Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's why so many imperial builds go to Palp to fix dice.

It's ok to take a break for a few weeks if you're not having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Test your dice and remove the ones that roll consistently below average from your pool. I took out two dice recently that rolled 47 blanks (red) and 62 blanks (green) out of 100 tests and chucked them out the back door, and my dice luck has substantially improved since then. To keep it as consistent as I could, I also reduced the number of dice I take with me to any given event to 4 of each, and made sure those 4 were the ones that rolled closest to consistently average (the temptation to include the one that rolled 20 crits 40 hits was strong, but fairness won out).

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Strobe posted:

Test your dice and remove the ones that roll consistently below average from your pool. I took out two dice recently that rolled 47 blanks (red) and 62 blanks (green) out of 100 tests and chucked them out the back door, and my dice luck has substantially improved since then. To keep it as consistent as I could, I also reduced the number of dice I take with me to any given event to 4 of each, and made sure those 4 were the ones that rolled closest to consistently average (the temptation to include the one that rolled 20 crits 40 hits was strong, but fairness won out).

I wonder if you can water test X-wing dice, like you can with d20s.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Probably, but I'm a weird loser who actually likes manually testing dice.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

But I just finished a league game of Dengaroo vs. Whisper/Vessery/Bomber and due to Dengar whiffing on two attacks in the same round against Whisper (rolled 10 blanks including LW re-rolls), and due to 4 consecutive whiffs on R5-P8, it came down to Manaroo and Whisper. Whisper gunned her down... and R5 FINALLY came through with a hit. Time for Final salvo. His 9 dice against my 4. I rolled 4 blanks.

This is probably small, but if you only had Manaroo and he only had Whisper, it should have been 2 v 4, not 4 v 9.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

I wonder if you can water test X-wing dice, like you can with d20s.

water testing? do you like dunk them and see if there's air bubbles that cause them to flip around or something?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyonero posted:

This is probably small, but if you only had Manaroo and he only had Whisper, it should have been 2 v 4, not 4 v 9.

It was mutual destruction. We were both at 1 hp. He shot me down and I countered and got a hit with R5.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Finster Dexter posted:

water testing? do you like dunk them and see if there's air bubbles that cause them to flip around or something?

Dice are generally made of material that is buoyant in salt water. If there's a weight problem or they are unbalanced, they will unerringly spin to the same side after being disturbed. It's easiest to do with dice that have large numbers of regular faces, since getting to the next face isn't a significant investment in momentum/whatever. I don't actually know if it works with d8s.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Finster Dexter posted:

http://makezine.com/2015/06/16/check-balance-gaming-dice/

Like this

edit:
You could also switch to the dice app. Should theoretically be more random

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Finster Dexter posted:

It was mutual destruction. We were both at 1 hp. He shot me down and I countered and got a hit with R5.

Dengaroo has 4 dice max in final salvo though? Both Dengar and Manaroo have a primary attack value of two.

e: wait you're dengaroo and he's whisper, nevermind.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Both regionals dice and painted ships make your dice roll better.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Both regionals dice and painted ships make your dice roll better.

I know this is a fact and I have neither :negative:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

TFA core set is $15 on coolstuffinc right now.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005
I'm having trouble parsing Constable Zuvio. If he has a Conner Net and he reveals a reverse, can he dump it out the front before moving? Or, does he need a pattern analyzer to dump it out the front after moving? I know with the tech he could go out the back after moving.

Shenanigans +1: If he is stressed and reveals a reverse, does it still count for his ability? He would go white two forward either unable to drop the bomb because he is stressed or over his own bomb he just dropped?

VikingPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 23, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VikingPenguin posted:

I'm having trouble parsing Constable Zuvio. If he has a Conner Net and he reveals a reverse, can he dump it out the front before moving? Or, does he need a pattern analyzer to dump it out the front after moving? I know with the tech he could go out the back after moving.

Shenanigans +1: If he is stressed and reveals a reverse, does it still count for his ability? He would go white two forward either unable to drop the bomb because he is stressed or over his own bomb he just dropped?

I would say yes. Zuvio explicitly overrides the rules for dropping bombs so he drops connor nets without an action in the movement phase.

If he was stressed i think he could drop a bomb before immediately moving straight over it.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Aramoro posted:

I would say yes. Zuvio explicitly overrides the rules for dropping bombs so he drops connor nets without an action in the movement phase.

If he was stressed i think he could drop a bomb before immediately moving straight over it.

I mostly wasn't sure because Deathfire has the "as a free action" tacked on, while it is missing on Zuvio. If that works, I am ready to call Zuvio underrated already.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Inspired by rebels, I am trying to make a list with all three clone wars ships. Like one arc, one ywing, one z95

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I imagine I missed discussion on this during my hiatus, but did the heavy scyk errata make the m3a slightly less garbage? I have a handful of them I got for manglers back in the day that I haven't actually tried to put in a squad for years.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dulkor posted:

So I imagine I missed discussion on this during my hiatus, but did the heavy scyk errata make the m3a slightly less garbage? I have a handful of them I got for manglers back in the day that I haven't actually tried to put in a squad for years.

