Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCAmeICKts

I need to get a Tiny Whoop.... (and never be as good a pilot!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I need to buy a DVR to record my QX90 antics.

I was diving the recently poured foundation next door the other day and have been treating the rafters in the gym like the death star trench.

Small quads are so much fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, I have a little teeny $20 indoor quad I bought in the checkout line at Ross. It's such a blast to fly that now I want a QX90 as well.

I have a Turnigy 9X radio. The QX90s I see on AliExpress and BangGood have a bunch of different rx options. What's the best transmitter/receiver module for me to go with if I wanted to swap my 9X to something that's more common and compatible than Turnigy's own 2.4GHz stuff?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Probably either FRSKY or Spektrum depending on what your plans for the future are.

Spektrum if you like the BNF offerings from Horizon hobbies (E-flite, parkzone, etc)

Frsky if you want cheap small telemetry RX's that are great for FPV racing and other longer range applications.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I have a little teeny $20 indoor quad I bought in the checkout line at Ross. It's such a blast to fly that now I want a QX90 as well.

I have a Turnigy 9X radio. The QX90s I see on AliExpress and BangGood have a bunch of different rx options. What's the best transmitter/receiver module for me to go with if I wanted to swap my 9X to something that's more common and compatible than Turnigy's own 2.4GHz stuff?

http://www.getfpv.com/frsky-xjt-16ch-radio-transmitter-module-jr-graupner-type.html

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Spektrum is smaller, cheaper, unidirectional and shorter range. Choose accordingly.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

insta posted:

Spektrum is smaller, cheaper, unidirectional and shorter range. Choose accordingly.

Just how bad is it? I have a Spektrum and I use satellites on my two quads and I've never had a failsafe. I've run out of video plenty of times though.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
After stumbling across some FPV videos on Youtube, I picked up a cheap Eachine E010 with the usual plans to build it into a China Whoop. It was great fun to fly around the house and in the office where I work. I made sure to let everyone try and fly it (so they wouldn't be quite so mad when I crashed into them) and after a couple of weeks the frame was too broken to be salvageable. Parts are already on order but I'm wondering if they'll arrive this year.

I managed a trade that netted me a Taranis and a JJRC H8 mini. That thing was fantastic. I was going to use Goebish's module and flash the firmware to Silverware but on the second day I had it I was playing with high rates in the parking lot of a large church. The last time I saw it, it was hauling rear end around the corner of the building. I went back on 4 separate occasions to look for it with no success. Oh well, replacements are $12 and also on order. I wonder if it'll get here before or after the replacement frames for the E010?

Things I've learned since buying this stuff and reading the last 100 pages of this thread:
1: I need to figure out how to mount a buzzer on anything I fly outside
2: Pay for the better shipping options from Banggood
3: You don't have enough spares

insta
Jan 28, 2009

McMadCow posted:

Just how bad is it? I have a Spektrum and I use satellites on my two quads and I've never had a failsafe. I've run out of video plenty of times though.

Depending on elevation and orientation, you'll get about as far as a 600mw 5.8ghz with cloverleaf antennas. A buddy of mine went failsafe about 300 yards away, like a four minute walk, with his quad. Using a DX5e and orangerx receiver.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

insta posted:

Depending on elevation and orientation, you'll get about as far as a 600mw 5.8ghz with cloverleaf antennas. A buddy of mine went failsafe about 300 yards away, like a four minute walk, with his quad. Using a DX5e and orangerx receiver.

Eh, you can get pretty drat far on 600mw 5.8ghz. My flyable range on 200mw 5.8ghz, with cloverleafs is about 4km. I can still get video out to 6km. This is on a plane and up in the air mind you. Also VAS antennae.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm stuck in analysis paralysis so to further complicate things, I'd like the input from you guys. I've played with a handful of <$20 drones so far and had a fair bit of fun but I've been trying to plan my next purchase and get into FPV.

Unfortunately, I have an odd mix of criteria. I do most of my flying at work in a room about the size of a classroom so I don't want it to be too noisy. I considered the DM-003 for this reason but other than being very quiet, that seems to be the only thing going for it. Even with a AIO camera backpack, it's still going to be a level mode toy.

I'd like to be able to fly outside but I live near Nashville so any park big enough to fly in is airport adjacent so I'd like something innocent enough to fly where I won't get on peoples nerves. I keep looking at micro quads for these reasons. I'm not likely to do any racing but I really want to do proximity stuff. I've watched countless tiny whoop videos and it looks like fun but the low power and 1-2 minute flight times is kind of a bummer. I don't want to have to deal with the FAA so that's another check in favor of small and light drones.

