Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard that abilities like compoundeyes and synchronize don't work while chaining unless they're the pokemon you have out

Well that's unfortunate

Took me about twenty encounters to find a dhelmise but at least I got 5 bottle caps out of the whole deal

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My Gen 7 team I'm planning on is

Decidueye
Lycanroc (M)
Salazzle
Araquanid

I was going to use Vikavolt and Crabominable to round out, but waiting to the end of the game to evolve is getting on my nerves. What are similar pokemon to replace those two or get better type coverage?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

My Gen 7 team I'm planning on is

Decidueye
Lycanroc (M)
Salazzle
Araquanid

I was going to use Vikavolt and Crabominable to round out, but waiting to the end of the game to evolve is getting on my nerves. What are similar pokemon to replace those two or get better type coverage?

You can just ask someone here to trade with you, attach a rare candy to your charjabug or crabrawler, have the other person use the rare candy in the appropriate spot and trade back. They other person will be getting up to four dex entries out of it I'm sure you'd find someone to help you in no time

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 26, 2016

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Use Bewear and Alolan Raichu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea stufful/bewear is very good and alolan raichu is pretty much your only option for new electric types for a long time

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Well that's unfortunate

Took me about twenty encounters to find a dhelmise but at least I got 5 bottle caps out of the whole deal

Wait what? How are you farming bottle caps?

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

Wait what? How are you farming bottle caps?

Fishing on the steelix boat

I have six total in my inventory now so maybe that's a pretty significant spot huh

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 26, 2016

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Crosspeice posted:

They were excellent games in every aspect apart from Gen 2 parts. Same with ORAS: it was great if you ignored all the terrible backwards crap it kept from Gen 3. And the fact they were RS remakes, when RS are some of the worst Pokemon games.

Yeah gen 3 did a lot right (added abilities and nature) but the actual gameplay was slow, painful, and dumb with a lot of the new poo poo just being frustrating and stupid rather than interesting, and all of the gyms ranged from forgettable to "I really wish I could become champion and evict you and your stupid twin".

ORAS was fun in spite of being gen 3 remakes. HGSS wasn't as bad because I didn't hate gen 2 nearly as much!

But speaking of gen 2, gen 7 so far has the OPPOSITE problem; in gen 2, wild encounters tended to drop off drastically and suddenly around level 20-30. You'd suddenly never find anything higher than level 30, even on Victory Road it was only 33-35, meaning when you ran out of trainers your level 40+ mons were basically stranded waiting for a Hiker to call to rematch his level 37 Geodude.

But gen 7, wild pokemon, if I turn off the exp share, tend to start creeping up and outleveling some of my lower level dudes.

And, in spirit of being the opposite, I have the opposite reaction; I loving LOVE this. Big experience and wild encounters that aren't trivial wastes of PP or HP as I try profusely to run away.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Boomstick Quaid posted:

You can just ask someone here to trade with you, attach a rare candy to your charjabug or crabrawler, have the other person use the rare candy in the appropriate spot and trade back. They other person will be getting up to four dex entries out of it I'm sure you'd find someone to help you in no time

so I need a friend code for this?

I have no idea how to find mine

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea stufful/bewear is very good and alolan raichu is pretty much your only option for new electric types for a long time

this also works

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Counterpoint: Alolan Raichu looks like trash while Vikavolt is much cooler with a neat type.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

so I need a friend code for this?

I have no idea how to find mine

this also works
In the home screen, click on the orange little happy face icon and go to your entry (it's the second one). It might prompt you to make a Mii first, but then that's where you find your friend code. It's the XXXX-XXXX-XXXX number.

Internet Kraken posted:

Counterpoint: Alolan Raichu looks like trash while Vikavolt is much cooler with a neat type.

