Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I got everything I needed sitting on my rear end in front of the computer on Wednesday night.

Rugburn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Should I have waited for cyber Monday to buy my goodies?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I need another Mauser

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Only on my balls.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Only on my balls.

Aww yeah :wink:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I don't mind paying a bit more to not deal with Black Friday crazyness. Online shopping has certainly made it easier too. Ended up going for a nice two hour drive in the mountains, grabbed a last minute thing for AISS, and now I'm about to put a movie on. Totally feels like a Sunday, I have to keep reminding myself I don't go to work tomorrow.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rhyno posted:

Only on my balls.

Tell the girlfriend to shave or something then.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i bit the bullet and ordered the last of the computer parts i need, mobo/cpu mostly (aka the majority of the cost). I'm debating whether to sell the current boat anchor, or keep it around as a basic home server type deal. Either way, big CAD assemblies should be a bit less :suicide: to work with.

Ended up getting the overclock model of the CPU i was looking at, they were both on sale and ended up the exact same price. Slightly more expensive with the cooler, but should last me longer before having to replace it the next time around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cards against humanity is digging a holiday hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfM90Yuyixw

For every $1 that gets donated, it adds 1.8 seconds. There's over 34 hours left of dig time, and there are over 7000 people watching someone dig a hole.

e: people have paid nearly $70,000 for them to keep digging

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 26, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait to see what they spend the money on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

i bit the bullet and ordered the last of the computer parts i need, mobo/cpu mostly (aka the majority of the cost). I'm debating whether to sell the current boat anchor, or keep it around as a basic home server type deal. Either way, big CAD assemblies should be a bit less :suicide: to work with.

Ended up getting the overclock model of the CPU i was looking at, they were both on sale and ended up the exact same price. Slightly more expensive with the cooler, but should last me longer before having to replace it the next time around.

Dell Precision T5500/T7500 :colbert:

Can be had second hand cheap, supports up to 76GB (128GB for T7500) of RAm, and dual Hexacore Xeons, and supports SLI.

Workstation boards are the way to go for CAD machines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they'll just throw it all into the hole.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Whatcha get?

I was dead set on an i5-2500k when I built this system, and a Z68 based board, but had no idea what brand board to get. Micro Center generally runs some insane CPU/mobo deals now and then, they happened to have a high end Gigabyte board with the 2500k for something like $275 or $300. The CPU alone was something like $225-250 at the time, and that was a $150 board. :stonk: Still running it today, it gets a bit bitchy about booting up with being overclocked if it's been off long enough to cool off now, but it boots into the UEFI interface and underclocks itself once it fails to boot twice. And I just bump it back up and it boots up fine and runs great until the next time it's shut off for more than 20-30 minutes. Still running the ancient Hyper 212+ Evo cooler on it, just blow the dust out once or twice a year.

I didn't know Gigabyte boards were kinda crappy at the time, but I'd had extremely bad luck with MSI boards, and had a few Asus boards die very early deaths (the only MSI products I've ever had that lasted were their low end laptops, which they don't even build anyway - IIRC it was the same OEM that Gateway used at the time). The combos with the best deals were with those brands.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
New camera lens!

24-105 L f4 IS USM. Ooooh man what a sweet thing it is too, not as sweeeet as my 70-200 2.8 L IS USM but man is it a step up from my normal walkaround lens. Just in time for a slightly different professional job tomorrow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Whatcha get?

Enourmo posted:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: SilenX EFX-08-15 32.0 CFM 80mm Fan ($6.99 @ Directron)
Case Fan: SilenX EFX-08-15 32.0 CFM 80mm Fan ($6.99 @ Directron)
Total: $501.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 03:22 EDT-0400

Didn't get any kinda sick deals like you did, but I'm in a good place to do it and my current motherboard is maxed out at 12GB of RAM, may as well go the whole package.

CommieGIR posted:

Dell Precision T5500/T7500 :colbert:

Can be had second hand cheap, supports up to 76GB (128GB for T7500) of RAm, and dual Hexacore Xeons, and supports SLI.

Workstation boards are the way to go for CAD machines.

