Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
are we gonna get to gently caress a geth this time or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

:pray:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

This platform is immune to organic disease.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Quorum posted:

I'm pretty sure the person responsible for recruiting and dealing with personnel issues that might interfere with productivity would be the de facto Human Resources department, sooooo...

Kelly Chambers might be human resources but she's just as horney as Shepard so that is out the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTKr7fpiCfE

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Quorum posted:

Geth do not intentionally seduce.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Quorum posted:

This platform was made to be hosed.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wheres my female turian love interest

i want to do it with a bird

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Besides Garrus?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You're all thinking too small yet again. We've yet to have it confirmed if Thresher Maws are in this game or not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No pentagram, 5/10

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Speaking of reproduction, why the hell did the krogans bother moving to Andromeda? Mordin is the only dude who could cure the genophage (someone else might have gotten it wrong) and that happened after they all left for a galaxy far, far away.

Edit: I mean, I'm glad to have another lizardbro to shoot things with shotguns then punch them for me, but MY IMMERSION.

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 25, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Speaking of reproduction, why the hell did the krogans bother moving to Andromeda? Mordin is the only dude who could cure the genophage (someone else might have gotten it wrong) and that happened after they all left for a galaxy far, far away.

Edit: I mean, I'm glad to have another lizardbro to shoot things with shotguns then punch them for me, but MY IMMERSION.

The remaining Krogans in the galaxy have a deathwish so they probably just went along to have something to punch and/or shoot until they die because the vast majority of them don't really care about their prolonged survival as a species

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Maybe it's all one clan & they figured that since they can't increase population birth rate they could try decreasing mortality rate by getting away from the other clans that want to kill them / steal their women.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just because they're bad at having babies doesnt mean they don't wanna explore the universe man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Somewhat trivial for ancient andromeda alien tech to miraculously cure the genophage

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
maybe if you lie frozen in a pod for 600 years it kills the genophage

makes u think

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

maybe if you lie frozen in a pod for 600 years it kills the genophage

makes u think

It's not 600 years. Or wait is it 600 years from the pov of the travelers or from earth?

Or does mass effect ignore relativity

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

It's not 600 years. Or wait is it 600 years from the pov of the travelers or from earth?

well, mass effect fields, so

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

euphronius posted:

I would assume so, anything that goes faster than light would have to. Unless it goes faster than light by warping space AND going a significant percentage of c while inside the warped space.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
mass effect

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The cure for the genophage wasn't massively advertised before the arks went out. After all, it wasn't deployed until about the middle of the Reaper invasion and the only people who knew about it were the Salarians and the Krogan already on Tuchanka. The arks went out at least a few months before the proper Reaper invasion. There's no real reason why a clan or so of Krogan wouldn't tag along on a journey someplace the rest of the galaxy wouldn't have an opinion on them and might let them settle in peace. Of course, the Salarians might try and sabotage their ship in some way or hamper their efforts but not outright stop them from traveling abroad since all that means is hey, less Krogan around for the next 600 years and a greater chance they'll never regain their numbers.

I mean, I kind of wish they'd just not come along because their story has been played out and not in a good way.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

even in the mass effect fields there should be time dilation right.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

evilmiera posted:

The cure for the genophage wasn't massively advertised before the arks went out. After all, it wasn't deployed until about the middle of the Reaper invasion and the only people who knew about it were the Salarians and the Krogan already on Tuchanka. The arks went out at least a few months before the proper Reaper invasion. There's no real reason why a clan or so of Krogan wouldn't tag along on a journey someplace the rest of the galaxy wouldn't have an opinion on them and might let them settle in peace. Of course, the Salarians might try and sabotage their ship in some way or hamper their efforts but not outright stop them from traveling abroad since all that means is hey, less Krogan around for the next 600 years and a greater chance they'll never regain their numbers.

I mean, I kind of wish they'd just not come along because their story has been played out and not in a good way.

counterpoint: mass effect 3 was the only game without a krogan squadmate and we all saw how THAT turned out

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Chomp8645 posted:

The SHEPARD sytem.

