Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The trick at that point is to just outright use the correct classes. Red Mage? It sounds cool but it doesn't shine until the lategame (or with hours and hours of grinding--don't do this) due to broken ability combos. Black Mage? Yes. Summoner? You won't really have the right summons or even the MP pool or items to keep your MP up, but play with it and see how you like it in the near future. Mystic Knight, very yes. Monk is always a great choice, too.

please use berserker.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

the only thing i have to say to joshua, i have to say with my fists

Joshua literally did nothing wrong except be kind of a smug rear end in a top hat teenager and even that was broken from him thanks to the power of friendship.

All of the TWEWY cast are perfect and if you didn't like anyone in it you can politely leave before you make my post my 120 page dissertation on why it is the single greatest video game ever conceived by human hands.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

They're talking about a Let's Play.

sick burn tho

not really j/k

it was not a burn so much as a statement of fact, ff13-2 is an easy as heck game, it won't take 2 years to play, even if your doing an lp

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

it was not a burn so much as a statement of fact, ff13-2 is an easy as heck game, it won't take 2 years to play, even if your doing an lp

It felt like it was taking two years when I was doing the two Oerbas that are nothing but puzzles.

And then there's the Bestiary Fragment. I just said gently caress that. I got all the other Fragments but I looked up getting that one and nope, I played over 100 hours, I did all the Puzzles, I beat all the (non-DLC) bosses, I had enough.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
When I first played FFX when it came out, I always thought that Tidus was from real Zanarkand and has been teleported through time. It was only like two weeks ago that I realized he was from Dream Zanarkand all along.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

When I first played FFX when it came out, I always thought that Tidus was from real Zanarkand and has been teleported through time. It was only like two weeks ago that I realized he was from Dream Zanarkand all along.

You can't skip cutscenes in FFX so I'm impressed by this.

Ask me about guessing the plot to Lost Odyssey the first time I played it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Tidus being a time traveler is the red herring plot line. You're supposed to think that until you learn that he's a summon. Wait I mean phantom beast.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Well that is the idea for like 85% of the game.

Plus the stuff with Dream Zanarkand is poorly explained and almost inconsequential. Tidus never really deals with the fact he doesn't exist and will vanish soon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Plus the stuff with Dream Zanarkand is poorly explained and almost inconsequential. Tidus never really deals with the fact he doesn't exist and will vanish soon.

He 100% does. That's the whole reversal at the end game where he starts talking like Yuna from the beginning of the journey while she's as excitable as he was at the start. He explicitly withholds information about his impending death just like she did to him because its better for the world.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NikkolasKing posted:

So you didn't finish FFX, I see.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ah but which has the worse difficulty curve, FFVIII or FFXIII-2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ah but which has the worse difficulty curve, FFVIII or FFXIII-2.

8 is not face-roll easy if you don't know the mechanics that break the game. For most of the people that played the game, you draw and junction and summon, and the bosses were challenging enough from that.

The problem with 13-2 is that the game isn't balanced around you leveling up or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

XIII-2 is absolutely worse because it undermines the game's only possibly redeeming feature, the combat, and breaking it only requires actually fighting anything and clicking the "I would like to level up now" button, while VIII's brokenness is a little bit more arcane and lets you turn off combat and enjoy its best feature which is its utterly insane story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

He 100% does. That's the whole reversal at the end game where he starts talking like Yuna from the beginning of the journey while she's as excitable as he was at the start. He explicitly withholds information about his impending death just like she did to him because its better for the world.

That's a fancy way of saying nothing came of it. The only time he's going to die comes up at all is one or two lines at the Bahamut Fayth and then right before the Yu Yevon boss fight. There are tons of cutscenes after the revelation at the Gagazet summit and what will happen to him comes up for all of five minutes, if that. First they have to deal with Yuna's sacrifice which is just around the corner, then they have to deal with finding a way to truly defeat Sin and then the final battles with Sin come up and thn Seymour and then Jecht. I'd say you got a few good hours there and Tidus doesn't dwell on his problem atall, we never see him go from the "I DON'T WANNA DIE!" reaction he had with Bahamut to "I altruistically accept what will happen."