Well that would have been good to know 6 months ago when I started putting this parts list together. :colbert:

I'll have to keep that in mind once my livelihood depends on it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I didn't know Gigabyte boards were kinda crappy at the time, but I'd had extremely bad luck with MSI boards, and had a few Asus boards die very early deaths (the only MSI products I've ever had that lasted were their low end laptops, which they don't even build anyway - IIRC it was the same OEM that Gateway used at the time). The combos with the best deals were with those brands.

Sup Gigabyte system board buddy :hf:

I've been running the same AM3+ Gigabyte board since my last system refresh in '09 with an unlocked 6 core Phenom II OC'd to 4.2 GHz. Amazingly still runs (mostly) recent titles but its definitely showing its age, I'm holding out for Zen.

Honestly I had a lot of bad luck with the other major board manufacturers in the early/mid-2000s (swore off Asus after their "3 year warranty" consisted of "please return defective merchandise to the seller, if they won't take it back the warranty isn't worth the paper its printed on") and I feel like Gigabyte gets a bad rap that they don't entirely deserve - my board has been nothing but rock-solid stable for the past six years and counting, my previous two builds were with Gigabyte boards that I never had an issue with and I know at least four other people I've suggested Gigabyte boards to with similar track records.

Black Friday chat: everything that wasn't a TV or gaming console didn't really excite me this year, ended up buying a 500 GB evo 850 for myself and an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker for my in-laws.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The only motherboards I've ever had die were Asus. All my Gigabytes kept right chugging along until the PC was useless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Well, I *might* have gotten a new monitor. I noticed a deal that I had missed on a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 on Amazon, so I sent an email to their customer service if there was a way to get the price after the fact, and they responded telling me to order it, send them the order number via a link they provided, and that they would manually discount the monitor to the deal price. So I did that, and now I'm getting emails from their customer service that they do not do after the fact price-matching or something on TV's. They can't seem to figure out 1) that this isn't a TV, and 2) it was ordered based on their offer to honor the price to an item that I sent them a direct link to.

If they don't get it figured out and honor the price by early tomorrow morning I guess I'll just cancel it and see what else comes up. Don't really need it, but this would be my big Christmas present to myself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roommates have agreed to be out Sunday morning. I've offered to store what little bit of stuff they have here for a couple of weeks, so long as I get all of the keys on Sunday (I'm rekeying anyway just in case copies were made). We're parting ways on decent terms, but I don't ever want to see one of them again. I have no problems with his wife.

Car's also running like a champ again (as I posted), but pissing oil from the oil filter cover. Looks like the valve cover has started leaking on the drivers side (bellhousing side) of the engine too. Wouldn't have noticed either had I not been chasing electrical issues - when I went to check the main ground to the block I saw all the oil. I can order an OEM filter with the cap and gasket from Amazon (PF458G instead of PF457G) - Walmart stocks PF457G, which is what I always use, but I've never changed the cap.. and didn't change the gasket the last few times. Checked the oil today, it's barely on the dipstick :stare: with only 5k on the oil. Normally it would still be nearly on the full mark by now. I haven't ever looked on the ground for leaks since I moved, since most of my neighbors have older cars and I don't have assigned parking.

The Locator posted:

Well, I *might* have gotten a new monitor. I noticed a deal that I had missed on a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 on Amazon, so I sent an email to their customer service if there was a way to get the price after the fact, and they responded telling me to order it, send them the order number via a link they provided, and that they would manually discount the monitor to the deal price. So I did that, and now I'm getting emails from their customer service that they do not do after the fact price-matching or something on TV's. They can't seem to figure out 1) that this isn't a TV, and 2) it was ordered based on their offer to honor the price to an item that I sent them a direct link to.

If they don't get it figured out and honor the price by early tomorrow morning I guess I'll just cancel it and see what else comes up. Don't really need it, but this would be my big Christmas present to myself.

bezos@amazon.com will usually get it straightened out in a hurry. ESPECIALLY if you include the original email chain. Probably get some people fired too, he's known to rule with an iron fist.

Most of their customer "service" is outsourced to India, and I'd say out of every 10 times I contact them, they gently caress up and misunderstand 15 out of 10 times, with multiple explanations to them. Both phone and chat support.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 26, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

bezos@amazon.com will usually get it straightened out in a hurry. ESPECIALLY if you include the original email chain. Probably get some people fired too, he's known to rule with an iron fist.