Countercounterpoint: You're half dumb because Alolan Raichu looks cool and good Vikivolt IS cool, too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Internet Kraken posted:

don't you diss my pancake son

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

4957-3172-3374 for some endgame trading

GJ gamefreak

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Vikavolt isn't even the coolest pokemon in its evolutionary line. Hint: it's Charjabug.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think since all of the alola-dex pokemon only have pickup in their initial form--or are Trumbeak and it's only a HA--they just did away with the pickup table and instead have a simple pickup list, like they originally did. I've been getting big nuggets, sun stones and destiny knots on things between level 1 and 30. Similarly, a level 50+ thing is still able to get great balls and repels.

I guess they could've made some new, complex table but that seems far less likely.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

:glomp:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
W...what even is Battle Royale? This feels so unfair :qq:

Their Pokémon are oneshotting me with moves that aren't even effective, and even my strongest moves only do 50-60% of their health. I have done it three times now and never gotten a single KO. I'm... not looking forward to doing this hundreds of times for the EV items (heck, not even 18 times for a single item tbh). Someone please just give me a solid team that I can train up and use forever, because this 5 fps nightmare isn't my favorite thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alolan raichu is really good

I mean yea vikavolt looks better but that's a high bar. you also have a ton of great bug options this gen but not a whole lot for electric types

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My Buddy!! :3:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Vikavolt is super cool, and it's a real shame it's completely neutered by it's awful-even-by-alola-standards speed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Your Computer posted:

Their Pokémon are oneshotting me with moves that aren't even effective, and even my strongest moves only do 50-60% of their health. I have done it three times now and never gotten a single KO. I'm... not looking forward to doing this hundreds of times for the EV items (heck, not even 18 times for a single item tbh). Someone please just give me a solid team that I can train up and use forever, because this 5 fps nightmare isn't my favorite thing.
UBs are legal, as are Tapus - you can make some kind of "small child who just discovered they can use pseudo-legendaries" abomination and also maybe Alolan Golem with Explosion or whatever, just plan to 1-for-1 them and win by having a faster set of glass cannons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

I managed to beat the first two levels eventually but yeah you can already tell they're min-maxed at the first level and have great and improbable coverage. By level two everyone is mega evolving and you generally have to win through luck, imo. Level three is impossible, nobody tell me otherwise.

The problem is you need to get these power items to train your pokemon in a reasonable amount of time, but you have to get your rear end kicked a lot to do that. :qq:

I wonder if there's some way I could share my replays because every time I won it was through dumb luck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This Honchkrow just killed literally everyone with Sucker Punch. 1-hit-KO'ed everyone with Sucker Punch :stare: On the easiest difficulty.

Also, apparently Sucker Punch attacks the one who was "supposed" to move first because I just got the message "Shuckle moves first due to the Quick Claw" and then I was hit. :confused:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Your Computer posted:

This Honchkrow just killed literally everyone with Sucker Punch. 1-hit-KO'ed everyone with Sucker Punch :stare: On the easiest difficulty.

Also, apparently Sucker Punch attacks the one who was "supposed" to move first because I just got the message "Shuckle moves first due to the Quick Claw" and then I was hit. :confused:

Quick Claw simply maxes out your speed for the current turn. It does not affect priority.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Quick Claw simply maxes out your speed for the current turn. It does not affect priority.

Well at least I learned something new! :v:

This place though... It definitely feels weird that even the lowest difficulty is this hard, even with the UBs I've only gotten 1 KO so far. I want the BP for items that let me make my Pokémon more efficient/optimal but it feels like I need optimal Pokémon to even get them.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Well at least I learned something new! :v:

This place though... It definitely feels weird that even the lowest difficulty is this hard, even with the UBs I've only gotten 1 KO so far. I want the BP for items that let me make my Pokémon more efficient/optimal but it feels like I need optimal Pokémon to even get them.

Just deplete one dude of all three of their Pokemon as fast as possible

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

The face of the destroyer right there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Final town in the second island, so after 4th trial but before 2nd Kahuna. There's a shop that sells stones.

I feel so stupid because I was literally right outside of it and talked to someone who said "The next town has a shop with stones that evolve Pokemon!" literally immediately after I made that post.

