Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

morallyobjected posted:

yeah, the main story counts as a miniventure, though I don't think the game ever makes that clear.

as far as grinding, you should have access to a secret area in Icicle ridge where you can get 60000-100000 exp per fight. just make sure you bring along Ifrit or someone else with an ability to use fire on a group

if you don't know the secret area, I think the ability to get it triggers when you walk through the plaza in Nine Wood Hills, which I didn't get for the longest time because I always used the fast travel between places.

The secret area is part of the story to get Tama back so it's not locked behind any obtuse set of requirements. You can't get the true ending without opening that area up. It should be pretty clear that you need to talk to Seraphie after you defeat the rest of the Pleiad, which then leads you to that area.

Also, it helps to have both stacks be able to use fire attacks that hit ask all enemies when grinding there. You can bring one of the Ifrit transfigs, and you can also get a firaga mirajewel from a King Bomb's board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shoren posted:

The secret area is part of the story to get Tama back so it's not locked behind any obtuse set of requirements. You can't get the true ending without opening that area up. It should be pretty clear that you need to talk to Seraphie after you defeat the rest of the Pleiad, which then leads you to that area.

Also, it helps to have both stacks be able to use fire attacks that hit ask all enemies when grinding there. You can bring one of the Ifrit transfigs, and you can also get a firaga mirajewel from a King Bomb's board.

And then equip Lure and just run in circles by the save point -- open every fight with Blaze or Firaga for instant KO. Can repeat without even looking at the tv.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is there a decent place to grind out new mirages in the postscript before the final boss? I was able to slog through the required intervention quests, but it felt like they took a lot longer than they should have, and I had to cheese Odin's Zantetsuken by summoning an XL mirage the turn before he used it, so I'm pretty sure I'm underpowered at the moment.

Also how do I unlock Tama's transfig? I did the postscript quest to get her back, and was able to do the intervention quest to unlock Serafie's transfig, but I still don't have the required item for Tama (and Yuguru I guess).

Ya you might be underpowered. Did you hit the boss with lightning? He has a 200% weakness to it so you shouldn't have hit his enrage.

Try the new area in icicle ridge for grinding.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do they explain who Enna Kros is later in the game? Her admitting she was "god" I feel is a bit of a red herring

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do they explain who Enna Kros is later in the game? Her admitting she was "god" I feel is a bit of a red herring

They kind of do but the long and short of it is that she ain't lying.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
make sure you're going to the Twins' Room every now and then to read the Who's Who, not only for world lore but also because many of them are hilarious

Shoren posted:

yeah, I forgot the order because I did pretty much everything else before it due to fact that I never walked through the plaza to trigger the scene and never checked the miniventure list for it, unless I'm remembering wrong

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 22, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Managed to find the treasure chests trejies and secret area I was missing, just a couple hours of grinding to go and I get my first plat :toot:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do mimic chests count for the trophy? I think there's one I avoided because I'm under leveled for it

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
gently caress I ran across a magic jar but didn't have an elixir to catch it. :negative:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tensokuu posted:

gently caress I ran across a magic jar but didn't have an elixir to catch it. :negative:

there aren't any permanently middle mirages, so don't fret too much. you'll be able to get one of those family later if you really want one in one of your stacks

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tensokuu posted:

Those special encounters in the secret portions of the dungeons respawn once you leave the dungeon, from what I've seen mentioned elsewhere.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As you complete more and more of the game/postgame/other side poo poo like getting all the story mirages, the Who's Who option in the twin's room spells out a lot of stuff that the game otherwise does not bother telling you in the slightest. It's a bit like FF13's datalogs that way.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

morallyobjected posted:

do mimic chests count for the trophy? I think there's one I avoided because I'm under leveled for it

Yes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

As you complete more and more of the game/postgame/other side poo poo like getting all the story mirages, the Who's Who option in the twin's room spells out a lot of stuff that the game otherwise does not bother telling you in the slightest. It's a bit like FF13's datalogs that way.

The Girl's Diary bits provide bits of backstory as well.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Those special encounters in the secret portions of the dungeons respawn once you leave the dungeon, from what I've seen mentioned elsewhere.

You actually don't even need to go that far if there's one you're really intent on getting. Just zone out of the room and go back in and it will be back.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

gently caress.

