Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

IllegallySober posted:

Darn. :(

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a little while and see.

I wouldn't worry about it. OSB Fest came right after OK in Japan, so of course Onion Bracers wouldn't have been on their banners. For us there's a whole month between the two. DeNA knows what people get excited about and they'll want to make sure people spend as much as possible between the festival and the XIV event that will be running at almost the same time, so I'd be shocked if Onion Bracers weren't on our banners. Plus, the upside of waiting is that it'll be grouped with a bunch of other strong relics rather than a lot of stuff for a rarely-supported realm. There will be plenty of opportunities to chase Onion Bracers in the future.

I've decided that I'm satisfied by my one pull on OK despite getting neither OK relic. I've got two melee weapons and a healer stick for III now, and it just doesn't make sense to spend any more with 3 dupes on the banner already. So now I have much more mythril than I anticipated having after this week (despite the BSB lucky draw being full price), which means more pulls on Minfilia/OSB Fest/TG Cid. Although I am side-eying Squall OSB 1 so I can finally deal with Mote Ifrit... none of the future VIII banners are especially good for it. I'll have to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Don't worry too much about Onion Motes right now if you're struggling even a little with +++ fights. The 5 you get from leveling him to 80 during the event (don't forget to do this! it's time-limited!) are enough to unlock Support 5 and one of Combat 5, Black 5, or White 5 depending on how you want to run him. We'll also get the Ahriman mote dungeon soon, which comes back every month and is a farmable source of Onion Motes (though you won't be able to clear it if you're struggling with +++ fights, you will be able to eventually, like when Alphinaud's BSB is released and you can RW it to obliterate Ahriman).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is there going to be another exp dungeon with the ultimates?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The highest level Onion EXP dungeon is pretty drat good to run, though, even with non-FF3 characters. Almost like an extended Sundaily of sorts. I've been learning all my new BSB's in it today.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
yeah its 140000 xp compared to sundaily's 175000 but no greens and fewer eggs

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Don't worry too much about Onion Motes right now if you're struggling even a little with +++ fights. The 5 you get from leveling him to 80 during the event (don't forget to do this! it's time-limited!) are enough to unlock Support 5 and one of Combat 5, Black 5, or White 5 depending on how you want to run him. We'll also get the Ahriman mote dungeon soon, which comes back every month and is a farmable source of Onion Motes (though you won't be able to clear it if you're struggling with +++ fights, you will be able to eventually, like when Alphinaud's BSB is released and you can RW it to obliterate Ahriman).

Good to know! I figure I'll just clear the dungeon for his MC3 and go back to the realm dungeon grind then. I really, really, really want more stamina. Plus I still have a lot of mythril to mine.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I was hoping for last years 3 lucky draws and 50 mithril

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

superloosegoose posted:

It was 75. That was so fun. Still have an 8* spellblade because of it.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
In fairness, REVENGE LUCKY DRAW is probably coming up in about three days!

for the love of god do not draw on Revenge Lucky Draw unless they have improved it

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got Lightbringer and Stardust Rod from the Black Friday draw. Time to use Celes, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

superloosegoose posted:

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was 75. That was so fun. Still have an 8* spellblade because of it.

You two are thinking of the anniversary, which was 3 lucky draws and 75 mythril. Last year's Black Friday was 25 mythril and a single Lucky Draw.

If you think last year's anniversary was good, hoo boy, wait for the end of March for the 2nd Anniversary Celebration.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sometimes I think they are too generous for a f2p game

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!

Mill Village posted:

I got Lightbringer and Stardust Rod from the Black Friday draw. Time to use Celes, right?

I was really, really hoping for Lightbringer. Although I did score a Flame Staff, Ashe's Defiance, and a Lunar Stinger, so I shouldn't complain.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Mill Village posted:

Out of curiosity, are you dealing with Terra's Stardust Rod or Minwu's?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

In fairness, REVENGE LUCKY DRAW is probably coming up in about three days!

for the love of god do not draw on Revenge Lucky Draw unless they have improved it

What was wrong with it last time? (I'd actually like an excuse to skip it because that would put me back on plan despite the Black Friday pull being full price)

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Holy poo poo, managed to come back to the Flan Master and mastered it! Putting Dr. Mog on Eiko BSB with Mako Might on Ramza gave me enough offense and survivability to weather the initial onslaught, while Lightning built to her SSB enhanced with Kaiser Shield, and Aerith providing double BSB healing to prevent any falls. What a horrible fight, but I'm glad it's over.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Jecht BSB, Ashe BSB, and Firion BSB. I'm pretty stoked. Finally got a drat vanilla mage BSB (I have hope's).

