Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

defectivemonkey posted:

Instant Pots are pretty majorly on sale on Amazon right now. I have a slow cooker that I like already but I'm in the market for a new rice cooker and don't have a pressure cooker.

Maybe this should go in the gadget thread, but is this worth getting (not price-wise, but usefulness-wise).

I absolutely love mine. It looks like a cheap tacky made-in-China device , and it certainly seems marketed for China, what with the dozens of rice cooking times in its manual. But it's a great value, it's extremely versatile as a slow cooker, pressure cooker or rice cooker. Serious Eats also has some very handy pressure cooker recipes, so I've been pleasantly surprised at how useful the technique is. It doesn't heat up quite as quick as a stovetop pressure cooker, so it'll take a little while for instance to reach pressure compared to the times Kenji describes. It also makes rice very well (though it takes a bit of practice to get the proportions down, it's usually 1 for 1).

Jan fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I did thanksgiving late because my truck poo poo the bed and I wasn't back in town until close to midnight on Wednesday - long story short, consider adding red miso to the herb butter under the skin on your turkeys or chickens or whatever, it worked quite well.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Bob Morales posted:

As a tex-mex kind of Mexican living in the USA, we use a chili-powder based sauce that is basically a gravy - no tomato.

In a big frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of lard (or vegetable oil) and then toast up 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper, 1 teaspoon mexican oregano (if you can find it), you can add onion powder, cayenne or chipotle powder to taste if you want. At this point your house should smell like a mexican restaurant.

Then add chicken broth. Start with 2 cups but you're going to end up using way more. Next, stir up 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/2 cup of cold water (I use a shaker cup) and dump it in your pan. Whisk it up and the whole mix will thicken up. If it gets too thick, add more broth. If it gets too thin, just cook it down. You want it to 'coat the back of a spoon'. Taste it for salt.

This is basically 'enchilada sauce' but dump it on burritos, nachos, whatever.

I just made this. I've gotta say it's the first time I've ever been satisfied with a mexican style dish which I cooked myself. Thanks for sharing this, I'll be playing with it forever.

Follow up question, if you were to make a big batch of it, how long would it keep in the fridge? Does it freeze okay?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

As a tex-mex kind of Mexican living in the USA, we use a chili-powder based sauce that is basically a gravy - no tomato.

In a big frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of lard (or vegetable oil) and then toast up 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper, 1 teaspoon mexican oregano (if you can find it), you can add onion powder, cayenne or chipotle powder to taste if you want. At this point your house should smell like a mexican restaurant.

Then add chicken broth. Start with 2 cups but you're going to end up using way more. Next, stir up 2 tablespoons of flour with 1/2 cup of cold water (I use a shaker cup) and dump it in your pan. Whisk it up and the whole mix will thicken up. If it gets too thick, add more broth. If it gets too thin, just cook it down. You want it to 'coat the back of a spoon'. Taste it for salt.

This is basically 'enchilada sauce' but dump it on burritos, nachos, whatever.

Should you not cook the flour a bit first like a roux?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I thought the flour into cold water was weird but it totally worked hey.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I got an induction hob and have been trying to make egg fried rice in it. I've done it twice so far and it's turned out 'alright', but because almost all of my meals are just really basic stuff that needs no attention it's not really anywhere near like how, for example, a takeaway might do it.

What do people add into this anyway? I've just been adding peas and some soy sauce.

Fried rice is prepared in basically every country throughout east Asia and the Pacific, so there's no "one true" recipe. Pretty much anything you want to add is fine. Just throwing out some I've seen:

- diced spam (very Hawaiian)
- diced chicken, actually any meat, really
- tiny cooked shrimps
- bean sprouts
- shredded bamboo shoots
- chopped button mushroom, whole straw mushroom, shredded black ("wood ear") mushroom
- sesame oil (just a bit almost at the end, not used as a frying oil)
- tiny little fish (I don't know if anchovies would substitute, you may have to find a bag of dried little fish at an Oriental market)
- chopped celery
- finely shredded bok choy or napa cabbage greens

It's so widespread that odds are anything you add will have been done before. Also, if you aren't doing this already, cook the rice 12-24 hours before you fry it and keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator until then so it gets a bit stale.

Jan posted:

I absolutely love mine. It looks like a cheap tacky made-in-China device , and it certainly seems marketed for China, what with the dozens of rice cooking times in its manual. But it's a great value, it's extremely versatile as a slow cooker, pressure cooker or rice cooker. Serious Eats also has some very handy pressure cooker recipes, so I've been pleasantly surprised at how useful the technique is. It doesn't heat up quite as quick as a stovetop pressure cooker, so it'll take a little while for instance to reach pressure compared to the times Kenji describes. It also makes rice very well (though it takes a bit of practice to get the proportions down, it's usually 1 for 1).