I see people spending a fortune replacing brushed motors and frames so I think it's probably better to go brushless, right? I thought the Tarot 130 looked appealing. The 120 looked better. There's a lot of neat frames from Tomoquads and Quatrovolante. The Mikro 78 looks like it might be my best bet but my experience is limited and my soldering iron is too.

Am I missing something important I should look at or know about first?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

I'm stuck in analysis paralysis so to further complicate things, I'd like the input from you guys. I've played with a handful of <$20 drones so far and had a fair bit of fun but I've been trying to plan my next purchase and get into FPV.

Unfortunately, I have an odd mix of criteria. I do most of my flying at work in a room about the size of a classroom so I don't want it to be too noisy. I considered the DM-003 for this reason but other than being very quiet, that seems to be the only thing going for it. Even with a AIO camera backpack, it's still going to be a level mode toy.

I'd like to be able to fly outside but I live near Nashville so any park big enough to fly in is airport adjacent so I'd like something innocent enough to fly where I won't get on peoples nerves. I keep looking at micro quads for these reasons. I'm not likely to do any racing but I really want to do proximity stuff. I've watched countless tiny whoop videos and it looks like fun but the low power and 1-2 minute flight times is kind of a bummer. I don't want to have to deal with the FAA so that's another check in favor of small and light drones.

I see people spending a fortune replacing brushed motors and frames so I think it's probably better to go brushless, right? I thought the Tarot 130 looked appealing. The 120 looked better. There's a lot of neat frames from Tomoquads and Quatrovolante. The Mikro 78 looks like it might be my best bet but my experience is limited and my soldering iron is too.

Am I missing something important I should look at or know about first?

this really looks appealing for brushless, indoor + outdoor use, with minimal size. Consider it a learning opportunity.
http://tomoquads.miiduu.com/kenji-95-convertible-micro-quad-in-stock-and-ready-for-shipping

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Just picked up a Hubsan X4 having never flown any RC aerial before and I gotta say it's a whole barrel of fun, even if I am still just learning to hover and fly around without hitting things.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I passed my UAG test for the 107 cert today. 88% with under 20 hours of study (half of which was done 2 months ago)

Study those sectionals. Even if you don't buy the asa package, get their app.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 30, 2016

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

this really looks appealing for brushless, indoor + outdoor use, with minimal size. Consider it a learning opportunity.
http://tomoquads.miiduu.com/kenji-95-convertible-micro-quad-in-stock-and-ready-for-shipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSHEVIs4U8

I can't wait for an FPV video from the Mikro 78

I also can't wait for the ST Link I ordered from China to get here so I can put Acro on my $12 JJRC H8.

...and then loose this one too

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 30, 2016

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Inimicul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSHEVIs4U8

I can't wait for an FPV video from the Mikro 78

I also can't wait for the ST Link I ordered from China to get here so I can put Acro on my $12 JJRC H8.

...and then loose this one too

Oh my god, this looks amazing.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Today I learned I'm a terrible pilot, and also that a quad going full-speed whacking into an empty soccer goal makes a great sound. And breaks things.

I set everything up, lifted off, did a couple circles of the field and parking lot then thought "I'm feeling it, I'm going for a soccer goal flythrough", drifted right and didn't correct in time.

Broken prop (meh), smushed the whole front end of the battery in, knocked the camera lens cock-eyed, broke the entire electronics stack free from the frame, broke one of my pro zip-tie antennas, and broke the FPV antenna off.

Oh well, I'd been meaning to take it down to the frame to make a few adjustments anyway.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I got my Mavic today! Wow it's awesome gonna go fly more.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Released the magic smoke from my new pixhawk lite by plugging the power cable into the telemetry port. Hadn't even completed the calibration or anything.

*sigh*

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hahahahahahahahahahaha

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Released the magic smoke from my new pixhawk lite by plugging the power cable into the telemetry port. Hadn't even completed the calibration or anything.

*sigh*

You didn't buy the one from 3dr did you.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
The micro USB on my ancient naze32 is finally going out on me. What's the consensus on flight controllers for 250's nowadays?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Takkaryx posted:

The micro USB on my ancient naze32 is finally going out on me. What's the consensus on flight controllers for 250's nowadays?