Most of their customer "service" is outsourced to India, and I'd say out of every 10 times I contact them, they gently caress up and misunderstand 15 out of 10 times, with multiple explanations to them. Both phone and chat support.

Thanks, I'll give that a go if the last email I sent off doesn't get an answer I'm happy with. If they had never made me the offer to apply the discount, I wouldn't have ordered it, so not honoring it after I've ordered it is a pile of manure. I assumed that all my responses were from India based on the names on the emails:

Shubash C
Shubham N (the one who said they would give me the discounted price)

Of course there is also a "Rose G." who was the latest 'nope' response who continues to say it's a television, and a "Jennifer", so it might be getting bounced back and forth between two different countries help desks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Got a new 300 lumen headlight, hopefully it will keep my dog and I from getting run over. It flickers at the 100 lumen setting which drives me crazy. Isn't there a way to adjust brightness without PWM? I have a handheld flashlight with an "infinitely" adjustable brightness that doesn't flicker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a go if the last email I sent off doesn't get an answer I'm happy with. If they had never made me the offer to apply the discount, I wouldn't have ordered it, so not honoring it after I've ordered it is a pile of manure. I assumed that all my responses were from India based on the names on the emails:

Shubash C
Shubham N (the one who said they would give me the discounted price)

Of course there is also a "Rose G." who was the latest 'nope' response who continues to say it's a television, and a "Jennifer", so it might be getting bounced back and forth between two different countries help desks.

Some of their contact centers force them to take American-sounding names (this is VERY common in the outsourced contact center world). Very little, if any, of their email support is US based. Same with phone support.

Amazon also loves sticking to cut and paste responses.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I *like* this new lens

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like cat pictures :)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *like* this new lens

Cat has been intercepted

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Setting up a Drivetribe for AI. Any input on the site facing picture?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

keykey posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *like* this new lens

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

keykey posted:

14" Dr Pepper rainbow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I did end up buying a Werner 17' extending folding ladder (the type that can be separated into two short ladders/platform supports) from Lowes for $89 (reg. $139), because that's $10 less than the sale price of both the HF and Northern Tool knockoffs. A friend has one, and that's a handy little convertible ladder. Also bought a couple more discounted XBONE games from the Microsoft Store.

Did anyone mention that there's a new Project Binky? Because there's a new Project Binky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4NXA_vNWs

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
59 loving degrees in my house.

I thought it was supposed to be loving warm year round in this shithole.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I keep my house at 59 at night in the winter

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My cats won't move, my dog is buried in a blanket, and my hands are numb.

I loving hate winter. People should not live where temps go below 75 with regularity.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

14" Dr Pepper rainbow.

Yes! Gotta link? Also, any objections mr 14"?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *like* this new lens

Portrait lens?

iwentdoodie posted:

I loving hate winter. People should not live where temps go below 75 with regularity.

I won't do the "colder than you" dick measuring (mostly because the cold makes it shrivel :v:), but 59 degrees just isn't cold unless you're stuck outside in the rain on a windy day. The thing I love about winter is that it becomes socially acceptable to wear my moccasin slippers everywhere, they're so drat comfy and I don't want to wear real shoes

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *like* this new lens

Nice shot, what lens is it?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

keykey posted:

http://i.giphy.com/l3vRcqPFZeR8bbQDC.gif

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

I just thought he meant this one is all :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

Did anyone mention that there's a new Project Binky? Because there's a new Project Binky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4NXA_vNWs

One of the best ones so far, IMHO.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

Ah, I was hoping someone would. Got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

poo poo, it gets below that even here in Texas. It's 63F right now, was in the low 50s overnight. Eventually itll be in the 30s-40s but winter still seems the be dawdling.

Also, I finally uploaded a picture of our dogge.
This is Jude, a Spaniel mix of some sort (rescue dog.)

He's been a ridiculously good dog. Calm (mostly - squirrels!), friendly, and housebroken.
Now he's been diagnosed with diabetes, so we get to give him insulin shots twice a day, He's even OK with the shots. He's getting up there in age, though - he's about 8-10. For a 50-pound dog, that's around 45 in human years.

• Locked thread