius. The only downside is how large and heavy it is.

Ah well it would be just the Amp boring edition. But doing some research it's just down a cooler and clock speed.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cerepol posted:

EVGA has the best customer support, MSI's customer support is slightly better than ASUS'. Zotac's is kind of 'nonexistent' if you go by some horror stories on Reddit.

I retract my recommendation for the one I linked above.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
MSI 10x0 pcbs (and the coolers mounted on them) are pretty huge though. That can be a problem if you have an small case or a prebuilt. You can just about squeeze an EVGA GTX 1060 into a Dell XPS 8x00 case for example but you can forget about an MSI GTX 1060 gaming.

The MSI pcb is slightly too tall and too long. You have 1 or 2 mm clearance to plugin the 8 pin power connector. Its never going to happen unless you fancy cutting metal or you can somehow remove the steel frame that supports the optical and hdd drive cages.

Inverse square
Jan 21, 2008
Ah but you see I was an 06 lurker
Question: as a person who doesn't do anything more RAM intensive than gaming and browsing, is it worth getting a 64GB mobo in the name of "future proofing"? I'm going for one with a 1151 socket - so my question would be "what are the odds that we'll be done with them before >32GB of RAM is useful?".

Money is not actually a big concern but I might prefer a smaller mobo and I have narrowed down the ones I'm interested in to these, which are all either ATX or mini ITX. If you have anything specific recommendations about interpreting that list I would be interested too.

BTW any recommendations on typing wrist straps?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If you're asking if it's worth putting 64GB in a Z170 at the moment...no. We're only recommending people go with 32GB if they've a legitimate need/use for it, and gaming/web browsing doesn't qualify. Also, on a consumer board like the Z170, just because it has the *ability* to use 64GB of memory doesn't mean it'll necessarily be *happy* about doing so - the memory controllers on 'consumer/prosumer/enthusiast' motherboards generally aren't as high-quality as those found on a board like an X99, which can accommodate 128GB.

That being said, there *are* 2x16GB kits, and seeing as RAM is exceptionally cheap at the moment, if you're looking to get 3-5 *years* out of a build, there's no harm in spending a bit more (~$80-100) and getting a 2x16GB kit over a 2x8GB simply to have the overhead for future Windows OSes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way I see it is that if you're planning on needing 64 in the future you should be looking at an X99 platform anyway.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Got my black friday door crasher 500gb 850evo at Canada Computers. All I need is a Xbox One S controller and Gears 4, baby!!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is black friday or cyber monday a good time to pick up everything for a new build? Been mulling it over for a while now and want to pull the trigger soon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Is black friday or cyber monday a good time to pick up everything for a new build? Been mulling it over for a while now and want to pull the trigger soon.

FWIW, nothing in my list noticeably changed in price between making it and today (if nothing else some things actually went up). I grabbed whatever was above 25% off and ending before monday and I'm hoping on Cyber Monday things will actually drop.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Picked up:

i5 6500 for $177 through Jet
EVGA 1060 3gb for 170 through Amazon
1TB 850 Evo for 225

Keeping an eye out for any RAM/mobo deals on a z170. I'll grab a random mid or mini case based on sales later today or monday. Same with PSU.

Edit: mlbnov2516 for 5% off at newegg goes live at 1pt

vs Dinosaurs fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 25, 2016

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Picked up:

i5 6500 for $177 through Jet
EVGA 1060 3gb for 170 through Amazon
1TB 850 Evo for 225

Keeping an eye out for any RAM/mobo deals on a z170. I'll grab a random mid or mini case based on sales later today or monday. Same with PSU.

Edit: mlbnov2516 for 5% off at newegg goes live at 1pt

Where'd you get the 1tb Evo for 225?

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
250 on newegg yesterday + a 25 statement credit for paying with Amex. It also came with a watchdogs 2 code that should bring it down to under 200.

If anyone wants my watchdogs 2 code I'll sell it for under market price (currently going for 30-45) to a goon for $27.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

goodness posted:

So this is interesting..

