Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheFluff posted:

Sniping isn't always the best idea no, I abort it pretty frequently even when I do try it (like if the enemy CV spots the strike or there's a bunch of good AA ships in the way etc).

I reiterate though that playing AS is a pub trap. You just don't have any impact on the game that way, there's just no way you can accomplish anything. You may (or may not) deny the enemy CV but that's literally all you can do - you're simply a dead weight that your team has to drag along. If you want to carry games you must play strike. Playing strike on US CV's before the Essex (and excepting the Saipan) is just dumb though because you don't get any fighters at all so you're completely at the mercy of the enemy CV being garbage (and they can snipe you super easily they feel like it). The alternative is the stock loadout but that's just sad compared to the IJN CV's.

Playing strike CV is loving bullshit, though. You have this instant on-demand damage that's only mitigated by a short duration consumable that only a few ships get, and you can use it on anyone anywhere on the map. You can trivially force people into situations with no good outcome - dive bomb them, set three fires, wait for them to repair, torp, flooding, welp there they go. It's retarded.

IJN CV's with their vastly superior loadouts (literally everyone uses the balanced strike loadout) fairly consistently have a full five percentage points higher win rate than US CV's do at every single tier - the only exception is the Saipan which is better than the Hiryu (but the Hiryu is still in a comfortable four percentage point lead over the Ranger).

Its not strictly inferior to play AS over strike, but there are some important things that need to be kept in mind. A strike player does not have much vision control when against an AS loadout. While the strike player may be capable of inflicting more damage, he also gives up more and more vision control to the AS player with every strike, assuming the AS player has assumed a mostly defensive stance.

AS is vision control first, protection second. AS heavily relies on your team to be competent, and you tip the scales in their favor by spotting out DDs, torps, and making smokescreens harder to employ without being directly inside (and therefore vulnerable to torps), while allowing your own DDs to move unmolested to optimal torping angles or capping points. AS loadouts were not terribly uncommon in team battles for this reason. If you need to carry, though, strike is the choice to go. Strike can also maintain some vision against a balanced loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

And to think I had not been enjoying the Benson recently

Lost a 140k damage Molotov game by a couple pixels. 11 planes shot down and with his last two torpedo bombers he finally scrapes my side with one after I dodged the first 3 drops. Our AS Bogue only had 8 shot down.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Tier 3, 4 and 5 in a battleship at the moment is horrible. Lots of expert CV players seal clubbing to get the 500k damage mission done. If you have a newbie CV player on your team then you're in for a bad time.

PST fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 26, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I'm going to nitpick since you mentioned the Shoukaku, but you can't technically even see a Shoukaku. CVs have forced parity in MM, meaning you MUST see another T7 CV in the game. Also, T8+ CVs can only see one other CV in the match. Therefore, you cannot see T8-9 CVs, ever. You can see up to T9 boats, but never a T8-9 CV. (PS: this is why the Saipan is such bullshit).

??? He never mentioned what specific tier he was playing, just that he didn't want to play Saipan and wanted to aggravate other CV players. Thus, that was just a tier-by-tier comparison of US vs. IJN carriers when it comes to their fighters. The specific Saipan mention was simply to point out that even Saipans are going to be annoyed by AS Rangers with Dogfighting Expert, regardless of whether one or both have Air Supremacy or not. Ergo, 4 Saipan fighters vs. 6 Ranger fighters with Dogfighting Expert tends to go the way of the Ranger - and sometimes even 8 Saipan fighters vs. 6 Ranger fighters basically goes that way too. If they can't get the strafe off for whatever reason, they're outmatched. Hell, with Saipan I've lost 1v1s with Independence fighter squadrons (presumably with Dogfighting).

Saipan certainly can't see a Shokaku, but the Lexington can, and the Lexington, same as the Ranger and Independence, has 2 fighter squadrons to Shokaku's 3.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Does anyone actually play the 3-fighter Shokaku load out? I think I've seen an IJN CV play air superiority like two times ever. The balanced 2/2/2 setup is what everyone uses, and for good reasons.

Edit: oh never mind I see what you mean now, misunderstood the context

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I got the Takao, its pretty neat. Forgot the cardinal rule of ARP though... I have no loving idea what the captain is yelling about.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Couldn't get Torpedo Acceleration commander skill to display improvement on Akizuki torpedoes
Thanks for letting me know. It's fixed now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Does anyone actually play the 3-fighter Shokaku load out? I think I've seen an IJN CV play air superiority like two times ever. The balanced 2/2/2 setup is what everyone uses, and for good reasons.