This is the guy who said, in what is arguably the biggest moment in the game, that "But I want everything!" He specifically rejected Wakka's "you want this and this other thing? Impossible" and Lulu's "if you want everything, you'll end up with nothing."

Then he comes to same great moral compromise or epiphany off-screen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That's a fancy way of saying nothing came of it. The only time he's going to die comes up at all is one or two lines at the Bahamut Fayth and then right before the Yu Yevon boss fight. There are tons of cutscenes after the revelation at the Gagazet summit and what will happen to him comes up for all of five minutes, if that. First they have to deal with Yuna's sacrifice which is just around the corner, then they have to deal with finding a way to truly defeat Sin and then the final battles with Sin come up and thn Seymour and then Jecht. I'd say you got a few good hours there and Tidus doesn't dwell on his problem atall, we never see him go from the "I DON'T WANNA DIE!" reaction he had with Bahamut to "I altruistically accept what will happen."

This is the guy who said, in what is arguably the biggest moment in the game, that "But I want everything!" He specifically rejected Wakka's "you want this and this other thing? Impossible" and Lulu's "if you want everything, you'll end up with nothing."

Then he comes to same great moral compromise or epiphany off-screen.

From start to Yunalesca is a frame narrative of Tidus reflecting on what brought him to that point and how that has changed him as a person. There isn't a big moment following that where he explains it to you, because like 60%+ of the game is him explaining that to you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 26, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is reminding me of that one guy that literally though Tidus still hated Jecht after that final moment between them

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
He high fived Jecht in heaven out of hate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

From start to Yunalesca is a frame narrative of Tidus reflecting on what brought him to that point and how that has changed him as a person. There isn't a big moment following that where he explains it to you, because like 60%+ of the game is him explaining that to you.

That's an interesting interpretation I never thought of. The storytelling seemed to me to be about wasting time and prolonging Yuna's seemingly inevitable demise.

Tae posted:

This is reminding me of that one guy that literally though Tidus still hated Jecht after that final moment between them

I take offense to that. Tidus admitted he didn't hate his father as far back as Killika and at the Farplane he even realizes that it was his mother he resented all this time.

I just didn't really give FFX much thought in the subtlety department because it is the most un-subtle game ever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I gave up on FFX on the calm lands, is that why tidus is the best at water soccer

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

he said he hated him!!! obviously he wouldn't lie, he was crying bc of how much his hatred was affecting him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I gave up on FFX on the calm lands, is that why tidus is the best at water soccer

Tidus is the water element summon of FFX, yes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Tidus is the water element summon of FFX, yes.

:aaa:

THAT'S why he's always crying!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Developer interview from 1994 for Final Fantasy VI I thought is cool
http://shmuplations.com/ff6/

quote:

Inazawa: As Oota said, towards the end of the development there’s always bugs and other problems, but it’s also a really lively time at the office. I remember hearing Sakaguchi singing from accross the room, and when I listened closer, he was improvising some lyrics to Terra’s theme: “Another buuuggg… has been founnndddd…” (laughs) I guess he got the “singing” bug, hah. At that point, there’s little you can do but laugh.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Elentor LP'd FF7 for 4 years

:thejoke:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GreenBuckanneer posted:

He is actually a summoned ripoff of a dude who rocked at water soccer I think, because X-2 revealed that he was Based on a True Zanarkandan(tm) or something I didn't finish it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I never quite understood the Dream Zanarkand stuff and thought that was something that existed apart from Tidus. I thought that Tidus came from the real Zanarkand but had essentially died in the 1000 year time travel and so it was just his spirit existing as summoned/unsent in Yuna's time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He is actually a summoned ripoff of a dude who rocked at water soccer I think, because X-2 revealed that he was Based on a True Zanarkandan(tm) or something I didn't finish it

Tidus is basically a corrupted memory of Shuyin. A person named "Tidus" never really existed in the true Zanarkand, but the Fayth don't exactly have every detail after 1000 years of dreaming. So at some point, Shuyin became Tidus. It's supposed to conclude that, for all of the "Was a memory given the form of an Aeon" part of his character, Tidus was also himself.

