Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a particular thing that forces the mission board to refresh?

Went from 150>860M today, lololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FormatAmerica posted:

Is there a particular thing that forces the mission board to refresh?

Went from 150>860M today, lololol

Wait ~15 minutes or change instance. You can do this by high waking if you are a grognard, or just switch modes (Open/Group/Solo) if you are a normal person to force it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Lately, the open/group/solo juggling isn't working that well for me. They don't refresh every time any more.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Apple Craft posted:

Please share where?

17 draconis, same as last night.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
At this point I think I'd prefer it if you only got one mission at a time, but that mission was interesting in some fashion (time limit, enemies sent after you, etc) and properly rewarded.

It feels like just logging onto the game, taking a few missions from the board and doing them is a chumps way to play when there are places where you can mill the boards for 20 identical missions and do them all at once. Half the discussion in this thread is about the latest method of short-circuiting the various grinds in the game.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FormatAmerica posted:

This 17 Draconis thing is quite nice for the wallet.

Ya I finally got in on one of these cash grabs.

Spent several hours doing it, dropping mine bombs on the skimmers, went from 45m to 415m.

Gonna try and get up to 1b before they nerf it down.

I was using a federal assault ship, I think, but you could do it in literally any ship, just stick mine launchers on the bottom, drop a mine, esc/quit once it blows up, and the 15 second combat timer will be done before the landed ship can get a chance to shoot you.

You could make hundreds of millions in your starter sidewinder just for flying it out to 17 Draconis.

A single mine is enough to destroy all the skimmers and turrets, and once you get your positioning right, it pops you back in the same spot each time you relog, so it's just a couple clicks to do it again.

And watching mine bombs fall down onto the base and blow every thing up over and over is a hell of a lot nicer than most of the repetition diarrhea in this game. It sure as gently caress beats frame shift jumping 25 times in a row, or flying through 50 mail slots.

As usual though the vast majority of the time spent "playing ED" is just switching instances to reset the mission board

:suicide:

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They need to fix the mission board already to just give you infinite missions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Truga posted:

They need to fix the mission board already to just give you infinite missions.

It should be either impossible to get 20 identical missions (EG: Blow up skimmers here, deliver thing to here) or trivial to get 20 identical missions (no logging in/out or high waking).

They need to decide how the game should be played and ensure everyone plays that way, not this "If you haven't read the Internet you play like this, but if you have you play like this" poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The ideal solution would be you can only take 1 mission, but it pays out 20 times the amount they pay out now, since you can't stack 20 anymore :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

The ideal solution would be you can only take 1 mission, but it pays out 20 times the amount they pay out now, since you can't stack 20 anymore :v:

Or 200 times for some missions :v:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm basically still waiting for them to get around to making some interesting missions before I start playing properly again. Not unique storylines or anything, just missions that are more than 'transport x amount of useless fake commodity y to destination z' or 'go to this random place and shoot x number of ships/skimmers'. The flight and combat mechanics are so solid - hopefully some day they will actually realise this and design missions that make interesting use of them.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
So I went to 17 Draconis, but I am a complete noob at this. Where is the conflict zone I am supposed to enter to complete the mission(s)?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Apple Craft posted:

So I went to 17 Draconis, but I am a complete noob at this. Where is the conflict zone I am supposed to enter to complete the mission(s)?

You don't go to a CZ. There is a settlement on the first planet that is allied with the opposite group from who you take the missions from at the space station. You then 1)kill the skimmers, 2)log out, and 3)log back in, goto 1) till you've got all your missions of massacring ships filled.

Take only the missions from I think it's the jetway group.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I know at one point, you used to be able to kill skimmers from your ship instead of needing the SRV, before Frontier nerfed that. Can you use those new ship launched fighters to kill skimmers? I wanna make spacebux, but hate the SRV!

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That's exactly what people are talking about itt.

E: killing with ships I mean, you don't need a fighter

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dolemite posted:

I know at one point, you used to be able to kill skimmers from your ship instead of needing the SRV, before Frontier nerfed that. Can you use those new ship launched fighters to kill skimmers? I wanna make spacebux, but hate the SRV!

The only real trick in using your ship is getting them to spawn, which normally only happens when you're in an SRV. With the appropriate intrusion methods, though, the base security response will kick in and skimmers will spawn as part of that response. From there, you can just nuke them with your AoE weapon of choice.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

El Grillo posted:

I'm basically still waiting for them to get around to making some interesting missions before I start playing properly again. Not unique storylines or anything, just missions that are more than 'transport x amount of useless fake commodity y to destination z' or 'go to this random place and shoot x number of ships/skimmers'. The flight and combat mechanics are so solid - hopefully some day they will actually realise this and design missions that make interesting use of them.