Edit: oh never mind I see what you mean now, misunderstood the context

Honestly, I've been seeing a number of IJN CVs running the AS loadout recently in T6 and 7. Still more other loadouts, but definitely seems like a larger percentage than previously. Not sure if something changed, or if there's a new batch of players using CVs that are going for the AS loadout for whatever reason.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Finally got the Khab tonight and hoo boy I forgot how bad playing a DD is without Last Stand. Burning a few dragon flags tomorrow so I can get that and AFT back tomorrow...getting your engine knocked out twice in 15 seconds by German BB secondaries is just grand.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah, and the secondaries track properly so unlike a human their first few volleys don't fall a ship's length behind you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

If I had been given 1000 reports for today only, I would have used them all up. It literally does not matter how well I do with these loving teams.

e: hahahaha, LATER THAT NIGHT

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 26, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Just a little bit more and you would have had kraken on top of that. I'll bet you were angry the entire game.

Congratulations, very impressive.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Got the Fiji last night, but was exhausted and slept without playing it. Actually got to use it today, confirmed as loving awesome. Dealing 15-30k to a battleship over the course of a game is the norm, not the exception, and it wrecks the face off of most cruisers and like all destroyers but I have got to start remembering radar ranges because I can tell that's going to gently caress me over if I don't.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Anyone want an invite code? 3 days of premium, port slot, Emden. Hardly impressive considering you can get 7 days with the World of Tanks Reddit invite code but still, figured I'd ask.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
someone accept my application to seamen!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Every game where I remember my boat has a speed other than "full" I do 1000% better in.

But it's so fun to have rum and do boats.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Bingemoose posted:

someone accept my application to seamen!

I may be wrong, but I think seaman is full or something like that.
Plus if I remember my conversation with... dafuck if I know who, its possible that a new clan needs to be created for some reason I dont quite remember

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I'm pretty terrible at carriers, seriously. I'm that Saipan captain you hope isn't on team.

So the last thanksgiving mission is a chore for everyone involved on my teams. Including me.

Btw to show you how nubish I am, I have a question. Is strafe AOE? Or in other words can you shoot down your own planes?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ZombieLenin posted:

I'm pretty terrible at carriers, seriously. I'm that Saipan captain you hope isn't on team.

So the last thanksgiving mission is a chore for everyone involved on my teams. Including me.

Btw to show you how nubish I am, I have a question. Is strafe AOE? Or in other words can you shoot down your own planes?

Yes you can shoot down your own planes.
Its a tactic some people will do. They'll engage with one plane, hoping you commit all your squadrons. Then she strafe the group with their other planes. They lose some planes, but gently caress you up more.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Note that for some utterly moronic reason, WG changed the code a number of patches back so that allied planes you shoot down, whether they're off a second carrier or your own, count as team damage. So yes, a fairly common CV strategy used by many captains will indeed make a game not count towards clearing pink status.

It's not even a case of the secondaries issue, where they always could hit friendly ships and cause damage, with WG specifically having to set them to cause no team damage after cases where people were getting or keeping pink status from their secondaries, because friendly shootdowns didn't used to count.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

:suicide:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Clearly, you're not carrying hard enough. Slacker.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for you fellas; I unlocked the Mutsuki a while back, and never played it suspecting I should reconsider the current DD line.

Should I buy it and respect my captain to it so I get two destroyers/captains for the price of one?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Been having a really really tough time in the Farragut. Watched a Kombat_Wombat game in it and now things make sense. Kill any DDs near you. Hide from same and higher tier cruisers. Rain shells upon BBs and if possible sneak up and torp them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I started playing this game. I love setting things on fire, I may be IJN for life.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Russians are waaaaay better at setting things on fire. Lots of shells, lots of range, lots of fire, lots of citadel.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Just realized how far along I am in the shipsgiving thing and uhhh I guess I need a CV. Unfortunately the only one that I can get right now is a Langley. Looking at the US loadouts it seems like they either have all the fighters or none of the fighters and that seems a bit annoying. Granted I don't really plan to go that far with them, but are they that gimped or is just a matter of flying enemy fighters into friendly AA and hoping for the best?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Gearhead posted:

I started playing this game. I love setting things on fire, I may be IJN for life.