I got one for my sister and her new husband because their schedules don't always coincide and their kitchen is very small. It frees up stove and counter space (they prep in the kitchen and do the cook on the dining table) and being able to have a still-warm dish in a pot on the dining table for when he comes home from a late shift is pretty useful for them. They did a chicken tikka masala for the first cook and they said it turned out well.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 26, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm the way I've been taught is to fry the rice first, then cook.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Hmm the way I've been taught is to fry the rice first, then cook.

Either we're not using the same terms the same way, or I'm being goofed on and I'm too dumb to realize it :downs:

I meant to steam the rice and then refrigerate it for a few hours first before frying it with the other ingredients. Are you saying to fry dry rice right out of the bag before steaming it? You're Dutch, right? Is that an Indonesian technique?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

hogmartin posted:

I got one for my sister and her new husband because their schedules don't always coincide and their kitchen is very small. It frees up stove and counter space (they prep in the kitchen and do the cook on the dining table) and being able to have a still-warm dish in a pot on the dining table for when he comes home from a late shift is pretty useful for them. They did a chicken tikka masala for the first cook and they said it turned out well.

These are basically all of the reasons I'm interested in it (plus it seems useful in a house with a new baby) so that's awesome. Thanks, all! I floated it as a Christmas present.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DumbparameciuM posted:

Follow up question, if you were to make a big batch of it, how long would it keep in the fridge? Does it freeze okay?
I have never put it in the fridge but my grandpa used to freeze it - I'm not old enough to remember how it turns out

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spankmeister posted:

Whats funny is when we use it for chicken mole we do toast it first. But for enchilada sauce we always do it cold. I've done it both ways and it's fine either way. And if you're using a greasy, home made broth you don't even need to add any oil

I usually boil up some chicken thighs or even breasts and use the leftover water for the sauce, fill the enchiladas with the chicken. Or, cook a whole pot of leg quarters and then dump the (slightly thinner version) sauce in there and let it simmer. Eat it with corn, rice, flour tortillas

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, and I somehow forgot - add almost a tablespoon of peanut butter to the sauce after the spices.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suspect Bucket posted:

Spatchcocking turns a bird from

/\ to _/\_
\/

I'm talking about the difference between being able to spread out the bird properly while spatchcocked, and having a technically spatchcocked bird with the breasts basically resting on the thighs. A 20lb bird doesn't fit on a half-sheet pan for this reason. Maybe I'm explaining this poorly because I don't get why this is controversial.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I don't know why you are finding this so hard to understand. We keep asking what size your oven is, because you can easily spatchcock a larger bird and fit it on an oven. Hint: there are pans other than 1/2 sheets. If you have a 24" oven then that explains why you can't fit a 3/4 in yours.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cut the bird in half put it on two cookie sheets

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I did a 19lb turkey on a half sheet pan, it was delicious, hth

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

Bob Morales posted:

Oh, and I somehow forgot - add almost a tablespoon of peanut butter to the sauce after the spices.

Sorry to be a dork, but just so I'm 100% clear: after the spices are toasted, but before the stock goes in?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I have no wok and presently am stuck with an electric range so I haven't tried to make fried rice in a great deal of time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I got gifted a kombucha scoby. Is there a preferred process I should follow to feed it?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I attempted to make pot roast and vegetables in a pressure cooker. Everything was delicious except the meat was pretty tough. Did I overcook it, not cook it long enough, pick a lovely piece of meat or some combination of those? It was about 3.5lbs of beef with plenty of fat submerged in beef stock, cooked that for about 25 minutes and then put the veggies in for another 25 minutes or so. That is about 8 minutes over the recommendation for the meat but I was a little confused about if that time starts as soon as it touches heat or when it gets up to pressure so I went a little over to be safe.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I attempted to make pot roast and vegetables in a pressure cooker. Everything was delicious except the meat was pretty tough. Did I overcook it, not cook it long enough, pick a lovely piece of meat or some combination of those? It was about 3.5lbs of beef with plenty of fat submerged in beef stock, cooked that for about 25 minutes and then put the veggies in for another 25 minutes or so. That is about 8 minutes over the recommendation for the meat but I was a little confused about if that time starts as soon as it touches heat or when it gets up to pressure so I went a little over to be safe.

Submerging it might have something to do with it, whenever I do a roast I kind of aim for a braise. Putting it completely in the stock will benefit from the temperature of the pressure cooker, but not the actual pressure. I usually lay the beef and the 'sacrificial' vegetables that will be turned into goo on the raised tray of the cooker, add water until it just touches the meat, then cook. The remains of the leeks, carrots, etc. get tossed out, the meat flakes perfectly, and the water gets strained and simmered with flour into gravy. Was there a particular recipe you were using?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

hogmartin posted:

Was there a particular recipe you were using?

There's this guy who streams on twitch I enjoy, https://www.twitch.tv/chefshock, who was doing some internet recipe and I decided to try it.