I installed the new cpu/mobo/ram, plugged everything in, and the computer booted to windows 10 off my SSD. No reinstall required.

Is this normal>?

Turns out Windows unactivated itself. I didn't change the SSD/OS at all but it says I need to activate now. I may have to reinstall .

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Volcott posted:

There wasn't a whole lot of extra room after the 750 Ti was installed, if I recall. I'll try to take a picture later. Re: monitors, if I bought a new one, it would just be an actual 1080p with whatever improvements have been made to Dell Ultrasharp monitors in the past whatever years. 4K/VR don't interest me a whole lot at this point in time.

1080p and the GTX 1060 were practically made for one another.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

goodness posted:

Turns out Windows unactivated itself. I didn't change the SSD/OS at all but it says I need to activate now. I may have to reinstall .

That's normal when you change the motherboard. Just log in to your microsoft account and you should be fine, or call up microsoft and they'll reactivate it for you.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

The Iron Rose posted:

That's normal when you change the motherboard. Just log in to your microsoft account and you should be fine, or call up microsoft and they'll reactivate it for you.

Logging in didn't work so I guess I'll have to call them. I'm sure they won't be busy the day after Thanksgiving :suicide:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
This is what I ended up going with, started out just wanting to replace a couple parts, but after monitors, CPU/Mobo/RAM and PSU I figured I was just a couple parts away from a whole new computer and decided to go for it. CPU/Mobo/RAM was from a newegg combo deal someone posted a couple pages back

code:
Monitors        $359.98 ($1,240.02*)  2x EQD Auria Clarity EQ278C 27"
Video Card      $495.98 ($110)        Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD
CPU             $299.99 ($37)         Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
Motherboard     $139.99 ($36)         MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon LGA 1151 Intel
Memory          $88.99  ($17)         GeIL EVO X 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
Hard Drives     $67.99                1x SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD 960 GB, 1x Hitachi 3TB 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
Power Supply    $89.99  ($50)         EVGA SuperNOVA GOLD 850W Fully Modular
Case            $128.99 ($50)         Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower
Mouse           $37.95                Logitech G400s 910-003589
OS              $30                   Windows 7 Pro
Total           $1,739.85 ($1,540.02*)
(how much I saved from a BF sale)
*Monitor savings based on regular Newegg price of those monitors being $800 each, but I've seen the monitors elsewhere for over $900 and for under $200, so not sure what's going on there, but if the $800 price is normal for those monitors that was definitely the best deal of the whole thing. Already had the SSD, using my old keyboard.

Monitors, Video Card, CPU, Motherboard, Memory, HDD, PSU, Case, Mouse

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I would appreciate a second opinion this build. I followed the thread's recommendations but am unsure about the power supply. With BF (and hopefully some cyber monday) sales this should come out to about $800.

I will probably go with a different mid ATX case, that is more of a placeholder.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Am I missing something or is the EVGA GTX 980 Ti for $299 on Amazon a pretty good deal? No one on the Internet seems to be talking about it but from what I can tell the card is roughly equal in power to the GTX 1070 and is only usually considered inferior due to its higher price and higher power consumption. Still, for $70 less than the cheapest 1070 I can find today, it seems like a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-06G-P4-4996-KR/dp/B014PXHC6M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVTHL8/?tag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-1756478231-20&th=1

Fuzz posted:

This seems like a really poor decision when you can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487259

For $100 more and it literally benchmarks almost twice as fast as the card you linked, plus it has more VRAM. The SC variant is mildly cheaper (like $15) but doesn't perform as well. I was making the same choice as you and decided that in terms of relevancy for the near future, the 1070 is totally the way to go and worth the extra expenditure up front today vs half-assing it with what amounts to a 2+ year old 980 card. I went with the FTW because the crappier variants are all also discounted, but the discount on the FTW this weekend brings its cost down to negligibly higher than they are, so why not go big and then OC the card (comes with free software to do just that, to boot).