As I understand, if you can get used to the shell arcs, the Cleveland is still the king poo poo of firestarting, at least at mid tiers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Just realized how far along I am in the shipsgiving thing and uhhh I guess I need a CV. Unfortunately the only one that I can get right now is a Langley. Looking at the US loadouts it seems like they either have all the fighters or none of the fighters and that seems a bit annoying. Granted I don't really plan to go that far with them, but are they that gimped or is just a matter of flying enemy fighters into friendly AA and hoping for the best?

Get the Hosho, low tier ijn CVs poop all over USN ones. Two torp bomber squads is just fantastic vs poo poo dive bombers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Get the Hosho, low tier ijn CVs poop all over USN ones. Two torp bomber squads is just fantastic vs poo poo dive bombers.

I haven't played any Japanese BBs yet so it would be an annoying grind unless I free xp'ed it. Just grabbed a Lang because gently caress it. 50k, 15 shot down, 4 fires, and 3 kills first game out. Need to learn how to correctly drop manual torps because I f'ed up the drop twice and if I hadn't I would have nuked a Hosho and Konig.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Not all of my games have been that fantastic, but I just had a 119,746 damage game in my Fiji and came up on the top of the leaderboard. It helps that a Neptune on the enemy team was very courteous and decided to both give me full broadside at point blank range and park right in front of me so that I could make him eat poo poo by getting something ridiculous like 17 citadels. Even if I only saw him at like 3.6km away. Later, an Izumo was also very obliging and drove right into two of my torpedo salvos.

Fun little tip: the high tier RN ships seem to have a visibly thicker section of plate where their citadels are, so if you can see that you pretty much get a "shoot here for massive amounts of citadels" sign

Rorac posted:

Got the Fiji last night, but was exhausted and slept without playing it. Actually got to use it today, confirmed as loving awesome. Dealing 15-30k to a battleship over the course of a game is the norm, not the exception, and it wrecks the face off of most cruisers and like all destroyers but I have got to start remembering radar ranges because I can tell that's going to gently caress me over if I don't.

'Sup Fiji buddy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

The hosho is agonizing to play against a langley with fighters though, one squad of langley fighters will poo poo all over your entire airforce.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

'Sup Fiji buddy?

:hfive:

I'm having a problem with the Fiji, or rather RN cruisers. If they continue the way they're going, I think I'll want to keep the Edinburgh and the Minotaur, as well as the Fiji and Leander, and I just do not have that many port slots open.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

CVs are where your soul goes to die isn't it? Also is WTR kind of like WN8 or is it actually a fairly decent metric?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gwaihir posted:

Langley is way better for seal clubbing. Had a 160k damage/six kill game today farming damage for Shipsgiving.

e: I'd go so far as to say it's the best non-premium US CV.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm still suuuper early in advancement, only just about to unlock Destroyers. I'm still at the stage where Chikuma B felt like a huge upgrade. :shobon:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The Hosho fighters are slightly faster than the Langley fighters so you can control the engagement a bit. But you have to really be on the loving ball to beat a sealclubber Langley player. If the Langley gets a strafe off on your fighters then it's pretty much gg.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I haven't played any Japanese BBs yet so it would be an annoying grind unless I free xp'ed it. Just grabbed a Lang because gently caress it. 50k, 15 shot down, 4 fires, and 3 kills first game out. Need to learn how to correctly drop manual torps because I f'ed up the drop twice and if I hadn't I would have nuked a Hosho and Konig.

Yeah if you just want a CV for missions and to occasionally screw around in, the Langley is the better choice. Hosho if you actually want to grind the line.

Gearhead posted:

Russian cruisers and destroyers are the best firestarters. Though Japanese cruisers are #2 so it's not a terrible choice.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My basic understanding is that IJN are slightly inferior in setting fires but better at sneaking up on things.

Which stirs the Do You Believe In Magic? music cue in my heart all the more.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

El Disco posted:

The Hosho fighters are slightly faster than the Langley fighters so you can control the engagement a bit. But you have to really be on the loving ball to beat a sealclubber Langley player. If the Langley gets a strafe off on your fighters then it's pretty much gg.

I got pretty lucky with a strafe and caught a Hosho's fighter and both torp squads in it. Annihilated all them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea the IJN fighters are loving pathetic. I can catch multiple Bogue or Langley squads in a strafe, and kill like two planes, total. In my AS fit bogue a strafe will 100% annihilate any whole squad caught in it.