An untold amount of cheap f3 boards exist. Xracer f303 3.1 is a good choice

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

I got my Mavic today! Wow it's awesome gonna go fly more.

Awesome. I have mine waiting under the tree for me. It apparently sets a bad example to the kids if I open it early or something.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You didn't buy the one from 3dr did you.
I was referring to the Pixhawk Lite, which is $40 for the board, whereas the 3DR Pixhawk Mini (which appears to be a rebranded HK Pixfalcon Micro) is a hell of a lot more than that... $125 from HK for the board by itself, or $200 for a package from 3DR.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank god, I was hoping no one got tricked into buying that.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Takkaryx posted:

I really like my Motolab Cyclone. Josh Bardwell rated it highly in his F3 Roundup video. It uses a good gyro and it's super versatile to set up.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for motors under 20 grams with bearings that last a good, long time? I'm thinking of trying a Tiger Motor 1306, but they are like $25 each.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h1407-v...um7s522feo2pov2

I'm a big fan of the RCX motors. They're cheap and can take a beating. Probably not the most efficient motors in the world, but that's kinda irrelevant with the way I fly :)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Takkaryx posted:

I got this SP EVO F3 knockoff from BangGood for $25

http://www.banggood.com/F3-EVO-Cleanflight-10DOF-Flight-Controller-Oem-Version-for-Multirotor-Racing-with-4G-MicroSD-p-1064058.html

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h1407-v...um7s522feo2pov2

I'm a big fan of the RCX motors. They're cheap and can take a beating. Probably not the most efficient motors in the world, but that's kinda irrelevant with the way I fly :)

RCX makes my absolute favourite motor at the moment, the 1304. All the power of a 1306 but with the 1104/1105 mounting style. None of the extra weight from the prop mount. Also they're like $7/piece if you choose no warranty(lmao warranty from RCX). I think for bearing life the T-Motor F20's would be your best bet but no bearing that tiny is going to last long on 4s. I've been hearing good things about the Tornado 1406-3500kv with quad blade 3" props, ~500g of thrust at 10a.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Anyone try the beecore for the Inductrix? I'd love to pair up my tiny whoop with a Turnigy Evolution if the beecore flysky FC works well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the go-to FC now? I lost my spare CC3D in a pile of boxes and want to order a replacement but then I remember that I wanted a Naze just to try, but now I've been out of the loop for like a year and I don't know if there's something else I should be looking at instead.

I'd prefer not to spend a poo poo ton of money so if there's nothing below like $50CDN then I'll just get another cheap rear end CC3D clone which was good enough for what I was doing with it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What for? Anything 250 sized or below, you want an F3 with Betaflight. Plenty of cheap options around.
I'm a fan of FuriousFPV's FCs as they have integrated PDB and vRegs
http://furiousfpv.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=100

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

What's the go-to FC now? I lost my spare CC3D in a pile of boxes and want to order a replacement but then I remember that I wanted a Naze just to try, but now I've been out of the loop for like a year and I don't know if there's something else I should be looking at instead.

I'd prefer not to spend a poo poo ton of money so if there's nothing below like $50CDN then I'll just get another cheap rear end CC3D clone which was good enough for what I was doing with it.

Scroll up

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh pfff I scrolled way up but literally not to the post above mine :v:

OK thanks

ImplicitAssembler posted:

What for? Anything 250 sized or below, you want an F3 with Betaflight. Plenty of cheap options around.
I'm a fan of FuriousFPV's FCs as they have integrated PDB and vRegs
http://furiousfpv.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=100

Yeah, 250 quad. Going to pick one or two up, thanks.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Anyone have any recommendations for a small, relatively cheap GPS tracker to stick to a DJI Mavic? It will be my first drone and I think I'm going to be paranoid as hell about losing it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tbeacon is the cheapest solution out there, but required a UHF radio ($35 from Banggood) and some assembly.
http://tbeacon.org/

Turnkey systems, you're probably looking at a Marco Polo system:
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Oh pfff I scrolled way up but literally not to the post above mine :v:

OK thanks

Yeah, 250 quad. Going to pick one or two up, thanks.

You can get them in Canada from AirbladeUAV.
https://www.airbladeuav.com/collections/flight-controller/products/furiousfpv-radiance-f3-flight-controller-light-up-the-skies

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Eeexcellent. This is very agreeable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

$30 from BangGood, time to play with DShot...