Shoren posted:

You actually don't even need to go that far if there's one you're really intent on getting. Just zone out of the room and go back in and it will be back.

I just tested this with Cerberus at the Dragon Scars and I think you have to at least reload the dungeon because I killed it, left, came back, and it wasn't there

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

I just tested this with Cerberus at the Dragon Scars and I think you have to at least reload the dungeon because I killed it, left, came back, and it wasn't there

That's odd, because I'm sure after I captured the holy dragon I zoned out and back in for some reason and it was there again. I may be full of poo poo because I've been misremembering details like this on other games lately.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am really liking the fourth wall breaking in the story and the terrible puns.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, the game's writing has a very "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe to it and I love it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This one is probably one of my favourites (late-game mirage, but not really plot relevant):

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Platinum done in just a shade over 70 hours :toot:

Probably could shave almost ten off of that if I had been paying attention to getting chests and mirages earlier in the game so I'd have less backtracking to do, but I was having too much fun to care so totally worth it. Would definitely recommend saving the miniventures for almost last for others trying to plat as there are a couple chains that you will just have everything for that way. Also there is a hidden one that the questgiver only shows if you have a flan in your party or bench. A regular flan, not mini or princess. She's at the back of the caravan

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So is the 1.01 Patch still not good for PS4Pros?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Platinum done in just a shade over 70 hours :toot:

Probably could shave almost ten off of that if I had been paying attention to getting chests and mirages earlier in the game so I'd have less backtracking to do, but I was having too much fun to care so totally worth it. Would definitely recommend saving the miniventures for almost last for others trying to plat as there are a couple chains that you will just have everything for that way. Also there is a hidden one that the questgiver only shows if you have a flan in your party or bench. A regular flan, not mini or princess. She's at the back of the caravan

honestly, the worst miniventure for me was trying to get two healing springs. one you can get guaranteed, but for the other you have to hope for a rare drop, and even with treasure hunter, it took at least half an hour.

e: how are people leveling? I'm at like level 72 and it just seems like I'm gonna be grinding forever to get to the 80s so I can actually do enough damage to get the last coliseum battles taken care of. I've been using the water area of the EX dungeon with the EXP Bonus mirajewel, which is about 100000 exp per fight, but that's still gonna take a long time.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 23, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So is the 1.01 Patch still not good for PS4Pros?

Still. I'm very unhappy about it. I tweeted my frustration at SE for all the good that does.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

e: how are people leveling? I'm at like level 72 and it just seems like I'm gonna be grinding forever to get to the 80s so I can actually do enough damage to get the last coliseum battles taken care of. I've been using the water area of the EX dungeon with the EXP Bonus mirajewel, which is about 100000 exp per fight, but that's still gonna take a long time.

The final screen before the 4th postgame dungeon boss is probably the best. Weak groups of mobs you can aoe down for 160k to 210k(?) exp every time. Also the savepoint is right there so you can go nuts on AP every fight.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Still. I'm very unhappy about it. I tweeted my frustration at SE for all the good that does.

Great. I bought the game shortly before getting a pro,can i uninstall the patch?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morallyobjected posted:

honestly, the worst miniventure for me was trying to get two healing springs. one you can get guaranteed, but for the other you have to hope for a rare drop, and even with treasure hunter, it took at least half an hour.

The Mist Dragons respawn (I assume you were talking about that for the guaranteed one) if you leave the area and since the exit to that dungeon is so close to the entrance of another I just warped to that entrance and ran back there to kill them again and get the one I needed.

To add to what Captain Capslock said, to get to the area he mentioned I just equipped a stealth mirajewel and put a cactaur with flee on my stack and ran to the end of the three bonus dungeons so I could beat the stacks, which is easily doable if you're in the 70s. Used the same strategy to get to the save point in the fourth dungeon that opens after you do that and started raking in the EXP.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Great. I bought the game shortly before getting a pro,can i uninstall the patch?

Only if you have a physical copy. I bought the game digitally so when I tried deleting the game and downloading it again it came with the 1.01 patch. If you're upgrading from a regular PS4 then you can just go back to that and use the cross-save feature.