Final Fantasy has an incredible habit of having a massive fanbase, most of whom don't seem to understand a loving thing about the games they like. Hence why we get "Tidus was whiny and bitchy and hated his dad" and "Vaan was irrelevant." Though the last one isn't helped by people not understanding the games development timeline

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of fandoms have a habit of building up 'canon-fanon' in their heads where, especially if the fandom is fairly insular, they tend to repeat the same things over and newcomers are introduced to it through the echo chamber to the point they tend to accept it as reality. It's not really exclusive to Final Fantasy though it does happen a lot there, I suspect because a good number of FF fans are people who played the game only once since even a short FF game is a long time investment.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of fandoms have a habit of building up 'canon-fanon' in their heads where, especially if the fandom is fairly insular, they tend to repeat the same things over and newcomers are introduced to it through the echo chamber to the point they tend to accept it as reality. It's not really exclusive to Final Fantasy though it does happen a lot there, I suspect because a good number of FF fans are people who played the game only once since even a short FF game is a long time investment.

"Canon-fanon" would be a lot cooler if it was "Mako-Canon".

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
They also tend to be played while young and far be it from me to cast aspersions on all who have not yet reached adulthood but I thought I was waaaay smarter than I was. I was, in fact, a fuckin' idiot, like all kids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toshimo posted:

"Canon-fanon" would be a lot cooler if it was "Mako-Canon".

Well, Cloud's backstory is his own fanfiction where he's a super cool guy who did all the important stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

Someone just gifted me FFXIII-2 asking me to blind LP it.

I have mixed feelings.

13-2 is a good game, and I think you'll enjoy it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's also the fact people have genuine disagreements and interpret things differently. I look at Squall and I see a disjointed mess of a character with some amazing potential but all of it was squandered on lovely storytelling. Others I know and even respect look at him and see a compelling protagonist, praising the extensive inner-monologues and the exploration of a child soldier's psychology.

Brushing it all off as "you dumb babies in your echo chambers" seems a bit unfair. There is of course some misunderstanding like in all things but there is also simply different perceptions, again just like in all things.

For the record, Vaan is no more irrelevant than every party member not named Ashe. She was the only party member with any consistent role in the story. Fran and Basch probably get hurt the worst by XII's amazingly bad pacing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Onmi posted:

"Vaan was irrelevant."
Wait, explain how Vaan was relevant? The game was very clearly Ashe and Basch's story with some significant Balthier bits, and Vaan's stuff with his brother and wanting to be a sky pirate was almost entirely ancillary and felt shoved into the narrative. Characters in the game have moments of "wait, who the hell are you?"

I was googling to make sure that I wasn't full of poo poo or misremembering the game and found this essay that lays it out pretty succinctly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onmi posted:

Final Fantasy has an incredible habit of having a massive fanbase, most of whom don't seem to understand a loving thing about the games they like. Hence why we get "Tidus was whiny and bitchy and hated his dad" and "Vaan was irrelevant." Though the last one isn't helped by people not understanding the games development timeline

I think the thing with Vaan is that he's relevant in a different way than all the other members of the XII cast (except Penelo, who's really irrelevant). Everyone else is important because of who they are, their designated role in things and how they interact with each other, same as most Final Fantasy characters (VII and X, off the top of my head, are pretty much full of that).

Vaan's another type of character, he's just some guy that gets swept up in massive events and proves himself strikingly capable of fighting for what's right. There's plenty of that in older Final Fantasy games (the entire cast of II and the IIImake, Bartz, Locke...) but not really in more recent ones unless you count Tiz from Bravely Default. Vaan is still a relevant character, but it's in a more complex way, because of what he does rather than who he is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that Final Fantasy fandom, more than any other I know of, has a habit of taking extremely small amounts of information and extrapolating it to extreme degrees. That is again kinda something you see with games but if there's one line in an Ultimania interview people will assume that not only is it irrevocable canon but it is the most important thing in the world to the writers and should be taken as such. Likewise any time any writer says anything in an interview it gets treated at his tremendous dire thing where if it's positive then it is gushing praise and if it's negative then it's clear proof (person/character/concept/whatever) was widely hated forever.