See a vision from a Prothean Artifact
Help a Quarian bring evidence to the Council
Explore the galaxy for leads
Pursue Saren
Assault the Conduit
Retake the Citadel
Demonstrate value.

lol, good grief.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
We literally have no idea what happens if you travel faster than light, so I think it's quite ok to ignore scientific theory there.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Mymla posted:

We literally have no idea what happens if you travel faster than light, so I think it's quite ok to ignore scientific theory there.
Well, to be precise, the current understanding is that traveling faster than light is impossible.
Once you introduce a semi-mystical element that bypasses the laws of physics, who cares anyway?
Also some Krogans tagging along makes total sense, and it'd be sad if none turned up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

The Mass Effect series is built on a single-player foundation, but Mass Effect 3 added a compelling cooperative multiplayer mode. That was a risky move for a story-driven RPG, but it paid off for BioWare, drawing in many players who normally stuck to the series’ solo campaign.

Multiplayer returns in Mass Effect Andromeda, and we got to play a few rounds when we visited BioWare’s Montreal studio. If you enjoyed Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer offering as much as we did, then you’ll probably be happy with what the team has in store with Andromeda. However, this new iteration isn’t just recycling the same mechanics. The framework is similar, but BioWare is making some key changes to make the experience deeper and more rewarding for players of all skill levels.

1. Less Hunkering
One critical strategy in Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer was figuring out the most defensible points on each map, and then staying in those spots for as many waves as possible. While increasing pressure from advancing enemies certainly made combat feel dangerous, hiding behind a few crates for the majority of a match isn’t the most exciting way to approach multiplayer.

Andromeda is doing more to keep players on the move. For instance, some enemies are specifically designed to flush you and your team out of hiding, while others are intended to force you into cover. When each of those foes are on the map, no one location is easily fortified, so you have to spend more time out in the open and fending off foes on the run.

That may have been a death sentence in Mass Effect 3, but the new powers and mobility options you have in Andromeda are tailored to these situations. Defensive play is still important, but now players have more offensive options, and more variety in the combat scenarios that arise.

“The first thing everyone will notice is how dynamic it is,” says producer Fabrice Condominas. “Everything is more fluid, fast-paced, there’s a lot of action going on. The controls are also more responsive. All of that is on purpose; we really wanted to increase the dynamism and how accessible it is while retaining the depth and going more into layers.”

2. Power Cooldowns
The gunplay in Mass Effect 3 was fun, but the main feature that set the multiplayer apart was how you used your special powers – both by yourself and in coordination with your team. The team is amplifying this in Andromeda by putting powers on individual cooldown timers, rather than having them all attached to a single global timer.

That may not seem like a big deal, but the increased versatility and initiative it affords you in combat makes a significant difference. In Mass Effect 3, the global timer meant that you were briefly locked out of all of your powers when you used any one of them. This made some players hesitant to use a power in a tight spot for fear that a more pressing demand for a different power was just around the corner. That’s not a concern anymore; when you use a power, you only need to wait for that particular timer to recharge. That gives you more freedom to use the tools at your disposal.

“You can dump everything at once if you want to, or strategize and hold off until the right situation,” says lead designer Ian Frazier. “So you can do a lot more interesting combinations.”

The global timer also made it challenging to prime and detonate powerful combo moves solo. With that restriction removed, you have more access to these techniques within your own repertoire – though you should still coordinate with teammates to get the most out of them.

3. The Jetpack
All of the obvious advantages you would expect from a jetpack are present in full force. You can hover above enemies, quickly surmount obstacles, and maneuver quickly from side to side. It has limitations, but going airborne is still fun (once you get used to being mapped to the button that made you take cover in Mass Effect 3). “It’s not a permanent rocket that you use to fly around,” Condominas says. “There is a beginning and end to them – a momentum curve – based on when you do your input.”

However, another important aspect tied to the jetpack is a new element of verticality to multiplayer maps. Even though Mass Effect 3’s maps had different tiers, you had to move between them using either ladders or ramps, which slowed down the action. The jetpack allows you ascend quickly and easily, which makes the battlefields feel more interesting and unpredictable.

In one session we played, an elevated command room separated lower platforms on either side. The higher ground (and superior cover) make it desirable, but it isn’t impenetrable. By tossing a singularity to take the exposed enemies out, our team was able to swiftly fly up into the room and wipe out the remaining foes – regular Kett grunts. We then used our advantageous position to fire down at enemies on the opposite side. The fluidity is difficult to describe, but when you use the jetpack, the freedom of movement feels like a big step up.

4. Going Shopping
The blind card packs are returning for Andromeda, so the new weapons, character kits, and items you obtain are determined by luck. You buy the packs with in-game currency you earn from playing. You can also purchase them with real money, which doesn’t give you access to anything that you can’t buy with the in-game alternative. Even so, if there’s a particular weapon you want, or a race/class combination, it can be frustrating to burn through pack after pack and never have the cards come up in your favor.