They have done nothing to indicate this will ever happen.

But like you said: the mechanics are solid! That combined with the best-in-class sound design make this one of the best space-sims ever for me.

Until someone goes all-in CDPR-style on hand-crafting narratives for the missions, they will never be what people want them to be. Bethesda can't even make compelling missions using RNG, I'm not sure why anyone thinks FDev will be able to. The game is what it is, and I don't expect not-Thargoids, atmospheres, or capital ships to change that.

Dolemite posted:

I think the gimmick is to use dumbfire missiles on the skimmers or just drop mines (which are now affected by gravity :science: ) on them then reinstance to respawn them and blow them up all over again. :bsg:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They have done nothing to indicate this will ever happen.

But like you said: the mechanics are solid! That combined with the best-in-class sound design make this one of the best space-sims ever for me.

Until someone goes all-in CDPR-style on hand-crafting narratives for the missions, they will never be what people want them to be. Bethesda can't even make compelling missions using RNG, I'm not sure why anyone thinks FDev will be able to. The game is what it is, and I don't expect not-Thargoids, atmospheres, or capital ships to change that.

I think the gimmick is to use dumbfire missiles on the skimmers or just drop mines (which are now affected by gravity :science: ) on them then reinstance to respawn them and blow them up all over again. :bsg:

And I think one mine will take out the whole shebang, so you can now do it with a type 6 easily. Type 6 best ship! :D

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It is possible to use lasers - I didn't properly read up before heading out there, but it is a faff and obviously much slower.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Apple Craft posted:

It's a wall of text but here's the original post:

Before we begin let me explain a few things. I actually had discovered this by accident and bordem of doing CZs. I have no idea if it is intentional for this to happen but logically it makes sense since it's still ships we are killing (explained further down). Read carefully through this as I think I covered almost every question and tried my best to be clear in the explanation on how it must be done. I'll even add a video if you are still confused on the whole process.
So you are here wondering what is this? Well I found a place that you can grind fed rank (abiet somewhat slowly) and gain BILLIONS (note the time and date in the top left, just about 24 hours + sleep and work) per a days work. Sadly there will not be a tl;dr so read carefully.
Just to also note I understand the community is split hard between mass cash grabs or grinding the game for hours to make a living. This is for the former so you if you take a moral high ground on instance resetting and loop-holing (though it may be actually intended) of missions read no further as I don't want to trigger you.
If you have any other questions feel free to add me on discord (fastest way of contact)
Joe#5400
So here is a shopping list of things you may need, you don't have to follow it word for word but it may help.
• Get a ship with a decent jump range as you are going to need to head out into BFE for this one. Fuel scoop required. Large landing pad is okay. • Highly recommend getting a second ship that is cheap and you don't mind throwing away. Aka viper. (plan is you can just transfer it to the station after you get there with main ship, will take like an hour or two) You can actually buy a viper in Paradiso (the station) but it does not have a stock of rocket pods so you will either need to bring them or transfer them. • Make sure the ship has some shields, they don't need to be strong ones but need to be able to take a hit or two from the AI ship on the ground. • BRING ROCKET PODS! (Or transfer them) I can't stress how important this step is. Bring dumbfire rockets. Not sure if class makes a difference but I'm using 2x class 2 dumbfire rockets and the rockets one hit the ships.
Alright so since we got that out of the way. The system we are going to is 17 Draconis. When you first get there you may have to do some garbage donation missions or suffer with a low payout for the massacre missions, but after you do your first stack of 20 you pretty much will be allied, and it will look something like this.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU GET THE MASSACRE MISSIONS FROM "JET BRIDGE INC" TO KILL THE "17 DRACONIS ALLIANCE" AND NOT ANYONE ELSE AS THE ONLY PLANETARY BELONGS TO YOUR TARGET.
You will lose rep from the 17 Draconis Alliance but they will give donation missions, take those and do those to offset the rep loss as much. But in the grand scheme of things you will gain more overall Fed rep/rank then you will lose it.
After you get boards that look like that you can kinda cherry pick the best missions. Amount of kills here won't matter as much as it will take you around 30 seconds to kill 6 ships and reset the instance.
So once you loadup on your stack of 20 massacre missions head out to the planetary base, Faraday Keep. (If you really want to, you could jump out of system and back in to cut the trip slightly shorter since its a 9.7kls journey...) Once there fly down to the ground and follow these steps.
• Position yourself near the AI ship sitting on the ground, above or slightly in front works just fine. Just as long as you are close enough to trigger the spawning of skimmers from the base. So something like this. • Once you have done that use your rockets to kill the Skimmers. Crazy idea I know, but it actually works. Will take you about 1-3 rockets to kill all 6. It's important that you do it quickly as the ship will start to take off, fly up, 180, and start to engage you. Depending on the ship that is spawned it usually takes around 35 seconds. • After all the Skimmers are dead, instantly log out to the main menu, you will be greated by this screen here but if you positioned yourself correctly you will make it to the main menu before the ship can start engaging you. • Log back into whatever game mode you enjoy playing, and the instance should be reset. Spawn the Skimmers again (by flying very very close to the base), kill them again and repeat. On average for allied status missions it will take you about 18 resets to finish the missions. • Mildly paying attention to the clock I noticed it takes about 20-30 minutes to do a full cycle (Stacking missions, flying out there, killing 108 ships and turning them in). But in that 20-30 minutes I make (Depending on the missions) 150-250 million credits. Now double that to make an hours worth of work and... hard to imagine 500 million credits per hour....
A quick tip and reason I mentioned the cheap ship such as the viper is because you can suicide in it and respawn at the orbital to cut the 8 minute trip shorter. Dying actually doesn't effect mission status so if you die you can still turn them in. (99% sure it used to be different)
And there you go CMDRs.
-CMDR Not Joe

