Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Odin Sphere is hype as poo poo.

Speaking of dead games, I miss City of Heroes and official PSO servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

So gamers, what have your spoils been for this Black Friday?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I went all out this black friday

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Haven't bought it yet but my wife is pushing for us to get titan quest remastered and I'm like baby I want these titans to fall not quest

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
All I remember about hellgate london is some banner ad that was all like "They killed my girlfriend, I'm going to london" or something like that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love this goddamn comic

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

I go out of my way to not buy anything on Thanksgiving or Black Friday because people should be at home with their families, not fending off the closest thing to a real-life zombie hoard for 12+ hours straight.

Especially when historically they're not even the best prices of the holiday season save the 50 or so people at each store who camped out to get doorbuster deals.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I went out to a local game store I had never visited.

I got this and also Fallout 4.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

About 40 new Pokemon in my dex

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finished Ori Definitive on Hard mode, 100% this time (thank you game for allowing backtracking this time). Somehow didn't get the find all the secrets achievement though :confused:

Also I never figured out how to use the Charge Dash :rolleye:
The new projectile tossing ability seemed completely worthless outside of them rejiggering a bunch of puzzles to use is. Dash was awesome though, as was the whole huge new area.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy fuckin lol.

Trying to quit BF1 is so broken that I just got credit for winning a match that took place entirely while I was trying to quit. I hit the quite button at the end of a match. Then I sat at a loading screen for 10 minutes. About 8 minutes into it, I got a trophy for winning my first match of war pigeons (which is super fun, btw). Then I heard the sound of points accumulating. Then I loaded into the post-match screen.

Fortunately, quitting worked when I tried to quit after this match that I didn't play at all, and yet got credit for.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I didn't plan on getting much but I ended up getting the PS4 Skyrim, Dishonored 2, The first season of Hitman, Trackmania Turbo, Lumo, Volgar the Viking and Neptunia VII

No I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem :mad:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://i.imgur.com/UvrbpVA.gifv

:supaburn:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apparently Dell is offering refurbished laptops for 70% off.

I wish I knew more about Laptop quality so I could figure out a good one to get. :smith:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently Dell is offering refurbished laptops for 70% off.

I wish I knew more about Laptop quality so I could figure out a good one to get. :smith:

Ask in the Laptop Thread in SH/SC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Just give an estimate of what you're looking for and you'll get a solid recommendation. The OP is a little out of date, however.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just beat a bunch of short games, how was your day everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0gOEyK6Tg

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's cool that you can vaguely customize your Steam queue now because it showed me Super Star Path and that game is really cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Ask in the Laptop Thread in SH/SC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651

Just give an estimate of what you're looking for and you'll get a solid recommendation. The OP is a little out of date, however.

Huh, appreciated. Thanks!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KA BLAM, knocked three whole minutes off of my record!! It was almost easy with all these new skips I've been practicing. The run is officially more cutscene than gameplay in realtime now! Amazing. I love life so much you guys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How much cutscene time in that 50?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In realtime, this latest run is 2 hours exactly to the minute between the moment you gain control to the moment you get the "you won!" screen. The timer you see there only counts up when you're in control of Max (not counting bullet cams). So including the bullet cams, there are officially 10 more minutes of cutscene than gameplay now. :haw:

edit: of course, the realtime is just the length of the video. That doesn't count bullet time, which also slows down how fast that timer counts up. So I'd say it's probably closer to five more minutes of cutscene than gameplay, but still!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 26, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

CJacobs posted:

KA BLAM, knocked three whole minutes off of my record!! It was almost easy with all these new skips I've been practicing. The run is officially more cutscene than gameplay in realtime now! Amazing. I love life so much you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xWjTyOdFVI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darn in-engine cutscenes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Darn in-engine cutscenes.

The worst part is that there's a crazy long cutscene like a couple minutes before the hardest part of the whole game. So every time I'm just sitting there like "don't freak out, don't freak out, SHUT UP MAX I JUST WANNA GET PAST THIS PART".

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The worst part is that there's a crazy long cutscene like a couple minutes before the hardest part of the whole game. So every time I'm just sitting there like "don't freak out, don't freak out, SHUT UP MAX I JUST WANNA GET PAST THIS PART".

Which one, tremors?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

Which one, tremors?