IcePhoenix posted:

The Mist Dragons respawn (I assume you were talking about that for the guaranteed one) if you leave the area and since the exit to that dungeon is so close to the entrance of another I just warped to that entrance and ran back there to kill them again and get the one I needed.

The Mist Dragon was the last secret area I found because I forgot about that flutter point since that part of the story drags on a bit and you can't access it initially. By then I had already gone in search of Unicorns in the Crystal Tower for the healing springs and was annoyed when I got those drops from the secret area.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my problem with the area in the last EX dungeon is that I keep getting wiped by the groups of 6 Mus or Chocochicks since I don't have AoE attacks that are strong enough to wipe them yet (my mirages that could hit their weaknesses aren't strong enough yet) and groups of 6 enemies just ruin your day with stack toppling, which is why I was grinding elsewhere, but maybe I'll try again to see if I can do it.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

morallyobjected posted:

my problem with the area in the last EX dungeon is that I keep getting wiped by the groups of 6 Mus or Chocochicks since I don't have AoE attacks that are strong enough to wipe them yet (my mirages that could hit their weaknesses aren't strong enough yet) and groups of 6 enemies just ruin your day with stack toppling, which is why I was grinding elsewhere, but maybe I'll try again to see if I can do it.

I am not sure how you got this far in the game without strong AoE, but can't you just make some with mirajewels and seeds? Use that to prop yourself up while you level a shiva or something in the reserves.

I don't actually remember what seeds they give you and I already passed my copy to a friend so I can't check but I feel like this should work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My stacks at that point both featured high 60s/low 70s Shiva and Ifreeta so that was zero problem for me :v:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Here's my setup for grinding that area: Searcher with an Ultima seed with Reynn. Searchers have a really good magic stat which makes them useful. I also gave her a thundaga jewel just in case. Her other mirage isn't too important. On Lann I have a Zaphr and a Magic Jar. The Zaphr has thundaga and the Magic Jar has death (needed for the behemoth stacks). An ultima and a thundaga are enough to kill everything. I have magic+ jewels on both twins, not much but every bit helps. It also helps to have a vigilance jewel (red Magna Roader) and a first strike jewel (Nightsqual) just in case. My twins are mid 70's but I think you can get by in the 60's like this. Grind in Icicle Ridge to get to that point.

If you don't have enough arma gems for an ultima seed then I think putting Mishiva into Reynn's stack for blizzaga would work instead. Thundaga for the Mus and blizzaga for the Chocochicks.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm making my way through the postgame now. First thing I did was defeat all available arma gem quests. Super God was really fun to get but is kind of underwhelming to have. It was a tough fight though, and it might get cooler as time goes by. The other fight that gave me trouble was the second Diabolos fight, surprisingly! drat status ailments. I'm making my way through the game again, looking for any missed treasure chests/sidequests. It's still really fun.

Oh! And now that I've started the postgame proper: I was 100% right about Seraphie being an amazing companion and wanting her to travel with me the whole time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I just used Zapt all game so my Shiva/Ifrit family is pretty low in comparison, and thunderbolt wasn't enough, but I've done some grinding since then and I think I have an ultima seed so I'll see what happens

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm glad that I helped Serafie become jiant.

Edit: Oh yeah! What's up with the dude in Nibelheim who asks us if we want to practice with him?

I literally have no idea what it's supposed to mean. Practice what? Why?!

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 24, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Finally got the platinum trophy last night and I have to say that this game was a ton of fun! Here are some of my thoughts on the game:

Brandelis wasn't too bad as a final boss. I got wiped out on my first try at him in the postscript because after his first Megaflare he kept casting it every other turn without any charge up and I just couldn't deal with it and I didn't want to burn through megalixers. Second time around I took Lann off of support duty and had both him and Reynn burn him down during the charge up (since he becomes super weak to all elements except thunder) and he went down super quick.

Overall, the game was gorgeous. When I first saw screencaps of the game I thought no way I'd play it with the ridiculous chibi characters, and yet the hypetrain carried me away a few weeks before launch and I loved it. Surprisingly, it was the visuals that impressed me the most with this game, in particular the textures. I made a big post about this before, but they put so much effort into all the individual textures that if not for the generally whimsical style of the game it would put most AAA titles to shame for how realistic it looks.