In less words:

REQUIRES HORIZONS
1. buy sidewinder, eagle, viper, whatever cheap ship, outfit with dumbfire rockets

2. Fly other ship to 17 draconis (only one station)

3. Transfer sidewinder to 17 draconis (should take just over an hour from the bubble)

Steps 1-3 can be replaced by bringing launchers on your travel ship, then buying a viper in 17 draconis, either way:

4. Now you can start stacking massacre missions for Jet Bridge inc. At the same time, take donation missions to get to allied quicker, and also take donation missions from their enemies (17 draconis alliance) to keep your rep with them from falling too low.

5. Once you have 20 missions, fly to the one landable base, and pay attention to your positioning as you approach.

POSITIONING~!

You want to be sitting almost directly on top of the landed defense ship, a little to the left, with the 4 round structures centered in your reticule, looking towards the ground at approx. -30 to -45 degrees.

7. When you get close enough, skimmers will spawn. Use dumbfires to explode them. If you've positioned well, and learn the timing of the spawn, it's possible to get 4 of 6 with the first rocket.

8. As quickly as you can, save and exit to main menu, re-enter the game in the same mode. If you're still positioned well, the skimmers should spawn immediately, and under your reticule just in time for your hardpoints to deploy.

9. Repeat until missions all complete (8 to 13 refreshes)

10. Suicide back and skip the 9,000 LS journey

11. Turn in for big money, don't forget to sell commodities. If your cargo is full you cannot accept missions with commodity rewards.

12. Back to step 4

Pay scales with combat rank. I timed a mission clear, and I went from launching ship to claiming rewards in just under 30 minutes. An hour or so of board-scumming involved before that. 120m that run, more is possible, my combat rank sucks, but it's going up fast now.

In theory you can make similar cash by finding a different system with the same conditions. ie. civil war, one planetary base, etc.

17 Draconis is back at war for now, but probably not for long.

fake edit: My estimate is that this starts out in the first couple hours at 20-40m per hour, then up to 100m/hour, and depending on your combat rank and your tolerance for board-scumming up to 200m per hour if you only take missions over 10m. So it's the best around as far as I know, get in now or consign yourself to less efficient spacejobs.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 25, 2016

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's slightly faster to jump to a local starsystem then back to 17 Draconis to get to the place where you land.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Doesnt reinstancing plop your rear end in orbit around the planet?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
No, it puts you back exactly where you were.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Doesnt reinstancing plop your rear end in orbit around the planet?

Not unless this is new, I haven't played today yet.

..btt posted:

No, it puts you back exactly where you were.

need more coffee, too slow...

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
For those of you that are heartbroken you don't have the "Midnight Black" skins from pre-ordering Horizons, you can purchase them today one ship at a time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol this is like an atm shooting money out into the street

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Feels good to finally get in on one of these paydays. trying to overdo it as much as i can tolerate. I plan on buying big ships and getting them lit up.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

SpannerX posted:

You don't go to a CZ. There is a settlement on the first planet that is allied with the opposite group from who you take the missions from at the space station. You then 1)kill the skimmers, 2)log out, and 3)log back in, goto 1) till you've got all your missions of massacring ships filled.

Take only the missions from I think it's the jetway group.

When you position yourself in the right spot, you can just fire 1-2 times, relog, fire 1-2 times, relog. Finish all the missions, then silent run and eat the ground.

Here is my video demonstrating the process of this 'gameplay' - just do it exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrkOCRbNL_k

Kavros fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 25, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alehkhs posted:

For those of you that are heartbroken you don't have the "Midnight Black" skins from pre-ordering Horizons, you can purchase them today one ship at a time.