So now my next dumb question I'll probably find out in five minutes, anywhere I can have Pokemon I'm not using level up? The nursery doesn't do it in this game. I thought Isle Evelup would do it but apparently it just increased my stats. I want to just get a bunch I don't care about in the range where I can evolve them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's an NPC in one of the pokemon centre that questions if the pokemon are concious & aware when they're stored in the PC. Wtf this is a childrens game I don't need NPC's to be this woke.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

greatn posted:

I feel so stupid because I was literally right outside of it and talked to someone who said "The next town has a shop with stones that evolve Pokemon!" literally immediately after I made that post.

So now my next dumb question I'll probably find out in five minutes, anywhere I can have Pokemon I'm not using level up? The nursery doesn't do it in this game. I thought Isle Evelup would do it but apparently it just increased my stats. I want to just get a bunch I don't care about in the range where I can evolve them.

Well there's the daycare but honestly with the new xp share and scaled xp it's not too hard to level up Pokemon pretty quickly by just having your party consist of 1 strong pokemon and 5 weak ones, and taking on wild pokemon that are of a higher level than the ones you want levelled up. That's what I did at any rate.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Blind Pokemon Moon Nuzlocke attempt #3 update:

So I just reached Tapu Village and decided to poke around before I go directly to the spot the game is telling me to for the next trial. I hit a patch of grass and immediately get excited: new named area, new grass, new Pokemon. The first one I encounter is a level 30 Absol. I swap in my starter (Decidueye, level 42) w/False Swipe to whittle it down so I can catch it without killing it.

One hit of False Swipe takes it to about 50%, so I expect to have it caught by turn 3 if I'm lucky. It's first turn it opens with sword dance.

Another hit of False Swipe takes it down to red HP. I'm about ready to catch it when Absol throws out Night Slash. "Ok, it's buffed, and probably super effective, but my starter is way higher level and has survived worse up until now..."

:stare:

One starter, a nearly murdered second and third Pokemon, a ton of potions, a half dozen great balls and a few ultra balls later I finally caught the drat thing and it turns out it has as much attack as my starter does, despite being twelve levels lower, though its defensive stats aren't so great.

But it killed my starter, despite being way lower level than it, so I think this glass cannon might be a keeper.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
For battle royal the number one move you want is Protect (it's a tm you can buy early on). Unless you get unlucky and get pokemon spamming buff moves most enemy pokemon use either area attacks or the highest power super-effective moves against you. On the second turn if you have either priority or a fast pokemon you can usually get a pick-off and get in at least 2nd/3rd

Also I forgot how annoying breeding can be, where even with the oval charm and a flame body bird the rng mocks you. I'm trying to breed a Pickup Meowth team and since I just need two more the game decides to give me five Technician ones in my last batch :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ugh legendaries with multiple plausible natures are the worst

Someone tell me what nature to make my Tapu Fini

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Charjabug has one of the best cries in the whole game

Actually almost all of my team had the best cries: Primarina, Tsareena, Chargabug, Mimikyu's loud rear end cry, Salandit's awesome heckling whenever it dies because it's a lovely male

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is a good level to evolve my Pikachu?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I like how Mimikyu's cry is basically its best attempt at saying "Pikachu". I would also have accepted a slightly distorted version of Pikachu's original cry, but that reference would have easily been lost on newer players.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EV training takes so long now I had a shiny Alomomola show up before I could even max my HP stat past halfway :regd09:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well there's the daycare but honestly with the new xp share and scaled xp it's not too hard to level up Pokemon pretty quickly by just having your party consist of 1 strong pokemon and 5 weak ones, and taking on wild pokemon that are of a higher level than the ones you want levelled up. That's what I did at any rate.
That's the way to do it, but if you want XP overnight the answer is Isle Evelup in Poke Pelago. You have to catch something like 45 fuckin pokemon first to build it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

Ugh legendaries with multiple plausible natures are the worst

Someone tell me what nature to make my Tapu Fini

Imo timid, since it doesn't have recovery but can still work as support.