The minigames were pretty awful. And the minigame trophies were also lovely because for starters they didn't indicate that they had anything to do with the minigames! The "Magitek Knight" trophy, for instance, just says to defeat a lot of enemies as any Magitek Armor, except that you specifically need to win the Sandstalker minigame 10 times and you don't even need to destroy any of the Cogna as Terra's Magitek Armor. Speaking of Sandstalker, I don't know what they were smoking with gating the Maduin memento behind that intervention. I got lucky in that it took me less than 10 tries overall to get it (and that was even when I had two flawless runs that took me 11 and 12 turns to complete), but I can see how this minigame would frustrate a lot of players. On top of that, there's no indication at all in how to obtain the memento and that's a huge game design sin. Unless I missed some hints somewhere. I also got extremely lucky with the 'Fast and the Nebulous' trophy by clearing that minigame in 59.99 seconds :woop:

I've read a lot of people's thoughts that this game is super easy and not a challenge, but I found that if you don't pay attention to your elemental resistances then it can completely gently caress your day up. On the other hand, if you pay attention to your elemental resistances then you can trivialize a lot of fights. I was extremely underleveled for the EX dungeons at first, but by setting up my stacks to absorb the attacks from the dark Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh fights I was able to get through them no problem. Then I rushed through to the end of EX dungeon Z and grinded my way to victory.

The treasure chest and murkrift trophies were also kinda lovely. I had three chests that I didn't open by the time I completed everything else. Two of them were my own fault (one was in the open in the first area of the Phantom Sands, and the second was second area in the middle path), but the third one was a big "gently caress you" from the devs because it was in the Train Graveyard, first area, tucked between two containers behind a ramp and completely hidden from the camera. And with the murkrifts, there are 6 that you need to manually fly around in the airship to get. The airship has literally no other use except to fly around and find those.

Feels good to air those grievances. I really enjoyed this game and would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes Final Fantasy games. The only things I didn't like about the game were in the optional content so I think that speaks pretty well overall for how good the game is. It was a fun little adventure and now I'm primed for FFXV!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I'm honestly excited for a WoFF 2. all I have left trophy-wise is 100 mirage boards, all coliseum fights, and filling out the mirage manual. it'll take some grinding, but I'll get there.

one little touch they're really missing is the ability to land places when you're in the airship. I was sad when I couldn't just go to an area by flying the ship there

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When do I get elixirs? I want this pokeymans

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

I'm honestly excited for a WoFF 2. all I have left trophy-wise is 100 mirage boards, all coliseum fights, and filling out the mirage manual. it'll take some grinding, but I'll get there.

one little touch they're really missing is the ability to land places when you're in the airship. I was sad when I couldn't just go to an area by flying the ship there

I didn't feel like the grinding was all that bad. Reynn and Lann hit level 99 surprisingly easy. It also helps that the "100" mirage boards is really like 33-50 because of the tangential mirage transfigs you can do. Once you're done with all the mirage boards then the coliseum is really easy. Just stack up with a high magic stat and nuke everything with ultima.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When do I get elixirs? I want this pokeymans

You mean the Magic Jar in the forest? There should be an elixir you can find at some point leading up to there, either in the Watchplains or the Nebula. Can't remember which, but I think it's worth backtracking to look for it because that's one of my favorite mirages.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shoren posted:

I didn't feel like the grinding was all that bad. Reynn and Lann hit level 99 surprisingly easy. It also helps that the "100" mirage boards is really like 33-50 because of the tangential mirage transfigs you can do. Once you're done with all the mirage boards then the coliseum is really easy. Just stack up with a high magic stat and nuke everything with ultima.

You mean the Magic Jar in the forest? There should be an elixir you can find at some point leading up to there, either in the Watchplains or the Nebula. Can't remember which, but I think it's worth backtracking to look for it because that's one of my favorite mirages.

apparently you get an elixir in the ice zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have heard hellish, nightmarish things about the treasure chest trophy in this game and watched one guy try to go through every area in the game for four hours trying to look for a chest he missed and just couldn't find it. Is there just one super secret area in this game where a chest is hidden, or should I be following a treasure chest checklist or something as I go along? In terms of progress, I just met the girl who forgot her name

• Locked thread