I guess part of it is the telephone game from Japanese to English so that any snippet of info gets magnified but it's still weird to see.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wait, explain how Vaan was relevant? The game was very clearly Ashe and Basch's story with some significant Balthier bits, and Vaan's stuff with his brother and wanting to be a sky pirate was almost entirely ancillary and felt shoved into the narrative. Characters in the game have moments of "wait, who the hell are you?"

I was googling to make sure that I wasn't full of poo poo or misremembering the game and found this essay that lays it out pretty succinctly.

I did an essay for it as part of the XII LP but the short of it is.

First: To the claim that he was thrown in at the last minute. This is dumb and stupid and you're stupid if you believe it. Vaan was the last of the player characters to be made but the first to ever be drawn. Also, Ha to Basch even having main relevance to the plot, the man has about 36 lines in the whole game, and is one of the most passive characters in the game.

Second: Vaan never wanted to be a Sky Pirate. He says as much to Ashe when the game was addressing the next of your points the "Wait, who the hell are you?" He only ever said it because he was depressed by the situation he was in, and it was better than saying "My brother is dead, I'm a poor orphan on the streets and nothing will ever change or get better." He flat out says this in game. His admission of this is why Vaan stops being able to see the Occuria's visions, because he got over his need for revenge and became ineligible for being one of their chosen.

The characters ask Vaan "Why are you here" because it is a wonder, in character, why he has in fact decided to tag along without giving his reasons. He does give his reason to Ashe "Because I felt if I came with you, I would find a purpose." And in fact, he does find his purpose, in guiding her from making the biggest mistake of her life (Giving in to the Occuria.) He is Ashe's mirror. They, on the same day, lost their family, to the same man, in the same event. They grew up hating Basch, and trying to deal with despair. They were both so thirsty for Revenge the Occuria picked them as candidates to enforce their will on history. The only difference is Vaan grows out of it, he accepts his world view was narrow, and was sick of running away from his issues. Jahana is a massive turning point for the characters. Ashe, in the very scene prior, refuses to aid Larsa, because of who he is. It is talking to Vaan that makes her change her mind, and then in the very next scene he teases her about it.

On top of the Pharos, as Gabranth is baiting her to give into her hatred and seek revenge, she looks to Vaan, he calms down from his own rage and then explains that killing Gabranth isn't going to bring anyone back. Then she dispels the vision of Rassler the Occuria had been using to guide her. Because the dead are dead, and revenge wont bring them back.

EDIT: Vaan's goal is not to save the world, it's to help Ashe to not destroy it, because she is on the path to becoming the new Dynast-Queen. She is an angry and vile person when you meet her, dismissing the entire party, being rude, seeking destruction. A major theme of the game is characters standing firm to face the decisions they previously ran from no matter how hard it is. Balthier, who is probably the third major main character, ceases to flee from his duty when he's the only one who can do something and stays behind on the Bahamut to guide it down. Fran previously ran away from the Woods, severing her home from herself. Gabranth's main conflict with Basch is that Basch got over his failures as a knight in the past, failing country and king, and kept his honor and dignity, when Gabranth himself became like a dog snapping up whatever left overs that were thrown his way.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 26, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Vaan isn't the real main character" and "Vaan was thrown in at the last minute" are just memes that people repeated to each other so much over the last 10 years that they eventually became fact in their minds.

Kind of like "Cloud is a whiny sad boy".

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Logged in to the SE site and it says that ff15 has been shipped. But I haven't received an e-mail notification and there's no tracking number. Checked my spam folder and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

"Vaan isn't the real main character" and "Vaan was thrown in at the last minute" are just memes that people repeated to each other so much over the last 10 years that they eventually became fact in their minds.

Kind of like "Cloud is a whiny sad boy".

Which are usually instantly debunked with the slightest bit of research, like the first ever screenshots for FFXII being Vaan in the Salikawood long before the game was released