So cool

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

50 mythril pulls on OK and BSB banners.
Onion Gauntlets
Onion Sword
Lust Dagger
Lightbringer VI
Wizer Rod
Glorious Armguard

That'll do

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

LornMarkus posted:

What was wrong with it last time? (I'd actually like an excuse to skip it because that would put me back on plan despite the Black Friday pull being full price)

Basically the lucky draw in JP had the items that those revenge bosses had in their original events, just all mashed together in one Lucky Draw pool.

So imagine if a lucky draw full of stuff from before BSB's or OSB's were even a thing.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

What are good sources of wind imperil? I got Luneth's BSB and Freya's SSB for en-wind, and then Bartz' 4-element BSB that is boosted with a bunch of +spellblade.

Also interested in fire related gear. I got Balthier's SSB + BSB and a Red Armlet. That by itself is enough to make him a one-man wrecking crew with fire, but I'd like to also try and leverage the imperil fire with more characters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

What are good sources of wind imperil? I got Luneth's BSB and Freya's SSB for en-wind, and then Bartz' 4-element BSB that is boosted with a bunch of +spellblade.

Faris's SSB is coming up in the next ff5 event I believe.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Faris's SSB is coming up in the next ff5 event I believe.

Faris's BSB isnt imperil wind. One of her SSB armors is though.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
More stupid newbie questions! I spent my stocked mythril per thread advice, one pull on the Lucky Black Friday banner and two on Keepers Choice 2, and wound up with a good handful of new 5*s. I got the following BSBs:

Gilgamesh
Squall
Garland
Auron
Eiko
Minwu
Terra

And Bartz's SSB as well. Setting aside I literally have none of those characters so far, is there some cohesive team I should look at putting together, or some particular characters that will be more useful than others? Or is it still just use a 3 dps/1 heal/1 support team, varying on Realm synergy, for the foreseeable future?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

With that list, get Eiko, Minwu, Gilgamesh, Auron and Garland and you should have an extremely solid team with haste/attack buffing/tons of healing/built in Drawtaliate for SBs, until you can get a standard attack booster(Like Shout, or Vessel of Fate).

It's a bit healing heavy, but it's an incredibly solid start.

Also, I hate you a little. :unsmith:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thaddius the Large posted:

More stupid newbie questions! I spent my stocked mythril per thread advice, one pull on the Lucky Black Friday banner and two on Keepers Choice 2, and wound up with a good handful of new 5*s. I got the following BSBs:

Gilgamesh
Squall
Garland
Auron
Eiko
Minwu
Terra

And Bartz's SSB as well. Setting aside I literally have none of those characters so far, is there some cohesive team I should look at putting together, or some particular characters that will be more useful than others? Or is it still just use a 3 dps/1 heal/1 support team, varying on Realm synergy, for the foreseeable future?
Minwu is probably a good choice for you for the foreseeable future, due to the hastega on his BSB, but all of those are solid. Eiko's BSB is one of the best just because it's a really good healer BSB that also buffs party crit. In general just pick up people as you can. Gilgamesh may be particularly useful to you for getting through realms because of the innate drawtaliate on his BSB though.

In OK news, I've already maxed out 9 of his 12 spheres and am well on my way to having the omni-capable unit :toot:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Also interested in fire related gear. I got Balthier's SSB + BSB and a Red Armlet. That by itself is enough to make him a one-man wrecking crew with fire, but I'd like to also try and leverage the imperil fire with more characters.

I have Ogre and Fang's BSB for imperil wind and Luneth's BSB + Freya SSB + Squall BSB for wind damage i guess

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, I felt kind of bad going "hay guyz did I pull good :downs:" after seeing some of the poo poo pulls from others. Not particularly bad, you know, certainly not enough to avoid asking, but a slight twinge and whatnot. I'm mostly just curious because I still have yet to get a feel for any sort of strategy or direction in this game, 99% of the early game seems to be plow throw as many levels as quickly as possible on auto-attack, with the other 1% being use a RW on a boss as necessary, which is not often outside of cheesing the three events I've thus far seen.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, I felt kind of bad going "hay guyz did I pull good :downs:" after seeing some of the poo poo pulls from others. Not particularly bad, you know, certainly not enough to avoid asking, but a slight twinge and whatnot. I'm mostly just curious because I still have yet to get a feel for any sort of strategy or direction in this game, 99% of the early game seems to be plow throw as many levels as quickly as possible on auto-attack, with the other 1% being use a RW on a boss as necessary, which is not often outside of cheesing the three events I've thus far seen.

No worries, it's just that you got more Bursts than I have total from three pulls. :v:

Good fortune is cool, enjoy it.