Plus it comes with Watch Dogs 2 for free, which is apparently a not-completely-poo poo game like the first one, if that matters to you. Amazon has the same deal but you don't get the free game.

Food for thought, thanks.

sound_again fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 25, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

goodness posted:

Logging in didn't work so I guess I'll have to call them. I'm sure they won't be busy the day after Thanksgiving :suicide:

The activation hotline is an automated process. You dial/dictate a bunch of numbers, you get a bunch of numbers read back, you enter those numbers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just grabbed an EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW off Newegg for barely $400 in the sale today... thanks again to the people that suggested (many pages back) to go that route with my i5 vs whole new rig. Pretty excited, and even if/when I build a new rig next year sometime the card will still be relevant and worth it to keep.

Think I'll probably take the existing rig and rebuild it into a desktop rig for my parents at that point since selling it for parts probably isn't worth it as no one would want a 4gig 670 anymore.

sound_again posted:

Am I missing something or is the EVGA GTX 980 Ti for $299 on Amazon a pretty good deal? No one on the Internet seems to be talking about it but from what I can tell the card is roughly equal in power to the GTX 1070 and is only usually considered inferior due to its higher price and higher power consumption. Still, for $70 less than the cheapest 1070 I can find today, it seems like a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Installed-Backplate-Graphics-06G-P4-4996-KR/dp/B014PXHC6M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVTHL8/?tag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-1756478231-20&th=1

This seems like a really poor decision when you can get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487259

For $100 more and it literally benchmarks almost twice as fast as the card you linked, plus it has more VRAM. The SC variant is mildly cheaper (like $15) but doesn't perform as well. I was making the same choice as you and decided that in terms of relevancy for the near future, the 1070 is totally the way to go and worth the extra expenditure up front today vs half-assing it with what amounts to a 2+ year old 980 card. I went with the FTW because the crappier variants are all also discounted, but the discount on the FTW this weekend brings its cost down to negligibly higher than they are, so why not go big and then OC the card (comes with free software to do just that, to boot).

Plus it comes with Watch Dogs 2 for free, which is apparently a not-completely-poo poo game like the first one, if that matters to you. Amazon has the same deal but you don't get the free game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 25, 2016

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hello there! I haven't upgraded my pc in a long time and it's starting to show. I picked up Planet Coaster however am not getting the best performance, and a lot of newer games I have to run at medium and would like to fix that. I'd like to know if there is anything that i can upgrade on my pc to improve performance, or if I should save up for a new build?

Here is what I currently have

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/X3Bk9W

With this monitor. https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-LI2323s-23-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KRA5RTC

I mostly play racing games, and some first person games. Looking to keep it under $300 if possible to get this back up to speed.

Also, I am currently using stock case and cpu fans and it gets super loud sometimes. Is there an easy way to figure out which fan is causing the noise, or should I unplug them one by one until I eliminate the problem? I did spray it down with a can of air recently but that really didn't change much. Should I get some better fans as well?

Thanks for the help, I'd be lost without this thread!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this is a prebuilt but is there something I'm missing or is it just a super good deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102254&ignorebbr=1

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
What's the current state of SLI? Would it be reasonable for me to buy another 980 Ti ($300) for SLI or wait and hope the 1080 Ti is ~$600?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I'm looking at picking up a GTX 1060 6B, does it matter which one I get? What's the disadvantage of the smaller form factor ones with fewer fans? I have no plans to overclock.

So from what I've read online, it's mostly a matter of the smaller ones being a bit louder for having one big fan, and being harder to cool if you plan to overclock them? If I'm just running at factory clock speeds I shouldn't really expect less performance from a mini vs the full size ones, right?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Oh, anyone happen to know how large the windows 10 ISO is, off the top of their heads?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Volcott posted:

Oh, anyone happen to know how large the windows 10 ISO is, off the top of their heads?

The install media for it is like 4 gigs. Or at least, you need at least a 4 gig flash drive to create it, some of that could be page file or something, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Volcott posted:

Small enough to fit on a single standard DVD.