One 4lb roast, your choice of cut
Stick of butter
1 package au jus gravy mix (yeah, I know I know, but it’s part of the story)
1 package hidden valley ranch mix (dry, same story above)
pepperoncini peppers and their juice
beef broth
red potatoes
carrots
celery
onions

It was the 2nd best pot roast I've ever had, even with the tough meat. The best being some fancy place in Vegas that I don't remember the name of.

edit: Here's how it turned out, I want to drink the juice with a straw.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 27, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

Sorry to be a dork, but just so I'm 100% clear: after the spices are toasted, but before the stock goes in?

Yea, it will just melt right in. Don't use chunky or the peanut butter with the jelly mixed in it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm guessing it wasn't cooked long enough since the potatoes didn't disintegrate.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

katkillad2 posted:

There's this guy who streams on twitch I enjoy, https://www.twitch.tv/chefshock, who was doing some internet recipe and I decided to try it.

One 4lb roast, your choice of cut
Stick of butter
1 package au jus gravy mix (yeah, I know I know, but it’s part of the story)
1 package hidden valley ranch mix (dry, same story above)
pepperoncini peppers and their juice
beef broth
red potatoes
carrots
celery
onions

My mom does a very similar recipe with ranch dressing mix and whatever. I hate it conceptually, but it's also loving delicious on egg noodles and pretty much the easiest thing ever to just brown off the meat, cover it in ranch and gravy powder, then throw the thing in the crock pot forever. That recipe goes in the 'ashamed to love it' drawer next to dump cake and Ikea meatballs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can somebody hook me up with the recipe for a Russian/Eastern European desert that is easy to make and will keep for a couple weeks?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Freeze potato outside, thank the party for allowing you potato.

I kid. Make and freeze Varenye, serve on blini? https://thetroikatable.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/varenye-iz-yablok-russian-apple-preserves/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspect Bucket posted:

Freeze potato outside, thank the party for allowing you potato.

I kid. Make and freeze Varenye, serve on blini? https://thetroikatable.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/varenye-iz-yablok-russian-apple-preserves/

That looks good, but it won't work for my needs. I want to make this as of yet undecided desert for my dad for Christmas. He was raised up north by Slovaks, so he likes dense winter deserts that it's hard to get down here in Texas. Unfortunately he also likes to make jelly, so those Russian apple preserves would just end up in the cupboard behind the three cases of pear jelly he made earlier this year

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm not 100% sure what kugel is and how long you can keep it but it sounds like what you want.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I need to figure out a fancy romantic (getting laid) dinner. Sex will probably be first, so I'm not worried about dinner being too heavy.

- reverse-seared prime rib for two
- sous vide rainbow carrots
- potatoes?? I would usually hasselbeck a couple small new potatoes but I've already done those for him

- dessert?? Maybe cliché chocolate lava cakes with homemade ice cream (eggnog? coffee? vanilla bean? or ???)

He's obviously a pretty meat-and-potatoes guy. I like making things that are pretty low-effort but look and taste more impressive. For this I also want things that can be done mostly in advance and can hold at temp pretty well.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

I need to figure out a fancy romantic (getting laid) dinner. Sex will probably be first, so I'm not worried about dinner being too heavy.

- reverse-seared prime rib for two
- sous vide rainbow carrots
- potatoes?? I would usually hasselbeck a couple small new potatoes but I've already done those for him

- dessert?? Maybe cliché chocolate lava cakes with homemade ice cream (eggnog? coffee? vanilla bean? or ???)

He's obviously a pretty meat-and-potatoes guy. I like making things that are pretty low-effort but look and taste more impressive. For this I also want things that can be done mostly in advance and can hold at temp pretty well.

You can make scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin and keep them in the fridge until they're ready to go in the oven. If they are sufficiently covered with cream or cheese they won't brown.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just make whatever you want, it's not like stuffs going to go too far off temperature in 3-4 minutes....

:v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys like that don't get dinners like this!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I found this in a break room cooking magazine at work a while ago and scanned it because it looked good, four different ways to prepare fingerling potatoes. I just never got around to making any of them :(

http://imgur.com/a/jfyjO

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've seen restaurant back of the house using shallow metal plates, aluminum or steel is my guess, for doing things like letting steaks rest, etc. What are these called so I can find and order online?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I've seen restaurant back of the house using shallow metal plates, aluminum or steel is my guess, for doing things like letting steaks rest, etc. What are these called so I can find and order online?

Sizzle platters
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-x-11-oval-aluminum-sizzler-platter/407AZP11.html

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Perfect, thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about mousse as a romantic dessert? It can be a bit heavy (but light at the same time) and keeps with no worries in the fridge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What bread for grilled cheese sandwiches? Using up the thanksgiving leftovers and Brioche just isn't hardy enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like a hearty bread for a grilled cheese... and I like a good jewish rye bread for pretty much any kind of sandwich.

Eeyo posted:

How about mousse as a romantic dessert? It can be a bit heavy (but light at the same time) and keeps with no worries in the fridge.

Great suggestion! If it's really rich, a tiny portion is fine.