If you want my general advice; Get that team going and focus on getting Lifesiphon(maybe even multiple copies, given how many Bursts you have...), Shellga and Protectga(Definitely in that order, given that you have Gilgamesh BSB you can often at least partially mitigate physicals), various Breakdowns(Magic is the best because it has the highest impact, Attack and Defense are good, Mental is good but niche to mage teams) and look up how to get the Mako Might/Dr. Mog's Teaching Record Materia, for good earlygame goals.

Oh, and before you do that, make some Double Cuts and basic Breaks, so you have something to hit things with while you're actually trying to manage that. (By the way, Breaks and Breakdowns don't stack-a Break only stacks with another break if it hits multiple stats/a different set of multiple stats. So something that drops a lot of stats stacks with something that drops one stat, but something that drops one stat more than another thing that drops the same stat won't. Probably. Same goes with buffs.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

AstraSage posted:

Out of curiosity, are you dealing with Terra's Stardust Rod or Minwu's?

Minwu's

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Bought some iTunes credit on discount from Costco and rage pulled again on OK. I'm not proud of what I did, but I got the gauntlets and the sword.

Anger wins again! :argh:

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Are we gonna see mote dungeons reopen anytime soon? I'm only a couple 4*s away from finishing Ninja on Onion Knight and only just remembered I have no clue where to find more 4*s outside of those.

EDIT: LITERALLY TOMORROW, I AM A MORON. My second question stands

Vprisoner fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 25, 2016

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does anybody have the Synergy stats of the Wightslayer reforged?

Want to know if it's worth the Dark Matter.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I really like that there's an EXP dungeon attached to this event. It'd be cool if DenA could make a special EXP dungeon for each event going forward, so you could reasonably start catching up some of your under-leveled heroes without having to go all-in on Sundaily each week.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

Bought some iTunes credit on discount from Costco and rage pulled again on OK. I'm not proud of what I did, but I got the gauntlets and the sword.

Anger wins again! :argh:

I don't wanna know this. I dont want to pull for a fourth time because I'm fixated on a multifaceted buffer item that I won't get. I already pulled Gungnir, Lust Dagger and Onion Sword. I really, really don't need to pull on this again!

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I've been playing the game for about a year and a half spare a break for about five months when one of the ultimate dungeons pissed me off.

Anyway, I've been seeing here and there that Onion Knight is OP as hell but I only have so many growth eggs currently and I've filled three character spheres completely.

I filled Black, Red, and White mage as well as Knight.

What's the best path for raising his physical/magical defense and health?

*edit*

My goal ultimately is to make him a tank support.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Wilekat posted:

I don't wanna know this. I dont want to pull for a fourth time because I'm fixated on a multifaceted buffer item that I won't get. I already pulled Gungnir, Lust Dagger and Onion Sword. I really, really don't need to pull on this again!

Yes, just stop. Even though I've been vacillating about it myself, but ultimately I now have very good III synergy coverage. You and I are more likely pull dupes than the gauntlets at this point.

Be strong, and start hoarding up for XIV.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

paperwind posted:

I really like that there's an EXP dungeon attached to this event. It'd be cool if DenA could make a special EXP dungeon for each event going forward, so you could reasonably start catching up some of your under-leveled heroes without having to go all-in on Sundaily each week.

i think its just running off the gimmick that onion knight is in desperate need of levels to be useful so they provide a means to give him levels

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Munoma posted:

I've been playing the game for about a year and a half spare a break for about five months when one of the ultimate dungeons pissed me off.

Anyway, I've been seeing here and there that Onion Knight is OP as hell but I only have so many growth eggs currently and I've filled three character spheres completely.

*edit*

The stats from his motes aren't a big deal, the only spheres that matter are the ones that take him from 3* to 5* in a skill, so in your case support and probably combat. His stats just start rising above pathetic levels from level 92 to 99.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

paperwind posted:

Yes, just stop. Even though I've been vacillating about it myself, but ultimately I now have very good III synergy coverage. You and I are more likely pull dupes than the gauntlets at this point.

Be strong, and start hoarding up for XIV.

Yeah, in fairness I had pulled eff-all for the OK1 banner beforehand. If I'd already gotten literally anything I actually wanted, I probably wouldn't have done it, and even though I'd love to get a dragoon relic to use my new Lightning Dives, I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

*edit*

The real important thing is to get him to level 93 and above. Before you get him to that level, all of his stats are abysmal. Like being "Literally the worst at everything"-levels of abysmal. But at level 99 his stats are monstrously high.

His Record spheres are mostly for skill access. To get support access, you want Knight 5 -> Unlock Viking -> Viking 5. That gives him access to Support 5*. That'll cover support needs nicely.

• Locked thread