Andromeda provides players a way to bypass the grind. You now have access to a store that sells a limited assortment of loot on a rotating basis. Yes, there’s still an element of chance involved in what items the store sells, but at least you know what you’re getting.

“If you don’t want to be at the mercy of the random number generator for the cards, you’re still at the mercy of what’s in the store right now, but it’s like, ‘Oh, that’s the Black Widow and I really want it!’” Frazier says. “You can buy them with real-world money if you want to, but again, nothing requires that.” If you want to shop at the store, you need to spend “mission funds,” a new currency different from the credits you use to purchase blind packs (but which are still acquired by playing the game).

5. Prestige
One of the biggest challenges for any multiplayer mode is hanging onto players over time. Long-term rewards help to keep them invested beyond the simple enjoyment of playing a fun game. Mass Effect 3 saw continued support for a year after release, but even so, the progression plateaued. “If you really got into the ME 3 multiplayer, you could always collect more cards and get more items, but at a certain point, you’re playing because you like to play,” Frazier says. “There was no systemic benefit at a certain point.”

Andromeda addresses that with the concept of prestige XP. As you play, you accrue prestige XP alongside standard XP. Instead of being used to advance a single character, prestige XP accumulates across a particular character styles. For instance, characters that occupy a tank role in combat share prestige progress, so any time you play one of those kits, you earn XP building toward their next prestige level. When you hit that threshold, you earn a bonus – like a health boost – across all characters (not just the tanks). The more you play, and the more you vary your playstyle, the more of these prestige bonuses you will earn. This is a slower burn than standard progression; we didn't get enough hands-on time at BioWare Montreal to see the prestige mechanics in action, but the idea has us excited to sink time into Andromeda's multiplayer.

The Big Question: Campaign Tie-In
The most conspicuous mystery surrounding multiplayer right now is its connection to the single-player adventure. The team has confirmed that such a connection exists – this isn’t like Dragon Age Inquisition, where the multiplayer mode has no effect on your campaign. However, BioWare also knows that many fans didn’t like how Mass Effect 3 effectively twisted your arm to engage with multiplayer by tying it to your galactic readiness – and thereby impacting your ending. The degree to which single-player and multiplayer are linked falls somewhere between those two extremes.

Here are a few things we know for sure:

The mission funds you obtain in multiplayer have “tendrils going out into the rest of the game,” according to Frazier.
In the single-player demo we saw, there was an option on the pause menu to jump straight into multiplayer.
“You will have possibilities to send teams to complete kind of side missions, or to do it yourself in multiplayer,” Condominas says. “That’s the idea.”
The team doesn’t want solo players to feel like they are obligated to play multiplayer. “If you feel cheated, we’ve done something wrong,” Frazier says.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/11/25/five-major-changes-to-mass-effects-multiplayer-and-one-big-question.aspx

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Why'd you stop PMing me bro

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zzulu posted:

it's still funny that they only bothered to make a model for that for a DLC

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zzulu posted:

Put it in her cloaca

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

frajaq posted:

it's still funny that they only bothered to make a model for that for a DLC

I still think it's really dumb that they didn't just say that about half the turians in the games are female, but we can't tell the difference.

I mean loving hell it's basically what they did with the salarians.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
huh? Saren was female

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"Less hunkering" Are people still trying to do the old FBW farming? Or are they that concerned about people having an "easy" mode?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I wondered that too, but maybe I'm just not thinking about it the right way because I split my time between really mobile Infiltrator builds and the Juggernaut that can't hunker anyway on Gold or higher. I don't really remember bunkering in one spot being very viable beyond the early days of the game, map changes got rid of the places where AI got itself trapped in shooting galleries. Platinum is it's own anomaly.

Although I guess Bioware probably has their stat tracking showing them how many people never played beyond Bronze/Silver and they have to base the game around that or something

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The best part of the early game bunkers was assembly line melee ganking a line of geth as the plodded in.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

show me that robutt

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Mymla posted:

We know exactly what happens if you travel faster than light: You arrive at your destination before you left.

Also maybe you turn into salamanders or something.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zzulu posted:

I want a harem. Why are they limiting me to porking one space alien? Why can't I pork all the crew on my ship. Why can't they all be my waifus

In the new game, not only will get you get to do this, but you'll be required to play Jacob's dad's mission from the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Trast posted:

The best part of the early game bunkers was assembly line melee ganking a line of geth as the plodded in.

Every time I get destroyed by a conga line of sliding tripods though.