They are less garbage now, I've tried them a bit but not a huge amount, 20 points for a Cartel Spacer with a Mangler Cannon. At 2(3)/3/3/1 with an ok dial isn't too bad. You can build a Serrisu for about 30pts but then I would question if you're getting value from your point really.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

VikingPenguin posted:

I mostly wasn't sure because Deathfire has the "as a free action" tacked on, while it is missing on Zuvio. If that works, I am ready to call Zuvio underrated already.

It seems clear from Zuvio as far as I can see that it doesn't take an Action and nor do you have to be able to take an action to drop a bomb like a Connor Net. That means you could do it whilst stressed but you would then immediately fly through your own bomb so maybe not such a great idea.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Aramoro posted:

They are less garbage now, I've tried them a bit but not a huge amount, 20 points for a Cartel Spacer with a Mangler Cannon. At 2(3)/3/3/1 with an ok dial isn't too bad. You can build a Serrisu for about 30pts but then I would question if you're getting value from your point really.

The cartel spacer with mangler is not very good. If it was, the 20 point protectorate or 20 point kihraxz fighter would be good because they're all very similar.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Panzeh posted:

The cartel spacer with mangler is not very good. If it was, the 20 point protectorate or 20 point kihraxz fighter would be good because they're all very similar.

Im not saying its good, its not too bad. It's better than the kihraxz by virtue of having a mangler cannon and a much better dial. The Kihraxz has 1 more health and 1 fewer agility which comes out at a bit of a wash really.

Like if you have 80 pts of a list already made you could do worse than slot one of these in to kite around at range 3 as it gains nothing by going in close.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Much better dial? It's almost identical except for the green three forwards and the three instead of four k-turn.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Endman posted:

Much better dial? It's almost identical except for the green three forwards and the three instead of four k-turn.

Being able to do a 3 K-turn good, a 3-5K turn is just more flexible than 4-5K turns, the extra 3 green gives you more options when you need to drop stress. The Scyk dial is better than the Khiraxz one, how much better is personal preference but having flown both quite a bit I think the Syck one is much better.

Obviously both are garbage compared to the Protectorate Starfighter.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Aramoro posted:

It seems clear from Zuvio as far as I can see that it doesn't take an Action and nor do you have to be able to take an action to drop a bomb like a Connor Net. That means you could do it whilst stressed but you would then immediately fly through your own bomb so maybe not such a great idea.

The threat of cluster mine straight out the front is a pretty big deterrent for closing in on him. Mines just need to be more reliable. Some kind of scum only crew that lets you reroll cluster/prox mine results would be nice.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

Aramoro posted:

The redeeming things I am thinking about are that if a bomb template overlaps two ships, the person who drops it gets to decide who it affects, so you could dunk a Conner net on somebody and choose to have it hit them and not you with the right situation, or something like cluster mines where you hit the middle one but may leapfrog the two on the sides (I haven't actually measured if that works).

I also have a thing for ion bombs, where hitting yourself isn't terrible, and Dead Man's Switch where it is encouraged.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dulkor posted:

Somewhat. Friend took it to top 16 in a typical meta in a location with above average players last weekend. It's a slightly better sniper now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

I know this is a fact and I have neither :negative:

It's also a good excuse for me to say "your ships didn't want to damage my paint jobs" when they shoot glancing hits at my guys. Instead of me getting on my confirmation bias soapbox again since they conveniently forgot their previous turn's 100% hit rate.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmmm zuvio is great for bumping. Think about. Bumps, then next turns goes backwards 1 and fires a mine forward 1, right onto whoever he bumped

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if you could parallel park a quad jumper between two braking shuttles.

Gonna have to set up a Pilot's Ed scenario

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

In casual games I love flying a pair of Cartel Spacers in Heavy Mangler Scyks. I think it's because they always get poo poo on when the topic comes up that makes them fun to field. It's even better when they Mangler some cocky ace off the board.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've seen HLC mindlink sycks do serious work now that manaroo is a thing. 4/3/3/1 is a great stat line when you can token stack

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've seen HLC mindlink sycks do serious work now that manaroo is a thing. 4/3/3/1 is a great stat line when you can token stack

Similarly I've been using an Ion Scyk to decent effect alongside Ketsu and a Fang in a mindlink list. They're a lot more durable when they have focus/evade every round, and the dial really isn't all that hampering when you can get your focus from another source if you get stressed.

I'm feeling like Fenn, Serissu and Manaroo might actually be a pretty solid Thing.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My FLGS is having a sale tomorrow but the only X Wing stuff with a discount are the Tantive IV and a bunch of Imperial ships. Since I play Rebels, is there any Imperial ship I should get (besides for getting the cool model)?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Looks like Amazon has a deal on Defenders

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

radlum posted:

My FLGS is having a sale tomorrow but the only X Wing stuff with a discount are the Tantive IV and a bunch of Imperial ships. Since I play Rebels, is there any Imperial ship I should get (besides for getting the cool model)?

TIE Phantom and Interceptor are both real fun.
So are Defenders.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Alpha Squadron Pilots are arguably the best pilots in the game (!!)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
So did mine. I got the Ghost. :getin:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

In minor news; the X-wing Squadron Builder's "Random Squad" button is a tad broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In minor news; the X-wing Squadron Builder's "Random Squad" button is a tad broken.

Well, that's definitely an unexpected outcome. Seems legit random, 10/10

• Locked thread