There's actually a couple cutscenes that give me anxiety for the upcoming segment, come to think of it:

- Just before the QTE where you take out the scarred face guy whose name is Milo Rego I think? I think that's his name. If you do the QTE too fast you just die which is boners, so I always have to remind myself to go fast but not TOO fast but not too slow but also don't hit the wrong buttons etc.

- Just before the collapsing building part, yeah, and in this run I accidentally swapped Max's handgun out for a revolver so I had to be super careful with my shots

- Just before Max ropes Passos into assaulting the museum during the boat chapter, which imo is the hardest single checkpoint because there's ten million men with 200% accurate guns

- Just before fighting Bachmeyer in the second to last chapter because that fight is absolute bullshit and if you get shot in it you just die with no last man standing, even if there are other guys around, which is nuts! That part is so crazy hard.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To anybody in here who watched a lot of mythbusters, do any of you remember an episode where they made pruno?

I swear to god I remember an episode with them making prison toilet wine but google isn't turning up anything and I can find 1 mention of it on a mythbusters reddit where it is one person saying the words "prison toilet wine" and then when I try searching said reddit for toilet wine, it says that nobody has ever said that, so it just makes me think that I'm going absolutely crazy here like I've been displaced from some alternate timeline where the mythbusters did a myth about prison hooch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is a website that has every single mythbusters episode and test and its result listed, there's a custom google search box in the top right. Try using that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I did, and was unable to find any mention of it there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

played one more game but didnt beat it tonight. but that leaves me with only 6 more 2016-published games to play to reach 50. To play, still: Suits: a Business RPG, Earthlock, Oxenfree, Gunmetal Arcadia Zero, Kathy Rain, Transmissions: Element 120. i also have ara fell but it's gonna be too long to get through in time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I did, and was unable to find any mention of it there

Then I am sorry to say but it appears you have crossed over into The Worst Timeline, my friend.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Then I am sorry to say but it appears you have crossed over into The Worst Timeline, my friend.

We're in the worst timeline right now, but we'll have to make the best of it :smith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't worry, the moon will crush us all soon enough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I am slowly but surely coming to believe in the mandela effect

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

I am slowly but surely coming to believe in the mandela effect

drat those Berenstoin bears!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I don't know how anyone speedruns games with unskippable cutscenes. I feel like that would be the part that makes me want to drive nails into my eyes, watching the same scenes over, and over, and over.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anna's quest is available free here for 24 hours, but it is non-Steam and uses some launcher that acts as a device driver

https://playfield.io/annas-quest

the launcher tries to do that thing the ps4 was supposed to do where you can launch into the game while the game is still downloading. they want people to test it so thats why they're giving a game away for free??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I don't know how anyone speedruns games with unskippable cutscenes. I feel like that would be the part that makes me want to drive nails into my eyes, watching the same scenes over, and over, and over.

To some extent, it does make me feel that way, but I like it because I can use that time to examine the story a little (both in the commentary and in my head while I'm playing). Max Payne 3 is not an extremely well written game, and it pains me to say that! Max's narration is probably the best part of it as was the case in 1 and 2 as well. But it does deal fairly well with the themes of what is classified as revenge versus what can be called justice, so when I have to sit through a long cutscene I kick back and ponder that for a bit before getting back to the shooting. It's a shame because I think if the game wasn't written by unbearable hack writer Dan Houser, it could've dealt with its themes even better and been great!

edit: Or I open the Awful app and check for new posts in the case of the two cutscenes that go on for like 3 unskippable minutes apiece.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

To some extent, it does make me feel that way, but I like it because I can use that time to examine the story a little (both in the commentary and in my head while I'm playing). Max Payne 3 is not an extremely well written game, and it pains me to say that! Max's narration is probably the best part of it as was the case in 1 and 2 as well. But it does deal fairly well with the themes of what is classified as revenge versus what can be called justice, so when I have to sit through a long cutscene I kick back and ponder that for a bit before getting back to the shooting. It's a shame because I think if the game wasn't written by unbearable hack writer Dan Houser, it could've dealt with its themes even better and been great!

Haha, I have to admit that'd probably make it worse for me, but I'm glad you have some solution for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Would it be against the rules to speedrun a modded version with skippable cutscenes just to make it easier to play and practice. Because obviously that wouldn't actually impact the time or playing requirements, just streamline it all.

• Locked thread