:unsmith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Finally a use case for the Asp Scout.

Also 2 billion credits in assets :toot:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Is this bonanza likely to last through the weekend? Not going to be able to play until tomorrow and after bumbling around on Wednesday night being able to grind a lifetime worth of credits in 2 days would be awesome.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
It is a complete bonanza that outstrips the intended rate of monetary gain available to players by orders of magnitude. They have to close it. The only question is when they will manage to do so.

As a former world champion of missing money-making opportunities, I am well acquainted with the act of being late to these opportunities by under an hour. Never assume they will last, but be pleasantly surprised if they do.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Sure it's an exploit but if it allows people to have fun in their internet spaceship game by being able to buy the cool internet spaceships then what's the harm? Only the crazy ones are going to farm up 10 billion credits for lulz as there's nothing in the game that costs more than a few hundred mil anyway.

Edit: the game breaker here isn't the missions themselves but the fact that a kill counts for multiple missions at once. And that a skimmer kill counts the same as an elite Anaconda.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

The question is the same as always: what does this earning rate actually break?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Uh holy poo poo guys let me at least have a "buy all" button or make a package for several/all ships, adding 29 skins one by one is not fun :v:

Also, everytime one of these money farming ways get discovered and "exploited" it makes it more hilarious to be new/someone who didn't play when you'd walk uphill in the snow haul poop or mass murder skimmers for easy money. Many people will have absolute billions and others have a handful of millions and wonder how the gently caress they're supposed to buy a ship for 100 million because FDev insists that things SHOULD be paying 10k (and that's what the game communicates to someone who doesn't know better), when most of the people crying for the good old hard days made hundreds of millions in no time, got their rep basically for free and complain about loving console kiddie freeloaders who want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

I just want a $-bonanza without combat again, I like space trucking and exploration more than shooting triangles in space :ohdear:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Tippis posted:

The question is the same as always: what does this earning rate actually break?

The heart of a forum dad

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

DogonCrook posted:

The heart of a forum dad

Well, that's one good argument for keeping it, I suppose.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Sure it's an exploit but if it allows people to have fun in their internet spaceship game by being able to buy the cool internet spaceships then what's the harm?

I could make the case for the 'harm' from a game development standpoint, because you're supposed to regulate progression somehow and these bonanza situations do create negative repercussions for the entire gameplay structure. Rendering entire elements of the game useless, for instance.

I'm just not particularly interested in carrying about that harm because these bonanza situations are IN PRACTICE our greatest buffer against the ailing, overly grindy economic structure of the game. I feel like we have to participate in these moments to protect ourselves from the bullshit of having to earn a few hundred thousand credits at a time while perpetually risking a multi million credit loss on our ship that can cause demoralizing loss of progress.

One time, a couple of bullshit deaths undid two weeks of my work in making profit. I almost uninstalled.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kavros posted:

I could make the case for the 'harm' from a game development standpoint, because you're supposed to regulate progression somehow and these bonanza situations do create negative repercussions for the entire gameplay structure. Rendering entire elements of the game useless, for instance.

I'm just not particularly interested in carrying about that harm because these bonanza situations are IN PRACTICE our greatest buffer against the ailing, overly grindy economic structure of the game. I feel like we have to participate in these moments to protect ourselves from the bullshit of having to earn a few hundred thousand credits at a time while perpetually risking a multi million credit loss on our ship that can cause demoralizing loss of progress.

One time, a couple of bullshit deaths undid two weeks of my work in making profit. I almost uninstalled.

Should have gitten gud :smuggo:

This just goes to show that the game would work better as a pure single player/coop game without the forced MMO mechanics/"economy", as bonanzas are required for many to have fun with spaceships without having to worry too much about their wallet status. From a game balance/design point of view they're really bad though, particularly because they can also ruin someone's time in game because they feel like they have to drop everything to participate in making good money while it lasts, which is somewhat justified when you're looking at the general reward structure. It would be much better if rewards were simply balanced at a much higher level for ALL activities so bonanzas mattered much less - if one slips through it's not the end of the world because doing everything else pays well enough compared to, say, having to go back to hauling passengers for 10% of the same payout (or whatever it actually is). It only becomes a problem (of turbonerds getting eg. 100m vs. everyone else's 10m) if you want to have a balanced player economy, which this game really doesn't to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kavros posted:

I feel like at this point, this IS the endgame/metagame of Elite: Dangerous. Finding whatever dumb loophole in the game systems that allows you to make measurable progress and humping the hell out of it until it gets patched out of existence. Then look for the next one.

Until you reach the true endgame, which is having enough money to not give a poo poo about anything anymore, going space mad, and heading out into the black forever

• Locked thread